Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Remember That Time..." Thread

Sacks 'n' Stuff

4 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I remember the cadence and build-up of each week...it was almost more enjoyable to me than the actual games themselves. Sunday would bring a critical game (they were all critical because we expected playoffs) and then...

Monday: Reading through WaPo articles, re-hashing the game with friends, watching the evening news to get the 5-minute segment on the game with highlights...

Tuesday: Another couple articles (usually some unique feature or quirk from the game), checking the standings in the paper

Wednesday: Start to look to next week and break down the match up, maybe thrown the Turbo around outside before dinner pretending to be Gary Clark

Thursday/Friday: Watch some preview shows on evening TV, talk about the upcoming game with friends, listen to Ken Beatrice break down the match up

Saturday: Watch college football, watch more preview shows and weekly NFL pick shows on Saturday evening

Sunday: Read every word about the day's game in the WaPo, watch the pre-game shows (CBS and NBC), GAME TIME

Honestly, the amount of analysis/discussion per minute of play is so unique with football. I filled up a week as a 10 year old with a few TV shows and a paper. Imagine a successful/contending team in this day and age with NFL Network, Twitter, this board, etc. We cover the nuances of our perennially 7-9 team. Man, think about the weeks between games if the Redskins ever have some sustained relevance! 

You forgot about Redskins Sidelines on Monday.

22 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

You forgot about Redskins Sidelines on Monday.

IIRC, channel 5 had a Redskins report on Sunday night at 11 and channel 7 had one at 1130.  I'd watch both after a win.  I think for a while channel 20 used to show the whole game (compressed sort of like NFL.COM does now) on Monday. I also remember that when I finally had a VCR, I used to tape the whole game (if tapes weren't so expensive, I might actually have some).

Remember Fox network and it's "In Living Color " halftime show they televised during halftime of the superbowl against the Buffalo Bills even though Fox wasn't televising the actual superbowl game?

Remember when lightning struck FedEx field during a preseason game vs. Baltimore knocking the power off and causing the game to end in forfeit plus  sending the crowd home after halftime ?

Nov. 23, 1997. The Redskins are playing the New York Giants at Jack Kent Cooke Stadium. The Giants are in first place in the NFC East. Washington is one game back. The score is 7-7 with 48 seconds left in overtime, and the Skins are facing second-and-10 at the New York 38. Jeff Hostetler (in for Gus Frerotte who injured himself earlier in the game by slamming his head into a wall) drops back and passes to Westbrook, who is having the game of his career, nine receptions for 125 yards. Westbrook makes a diving catch near the 25 but is ruled out-of-bounds. While arguing the decision, Westbrook yanks off his helmet, which results in an automatic 15-yard unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty. Two plays later, with 11 seconds to go, the Redskins attempt a 54-yard field goal, which falls short. The game ends in a tie.

I remember that sacksnstuff..wasn't that a Monday nighter?

Nope I was wrong it was on a Sunday I wonder if it was a Sunday night game..

It's deadful enough already saying remember when we had the hogetts..I can imagine it not being to far off when we will be saying remember when we were the only team to have a band for the team..

I can't find a video (only ones that seem to show up are Frerotte head butt videos) but I remember being at the first game at JKC stadium against the Cardinals in 1997.  Frerotte to Westbrook for 40 yards in overtime to win the game.  I thought for sure that was going to be something special when I left that day. Story

On 7/4/2018 at 11:37 AM, Darth Tater said:

How about the 2008 playoff game against Seattle?  We just take a 14-13 lead and have the ball at Seattle's 12 yard line early in the 4th quarter!

I remember right after we got the ball back (if you recall, the wind messed with our kickoff after we took the lead and we basically had the benefit of a 60 yard onsides kick) we faced 3rd down. Collins threw an out to Cooley inside the 5 which would have given us a first-and-goal. It wasn't an easy catch, but it was a play that your pass-catching TE should make. Well, he didn't, then we missed the FG, and the floodgates opened. 

If that game gets to 21-13...look out. 

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I remember right after we got the ball back (if you recall, the wind messed with our kickoff after we took the lead and we basically had the benefit of a 60 yard onsides kick) we faced 3rd down. Collins threw an out to Cooley inside the 5 which would have given us a first-and-goal. It wasn't an easy catch, but it was a play that your pass-catching TE should make. Well, he didn't, then we missed the FG, and the floodgates opened. 

If that game gets to 21-13...look out. 

I remember that the 12th man was about to be shutup and I'm convinced that this would have opened up the run game for us.  In any case, Seattle only scored one more offensive TD. 

It is also pretty weird that almost the exact same thing happened to against them in the divisional round a couple of years before. Had an easy opportunity to tie that one up late in Q4! There was also the Carlos drop of a pick 6 that might have led to a possible 10-0 half-time lead.

5 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

I remember that the 12th man was about to be shutup and I'm convinced that this would have opened up the run game for us.  In any case, Seattle only scored one more offensive TD. 

Also, can you imagine that 2007 team heading into Dallas? Despite their strong season, they weren't playing well near the end and they were beat by the Giants in the divisional round. We'd have played Dallas (1 vs 6) and the Giants would have played Green Bay. I'd have loved to see what would have happened there...

Would've been interesting to see what would've happened if we had beaten Seattle and then beaten Dallas and who knows what after that. Would Gibbs still have left, or would getting to the NFCCG or better convinced him to stay another season. I do think he would've been gone after 2008 regardless.

43 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Would've been interesting to see what would've happened if we had beaten Seattle and then beaten Dallas and who knows what after that. Would Gibbs still have left, or would getting to the NFCCG or better convinced him to stay another season. I do think he would've been gone after 2008 regardless.

Good point. I think, if anything, it might have made it tougher to hire externally. Maybe a clear succession to Williams would have occurred. In either case, I don't think 2008 turns out too much differently. It would have felt different because I doubt we'd have started so strong or finished so badly, but I would bet we'd have finished in the 6-10-to-9-7 range...

I could not resist.

Here are some clips of events mentioned in this thread. Who knows how long they will last.

D. Grant 82 NFC Title

1988 at Eagles the fake FG and then the real thing (eff you Buddy)

1989 v. Giants (Heartbreak pt 1)

1997 Frerotte/Westbrook secures 1st win at JKC

1999 v. Panthers (rough clips of game)

2007 Playoffs turning point

Remember when we picked up Barry Cofield? All I can say is Damn, things have change for him for the worse...  Obviously this is speculation, but I've got to imagine the heroin use ties back to the smorgasbord of pain killers he received during his time in the NFL.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-super-bowl-champion-giants-barry-cofield-arrested-heroin-police-chase-ramming-car/1t5li4eqpmint1865lf8c6nli7

Former Giants defensive lineman Barry Cofield has been arrested and charged on multiple counts after allegedly leading police on a car chase in Florida Tuesday, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

Cofield was found asleep in his vehicle at an intersection when officers tried to wake him, according to a police report. The 34-year-old was eventually roused and pulled through the intersection which allegedly started a chase.

In the incident in question, Cofield allegedly side-swiped a car and rammed a police vehicle before he was pulled over in a neighborhood.

When Cofield was detained officers stated he smelled of alcohol, though he allegedly refused to take a sobriety test. Officers then commenced in a search of his vehicle and allegedly found two bags of a red powdery substance which tested positive for heroin.

According to the police report, Cofield was charged with possession of heroin, fleeing and eluding, and aggravated assault on a police officer. He was also given citations for refusing to submit to a breath test, fleeing and eluding, and careless driving.

He has since posted bail.

Cofield was a member of the Super Bowl 42-winning Giants. New York defeated a then-unbeaten Patriots squad in dramatic fashion to capture the Giants' first Lombardi Trophy since 1991.

@scruffylookin - thank you!!

Re: the 2007 playoff game, I've always minimized the missed field goal during that drive. I figured that once we didn't score the TD, the FG wouldn't have helped much. Though I still think we lost that game on Cooley's "drop" and the next two plays, I've changed my mind a bit. Going up 4 would have been nice because even with Seattle's eventual TD we would have only needed a FG to tie. I think the play-calling may have been different and we wouldn't have ended the game with two pick-6's. 

One funny moment in that clip...on 3rd-and-8 when Collins is forced to call the TO, it's clear the Sellers is lined up wrong. I love how right when the TO is called he starts jawing at Collins. Collins answers right back (presumably with the formation and where he should have been) and it looks like you can just see Sellers' body language change from angry to "oh **** you're right" - hahaha

Man this thread has a depressing feel to it....

Remember when...

LaVar Arrington intercepted a pass vs Carolina to spark one of the biggest comebacks in Redskins history, down 14-0 with 10 min to go in the 4th and we ended up winning with a FG in OT.  I was at that game with my Uncle and we decided to take off in the 4th (I was 17 so I had little influence and was not driving).  As we were walking to the car, the place ERUPTED and we got in just in time to hear the recap of what had happened... I've never left a game early since.  

Miracle at Midnight.

Dec 29, 2002. Redskins vs Cowboys.  Darrell Green's final game.  Redskins win 20-14, breaking the streak of 10 consecutive losses to the Cowboys.     42 year old Darrell Green with a 35 yard punt return on an end around from Champ Bailey. 

Sept 12, 2004.  Redskins vs Buccaneers.  Clinton Portis' first regular season touch as a Redskins is a 64 yard rushing td. 

Dec 11, 2005.  Redskins vs Cardinals.  Clinton Portis takes a toss right behind Mike Sellars.  As he's about to hurdle a defender he grabs Mike Sellars jersey tail  and uses it to regain his balance upon landing.  Gaining enough balance to launch himself to the pylon for a TD.  

To continue that, that was game two of '5 in a row or we don't go' that pushed us to the playoffs that season.  

23 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Man this thread has a depressing feel to it....

Dec 29, 2002.  Redskins win 20-14, breaking the streak of 10 consecutive losses to the Cowboys.     

10 straight losses to the Cowboys when they were a very mediocre team. Ridiculous. Currently, over the past five seasons, the Cowboys have taken eight out of 10 from the Skins, one of which was basically a throwaway game for both teams at the end of the 2015 season. We haven't beaten them here in DC since the RG3/AlMo game in 2012 to win the division. Absurd. 

On 7/5/2018 at 2:51 PM, Darth Tater said:

It is also pretty weird that almost the exact same thing happened to against them in the divisional round a couple of years before. Had an easy opportunity to tie that one up late in Q4! There was also the Carlos drop of a pick 6 that might have led to a possible 10-0 half-time lead.

All of our last 4 playoff games have been weird ass losses. Doesn't make any sense.

We also haven't won a playoff game in 12 seasons ?

2 hours ago, c slag said:

Does anybody remember the Washington Federals of the USFL and did anyone ever attend a home game?

I had season tickets the first season. It was a bit interesting. Level of play was horrible. But it was the only way I could get into RFK for football. Didn't know anyone with Redskins season tickets.

22 minutes ago, Skins8989 said:

Anybody remember the 1996 Redskins? 7-1...and then....yikes.

I remember that was the final season at RFK stadium and the awesome halftime of the last game vs.Dallas when all the past players took laps around in golf carts

2 hours ago, c slag said:

I remember that was the final season at RFK stadium and the awesome halftime of the last game vs.Dallas when all the past players took laps around in golf carts

Yeah the Finale was great. But, it was kind of moot too.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:37 AM, Darth Tater said:

How about the 2008 playoff game against Seattle?  We just take a 14-13 lead and have the ball at Seattle's 12 yard line early in the 4th quarter!

I was at that game in Seattle. We had so many chances to win that game and just choked. The start of the end was getting nothing from the KO recovery at their 14. It was bad enough to not get a TD, but Suisham missing the FG was painful. It changes everything if they go up 4. But then also Landry picks Seattle off on their next drive and the offense is 3 and out. We get the 33 yd punt and a few plays later they get a TD. It was over right then.

The only positive that came out of from that season for me personally is that I saw Joe Gibbs last home game, the previous week against dallast - a great win, and his last game ever, that loss to Seattle. But it was a long flight home.

Archived