Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Tommy Cruise didn't tell you about Scientology

Westbrook36

Originally posted by T.E.G.

No, but some do claim that it's a false religion. Which was what I was trying to assert when those comments were made, albeit clumsily.

I still think the outcry on this board over scientology is nonsensical. The idea that this 'cult' will brainwash our cousin, aunt, uncle, brother, mom, etc...should be a little too much even for the Reynold's Wrap wearing crowd to ingest.

;)

I'm probably going to get lambasted for this, but all religions employ a little bit of brainwashing, no? I mean, they have their set of beliefs, and in the case your parents are in the same religion and took you to church every Sunday, have been forcing them on you since birth. Maybe forcing is the wrong word, but I'd still consider it brainwashing. For example in Christianity, the penalty for not accepting part of the faith or whatever is hell. Its easy to get your get out of hell free card, but the punishment is still very severe. For a Christian, hell is the worst place you can be (except maybe San Francisco).

I'm not trying to single out Christianity, the same sort of thing is apparent in most religions. I personally grew up Unitarian Universalist, who encourage you to formulate your own beliefs based on a few "guidelines." There is no hell and thus no extreme punishment.

I'm pretty much against organized religion for this reason. I think its great that people can use religion to pick up the pieces, find strength in Jesus and all that, but its just not for me. I mean, wasn't it Protestantism that was created by Henry VIII just so he could get a divorce? Kind of silly....

Originally posted by jrockster77

I'm probably going to get lambasted for this, but all religions employ a little bit of brainwashing, no?

So does our public educational system, for the record. What is your point? Do cults promote free agency and free thought? What major religion does not promote free agency and free thought?

Originally posted by portisizzle

So does our public educational system, for the record.

I guess it depends on where you go to school. I went to HB Woodlawn in Arlington (anybody know/heard of it?) and was encouraged to think freely and push myself.

And if you f-up in public school the worst thing they can do is expel you. But you'll still be alive and won't be burning for eternity.

What is your point? Do cults promote free agency and free thought? What major religion does not promote free agency and free thought?

Just putting it out there; people are saying that Scientology brainwashes people, and I was pointing out that all religions brainwash people. Its just the way it is.

As far as free-thought and free-agency, first demonstrate to me how other religions do promote this. Most religions have a certain path, or possible a few paths, to the ultimate goal. (Nirvana, Heaven, Blisstonia, etc.). Outside the box thinkers are not normally welcomed into most religions. All you have to do is look at science history and you'll get a zillion examples of this.

jrock,

I suppose you have never been to San Francisco. Outside of the Castro district - it looks like almost every other major city - except their is no smog (thanks to the winds that push into the Valley) and that the women are more beautiful (imho). Also, the temps that hover between 50-75 F all year.

What say you Destino?

p.s. If thats worse than hell - then buy me property please. :D

Originally posted by jrockster77

Outside the box thinkers are not normally welcomed into most religions. All you have to do is look at science history and you'll get a zillion examples of this.

Because free thinkers question things and use reason where as most religions discourage that, you just have to have faith... Religion says that you already have all the answers, free thinkers are always seeking the truth and are open to endless possibilities.

jrock,

I suppose you have never been to San Francisco. Outside of the Castro district - it looks like almost every other major city - except their is no smog (thanks to the winds that push into the Valley) and that the women are more beautiful (imho). Also, the temps that hover between 50-75 F all year.

What say you Destino?

It was just a joke based on the popular notion that San Francisco is populated by gay people. Add that together with the fact that Christians think gay people are going to hell, and you see my sarcasm... :)

My buddy actually lived in San Francisco for a couple years and loved it. I plan on visiting the city one day, definitely.

Originally posted by codeorama

Because free thinkers question things and use reason where as most religions discourage that, you just have to have faith... Religion says that you already have all the answers, free thinkers are always seeking the truth and are open to endless possibilities.

:cheers:

jrock,

I suppose you have never been to San Francisco. Outside of the Castro district - it looks like almost every other major city - except their is no smog (thanks to the winds that push into the Valley) and that the women are more beautiful (imho).

If indeed they are woman!!!:laugh: :laugh:

:jk:

San Francisco is gorgeous. I'm straight as an arrow, but I'd live there if I could get super high paying work there to compensate for the outrageous cost of living. It's like the American Florence.

Despite all the stereotypes, I've never seen openly gay people frolicking about when I've visited there. It's far, far more prevalent in NY, for example.

Originally posted by Riggo-toni

San Francisco is gorgeous. I'm straight as an arrow, but I'd live there if I could get super high paying work there to compensate for the outrageous cost of living. It's like the American Florence.

Despite all the stereotypes, I've never seen openly gay people frolicking about when I've visited there. It's far, far more prevalent in NY, for example.

Or Dupont Circle, for that matter!

I was kidding about the San Francisco comment. Trust me, I've been to South Beach, Miami, which is the undisputed champion of openly gay men. Key West holds it own as well. Actually, you could argue that Key West has more openly gay people, seeing as how the end of Duval street is one big gay party.

• 4 months later...

Scientological Circles

Large geoglyphs in the surface of the New Mexican desert have been discovered by an Albuquerque news channel.

Turns out, the glyphs mark the location of a subterranean archive-complex "built into a mountainside" by the Church of Scientology.

PH2005112601068.jpg

The futuristic archive "was constructed to protect the works of L. Ron Hubbard, the late science-fiction writer who founded the church in the 1950s. (...) The archiving project, which the church has acknowledged, includes engraving Hubbard's writings on stainless steel tablets and encasing them in titanium capsules."

Ironically, this is exactly what I've been doing with my old BLDGBLOG posts...

From the Washington Post: "'Buried deep in these New Mexico hills in steel-lined tunnels, said to be able to survive a nuclear blast, is what Scientology considers the future of mankind,' ABC's Tom Jarriel said in his report. 'Seen here for the first time [are] thousands of metal records, stored in heat-resistant titanium boxes and playable on a solar-powered turntable, all containing the beliefs of Scientology's founder, L. Ron Hubbard.'"

But the deep desert glyphs may not only be geographical markers: "Former Scientologists familiar with Hubbard's teachings on reincarnation say the symbol marks a 'return point' so loyal staff members know where they can find the founder's works when they travel here in the future from other places in the universe. 'As a lifetime staff member, you sign a billion-year contract. It's not just symbolic,' said Bruce Hines of Denver, who spent 30 years in Scientology but is now critical of it... 'The fact that they would etch this into the desert to be seen from space, it fits into the whole ideology.'"

I'm probably going to get lambasted for this, but all religions employ a little bit of brainwashing, no? I mean, they have their set of beliefs, and in the case your parents are in the same religion and took you to church every Sunday, have been forcing them on you since birth. Maybe forcing is the wrong word, but I'd still consider it brainwashing. For example in Christianity, the penalty for not accepting part of the faith or whatever is hell. Its easy to get your get out of hell free card, but the punishment is still very severe. For a Christian, hell is the worst place you can be (except maybe San Francisco).

I'm not trying to single out Christianity, the same sort of thing is apparent in most religions. I personally grew up Unitarian Universalist, who encourage you to formulate your own beliefs based on a few "guidelines." There is no hell and thus no extreme punishment.

I'm pretty much against organized religion for this reason. I think its great that people can use religion to pick up the pieces, find strength in Jesus and all that, but its just not for me. I mean, wasn't it Protestantism that was created by Henry VIII just so he could get a divorce? Kind of silly....

Actually the start of protestant religions is not Henry VIII, King Henry started the Anglican church(Church of England). The beginning of protestant religions starts with Martin Luther and his 95 theses against the Catholic church. He translated the New Testament from Latin to German so all could read. Something Catholics don't believe in because only "the Pope" can translate God's word. Of course there were many other reasons Luther split from the Catholics, there's 95 of them, good read if you ever get the chance. I had to do a research paper in college about them because they are considered a major turning point in the history of civilization, which was what the course was titled.

jrock,

What say you Destino?

eh? I've never been to San Fran or any of the west coast at all. I want to but whenever I have the time and money to travel I go somewhere like Vegas or Cancun instead.

The reason people view scientology correctly as a cult is because it functions like a cult. When people become Christians they don't suddenly stop talking to all of their non-Christian former friends unless they join a particularly insane sect and become "God Warriors" like that crazy fat lady. Scientology demonizes those that are not in the club, it's members often distance themselves from loved ones. Also I have never once been told by a priest to avoid mental health professionals, which even those of you critical of Christianity have to admit sends up some serious red flags.

There is more of course, the way this cult defends itself by trying to destroy outspoken critics. There have been accusations, backed up with evidence, of false accusations, multiple lawsuits filed from several scientology owned seperate entities to tie you up in court...there are more but I can't remember.

The money thing is pretty bad too. The fact that you have to pay a insane amount of money to gain rank in this group and that the true beliefs of the faith are not revealed until you do. It just stinks of cult and scam to me.

The reason people view scientology correctly as a cult is because it functions like a cult. When people become Christians they don't suddenly stop talking to all of their non-Christian former friends unless they join a particularly insane sect and become "God Warriors" like that crazy fat lady. Scientology demonizes those that are not in the club, it's members often distance themselves from loved ones. Also I have never once been told by a priest to avoid mental health professionals, which even those of you critical of Christianity have to admit sends up some serious red flags.

There is more of course, the way this cult defends itself by trying to destroy outspoken critics. There have been accusations, backed up with evidence, of false accusations, multiple lawsuits filed from several scientology owned seperate entities to tie you up in court...there are more but I can't remember.

The money thing is pretty bad too. The fact that you have to pay a insane amount of money to gain rank in this group and that the true beliefs of the faith are not revealed until you do. It just stinks of cult and scam to me.

The difference between a religion and a cult is a function of the following factors, ceteris parabis; there is no particular bright line:

1) the level of autonomy each member has, including to openly criticize or leave the group;

2) the level of openness that the organization has regarding its functions and activities;

3) how widespread the movement is.

The third is the least important of the three factors, but it's still worth considering - cults tend to resemble Branch Davidians far more than Scientologists.

It was just a joke based on the popular notion that San Francisco is populated by gay people. Add that together with the fact that Christians think gay people are going to hell, and you see my sarcasm... :)

My buddy actually lived in San Francisco for a couple years and loved it. I plan on visiting the city one day, definitely.

Let me know before you come, and I'll give you some tips to visiting the best city on Earth.

Only tip you need is to put duct tape over your a$$

I often wonder about people who are obsessed with/afraid of homosexuals. Some psychiatrists suggest that it might be a coping mechanism for them to deal with their own repressed homosexual feelings. Others suggest that they are just ignorant and fear what they do not understand. I myself take no position on the issue.

I often wonder about people who are obsessed with/afraid of homosexuals. Some psychiatrists suggest that it might be a coping mechanism for them to deal with their own repressed homosexual feelings. Others suggest that they are just ignorant and fear what they do not understand. I myself take no position on the issue.
You "often wonder" and you took the trouble to post the above but you "take no position on the issue"?

Archived