Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Crowder has quietly been awesome lately

TheItalianStallion

Crowder has shaken off his early-season injury issues and been awesome lately, starting with the first Dallas game. He missed the Seattle game one week later, but even with that absence, he's had over 500 yards during the last 8 weeks, of which he only played in 7 games, which is good for over 700 yards on the season, even with his early struggles. He has a good shot at surpassing his 848 yards from last year over the final 2 games.

EDIT: I am only talking about his role in the offense. I'm not including STs, where he has still struggled.

1/10/18 update: final season tallies are 66 catches, 789 yards, 3 TDs. Considering the poor start he got off to, he wasn't far off from last year's performance. His STs issues were troublesome, though I suspect they'll prove to be 1-year anomalies.

I agree. Hopefully the fumbling issue is cleaned up in the off season but other than that he has been reliable. I'm glad he was able to turn around the bad part of the season because some fans were getting frustrated and wanted him cut during the off season and they were convinced that he was a beneficiary of having D-Jax and Garcon. The team needs a deep threat receiver and RB to compliment him and help get him open underneath coverage.

He had 5 fumbles in the first half of the season...You want to remove him as a returner for the disregard with the football, but he's dynamic. 

The harsh reality is that almost all of his turnovers - as there are those he was tangentially responsible for, i.e. Dallas - were crippling to the team's ability to win games. The injuries were the real slayer of this season, but players can throw away a game from poor preparation or turning over the football. 

Grand scheme, not bad to be where the Redskins are (except winning vs Zona) but it could have been an entirely different fate (+2 wins) without half the Crowder fumbles. Williams/Body/Roullier/Scherff/Moses might have been healthy enough for the playoffs to round into form. Then you see Reed potentially not going to IR. The Redskins wouldn't have made it far in all likelihood, but they would have had a chance. 

TL;DR Let's hold off on giving Crowder kudos for this season.

28 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

he handed Dallas our season on a platter.... 

Exactly. I really like Crowder, but that game ...  man. It's still mind-boggling what he did. Crowder didn't just give the Dallas the game, he basically gave them a shot of adrenalin that totally revived their season. They could actually be dangerous now if they somehow make it into the playoffs with Zeke, and that's absolutely sickening considering they were practically BEGGING us to finish them off and we declined. 

As far as a punt returner goes, his confidence is shot. Cooley has talked about how he goes out of his way now to NOT field punts. 

I agree with other posters: we need an obvious number one guy to take the attention, and Crowder can flourish in that scenario. But he should not be returning anything anymore, and he really needs to work on ball security in the offseason. I'd like to think this was an anomaly year for him and he'll be back to being a consistent difference-maker soon. 

29 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

he handed Dallas our season on a platter.... 

Ouch this hurts to read..WOW!!..but so damn true..he truly did, he was the major reason for those losses..and its just so hard to take considering how much he was jumping up my man crush chart by the end of last year..so it just leaves one scratching there head wondering how, what and why the season turned out the way it did for him..mcvay leaving?..slight change in play calling?..what ever it was it's very nice seeing him be productive at the end of the season despite the games being meaningless..here's to a strong finish and a better season next year to ya Crowder!!

I'm sorry, I was straight up negative with my post... I try not to be that way but it still tastes TERRIBLE.  

I like Crowder, A LOT.... He's a guy you can root for, and he's got the ability to be one of the better slot guys in the league.  New England would kill for a guy like him.   My response was more toward the comment about him being 'awesome lately.'  He hasn't been awesome.  He's gotten some stats, he's made a few catches, but he's also had a major case of the dropsies that he can't seem to shake.  He has been a liability in PR, and he's been a question mark all season.  

I think he's better than he's been playing, I'm not saying he's a bad guy, a bad player, or that we need to replace him.. but 'awesome' is not the word I would use to describe him.  Inconsistent is more fitting imho. 

if by "awesome" you mean actually achieving his job description in comparison to earlier in the year when he basically turned the ball over every 5 times he touched it then yeah...AWESOME! i dont' know, maybe i just have a  skewed vision of what accolades one should receive for simply doing their job. 

Was it the week before the first Dallas game that Crowder said he finally felt healthy? (then he tweaked his hammy a week later?)

Anyway, definitely a down year for him -  and the fumbles have been horrendous - but his production has ramped up recently.  Think I’d still consider him one of the better slot receivers in the game and this year as an outlier.  

I am a huge Crowder guy and I remain confident he will be one of the better slot receivers in the game. But he is not and never will be a #1.

But I"m struggling to understand the title of this thread.  If by "lately" you mean one game 5 days ago well 5-51 with 1 TD is a nice game but hardly awesome.And of course very little impact on punt returns.   If we go back to the game before he had 3-34 with 0 TD and again little impact on returns. The game before that was Dallas, enough said.

The past 6 games his yardage total has been

28 yards
15 yards
-7 yards
52 yards
47 yards
14 years

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/2576716/jamison-crowder

His season total is now 717 yards but 264 of those yards or 36% of his season total came from two games. He cost us the season as already said and I have no good memories of him coming to mind. Big let down this year, not someone who should be celebrated with his own thread imo

9 hours ago, bobandweave said:

The past 6 games his yardage total has been

28 yards
15 yards
-7 yards
52 yards
47 yards
14 years

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/2576716/jamison-crowder

His season total is now 717 yards but 264 of those yards or 36% of his season total came from two games. He cost us the season as already said and I have no good memories of him coming to mind. Big let down this year, not someone who should be celebrated with his own thread imo

Your numbers are WAY wrong. The past 6 games his yardage totals have been

And his 7th game ago was

You misread the chart. His most recent games are at the top.

12 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

But I"m struggling to understand the title of this thread.  If by "lately" you mean one game 5 days ago well 5-51 with 1 TD is a nice game but hardly awesome.

Over the past 7 games he's played in, he's had 568 yards. He's had 2 TDs as well. His avg ypg during that stretch is around 81. Expanded over 16 games that would've put him in the top 6 in the league.

6 hours ago, TheItalianStallion said:

Over the past 7 games he's played in, he's had 568 yards. He's had 2 TDs as well. His avg ypg during that stretch is around 81. Expanded over 16 games that would've put him in the top 6 in the league.

By your own figures he has had one "awesome" game in the past 7.  Take away that 141 yard game and those numbers start looking rather pedestrian.   Of course that one great game was cancelled out by the disaster in Dallas.  And your figures don't show how ineffective he has been in the punt return game where he is now running away from fielding punts.  Nope, there is no way I can look at Crowder and say he has been "awesome lately".  

7 hours ago, TheItalianStallion said:

Are you just pretending the game vs Dallas didnt happen? 

Archived