Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Redskins Roster Prediction

CTskin

After a couple of weeks of OTAs, training camp, and two pre-season games, the potential roster is starting to shape up. We have a few exciting UDFAs and late-rounders showing up big and we have a few season-ending injuries which put us on the same track as the last two seasons where we were the most injured team in the league. Regardless, there's still plenty of talent on this team to make a good run this year. I'm really liking what I see from Alex Smith- it's a breath of fresh air to have a QB who isn't a statue in the pocket and knows how to extend plays. (This isn't to spark the Alex vs Kirk debate, both are above avg QBs).

blob.png.2c5fd4987a87223d591e7ff44be755d4.png

Notes:

-I had 48 players locked and my last two were Vigil and Bergstrom

-We need to pick up another RB very soon. 

-I worry that the coaches will cut one or more promising young players in order to keep Hood and/or Quick

-Glad we cut Scandrick, hated the pickup in the first place

-I went with Lanier, but wouldn't be too upset if he's cut. He's just so brutally bad vs the run.

-I would like to see Hamilton, Smithson (if eligible), Pipkins, Hudson/Flanagan (whichever one was blocking so well yesterday), and Blanding/Ladler to make it to PS. 

34 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Where is Stacy mcgee? 

28 minutes ago, redskinss said:

If that's not a good sign about our new front 7 I don't know what is. 

One of our big free agent pickups from last year isn't even remembered on a final roster prediction. 

He's starting the season on the PUP and apparently may be out for the year. 

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

Is that why he wasn't listed? 

Oh ok I just figured he got overlooked.

Nevermind. 

Yea, him, Guice, and Davis aren't listed because they're not part of the cut conversation.

That being said, I hated how we addressed our DL woes a couple of seasons ago by overpaying the Mac brothers. McGee was better than McClain last season, but I wouldn't be bothered if he gets the boot also if he returns from the PUP. 

1 hour ago, CTskin said:

After a couple of weeks of OTAs, training camp, and two pre-season games, the potential roster is starting to shape up. 

I like the chart and nearly all of your inclusions. SDH makes the roster over Catalina, imho. 

So add SDH, cut Vigil. 

Then add Ladler or Nicolas, cut Catalina.

That would be my only adjustments to it. :) 

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

I like the Carter kid at RB....has Darren Sproles like quickness, and size. Would like to see him on the practice squad to learn the role of 3rd down receiving back in case something should happen to CT again. 

I'm also hoping to see more of Cobbs...

Carter and Cobbs on the practice squad would please me. 

1 hour ago, Sandy Monk said:

I like the chart and nearly all of your inclusions. SDH makes the roster over Catalina, imho. 

So add SDH, cut Vigil. 

Then add Ladler or Nicolas, cut Catalina.

That would be my only adjustments to it. :) 

Carter and Cobbs on the practice squad would please me. 

Yea we don't ever keep 10 OL, so I'm certainly wrong there. In regard to the PS, I'm with you, we will have a couple skill position players and I'd be fine with those two.

If I were Kalis and Catalina, I’d have worked hard on learning the C position in the offseason, especially Catalina after Geron Christian was drafted.  

On the bright side, I thought Kalis was the better player last preseason, but was cut due to Catalina’s ability to play tackle...  With Nsheke and Geron in the fold, hopefully the best man (guard) wins this go around.  

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

I think Hood is a lock, he was with the first teamers last night and looked goo at his natural position.

Phil Taylor has not played a snap I don't think , I'm thinking he is the odd man out.

This is the DL that I'd put money on, if to fill that last DL spot, yes. 

I've actually been REALLY surprised that Phil has not been out there at all. I'm almsot positive he did not play against N.E. either. It's really odd. I know they probably wanted to see what they had in Settle, but after 5 years, I'd want to see what I had in Phil, too. I still don't get it.

3 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I've actually been REALLY surprised that Phil has not been out there at all. I'm almsot positive he did not play against N.E. either. It's really odd. I know they probably wanted to see what they had in Settle, but after 5 years, I'd want to see what I had in Phil, too. I still don't get it.

Trying to remember an injury report, as there has to be an injury that is keeping him out of PS so far.  

Just reading OTA stuff about a severe quad strain, so maybe that is lingering on. 

5 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

Trying to remember an injury report, as there has to be an injury that is keeping him out of PS so far.  

Just reading OTA stuff about a severe quad strain, so maybe that is lingering on. 

Good to know, I had no idea about that. I wonder that is going to mean in the next couple of weeks for him.

The team did keep 10 OL one year recently I believe. But that's more the exception than the rule. I'd really love to see someone beat out Tony Bergstrom, just not sure if anyone else can play center. Which seems to be the biggest reason he's normally considered a strong bet to make it. I'd be shocked if Shaun Dion Hamilton didn't make it. I'd also like to see one more safety, as I'm not sure Apke's ready (but he's made some plays) and Everett is more a special teamer type. Drop one OL and add a safety. I also suspect Taylor doesn't make it. Though a healthy Taylor has looked good. I'm not a fan of Ziggy Hood, but there's not many other options there.

35 minutes ago, dyst said:

Hood at least can give you one snap a game. Phil hasn’t played in 10 years. If it comes down to those two, you have to keep Hood.

That's pretty much spot on. I mean Taylor has looked great...when healthy. He just never is. Even if Taylor somehow makes it to September healthy, he probably goes down in Week 1 or something. But, do you cut a healthy Taylor? He probably won't be healthy, so it's likely moot. I just wish someone else could beat out Hood. Beyond Payne, Allen, Settle, Ioannidis, and Lanier is there anyone remotely approaching Hood? I think he makes it, I'm just not ecstatic about it.

There's always a few guys every year I hope don't make the team. Not because they're bad people, but because they're so mediocre and offer no upside. You just wish someone else shows enough potential to force the team's hand. When these players make the roster, its more an indictement of the competition. It's how guys like Kedric Golston or Reed Doughty stuck around so long. Being better than the alternatives. This year I'd include Shaun Lauvao, Tony Bergstrom, Brian Quick, and Ziggy Hood on the list. And even though he's not that old, I'm not sure Rob Kelley has much growth in him either. But it looks like most of them will make the final 53.

28 minutes ago, Jericho said:

That's pretty much spot on. I mean Taylor has looked great...when healthy. He just never is. Even if Taylor somehow makes it to September healthy, he probably goes down in Week 1 or something. But, do you cut a healthy Taylor? He probably won't be healthy, so it's likely moot. I just wish someone else could beat out Hood. Beyond Payne, Allen, Settle, Ioannidis, and Lanier is there anyone remotely approaching Hood? I think he makes it, I'm just not ecstatic about it.

There's always a few guys every year I hope don't make the team. Not because they're bad people, but because they're so mediocre and offer no upside. You just wish someone else shows enough potential to force the team's hand. When these players make the roster, its more an indictement of the competition. It's how guys like Kedric Golston or Reed Doughty stuck around so long. Being better than the alternatives. This year I'd include Shaun Lauvao, Tony Bergstrom, Brian Quick, and Ziggy Hood on the list. And even though he's not that old, I'm not sure Rob Kelley has much growth in him either. But it looks like most of them will make the final 53.

I'd agree with 2 of those, 3 with slightly difference circumstances. Quick and Bergstrom are very likely gone, and that is a good thing. I'd be ok with Lauvao, IF he was Vet depth with a low pricetag. Otherwise I'd love to have 2 guys beat him out, hes replacement AND a depth guy that is better.

As for Hood, now that he is FINALLY NOT PLAYING OUT OF POSITION, he's actually playing well. He locked down the left side of the DL, with the first team and there was no running room to his side at all. So, I'd keep Hood, he's really good depth playing DE. And he is much better against the run that Lanier is. It's not even remotely close. Hood used to get blown back all the time trying to place NT. He isn't giving a centimeter at DE. I actually really like what I see there.

I like Phil, but he is apparently recovering from a bad muscle pull and hasn't been playing. Right now, he's the 3rd NT. I don't think he sticks. I'd like for him to, because I like him, and I'd like to see if he can still play. But he's injured again. :unsure:

Archived