Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Panthers

KDawg

Let's get right to it:

Positive:

EDIT TO ADD THIS:

-The team fights. Non stop. Aside from New Orleans I haven't seen the team really just throw in the towel. That's a good trait to have. And I'm not 100% sure they gave up against New Orleans vs. the fact they ran in to a buzzsaw.

-Paul Richardson is a good wide receiver

-Vernon Davis and Adrian Peterson continue to be the best two "skill" players on the offense.

-Kapri Bibbs should have made the team day one over Perine/Kelley. He's a weapon. Not quite to Chris Thompson's level, but he is a better inside runner than Thompson and is a better than average receiving threat. He's got pretty good vision, too.

-Defensive line is pretty stout against the run after an initial scare.

-Josh Norman bounced back from adversity and had a good game. Love when he brings that fumble punch to the game.

-Bergstrom isn't terrible in run blocking. He had a few nice seals and logs. He also whiffed a few times, but he made enough good blocks to make me say, "whew".

Negative:

-After being praised as the best corner on the team, Dunbar has been exposed the last two weeks. I don't think he's bad, persay, but he's back down to Earth a touch which might wind up being a good thing for him. I like him. This doesn't really belong in the negative column.

-Linebackers. All four linebacker positions... Our inside linebackers never play down hill. They don't cover well. The one thing they do is move sideline to sideline well. They are also good tacklers, I don't recall them missing many... But they're always 3-4 yards downfield because they don't attack the LOS on the run. I'm not sure if that's schematic or them. It's not good either way. And our outside linebackers don't really generate any kind of pass rush. They are better against the run, but there has been very little pressure. The whole point in playing a zone defensive is to pressure the QB with the four man rush and force it to throw to the zones. I'd start blitzing the inside backers more considering they aren't getting downhill on their own and play man behind it more often. Will we get beat? Yup. Are we already? Yup. Might also cause more mistakes from the offenses we face.

-Our pass protection is not good. Especially inside. Replacing two linemen because of one injury continues to be an issue, in my opinion. 

-Even though the pass protection isn't good, our grizzled quarterback doesn't look so grizzled. He looks panicked and nervous back there. Deer in headlights. I'm hoping a lot of it is that he's still getting comfortable with the system, but man... He has not looked good so far as a Redskin. I don't think we had our franchise quarterback on the roster last season, but so far it's not looking like we have one this season either. Here's to hoping he finds his footing.

-We are awful in the second half. It's actually scary how bad we are. No lead is safe. That is not a trait you want in your team. We don't seem to change anything at half time and we're happy to ride the storm a bit and see what happens. 

There's a lot of other stuff that could be talked about, but I'll let you guys fill in the blanks a little and I'll add to those points throughout the thread.

Yeah, I wanted to keep Kirk badly, but saying that, I certainly don't think he was "deserving" of the elite money he was demanding. It was obvious the powers-that-be had screwed up the whole thing a couple years ago and that it wouldn't happen, so I was ready to begrudgingly welcome this "upgrade" and, as our idiot owner said, "breath of fresh air" in the form of Alex Smith.

Both Cousins and Smith going to new teams and picking up new systems. 

Here's how things are looking at this point in the season. 

PASSING YARDS

Cousins - 4th

Smith - 23rd

COMPLETIONS

Cousins - 2nd

Smith - 21st

COMPLETION PERCENTAGE

Cousins - 11th

Smith - 26th

YARDS

Cousins - 4th

Smith - 23rd

TDs
Cousins - 8th

Smith - 26th

RATING

Cousins - 14th

Smith - 26th

Upgrade? Breath of fresh air? 

image.png.99526dbbba63685c366de76fb0a528be.png

What's scary is the guy is close to being on pace for a 4000 yard passing season, too. Kirk threw for 4093 last year. 

The difference between the two, in my eyes, is how they screw it up.

Cousins was on point for a large portion of the game. Dude was just reliable... Until clutch time when he'd make a bad decision or turn the ball over.

Smith is erratic and all over the place all game long. But he'll connect on a play and make you say, "oh that was sweet" once or twice a game. 

It's uncanny. 

1 minute ago, bakedtater1 said:

We won and are in first place in the division. I'm going to enjoy it for a week at least..y'all dissect it how ya want.

Thank you. We are. That's what this thread is for, in fact. ;)

For everyone touting how good our OLine is......me included.....they have not pass protected well in 2 straight games.  The worst part is it’s right up the middle, the worst kind of pressure for any QB.  This needs corrected, I believe it is why Alex is struggling right now.  Our O line has got to keep a clean pocket and for the most part it’s not happening.  

The run blocking seems to be there, also AP has vision like we haven’t seen in a very long time.  So the combination of both is a joy to watch.  However, the pass pro.......ugh......gotta be better, especially next week.  Dallas actual does rush the passer well.  Yuck, I just gave that awful team from Texas a compliment, someone slap me.

1 minute ago, Bigmuss1 said:

For everyone touting how good our OLine is......me included.....they have not pass protected well in 2 straight games.  The worst part is it’s right up the middle, the worst kind of pressure for any QB.  This needs corrected, I believe it is why Alex is struggling right now.  Our O line has got to keep a clean pocket and for the most part it’s not happening.  

They didn’t just start giving up pressure in the middle, been that way for seasons.

2 minutes ago, Bigmuss1 said:

The run blocking seems to be there, also AP has vision like we haven’t seen in a very long time.  So the combination of both is a joy to watch.  However, the pass pro.......ugh......gotta be better, especially next week.  Dallas actual does rush the passer well.  Yuck, I just gave that awful team from Texas a compliment, someone slap me.

It was really bad against the Colts as well.  Our interior is just getting killed by stunts right now.

Gotta fix it.

3 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Kirk is enjoying the league's best pair of WRs - these guys turned journeyman Case Keenum into a Probowler.  Kirk was good, but not great. His collapse against Giants scrubs knocking us out of the playoff race is a good case in point.

Cousins played basically the same way and put up very similar numbers last year, with a bad WR corp and absolutely no running game at all. 

I agree, he is NOT great. Certainly not "elite." 

But he's miles ahead of Alex Smith right now. 

But hey, if Alex gets us a win next week, that will be a huge swing in his favor, as far as I'm concerned, as Cousins - like Jay - never beat our biggest rival at home. 

I'm not sure why they're so terrible on offense in the 2nd half, "for whatever reason" as Jay likes to say.  

I do think Richardson is catching on.  Flashed a little in the Saints game, TD yesterday.  I have a feeling he's gonna go off on one of these games here soon.  

5 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Kirk is enjoying the league's best pair of WRs - these guys turned journeyman Case Keenum into a Probowler.  Kirk was good, but not great. His collapse against Giants scrubs knocking us out of the playoff race is a good case in point.

Kirk also got it done last year with the same group (actually worse, injured Reed, Thompson) that Smith has.  

3 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Do we get a t-shirt for that or something?

Stats!!  Stats!!!  Stats!!!  Stats!!!  Just love stats!!!

wish fans cared more about Wins and Losses......Kirk had plenty of L’s.......

our team this year is 3-2!  Our O line has gotta get fixed.  Why can’t the genius Callahan figure out stunts....

I was happy to see special teams come up big yesterday. Downed a punt inside the 5, caused a turnover, decent return in the second half and Hop-along Dustin connected on a couple of long ones. It confused me at first and then I realized....Bizzaro World.

Watching the last two Carolina drives I would see P.S get pressure but he kept getting carried back past the QB almost as like he was getting punked. Dude needs to develop a move or two.

Whats with all the KC crap. We screwed that deal from the start, its over now, move on already. We just won a game kinda ugly but we won and it is Dallas week.  

20 minutes ago, TheBlueIndian said:

I was happy to see special teams come up big yesterday. Downed a punt inside the 5, caused a turnover, decent return in the second half and Hop-along Dustin connected on a couple of long ones. It confused me at first and then I realized....Bizzaro World. 

This is an undersold point! Special teams were huge for once. Great job by Hop and punt coverage unit.

I think a big part of the pass rush woes yesterday was that Manusky was scared to death of Cam escaping and killing us with his legs. His strategy worked in the first half and went bust in the second. The good thing the Redskins' O did all game was grind out long possessions. Now, too few of them wound up in points, but it did limit the Panthers' opportunities quite a bit.

OTOH, I ws pretty frustrated with how many drives seemed to just peter out just out of field goal range. I think that's why Gruden said F it and went for the 56 yarder instead of punting. We were really good at getting to the 38 yard line or so and then dying.

Archived