Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Chinese and Russians Spying on Trump Phone Calls

No Excuses

7 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

This is breaking news. Holy ****, what a colossal disaster this Presidency is.

This situation was not of your picking
You say that this wasn't in your plan
And don't mess around with the demolition man
I'm a walking nightmare, an arsenal of doom
I kill conversation as I walk into the room
I'm a three line whip
I'm the sort of thing they ban
I'm a walking disaster
I'm a demolition man
You come to me like a moth to the flame
It's love you need but I don't play that game
'Cause you could be my greatest fan
But I'm nobody's friend
I'm a demolition man

This would concern me if Trump had the ability to absorb and then discuss important information.  

I actually feel bad for the poor ****ing KGB guy that has to listen to Trump yammer into his iPhone all day.  "Did you see my crowd size today?  The biggest of all time.  Ted Cruz, what a loser.  Somebody bring me a diet coke."

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So am I.  I think they are pretty secure.  Especially voice data.  That’s why I wanted EXACT information.

It seems unlikely to me.

The spoof the cell phone towers. Probably a lot more crap available to Government bodies we will never know about.  

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/03/imsi_catcher_stingray_washington_dc/

https://www.wired.com/2010/07/intercepting-cell-phone-calls/

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So am I.  I think they are pretty secure.  Especially voice data.  That’s why I wanted EXACT information.

It seems unlikely to me.

What makes you think that? They are far from very secure in my understanding. 

3 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

The spoof the cell phone towers. Probably a lot more crap available to Government bodies we will never know about.  

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/03/imsi_catcher_stingray_washington_dc/

https://www.wired.com/2010/07/intercepting-cell-phone-calls/

Ok, thank you.  That makes sense.  So they have been intercepting his wireless data to spy on him.  There should be a way to encrypt that wireless data so that it can’t be hacked or intercepted and turned into actual usable information.

Like him or hate him, this is the president.  It’s 2018.  If he wants to conduct business on his cell phone then there should be a way for him to do so without being spied on by the enemy.  Didn’t Obama have an unhackable BlackBerry at some point?

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Ok, thank you.  That makes sense.  So they have been intercepting his wireless data to spy on him.  There should be a way to encrypt that wireless data so that it can’t be hacked or intercepted and turned into actual usable information.

Like him or hate him, this is the president.  It’s 2018.  If he wants to conduct business on his cell phone then there should be a way for him to do so without being spied on by the enemy.  Didn’t Obama have an unhackable BlackBerry at some point?

You can absolutely get hardened phones but it limits apps etc he likes to use.  As to encryption in the article the phone can be sending encrypted but the towers have the ability to turn that off.  

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

He won his election almost entirely based on his attacking his opponent for being reckless with email security (with no proof that she was ever hacked). 

15 minutes ago, Llevron said:

What makes you think that? They are far from very secure in my understanding. 

12 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

iPhones are not that secure for just regular people against regular hackers.

Let alone Russian and Chinese spies.

My understanding is that most people get hacked because of their own stupidity.  They willingly give away their passwords or have passwords that are easily replicated.  I think that getting into my iPhone (or android for that matter) is only easy if you have my fingerprint or figure out my passcode (which is admittedly only 4 digits because I’m a nobody and I’m too lazy for a longer one).

What would be easier would be to use a devide to intercept WiFi or LTE data and then decrypt it to get all of the input/output data.  That is illegal of course.  I wouldn’t call that hacking though, that’s more like just grabbing live data in the air.

My real concern isn’t for the president, he’s beyond lost.  It was more that somehow the Chinese have a back door built into iPhones (or androids) for the sake of hacking ANYONE.  I think this has been alleged, and denied by both Apple and dozens and dozens of IC members.

From what I’ve gathered in this thread though, it’s not really an iPhone vulnerability but the nature of wireless communications that is the issue.  But again, this is the president that we are talking about and if his preferred method of communication is using an iPhone over WiFi and LTE, then the government should ensure that it’s secure from foreign tampering.

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

He won his election almost entirely based on his attacking his opponent for being reckless with email security (with no proof that she was ever hacked). 

He has no earthly idea how email actually works.

Ah I get ya. Another way in your phone (only bring this up cause I think it’s kinda cool) is a way to send messages to your phone that basically crash it and force it to boot without any kind of password needed. ****s cool. Basically anything can ban hacked if you have enough time and willpower. 

7 minutes ago, Springfield said:

My understanding is that most people get hacked because of their own stupidity.  They willingly give away their passwords or have passwords that are easily replicated.  I think that getting into my iPhone (or android for that matter) is only easy if you have my fingerprint or figure out my passcode (which is admittedly only 4 digits because I’m a nobody and I’m too lazy for a longer one).

What would be easier would be to use a devide to intercept WiFi or LTE data and then decrypt it to get all of the input/output data.  That is illegal of course.  I wouldn’t call that hacking though, that’s more like just grabbing live data in the air.

From what I’ve gathered in this thread though, it’s not really an iPhone vulnerability but the nature of wireless communications that is the issue.  But again, this is the president that we are talking about and if his preferred method of communication is using an iPhone over WiFi and LTE, then the government should ensure that it’s secure from foreign tampering.

Taking any phone and actually trying to circumvent the passcode is very difficult even for the best.  Intercepting cell traffic is much easier.  They do have secure cell phones for him to use.  The act of making them secure limits the functionality in ways he doesn't care for, so he just uses the iPhone.  

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Ah I get ya. Another way in your phone (only bring this up cause I think it’s kinda cool) is a way to send messages to your phone that basically crash it and force it to boot without any kind of password needed. ****s cool. Basically anything can ban hacked if you have enough time and willpower. 

Once heard an interview with a former White House staffer who was now a reporter. He was asked about how different traveling on Air Force One was from flying commercial. 

He said that the thing he missed most was coming down the stairs, where there was a table set up by a sergeant from the Army Signal Corps, who would hand him a cell phone for whatever country it was, already programmed with the in-country phone numbers of the rest of the entourage. 

And a note, warning every person that every cell phone has a code that can be sent to it, which will cause the phone to become a switched-on transmitter, without ringing. And that all personnel had to get rid of all cell phones before discussing any classified information. 

3 minutes ago, Larry said:

And a note, warning every person that every cell phone has a code that can be sent to it, which will cause the phone to become a switched-on transmitter, without ringing. And that all personnel had to get rid of all cell phones before discussing any classified information. 

Thats exactly what happens here at work. We send people over seas with what amount to burner phones that we warn people not to put any classified information into it any of their personal info on. We also can’t have them in some rooms and meetings. 

It it freaked me out that I didn’t know any of this before I started working here. And now I use my phone less. 

Archived