Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which position would you like to see the Redskins address with their first round pick?

wolfsire

Which position should we address with our first round pick?  

195 members have voted

1. 1. I'm thinking LB. A guy with a real nose for the football and all the tools it takes to make big time plays.

• QB
    • WR
    • LB
    • DL
    • OL
    • S
    • CB
    • RB
    • TE

It was nice to stroll in here and see so many of you saying NT. Hell yes we need one of those.

The issue with a first round NT is the position is cheap in the NFL. Cheap as in there are a couple of decent to good options in free agency (Logan, Poe) so they could find themselves in a pickle. 

Wait to the draft and hope that Vea makes it to them and ignore FA. Or choose FA and pick someone there to get leaving more options in the draft available to them

While taking a NT in the draft makes me happy I don’t know they wait that long to get someone. 

I say RB here. When I look at Bree's for example the Saint's were a totally different team with Kamara back there. Not so much pressure put on him in 2017.  But I must note they had a decent D.

These big backs that Gruden seems to favor have not worked out.  They get hurt.  They fumble, fall after first contact, and are not fast enough IMO. 

I think we need a very quick player with good anticipation who can also catch.  A guy who will pair well with Thompson.   No way in hell we get Barkley. But we might be able to get Bryce Love although he had two injuries this year - nothing major.    Need to set up the play action for Smith.

If not then we need a DT or a S.   Those are my thoughts for the 1st round.

We will have to address the receiver position either in FA or the draft, but the draft is not he answer IMO.   We know our TE Reed staying healthy is a coin toss; Crowder was a mixed bag this past year. Not 100% to be  relied upon, Doctson IS actually 50/50 about now BUT I think he will have a better year then what we saw as his "rookie" season.  We will have a couple of other TE's like Vernon who will pair well with Smith IMO.   But if we could make a splash at the receiver position in FA I am all for it.  

Smith needs a good RB and a good receiver if he is going to succeed.  He is Kirk's older brother for me and I don't hate the signing. Don't love it but don't hate it.  

But like GMSM labeled Cousin's as "good" and that they were signing players around him to elevate him that is what needs to be done for Smith.  Can it be done by this FO.  We will see.

I put DL because i couldn't pick 'other.'  If Payne is there.  Obviously we'll have to see how it shakes out, but the best thing would be to see Quenton Nelson there.... but i have no hope that happens.  If Mayfield or Allen falls and Buffalo gets desperate, I'd love to trade back, but if Payne is there... hes gonna be hard to pass on. 

11 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

I say RB here. When I look at Bree's for example the Saint's were a totally different team with Kamara back there. Not so much pressure put on him in 2017.  But I must note they had a decent D.

These big backs that Gruden seems to favor have not worked out.  They get hurt.  They fumble, fall after first contact, and are not fast enough IMO. 

I think we need a very quick player with good anticipation who can also catch.  A guy who will pair well with Thompson.   No way in hell we get Barkley. But we might be able to get Bryce Love although he had two injuries this year - nothing major.    Need to set up the play action for Smith.

If not then we need a DT or a S.   Those are my thoughts for the 1st round.

We will have to address the receiver position either in FA or the draft, but the draft is not he answer IMO.   We know our TE Reed staying healthy is a coin toss; Crowder was a mixed bag this past year. Not 100% to be  relied upon, Doctson IS actually 50/50 about now BUT I think he will have a better year then what we saw as his "rookie" season.  We will have a couple of other TE's like Vernon who will pair well with Smith IMO.   But if we could make a splash at the receiver position in FA I am all for it.  

Smith needs a good RB and a good receiver if he is going to succeed.  He is Kirk's older brother for me and I don't hate the signing. Don't love it but don't hate it.  

But like GMSM labeled Cousin's as "good" and that they were signing players around him to elevate him that is what needs to be done for Smith.  Can it be done by this FO.  We will see.

Will there be any RBs there at 13 that are worth that pick

3 hours ago, bobandweave said:

It was nice to stroll in here and see so many of you saying NT. Hell yes we need one of those.

The issue with a first round NT is the position is cheap in the NFL. Cheap as in there are a couple of decent to good options in free agency (Logan, Poe) so they could find themselves in a pickle. 

Wait to the draft and hope that Vea makes it to them and ignore FA. Or choose FA and pick someone there to get leaving more options in the draft available to them

While taking a NT in the draft makes me happy I don’t know they wait that long to get someone. 

I'm not so sure a good NT is as cheap and available as you think.  It's been a need for years, that's no secret.  And so far they've come up with guys like Hood, Phil Taylor etc.

3 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I put DL because i couldn't pick 'other.'  If Payne is there.  Obviously we'll have to see how it shakes out, but the best thing would be to see Quenton Nelson there.... but i have no hope that happens.  If Mayfield or Allen falls and Buffalo gets desperate, I'd love to trade back, but if Payne is there... hes gonna be hard to pass on. 

Will there be any RBs there at 13 that are worth that pick

I simply do not know what the fall off in talent is after Barkley who will probably be picked up by the Giants because they are going to role with Eli one more year and they need one too.  Cleveland is going QB IMO.   But I think Bryce Love will be there. 

if we want any chance of being successful in our division we need a decent RB.  Because the Pokes have Elliott and I think the Giant pickup Barkley.  I get that Gruden is pass happy and **** BUT look at the teams that were successful for the most part - they had RB's that made a difference. 

Are the rumors that Bell is in play - that he wants out of Pittsburg true?   

I agree if Payne is there as BPA you have to roll with him.  It is just that until we address the RB situation we are going to be passing too much and that if for Smith will lead to forces and an INT increase IMO.

While Vea and Payne will probably be very good lineman, I don’t think the answer is to no-matter-what draft DL.  Here’s why:

first off, there are decent FA possibilities and it seems like a vet would be the most effective decision to balance with the young super star DL we just drafted in the 1st round last year.  The good news is, we have excellent DL coaching, so guys like Lanier develop.  Also the draft is super deep with DL, so if we didn’t go Vea or Payne at 13, the second round offers possibilities as does the entire draft.  It’s deep at DL this year.  Give me a BJ Hill or a Poona Ford or McKenzie or even a Devonte Lampkin, and let Tomsula earn his paycheck.

To me it has to be BPA in the 1st or find a way to trade back via other teams needing QBs etc.  BPA could be Q Nelson, maybe Derwin James, Roquan... if you look at the weak FA market for a WR, though, and the glaring hole we currently have at WR, and you consider that there are basically only two elite WRs in the draft (obviously it’s very early yet), you’d have to consider Ridley or Kirk so they could come in and contribute day 1.

there are other safeties, and our safety depth is not bad actually, it’s not super but we just spent a 4th rounder on Monte and so far so good.  These kids just need to stay healthy, crazy year for injuries.  Give me Jordan whitehead later on over James.

also one more thing- our second round pick could be epic- any of these players could fall to us and we should strongly consider any of them, in no particular order:

Lamar Jackson

Mason Rudolph

Ronald Jones

James Washington

Sony?

Will Hernandez?!

malik Jefferson 

And look how much DL:

Taven Bryan?

Tim Settle

Nnadi

Lotululei

harrisin phillips

trenton Thompson 

Edge

okoronkwo

ma’atafa

dorance Armstrong Jr

i think I made my case, plenty of talent to fill needs in the 2nd if we didn’t go DL in the first.

46 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

I simply do not know what the fall off in talent is after Barkley who will probably be picked up by the Giants because they are going to role with Eli one more year and they need one too.  Cleveland is going QB IMO.   But I think Bryce Love will be there. 

if we want any chance of being successful in our division we need a decent RB.  Because the Pokes have Elliott and I think the Giant pickup Barkley.  I get that Gruden is pass happy and **** BUT look at the teams that were successful for the most part - they had RB's that made a difference. 

I agree if Payne is there as BPA you have to roll with him.  It is just that until we address the RB situation we are going to be passing too much and that if for Smith will lead to forces and an INT increase IMO.

Two things- Bryce Love is going back to Stanford for his senior year.  

The RB class is strong and a sweet spot exists in the second and 4th rounds.  Also some FA RBs should be considered, we will hopefully have the cap space to sign a vet like Hyde or McKinnon. I think that’s the move tho I also recognize still the potential of Semaje Perine and obviously CT.  I could foresee the team not adding any assets to the Rb group unfortunately, or just a late round flier.  The real issue has been run blocking and we must address the interior this offseason.  Someone pointed out that Q Nelson would be pimp but financially that’s a lot of dough to have tied up in OGs.  There are OGs in the draft that can be had later rounds too.  Consider our potential starting C was a 6th rounder last year.  Once we get healthy and add a piece here the run game should improve with the backs we already have, it’s true.

I think we all have forgotten about Bo Scarborough. Dude is a freak and will be a steal in the mid rounds I think.  John Kelly is my sleeper.  Ballage, Jaylon Samuels... Plenty of other ways to go re RB than in the 1st IMO.

52 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

Im with ya, but if Barkley doesn't fall for some unseen reason, there's nobody on the board that's even a 1st round grade imho... unless we were to trade back with Buffalo to 21 and 22.  If we were to get back there... I could see taking Michele there, and I feel like even that is a bit of a reach.  I like Chubb too but he had one of the worst knee injuries I've ever seen.. Always stays in the back of my mind.  

We have a few holes at a number of positions. I'm not sure if it matters for the next few years. As long as you get the best player available.

1. NT comes to mind, but I'm thinking Phil Taylor comes back, but who knows if he stays healthy. If not Da'Ron Payne would be a nice pickup.

2. We have no blocking TEs but you don't take a TE in the first. If you can, draft Dalton Schultz (TE) in the later rounds. 

3. WRs in the first never pans out for the Skins (I'm hoping Robert Davis steps up).

4. Going up to get the only RB I have ever been excited about getting in the first (Saquon Barkley) would cause a RGIIIish type **** storm, plus you don't know what Perine is going to develop into. But Saquon is a beast.....just sayin'.....a freakin beast!!!

**** it!!! I say go up and get Saquon at RB!!!! 

To reinforce that move, see if you can get a left guard via free agency (preferably Andrew Norwell or Justin Pugh).

My opinion: Getting Saquon and implementing more RPO with your new mobile QB would change everything!!!! 

If Saquon is not available, here's the top 10 coming out (personally, I don't see anyone other than Saqoun):

5 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Gonna be hard pressed to have any of those available with a 13th pick grade available.... I hope one of them is there! 

I don't think the Skins need to grab the best available player at those positions to upgrade them in the first round

4 minutes ago, carex said:

I don't think the Skins need to grab the best available player at those positions to upgrade them in the first round

But are any that likely will be available going to be worth taking at 13?  Or are you meaning we try to trade back if one of them doesn't fall? 

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'm not so sure a good NT is as cheap and available as you think.  It's been a need for years, that's no secret.  And so far they've come up with guys like Hood, Phil Taylor etc.

I agree they never found a “cheap” option which was why I think it’s time to spend money at the NT position this year.

Same with RB but in that positions case I think it’s time they drafted a top RB in the class. It pisses me off that going “cheap” (waiting until mid rounds to pick a guy) at the RB position cost them guys like David Johnson and Alvin Kumara. It’s time both wrongs get righted

55 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

But are any that likely will be available going to be worth taking at 13?  Or are you meaning we try to trade back if one of them doesn't fall? 

I have limited faith in BPA, I figure it's a good way to get tons of depth at one position and a bare cupboard at another.  ou don't jump rounds, but if you need  a DL and the guy available is like the 20th ranked player in the draft take him.  Seven spots isn't a huge deal

14 minutes ago, Louskins9193 said:

We need to go back to the 4-3 and draft a interior DL that can stop the run first and be able to push back the line.

we don't have the linebackers for the 4-3.  And in fact if we went back to a 4-3 line Allen, Ionaddis, and McGee would be a decent core there

Archived