Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Uplifting Stories Thread

China

There's so much negativity everywhere, I thought it would be nice to have a place for the good stories to break up all the crap we are constantly inundated with and restore some of our faith in humanity.

I'll start it off with two stories:

Cyclist carries injured stray dog on his back, finds pup a forever home

Mountain biker Jarrett Little was with a group of fellow cyclists riding in the woods near Columbus, Georgia, when he spotted a creature who needed his help. It was a stray dog that appeared to have been hit by a car.

"We stopped to regroup and he came out of the woods to greet us. He was really thin, ribs showing and had a lot of road rash and a broken leg," Little told CBS News. He says he and the other cyclists fed the dog and gave him water, but knew they couldn't leave the dog in the woods. Little didn't have a car to transport him, just a bike. So he hoisted the pup onto his back, and rode into town looking for help.

rdBoi-1531856758-tile_image-114239.png

Little said once they arrived in Columbus to search for help, he and the pup met a woman who took an interest in him. Andrea Shaw, who was there on a business trip, started talking to Little about the stray he had biked in from the woods.

"Right when we returned to my local bike shop to get him some more water and food, we instantly ran into Mrs. Andrea who was in town from Maine," Little said. "She decided to keep him and get him checked out medically." Little says Shaw took the dog off his hands, and not only got him medical help, but a new home.

Click on the link for the full article

--------------------------

Alabama college student walks almost 20 miles overnight to first day of work; CEO gives him his car

What started as every employee's worst nightmare had a pretty happy ending for Walter Carr, 20, a college student from Alabama.

The night before Carr's first day on the job, his 2003 Nissan Altima broke down.

He called his friends and his girlfriend to try to get a ride, but nothing worked out. He checked his GPS and saw that without a car it would take him about 7 hours to get from his house in Homewood, Alabama, to the town of Pelham for his first day at Bellhops moving company. 

He decided to walk.

Carr started his 20-mile trek sometime around midnight.

"I wanted to be there before 8," he said. "I wanted to beat the crew members there to let the company know how dedicated I am."

He made it about 14 miles to Pelham when police officers stopped him on the side of the road around 4 a.m. 

"He was like, 'Where are you going?' and I was like, 'It’s hard to believe, it’s going to sound real crazy, but I’m actually headed to work.'" Carr said.

When they heard his story, the officers decided to take him to breakfast at Whataburger and made sure he got something for lunch, too.

Carr said the officers debated for a little while where they could safely drop him off and eventually landed on First Methodist Church. The officers said they would send someone to check on him.

Carr rested for a while before he started walking again. He had less than 4 miles to go when another officer pulled up to check on him.

"He said, 'Are you Walter Carr?' and he was like, 'Get in the car, I got you,'" Carr said.

The officer dropped him off at the home of Jenny Hayden Lamey, who Carr was scheduled to help move that day. Carr said once the officer told Lamey and her husband Chris his story, they insisted he rest for a while.

"They were overwhelmed," he said. "We argued about five minutes about me resting."

After the moving job was done, Lamey, impressed by Carr's determination, shared his story on Facebook.

Lamey's post went viral and caught the attention of Luke Marklin, the Bellhops CEO, on Sunday morning. Marklin said he started getting texts about Carr's story and got his team together to figure how they could thank him.

Marklin met Carr on Monday to thank him and decided to gift him his personal Ford Escape. Carr was surprised, to say the least.

"I think he was pretty happy," Marklin said, laughing. "His resolve to get through challenges is just something that legends are made of, really."

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Agreed. Too many debby downers on this board lately. I have a whole lot more uplifting videos I was in the process of posting but I was driving at the same time and accidentally ran over a puppy. Ill be back to raise everyone’s spirits after I’m done cleaning my tires. It’s... pretty messy. Could take a few hours.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Agreed. Too many debby downers on this board lately. I have a whole lot more uplifting videos I was in the process of posting but I was driving at the same time and accidentally ran over a puppy. Ill be back to raise everyone’s spirits after I’m done cleaning my tires. It’s... pretty messy. Could take a few hours.

There is probably little bits of skull and brains all around your cv boots.  Give it a good washing.  You might want to change your air filter too.  Mine gets puppy fur in it on occassion, really effects performance

The Carr story reminds me of a friend. She was in college at JMU at the time and her brother, an undercover cop, was shot in the line of duty. He was in critical condition. Her parents couldn't come get her because they were with brother in the hospital. Every police dept between Harrisonburg and Fairfax Co relayed her until she got to the hospital. Brother survived. 

• Like 4

Woman Comes Home And Finds Stranger Getting Cozy On Her Couch

Last Sunday night, Oregon resident Lauren Taylor entered her living room — and was met with quite the unusual surprise.

A pair of yellow-brown eyes were staring up at her from behind the couch.  

It was a mountain lion.

tmg-article_tall.jpg

Apparently, someone had left the back door open, and the curious cat had wandered right in after drinking from a fountain in the yard. Taylor’s housemate noticed the animal first and shrieked, causing the lion to retreat behind the couch.

Taylor, who has previously worked in wildlife rescue and also practices energy healing, knew they’d have to give the cat a lot of space and remain calm to encourage her to leave safely. Taylor saw the lion lie down, so she quietly went outside to keep watch through the window.

To her surprise, the lion was fast asleep.

tmg-article_tall.jpg

As the minutes passed on, and Taylor remained outside, the lion continued to sleep. Eventually she woke up and noticed the human staring in at her. Taylor began blinking slowly at her — which in feline body language signifies that you pose no threat.

“I gazed lovingly, then blinked hard and then she did it back,” Taylor said. “Then, she went back to sleep.”

tmg-article_tall.jpg

Taylor remained outside for nearly six more hours as the lion continued napping behind the couch.

“It was just a couple hours to dawn and we needed to prompt her to leave without alarming her so much that she panicked,” Taylor said. She and her housemates slowly opened a few more doors and started lightly tapping a drum from a safe vantage point at the top of the stairs.

As quick as the lion came, she left.

Click on the link for the full article and a reverse of the original story in this thread with a dog helping an injured cyclist

• Like 4

‘WeChat, Alipay, I don’t really know how to use them’: US passenger in China accidentally pays 100 times his taxi fare

The incident happened on Monday in Xian, capital of northwest China’s Shaanxi province, when the driver, Zhang Peng, was checking his WeChat wallet, Chinese Business Gazette reported on Wednesday.

He noticed that one of his customers had paid 6,500 yuan for a 65 yuan fare. Based on the time stamp, Zhang guessed that the payment had probably been made by a group of four people he had picked up at the railway station and taken to a hotel.

After first asking his taxi firm’s dispatchers if they could help to track down the group – they could not – Zhang decided to see if they were still at the hotel where he had dropped them, which they were, the report said.

After explaining the situation at the reception desk, Zhang was reunited with his passenger and explained what had happened.

As a reward, Liu told Zhang to give him back just 6,300 yuan, but the ethical driver was having none it, and insisted he return the full amount, less the real fare, the report said.

------------------------------------------

‘I just can’t say enough:’ MCTS bus driver helps blind man when construction changes his route

MILWAUKEE -- Navigating road construction is difficult enough -- now image doing it with your eyes closed. A blind Milwaukee man must make his way through the orange barrels every day, but he's getting some help from an unexpected source.

Diabetes stole Gene Hubbard's sight but not his independence. The 69-year-old is still working.

"No, I don't have any plans to retire," said Gene Hubbard.

Gene takes the county bus, alone, to and from his office every workday. His routine for 20 years, Gene knew every step of the way -- until road construction threw him off course.

"If I don't have a regular locating point to start from, I may as well be in the middle of the ocean," said Hubbard.

A woman snapped a picture as Thaddaus Turner, a MCTS bus driver, helped Gene cross the street. Video inside the bus shows 28-year-old Turner pull over and let Gene take his arm.

What you can't see is the line of cars that stopped to watch Thad's good deed.

"I knew I had the traffic behind me stopped, because it's only one-way through there. My concern was getting him across from the opposite direction,"said Turner.

• 1 month later...

https://amp-businessinsider-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/amp.businessinsider.com/iceland-has-made-it-illegal-to-pay-women-less-than-men-2018-1

Iceland has made it illegal to pay women less than men

• A new law in Iceland making it illegal to pay women less than men came into effect on January 1, 2018.
  •  
  • Companies will now have to obtain certification for demonstrating equal pay.
  •  
  • Iceland has been ranked the best in the world for gender pay equality for 9 years in a row.
  • Like 1

Why they would pick that noise for the first sound he heard I have no idea but watching his eyes go wide..

Cochlear implant: Deaf one-year-old hears sound for the first time

The parents of a one-year-old boy have shared the moment he heard sound for the very first time.

Max Brett, of Sutton-in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, was born profoundly deaf.

Following tests, his parents, Rebecca and Ian Brett, decided Max should have a cochlear implant fitted - an electronic device that helps you hear.

Click on the link for the video

• Like 1

https://www.cnet.com/news/mark-hamill-praises-bullied-kid-for-following-the-jedi-way/

Mark Hamill praises bullied boy for following 'the Jedi way'

A Jedi knows that when battling the dark side one must always take the high ground rather than immediately reach for a deadly lightsaber.

And that's exactly what 10-year-old Aiden Vazquez did when he was face-to-face with violent bullies at his Desert Hot Springs, California, school.

Aiden was hospitalized after bullies reportedly called him names, punched him in the face and stole his backpack at school on Monday. He left with several stitches to close a wound above his eyebrow.

*Click Link For More* 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Homeless-Football-Player-Finds-Residency-at--493748891.html

DC Athlete Kicked Off Team Due to Homelessness Is Offered a Home

A homeless high school football player who was kicked off of his school's team because he did not have a permanent address has been offered a home, and school officials say he'll be put back on the team. 

Jamal Speaks, an 18-year-old running back for the Ballou High School Knights, is being recruited by Temple University.

But he recently was kicked off the D.C. high school's team, as News4 reported. 

D.C. Public Schools officials said the District of Columbia State Athletic Association determined that Speaks was eligible to play, but they said the District of Columbia Interscholastic Athletic Association (DCSAA) ruled that he was ineligible because they could not verify his address.

A local shelter for homeless youth, Covenant House Greater Washington, heard Speaks' story and offered him a home, they announced Wednesday. 

"After hearing that Jamal was experiencing homelessness and at-risk of losing the ability to pursue his dream of attending college and playing football, I knew that CHGW had to help," the organization's CEO, Dr. Madye Henson, said in a statement.

D.C. Public Schools said Wednesday that Speaks can now practice and play with his team.

"With the best interest of the student and the entire Ballou Knights football team in mind, we are working with DCSAA to resolve this matter as quickly as possible," the district said in a statement.

Speaks told News4 he's homeless and sleeps on friends' couches. He said his father is deceased and he doesn't have a relationship with his mother. 

Ward 8 Council Member Trayon White and local sports reporter Monet Anderson helped advocate for him. 

• 1 month later...

When Helicopter Upsets Tennis Player With PTSD, His Teammate Abandons Game to Comfort Him Using a Song

This tennis team not only earned approval from the crowd for their winning serve—but also for their emotional sportsmanship when things got rough.

At the 2018 Invictus Games, an athletic tournament for injured and disabled military service players in Sydney, Australia this week, while thousands of people enjoyed its inspirational platform, one match in particular struck a chord with the players.

UK tennis player Paul Guest was engaged in a match alongside his Dutch teammate Edwin Vermetten, competing against an American team, when a helicopter flew over the stadium.

Guest, who had serve with the British Armed Forces, uses a wheelchair due to neck and spinal injuries sustained while on duty in 1987. Years later, he was diagnosed with PTSD – so when he heard the aerial vehicle buzzing overhead, he suddenly became overcome with anxiety.

His teammate, Edwin Vermetten, noticed that Guest was visibly upset and immediately abandoned play so he could rush over to the UK veteran and console him during his time of need.

Wheelchair_Tennis_1200x800.jpg

Vermetten embraced Guest and whispered words of encouragement until he could recover from the debilitating episode.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tampa millenial rescues Zeus, the missing kiteboarding dog, in most millenial way possible

TAMPA — Millenial Miguel Camacho is a hero to the family that spent five days searching for their stolen dog Zeus. And he saved the day in the most millenial way possible: By checking Facebook on his phone.

Camacho was in a West Tampa park on Thursday, studying for a test that evening for his journeyman electrician’s license. He finished early. So he did what most millennials with some time to kill would do: He took out his phone and started scrolling through Facebook.

A friend shared an article about a kiteboarding dog. He clicked on it.

He learned the 7-year-old, 17-pound black and white dog had been reportedly stolen on Sunday by a white man in his 60s or 70s in a gray sedan.

While he was reading, a gray sedan pulled up near him. Out walked a white man in his 60s or 70s, Camacho said. Then he pulled a black and white Jack Russell Terrier out from the car.

“I was sitting there, reading the article,” Camacho said. “The guy pulls up, gets out the car, grabs the dog and I’m thinking, man this looks just like that dog.”

He took a photo of Zeus with his phone and sent it to the number listed in the story at about 4:55 p.m.

“Hey man, that’s my dog,” Cameron Maramenides told him over the phone.

The police were called, but said they could do nothing without the dog’s owner present. Cameron Maramenides asked Camacho if he could keep on an eye on Zeus and his apparent abductor. But it was getting close to test time. Still, Camacho said he could hear the pain of their loss in the family’s voices. He wanted to help.

Camacho got in his car and followed the gray sedan for a few miles. Then the driver stopped, got out and asked Camacho why he was following him.

“I believe that dog isn’t yours,” Camacho said he told him. “I’m on the phone with his owner right now.”

Camacho then walked to the gray sedan and called out the name “Zeus.” The dog jumped up and ran to him, Camacho said, and together they drove off. He was going to miss his test.

A short while later, Camacho and Zeus met the Maramenides family in a parking lot at WestShore Plaza.

And his professor let him re-take the test once he explained what happened.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Colorblind California deputy sees 'different world' after receiving special glasses from fellow officer

A colorblind California sheriff's deputy saw an "absolutely unbelievable" world when he was gifted a pair of glasses that allow him to see color.

Jeff Dishmon, a correctional deputy with the Humboldt County Sheriff's Office, was ecstatic when he received the glasses, made by the company Enchroma, from Samantha Freese, a fellow correctional deputy.

"What do you see?" Freese asked in a video published to the sheriff's office Facebook page on Wednesday, after she helped him put the special glasses on over his other glasses.

"A different world," Dishmon replied, crying as he saw a set of rainbow balloons.

Dishmon, according to the Facebook post, has been colorblind his entire life, "which has sometimes been a source of frustration for him and others around him."

"For the first time in my life, I see all the colors," the deputy said, as he looked out across the field, during a phone call with his wife. "You wouldn't believe this place. This whole place is lit up. I mean, the whole world is lit up."

Click on the link for the full article and video

• Like 2