Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Remember That Time..." Thread

Sacks 'n' Stuff

2 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Remember how extremely huuuuge the shoulder pads were lol

Yes!

Before the early-1990s Cowboys changed the paradigm, the NFL was still a big man's game. Those Cowboys became fast and then every team not only added speed, but those players reduced their padding to optimize their speed. It's so different when you watch the plodding nature of the 1980s NFL. 

21 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

Those first two games of 1989 were brutal. 

We lost at NY on MNF on a last-second FG (I think it was either 47 or 52 yards and I think it was Raul Allegre). Then, we dominated Philly only to let them back in the game and ultimately not close it out. So, we could have very easily been 2-0 in the division to start the season and instead we were 0-2 and playing catch up all year. 

A few of the old Philly games have been mentioned, and another notable one was the 1988 late-season game in Philly. This one used to be on You Tube, and seem to remember the Skins getting into Philly territory and lining up for a GWFG attempt on what I think was 3rd down, then calling a fake FG attempt that fell incomplete, then lining back up for the FG on the next down, and making it and winning the game. Anyone else remember that?

I REALLY miss those late 80s-early 90s divisional battles. 

7 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

We lost at NY on MNF on a last-second FG (I think it was either 47 or 52 yards and I think it was Raul Allegre). Then, we dominated Philly only to let them back in the game and ultimately not close it out. So, we could have very easily been 2-0 in the division to start the season and instead we were 0-2 and playing catch up all year. 

It was 52 yards...….was watching it over a friend's house who was a Giants fan. Brutal. 

On 6/28/2018 at 3:56 AM, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

We've had so many major dramas, I feel like events that would be permanently ingrained in the brains of other fan bases could easily be forgotten here. Let's revisit some, shall we? Can be good or bad, on the field or off. I'll start.

Remember that time when we were down by 7 against the Bucs, scored on 5th down with less than 10 seconds left, then botched the extra point?

You son of a ****

When Pat Fischer ...

Pat was an amazing football player.  At 5'9", he had some memorable battles with 6'8" Harold Carmichael. Pat talks about it at the 5:20 mark.

A salute to one of the best, Pat Fischer!.:cheers:

:229:The Rook

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Because of MNF right? That time of year will be here soon :) 

No, more from the fact that on most Monday mornings during the fall from 1971 to 1992, you'd go to school or work knowing any trash you got about your favorite pro team was just sour grapes.  At worse it was often like "you guys barely beat these guys you should have blown out". Of course, the worse trash talk is patronizing pity smiles. My favorite comeback to a trasher is to point to the scoreboard!

42 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

No, more from the fact that on most Monday mornings during the fall from 1971 to 1992, you'd go to school or work knowing any trash you got about your favorite pro team was just sour grapes.  At worse it was often like "you guys barely beat these guys you should have blown out". Of course, the worse trash talk is patronizing pity smiles. My favorite comeback to a trasher is to point to the scoreboard!

I remember the cadence and build-up of each week...it was almost more enjoyable to me than the actual games themselves. Sunday would bring a critical game (they were all critical because we expected playoffs) and then...

Monday: Reading through WaPo articles, re-hashing the game with friends, watching the evening news to get the 5-minute segment on the game with highlights...

Tuesday: Another couple articles (usually some unique feature or quirk from the game), checking the standings in the paper

Wednesday: Start to look to next week and break down the match up, maybe thrown the Turbo around outside before dinner pretending to be Gary Clark

Thursday/Friday: Watch some preview shows on evening TV, talk about the upcoming game with friends, listen to Ken Beatrice break down the match up

Saturday: Watch college football, watch more preview shows and weekly NFL pick shows on Saturday evening

Sunday: Read every word about the day's game in the WaPo, watch the pre-game shows (CBS and NBC), GAME TIME

Honestly, the amount of analysis/discussion per minute of play is so unique with football. I filled up a week as a 10 year old with a few TV shows and a paper. Imagine a successful/contending team in this day and age with NFL Network, Twitter, this board, etc. We cover the nuances of our perennially 7-9 team. Man, think about the weeks between games if the Redskins ever have some sustained relevance! 

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Honestly, the amount of analysis/discussion per minute of play is so unique with football. I filled up a week as a 10 year old with a few TV shows and a paper. Imagine a successful/contending team in this day and age with NFL Network, Twitter, this board, etc. We cover the nuances of our perennially 7-9 team. Man, think about the weeks between games if the Redskins ever have some sustained relevance! 

Our biggest threads would be about if we should fire the coach losing in the division round.  Saw the other day that some Steelers fans want to fire Tomlin because he lost to Jacksonville (and this feeling was not just based on the emotional knee jerk right after the loss).

4 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Our biggest threads would be about if we should fire the coach losing in the division round.  Saw the other day that some Steelers fans want to fire Tomlin because he lost to Jacksonville (and this feeling was not just based on the emotional knee jerk right after the loss).

My mom and I would complain all the time about how Gibbs should have been blowing more teams out. We always would get mad at his "run, run, pass" formula and got so pissed when we'd have to punt. I'm sure I'd have started my share of threads about that. 

And about how Ricky Sanders was the key to the entire offense from 1988 through 1992. I was adamant about that fact as well. 

Archived