Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Lawsuit: Harvard ranks Asian-Americans lower on personality traits

zoony

Gingers get asked about their heritage ALL the time, also.   If its probably just interest and curiosity, treat it as such, unless there are other clues that make it seem more sinister....

I think in general people should BOTH try harder to be more polite, and ALSO try harder not immediately take offense.     There is no bigger dick than the asshole that starts off a sentence with "I guess i am just not PC, but......."        But the people that get offended every time somebody turns-a-phrase differently than they personally would--- just give free ammunition to the "willfully-not-"PC"-assholes" everywhere.  Don't hand out get-out-of-jail-free-cards.

My wife has a southern accent that doesn't stand out so much in NOVA, but when we lived in california she would be asked where she came from CONSTANTLY.    (weirdly, a ton of people out there thought she was Australian ...!?!?)       I was raised inside the beltway, by parents raised inside the beltway... and I don;t think i have ANY accent, except that annoying NOVA talk-through-your-nose-monotone....... but on my first semester CAL teaching evaluation forms....i got !!FOUR!! comments on my cute southern accent   :cheers:      you can TELL when someone is casting daggers, otherwise its all just conversation.....  roll with it.      

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I am only envisioning this type of interaction. I don't imagine you're fielding too many "where you from, boy" questions walking to the store, are you?

You'd be surprised. I moved to NYC a few years ago and that interaction rarely happens now given the size and diversity in this city. 

But back when I went to a large state school in PA, and even growing up in the suburbs of DC, it happened more than I think a lot of people would imagine. 

On 7/3/2018 at 12:55 PM, zoony said:

This is an interesting case.  Im not sure how the specifics will play out, but to the larger issue, Im siding with Harvard.

For business hiring, the resume is almost meaningless, the interview is almost everything.  Why should it be any different at our nations highest learning institutions?  There is more to life than being the child of a tiger mom and suffering under a dictator where you were forced to study 16 hours a day, take violin lessons, and build the greatest paper admission standard possible.  Obviously this is not anywhere close to all asians, but i do think its fair to say that this is prevalent in the asian community, much moreso than any other subculture in the US

On the contrary, I am also fine with Universities handicapping certain groups, definitely those from low income communities and single parent households.

A black kid from Memphis with a B+ average being raised by his grandmother is way more impressive than any tiger parents child with perfect grades etc., or a white kid from Boston whose parents and grandparents attended harvard.  Right?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/15/politics/harvard-admissions-asian-american/index.html

I agree with this to an extent.  I think definitely that the context in which a student (or anyone else) earned their qualifications matters a lot.  I don't think it's "Tiger Moms vs. Not Tiger Moms" I think it's about the obstacles the kid had to overcome to be a B+ student vs being given every opportunity to succeed and getting As.  

On 7/3/2018 at 1:05 PM, DogofWar1 said:

If this weren't Harvard they'd probably have an easier time defending themselves.

However, when you have stuff like this happening:

it makes it tougher to defend practices like the above one.

Will the students prevail?  No idea.  But the fact that this is Harvard makes it very interesting.

Well, to be fair, EVERY SCOTUS justice currently on the court went to Harvard or Yale, so Trump is 100% status quo on this one.  

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Well, to be fair, EVERY SCOTUS justice currently on the court went to Harvard or Yale, so Trump is 100% status quo on this one.  

Right, but that's precisely why its a little different than most other schools.  Harvard/Yale is basically a super exclusive club in judicial circles.  So if you've got an asian kid trying to be on SCOTUS one day, I could see the harm

That being said, I think on the balance Harvard has a strong edge in this case.  There's just too many things Plaintiffs have to overcome.

12 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Right, but that's precisely why its a little different than most other schools.  Harvard/Yale is basically a super exclusive club in judicial circles.  So if you've got an asian kid trying to be on SCOTUS one day, I could see the harm

That being said, I think on the balance Harvard has a strong edge in this case.  There's just too many things Plaintiffs have to overcome.

I gotcha.

Although, again, tough for an asian kid to argue that not getting into Harvard was the proximate cause of them not becoming a justice (especially given that there has never been an asian justice). 

3 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Actual ****ing questions my wife gets from strangers and/or random co-workers.

Is she hot looking?....that could explain it.

8 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I gotcha.

Although, again, tough for an asian kid to argue that not getting into Harvard was the proximate cause of them not becoming a justice (especially given that there has never been an asian justice). 

Missed it by this much.

e212147e-5e82-48e9-8598-17018518d8cb.jpg

On 7/6/2018 at 11:16 AM, Riggo-toni said:

Yeah, it all depends on whether they are Formosan (indigenous) or ethnic Chinese...It's like Greek vs Turk Cypriots.

The only ones I have had the experience of having that exchange take place with are people from mainland China.

35 minutes ago, Xameil said:

The only ones I have had the experience of having that exchange take place with are people from mainland China.

Back in the early 80s my father worked with the Formosan independence movement - 2 of his close friends had fled from the Kuomingtang - I think one of them had a father who had been executed by Chang Kai Shek's goons when they invaded - so I started with the opposite experience.  Their movement was satisfied once Taiwan embraced democracy, and the person my father was closest to (an artist for/about whom my father wrote two books) is now considered a celebrity in both Taiwan and also the mainland (which is eager to embrace him in order to claim him as part of one China...). 

On 7/6/2018 at 2:13 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

I agree with this to an extent.  I think definitely that the context in which a student (or anyone else) earned their qualifications matters a lot.  I don't think it's "Tiger Moms vs. Not Tiger Moms" I think it's about the obstacles the kid had to overcome to be a B+ student vs being given every opportunity to succeed and getting As.  

Is this case about undergraduate admission or getting into Harvard Law School?

On 7/6/2018 at 2:00 PM, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Minus. It's the whole, not having a soul thing.

That can be a big plus, dependent on the position you are hiring for.

Archived