Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"I don't get..."

Spaceman Spiff

Originally posted by jrockster77

To be honest, I can't understand why people don't appreciate Hendrix...

This is not a Hendrix bash, but because he didn't stay in tune and his recordings were very lo fi and his tone often sucked.

Those can all be spun as positives as well, but I appreciate Hendrix, but I honestly only enjoy a few of his songs. That doesn't mean I don't respect how he changed guitar playing, I just can't get past how bad it sounds.

Guest sith lord

Well, if you look at the staggering success of the Beatles, its kind of hard to argue that they did not revolutionize pop music. I mean, the term "The Beatles" doesn't only refer to the band anymore, it refers to an entire era/culture/way of life. There are only a few bands that have experienced the type of success the Beatles did. Michael Jackson springs to mind immediately, and possibly Led Zeppelin.

Come on, you know you can't judge "true" talent by the amount of popularity an artist achieve or the amount of albums he/she has sold. Is Modonna a revolutionary artist? What about Eminem or 50 cent? I would say no. but are they very popular? Yes. Do they sell a lot of albums? Yes.

Originally posted by codeorama

Totally agree. Hendrix took guitar playing to another level, until EVH, he blew that level away. That's not taking anything from Jimi, but EVH enspired a generation of guitar players to learn a new technique in guitar playing.

You also had guys like Uli Roth and Yngwie Malmsteen who ushered in the Neo-Classical stuff, but they didn't have anywhere near the cultural impact of Hendrix and EVH in the way Rock music just was.

There wouldn't have been either of those guys without Les Paul, though... ;)

Guest sith lord
Originally posted by rictus58

I don't get figure Skating. Sith Lord, What is it about the figure skaters that keep you glued to your screen?

What are you talking about?

TV: Seinfeld, Friends. Never really got into either one. Not bad shows, just didn't hit it off with me. Much of the reality tripe on TV.

Movies: Star Wars. Great movies, but not worthy of the hype. I would only call the first one (IV A New Hope) a classic. Maybe VI (Return of the Jedi). The rest I could of done without.

Music: Basically anything created in the past two decades that has been hyped up. Just haven't really gotten into any of it. It's not all bad, just haven't found anything in a long time that makes me say wow, now that's new, innovative.

Originally posted by ntotoro

You also had guys like Uli Roth and Yngwie Malmsteen who ushered in the Neo-Classical stuff, but they didn't have anywhere near the cultural impact of Hendrix and EVH in the way Rock music just was.

There wouldn't have been either of those guys without Les Paul, though... ;)

Exactly.

Your list was on. You can say that Steve Vai is a better player than EVH, but he didn't change guitar playing.

That's how you define an innovator IMO.

Totally agree. Hendrix took guitar playing to another level, until EVH, he blew that level away. That's not taking anything from Jimi, but EVH enspired a generation of guitar players to learn a new technique in guitar playing.

Yeah, but you have to wonder how it would have gone down if Hendrix had never died. And I'm sure Hendrix inspired his fair share of guitarists. Plus, I'm sure EVH was inspired by Hendrix, so you have to give credit down the line, right?

And I'd bet if you ask any guitarist today who their inspirations were, they'd probably list both (among others, maybe).

Originally posted by sith lord

Come on, you know you can't judge "true" talent by the amount of popularity an artist achieve or the amount of albums he/she has sold. Is Modonna a revolutionary artist? What about Eminem or 50 cent? I would say no. but are they very popular? Yes. Do they sell a lot of albums? Yes.

1st off, spell Madonna correctly if you are going to reference her.

Secondly, You are right, its not necessarily about the amount of records you sell. Its about your influence on your society, the mastery of your craft, and your influence on those who follow in your footsteps.

Originally posted by sith lord

The Beatles produced more #1 singles and albums than any other band/artist in history. They have 6 albums that have sold more than 10 million copies, one of them 30 years after were no longer a band (Their compilation of #1 hits). Eminem has probably sold 10 million records, but he has like 4 albums out or something like that. Not even a comparison.

As of May 2005, Led Zeppelin has 5, and is the only group even close to that kind of success.

http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2005/05/0508.cfm

Yeah, but you have to wonder how it would have gone down if Hendrix had never died. And I'm sure Hendrix inspired his fair share of guitarists. Plus, I'm sure EVH was inspired by Hendrix, so you have to give credit down the line, right?

And I'd bet if you ask any guitarist today who their inspirations were, they'd probably list both (among others, maybe).

I think Hendrix's death did elevate his status, for sure, and I think EVH said that Clapton was more of an influence to him.

I think my point was that EVH created something new on guitar. Hendrix just played louder and crazier, he didn't add any new technique that millions copied, the techniques he was using were already out there. Again, I'm not trying to minimalize Hendrix, but EVH's influence was alot greater IMO.

During Jimi's time, you had Beck, Clapton, Page and a few other GREAT guitar heros.

EVH blew everyone away with a new tone and two handed tapping and a new guitar style (strat with humbucker) and eventually led the way for the Floyd Rose trem.

Guest sith lord
Originally posted by rictus58

1st off, spell Madonna correctly if you are going to reference her.

Secondly, You are right, its not necessarily about the amount of records you sell. Its about your influence on your society, the mastery of your craft, and your influence on those who follow in your footsteps.

I'm sorry, I pressed o instead of a.

The Beatles produced more #1 singles and albums than any other band/artist in history. They have 6 albums that have sold more than 10 million copies, one of them 30 years after were no longer a band (Their compilation of #1 hits). Eminem has probably sold 10 million records, but he has like 4 albums out or something like that. Not even a comparison.

As of May 2005, Led Zeppelin has 5, and is the only group even close to that kind of success.

Led Zeppelin made a heck of a lot more money from touring than the Beatles.... ;)

EVH says his main influence is Eric Clapton and he doesn't care for Hendrix that much. That's just FWIW. I'm sure a lot bleeds into any player through osmosis, but I can honestly say I hear about as much Hendrix in EVH's playing as I do in Steve Howe's... ;)

Then again I don't hear any Clapton in his playing, either, but what can you do...

I think Hendrix's influence comes from the fact that he took these Bluesy sounds, cranked them up, mixed them with a bit of Rock and Psychedelia and was just crazy. No one was using Strats really to play harder Rock music. Before EVH came along, no one had ever carved out a Strat body to stick a humbucker in it. Seems simple now, but no one did it before EVH. People always take the torch and run with it, but those two guys were icons because of their contributions.

Nick

Guest sith lord

You can say the same thing for Micheal Jackson. But would I call him a revolutionary artist? No. And I like Micheal Jackson.

Politics - The right's infatuation with Ronald Reagan and the left's with JFK.

Music - Why every Vietnam movie has to have CCR music in the background. CCR - great band - great music - but c'mon - every movie?

TV - MASH was set in the Korean War. However, it was about the Vietnam War. Great show none the less. I never got the appeal of The West Wing.

Movies - The Godfather bein a classic. What? Why? Never got that.

But the biggest thing I don't get - is how Demi Moore looks better now at 42 than she did any other time in her life. ;)

I think Hendrix's death did elevate his status, for sure, and I think EVH said that Clapton was more of an influence to him.

I think my point was that EVH created something new on guitar. Hendrix just played louder and crazier, he didn't add any new technique that millions copied, the techniques he was using were already out there. Again, I'm not trying to minimalize Hendrix, but EVH's influence was alot greater IMO.

During Jimi's time, you had Beck, Clapton, Page and a few other GREAT guitar heros.

EVH blew everyone away with a new tone and two handed tapping and a new guitar style (strat with humbucker) and eventually led the way for the Floyd Rose trem.

Yeah, you're right. But technically, Eddie didn't invent finger tapping; but he didn't copy anyone either.

While he did not originate the finger tapping technique, he copied no one and refined it to an art through various unusual applications. In interviews, Van Halen has credited Jimmy Page's guitar solo from the song "Heartbreaker" (Led Zeppelin II) as the inspiration for developing this techinque.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Van_Halen

Yeah, you're right. But technically, Eddie didn't invent finger tapping; but he didn't copy anyone either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Van_Halen

Actually, the guitar player from Genesis was the first guy to have two handed hammerons recorded on an album.

What Eddie "invented" was fretting a note then Tapping 12 frets above to get a harmonic sound, kind of like the beginning of "Girl Gone Bad".

But whether he invented the 2 hand hammerons, he is clearly the guy that made it popular.

Originally posted by T.E.G.

But the biggest thing I don't get - is how Demi Moore looks better now at 42 than she did any other time in her life. ;)

Debatable. She has purple gums... ;)

Movies - The Godfather bein a classic. What? Why? Never got that.

What I get out of it is that it was really the first mob film to depict the higher-up element and not just the street thug. It almost made you feel for them, even though they were ****s and criminals.

Combine that with the cinematography, the quotes and music that have been made part of our cultural fabric since then and the actors spawned from it and it becomes a classic. That's just what I get from it, though. Brando's career was dead before then. Pacino was just a stage actor no one wanted to give a chance. James Caan... who? The guy from Brian's Song? ;)

The movie I don't get is Citizen Kane. Now that is one movie that gets praise to no end, but I just don't get why.

Nick

Actually, the guitar player from Genesis was the first guy to have two handed hammerons recorded on an album.

What Eddie "invented" was fretting a note then Tapping 12 frets above to get a harmonic sound, kind of like the beginning of "Girl Gone Bad".

But whether he invented the 2 hand hammerons, he is clearly the guy that made it popular.

He was definitely great; I'm sure you know more about guitar history than I do. I haven't studied it at all, just what I know from casual reading and such. And some opinion thrown in as well. ;)

Archived