Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thai soccer team trapped in cave

Springfield

They are done for the night and will resume in 10-20 hours.  Everything I’m reading says that 4 boys were rescued, that they were among the healthiest of the group.  Aside from the boys and coach, there are many rescuers who still need to make it out alive as well.  Still lots of work to do.

11 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

How were they doing it? Like what were they able to do today that they couldn’t before? This sounded like teams of divers were going in 

from the number involved they are probably stationing divers along the route to pass them along(because of restricted space in areas)

that would allow assistance from both sides

add

getting the kids healthy enough and training them in scuba in those conditions is quite time consuming.

Edited by twa

13 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

How were they doing it? Like what were they able to do today that they couldn’t before? This sounded like teams of divers were going in 

I don’t know exactly how, but from what I’ve read, the rain seems to have held off and once they make it to a certain chamber it’s basically just walking out.  I think they’re trying now because the monsoon hasn’t quite hit yet and now is the best shot.

Some reports coming out conflict a bit (ie: 6 reported rescues vs the 4 official), so it will probably take a few days at least to get the complete picture of what’s happening.

Heroism, either way.

8 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Not that they couldn't before, but I can't even imagine the logistics involved, much less the science (learning more). This is a truly monumental effort, and it warranted the only comprehensive tweet from Trump ever. 

Not to turn this political...

... Nevermind, I won’t.

• Haha 1

Interesting piece by WaPo that presents the 25-year-old assistant coach in a slightly different light:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/he-loved-them-more-than-himself-how-a-25-year-old-former-monk-kept-the-thai-soccer-team-alive/2018/07/07/b4100076-815e-11e8-b3b5-b61896f90919_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.cf6070afe990&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

‘He loved them more than himself’: How a 25-year-old former monk kept the Thai soccer team alive

MAE SAI, Thailand — The head coach of the Thai soccer team spent the morning of June 23 preparing his young assistant for an important task: looking out for the boys by himself. 

Nopparat Khanthavong, the 37-year-old head coach of the Moo Pa (Wild Boars) soccer team, had an appointment that morning. Ekapol Chanthawong, his assistant, was to take the younger boys to a soccer field nestled by the Doi Nang Non mountain range, a formation with numerous waterfalls and caves that straddles the Thai-Myanmar border. 

“Make sure you ride your bicycle behind them when you are traveling around, so you can keep a lookout,” he wrote in a Facebook message he shared with The Washington Post. Ekapol coaches the younger boys, so Nopparat told him to bring some of the boys from the older team for additional eyes.

“Take care,” he wrote.

The hours that followed kicked off a chain of events that has riveted the world: a dramatic search and rescue that found the boys alive nine days later, huddled on a small, muddy patch surrounded by floodwaters. Attention has focused on the only adult, 25-year-old former novice monk Ekapol, and the role he has played in both their predicament and their survival.

Efforts to extract the boys have involved a swelling team of thousands of divers, engineers, military personnel and volunteers from all over the world — including Elon Musk’s SpaceX — with no clear plan in sight. Diving, the most probable method, is seen as too risky for now given the boys’ lack of swimming experience, pitch-black muddy waters through narrow passageways, and the death this week of a retired Thai Navy SEAL who was among those readying the cave for the boys’ dive. Engineers have been searching for a way through the mountain’s surface, hoping to drill down and reach them within the cave, but acknowledge it could take months and alter the cave’s geography in the process. 

As the rush to figure out how to rescue the group continues, some have chided Ekapol for leading the team into the cave. A large warning sign at the cave’s entrance raises the risk of entering so close to the monsoon season, they say, and he should have known better.

But for many in Thailand, Ekapol, who left his life in the monkhood three years ago and joined the Wild Boars as an assistant coach soon after, is an almost divine force, sent to protect the boys as they go through this ordeal. A widely shared cartoon drawing of Ekapol shows him sitting cross-legged, as a monk does in meditation, with 12 little wild boars in his arms.

Edited by dfitzo53
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From what I saw, they had a rope along the path to be followed.  They had a diver in the rear, then a bou in the middle wearing a full face mask (those are cool btw, never tried one but a friend has one) then a diver in front leading the way and carrying the boys tank.  

23 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Still think they should leave the coach down there.  Idiot.

I'm sure the guy will live with his decisions for the rest of his life. I don't get why we have to always find someone to be so angry at in these cases. I'm sure bad decisions led to this situation, but I'm also sure they were simply mistakes. Seems like more than ever our society has to find someone to be outraged at. 

Anyway, I'm so happy to see the news that they are up to 6 rescued kids. I hope they keep the momentum and pace going! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Musk is an interesting human being.  I wonder what the cost of having rocket scientists quickly design, fabricate, and deliver an underwater rescue pod would normally be?  Musk just did it because it caught his interest, not knowing if they even wanted to use it.  

8 minutes ago, Destino said:

Musk is an interesting human being.  I wonder what the cost of having rocket scientists quickly design, fabricate, and deliver an underwater rescue pod would normally be?  Musk just did it because it caught his interest, not knowing if they even wanted to use it.  

He fancies himself a tony stark i think.  

Anyway, can we get a major shout out to the divers who found these boys?  Feeling their way through hundreds and hundreds of meters of muddy water, with incredibly strong currents.  In the pitch black, feeling their way around trying to make their way deeper into the cave, squeezing thru 14 inch gaps that require them to suck in, no way to know even which way is up.  I just cant even wrap my head around that kind of skill level

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2018/07/03/meet-the-british-a-team-divers-at-the-center-of-thailand-cave-rescue/&ved=0ahUKEwiK4b2GwZPcAhUG21MKHcl0A7AQFggnMAE&usg=AOvVaw1Xuou6DeVrjZ5S-neCig90

Turns out the British, though presiding over a crumbled empire and largely irrelevant in everything from politics to sports, can still serve a purpose

DVnJjw0VoAAlZVE.jpg

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Positive PR is worth the million or two he'll spend on it.