Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins Giants Assessments

Burgold

Overall: Relief mixed with frustrations

Offense: Perrine came on at the end as did Kirk, but for the longest time it was bad. Consecutive hundred yard rushing performances is a good thing.They played like they had an excuse for losing already set in their mind. The line created no push or holes, the receivers weren't getting open, and Kirk was waiting too long and was caught several times being indecisive. How many times can we stupid ourselves out of scoring position either by allowing dumb sacks or penalties? There's no question in my mind our play kept the Giants in the game. The throw that got picked was an awful, awful and useless throw on 3rd and forever.  For that to be the pick six that almost cost us our only starting linemen was ridiculous. Getting a delay of game after a time out is attrocious, not even being able to get out of the huddle before the play clock is at three is even worse. I don't know if that's on Kirk, Gruden, or the entire team, but it is so dumb! What's worse is I think this is the second time it has happened. Something clicked after the pick and Moses went down. It was almost like the team woke up and realized that they were playing to lose. Calling consecutive runs helped too.

Overall C

Defense: Eli got unlucky with about five drops, but the run D was pretty good and so was the pass. We stopped them in passing situations on 3rd and 1 and 3rd and 3. We even shut down a fourth down attempt. Kerrigan got his sacks. Fuller sealed the game with a pick. Others played well. Still, for some reason I just felt like something was missing.

Overall B

Special Teams: They hit their kicks. Crowder covered what he thought was a ball deflected off a 'skin. Returns were weak again. Coverage was pretty good.

Coaching: I think on offense we played not to lose and we played with the notion that we were hurt. On offense, we seemed soft. On the other hand, Callahan has done more than a credible job of making a second unit give a QB 3 plus seconds in the pocket. Manusky as bad as the D was for two weeks stifled the dropsy fingered Giants. He made Eli feel uncomfortable and didn't let him squirm away like they have in years' past. Overall, I was pretty frustrated with the offense the entire game. The defense did its job. Time management was again an issue.

Overall C

Refs: Refs tried to keep the Giants in it too. Seems every good play was flagged and any time the Redskins seemed to gain momentum they found something to flag. I was really hating the refs today.

Playoff Pulse: Still beating. Still on critical in the ICU.

The game recap on ESPN claimed that the reason they didn't get the 4th and 1 play off after the timeout was that one of the players had taken off his shoe.  Go figure.  

It is agonizing to sit and watch game after game where these guys shoot themselves in the foot over and over again.  My daughter was watching the game with me, and when I was upset with the way they were playing, she asked me why I was upset when the redskins were leading 10-3.  Then almost immediately after the pick 6 happens, and I told her "This is why I can't be happy about any lead less than three touchdowns".  They seemingly weekly find ways to keep the other team in the game.  

I'm willing to chalk this one up to a short week with injuries to recover from and a division rival as the reason why the team struggled so much.  But I will tell you I was relieved when the last field goal was kicked to go up by 10.  I had visions of a blocked fg for a touchdown or a miss followed by Eli making one perfect pass to tie it up followed by a complete collapse from the team.  I hate not ever being able to sit back and enjoy a comfortable win.  Just one time to finish out this season, I would like to not have a game get "interesting" with a lead.

21 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Offense: Perrine came on at the end as did Kirk, but for the longest time it was bad. Consecutive hundred yard rushing performances is a good thing.They played like they had an excuse for losing already set in their mind. The line created no push or holes, the receivers weren't getting open, and Kirk was waiting too long and was caught several times being indecisive. How many times can we stupid ourselves out of scoring position either by allowing dumb sacks or penalties? There's no question in my mind our play kept the Giants in the game. The throw that got picked was an awful, awful and useless throw on 3rd and forever.  For that to be the pick six that almost cost us our only starting linemen was ridiculous. Getting a delay of game after a time out is attrocious, not even being able to get out of the huddle before the play clock is at three is even worse. I don't know if that's on Kirk, Gruden, or the entire team, but it is so dumb! What's worse is I think this is the second time it has happened. Something clicked after the pick and Moses went down. It was almost like the team woke up and realized that they were playing to lose. Calling consecutive runs helped too.

Got to defend Kirk on that one.  Watching live I was right there with you but after the game the play was broken down and you can clearly see Kirks left foot gets stuck in the turf causing him to lose his balance during the throw.  I put that down our ****ty, horrible, no good field whcih has caused us too many problems over the years, fix it Dan!

21 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Got to defend Kirk on that one.  Watching live I was right there with you but after the game the play was broken down and you can clearly see Kirks left foot gets stuck in the turf causing him to lose his balance during the throw.  I put that down our ****ty, horrible, no good field whcih has caused us too many problems over the years, fix it Dan!

Just some thoughts.

The offensive line is playing guys you'd see in the 4th quarter of preseason game 2. There is no way to expect they can stop anyone's pass rush. The best success they had was driving forward off the left side as we ran the ball. No dancing, no sweeping.. driving forward off the ball. Was nice to see.

Perine ran like the type of back we need. Second half in particular,, i loved the cutback runs, looked like Shanahan designed them. Smart, Giants D was pushing our OL around, they overpursued and Perine made them pay.

Perine hit holes FAST, no hesitation, no dancing, full speed at the point of the handoff. It makes QUITE the difference. THAT is the play we need from the RB.

Tight ends did well in creating small seams he could slam and push. A nice halftime adjustment! Run game changed at halftime, and dominated in the second half.

Cousins played alright.. considering we are depleted to the point that Niles Paul has to be a serious option in the passing game, a new center, his blindside protected by backups, and a brand new first time running back on passing downs, he did alright. His pick was a high throw, but the back should have caught it. Bad luck. I don't think the turf caused the bad throw, although the stumble did.. i just think he tripped himself with skittery footwork.
But overall, he found the guy who had the mismatch all night long, and Crowder stepped up and took it.

The turf looked bad, but i don't think it was. It's just brown grass,, but on many slow motion replays, you can see that underfoot it's just fine.. It is NOT like it was when RG3 got hurt vs Seattle.. that was painted dirt.. this didn't look the same, wasn't loose like that,

Vernon Davis didn't have a catch, right? Using just my early morning memory, he didn't.. even if he had one, he was zero factor in the passing game..  I have to think it's because of his hand injuries. He blocked well.

I like Sprinkle.. the kid's a good blocker and I think can grow into a real force as a blocking TE.

Morgan Moses is putting out one of the most courageous seasons I've seen out of a Redskins player. All respect.

Secondary played great. Defensive line played well. Backup linebackers played well. Kerrigan dominated, and really, by now he and Eli could be considered married in some states. The refs could have called holding on probably 80% of the giants pass plays. (blatant holds, not the old 'you can call it on every play" cliché) 

BUT, the giants are terrible. This is the biggest factor in our good defensive performance. Terrible offensive line.. awful receivers.  yeah yeah, rookie sensation TE,, dropping passes like the ball was greased. Even on run downs, our patchwork backup DL crushed the line of scrimmage. Don't expect that again until we play them again.

Good special teams except for happy boy charging into the end zone with the ball on the first punt. 

A lot of folks bristle when injuries are named as a factor in a loss,, but here in victory, i hope it is apparent just HOW beat up this team is. When Moses got his leg hurt,that was it.. there's no one left for OL Catalina.. then what,, Sprinkle moves to tackle? We are literally scraping the bottom of the barrel. Trying to remember 56 name. our starting ILB.. who? But this is the point. Wednesday practice is now turned into a meet and greet. Players wear "Hello, My Name is _____" stickers. I have NEVER seen a Redskins team hit with so many injuries, and even one more is devastating. We have guys playing significant snaps who weren't on a team a week prior, and we've been doing it for a month.

I think the coaching staff deserves a lot of credit. Even with this, we're competitive in every game, and are within a play or two of beating some of the best teams in the league. I think this has to be considered when grading Gruden and some of the WTF playcalls we have seen.

~Bang

16 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Nah, QBs need to compensate for that. It's just a horrible throw field conditions be damned. Proper mechanics are a part of QBing.

That said, against the Saints Kirk was magnificent except for a few rotten decisions and we lost. Yesterday, Kirk was mostly bad, but came through with some brilliant throws when we needed him. 

I'll take the ugly win. Well done, Kirk!

I went to bed after the pick 6.

When I woke up and checked the score I thought "hey they must have started playing much better"

I was wrong. 

Talk about winning a crapfest. 

If we don't play much better next week even the cowboys who are playing putrid right now are going to smoke us. 

The worst part is that now there is still hope, so we all have another week to hang on before our soul gets crushed...this team shouldn’t even want to make the playoffs because it will accomplish nothing in it. 

Don’t get me wrong glad we won cause F the Giants...but a loss would have meant we could stop hoping and start getting ready for next year, so now we all just have to hang on a little longer. 

You know what blows my mind man?  How many games we would have won this year that we endup loosing because we can't pick a yard either on 3rd down and 1 or fourth down and 1.  For sure the NO game would have been in the bag, and KC also.  Yesterday this mind-blowing fact almost kept us from winning the game.  Seriously we could be at least 7-4 right now if this offense was able to pick up a very short 1 yard like almost every other team in this league does.

1 minute ago, TheGreek1973 said:

You know what blows my mind man?  How many games we would have won this year that we endup loosing because we can't pick a yard either on 3rd down and 1 or fourth down and 1.  For sure the NO game would have been in the bag, and KC also.  Yesterday this mind-blowing fact almost kept us from winning the game.  Seriously we could be at least 7-4 right now if this offense was able to pick up a very short 1 yard like almost every other team in this league does.

Hell, we might be 7-4 if we had a QB sneak in our playbook.

I wonder if we don't because when Gruden played QB he got pounded on sneaks and just hates the play.

49 minutes ago, armstrong001 said:

The game recap on ESPN claimed that the reason they didn't get the 4th and 1 play off after the timeout was that one of the players had taken off his shoe.  Go figure.  

This is a bull**** excuse.  That down and distance should have been an insta call.  Quick count QB sneak.  No time out BS missing shoe BS.  

49 minutes ago, armstrong001 said:

This is a bull**** excuse.  That down and distance should have been an insta call.  Quick count QB sneak.  No time out BS missing shoe BS.  

after last night I also feel that Long should go back to guard when he comes back.  The back up center didn't do a bad job, especially with that monster N-tackle of the Giants and Roulier I feel will be a starter forever in the league so we are covered.  Kouandjian is not a football player, hell I  don't know what he is, he was getting abused last night.  

1. Run Game looked better... Perine looks like he wants the job, but he's got to get the ball security down.  The dropped pass was high, but you're an NFL RB bud... need to catch that.  We've also had 2 consecutive weeks that he's dodged the bullet by being down when the ball comes out.  Need to maintain the security of the ball THROUGH the play.  

2. Kirk.  Flashes of brilliance, moments of question... Kirk had quite a bit of pressure and I was happy to see him swallow the ball when the pressure was on top of him... Prevent the turnover, live to fight another down.  I also REALLY REALLY liked the pocket movement I saw on the Crowder TD.  Step up and around the pressure, break the pocket, eyes down field... Strike to the WR who continued to work himself open.  The INT wasn't his his 'fault' but I dont think that throw needs to be made, but it was a bad break so what can ya do.

3.  Defense.  GIVE ME THIS EVERY WEEK.  I know we don't play bad O-lines every week but those guys were SWARMING.  Like Manusky called them out and woke them up.  

Gruden botched the 4th & 1 from the start. In a game Giants were trying to tank they had averaged about 7 yards a carry on past 6 runs in a row. The Giants D was on roller skates. Ball was inside the 40 and was a no brainer to go for it in the flow of the game. Than he manages to screw it up even more.

If they didn't win I would expect Snyder would be on the verge of firing him today

Short  yardage problems are INEXCUSABLE.

INEXCUSABLE.

No injury excuse,, none..  as far as i am concerned if you can't line up and get a friggin YARD, hang your head and GO HOME.

It aggravates me to no end how we approach short yardage, and it's NOT NEW. Our goal line offense under Gruden has been atrocious.

We call plays that take time to develop.. we TAKE OUR TIME lining up to run it.. we give the defense the entire play clock to look at us and dig in.

Run the friggin' sneak. Push and be men about it. 

Their inability to manage the clock on these plays is inexcusable as well,, as in there is NO excuse to call a timeout and then get a delay on it's heels. NONE. 
**** the huddle... go out, line up and SHOVE.

~Bang

50 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Nah, QBs need to compensate for that. It's just a horrible throw field conditions be damned. Proper mechanics are a part of QBing.

That said, against the Saints Kirk was magnificent except for a few rotten decisions and we lost. Yesterday, Kirk was mostly bad, but came through with some brilliant throws when we needed him. 

I'll take the ugly win. Well done, Kirk!

a guy can't know every inch of the field and the field actually prevented proper mechanics

Still some simple execution issues, most notably the critical 4th and 1 blunder when an unnamed player that was supposed to be in the game was instead on the sideline with his shoe off, causing a five yard penalty and a subsequent punt. And Doctson not knowing where the first down marker was when he stepped out of bounds for a 14 yd. gain on a big 3rd and 15, forcing us to punt, is another example of a blunder of simply not focusing and potentially costing your team. I've been saying executing some routine things has been our biggest problem in our six losses and there were again some simple mistakes that could have cost us the game last night. 

We gutted it out though and I give credit to the team as a whole. I didn't expect us to look good last night after blowing the game Sunday and playing back in four days and for the most part, we didn't. Add to that the injuries we have and the fact that we couldn't even get a day of practice in leading up to the game and I'm happy with the win, no matter how ugly it might have been. Coaches, players, and us fans all needed a win to not only keep the season alive, but just to feel better after the last two losses. It was good to see the team enjoying the win after the game with the turkey legs and all that and hopefully getting that win under the pretty dire circumstances we faced going in will help catapult us to a strong finish over the next five games.

I feel the need to apologize to the nation for forcing them to watch something like this.  The only consolation is the Giants, with far less injuries, played even worse than we did.  F You Mara and your cap penalty.

Where to start?  We went from the low point of the last 3 seasons that embarrassment over the punt/go for it/penalty.  It ended up OK less the time out, I felt they needed to punt the ball and pin a Giant offense that was abysmal all night deep rather than blowing yet another 4th and 1 and giving the Giants life by setting them up at the 40. But jeez was that embarrassing.  And so was that crap of a field they played on.  20 years later and the Redskins still do not know how to grow grass in Landover in November.  They can grow it in Foxboro but not in Maryland for some reason.

But damned if Kirk and more surprisingly the run game came to life.  Perine ran well but it was still the blocking, not sure how they pulled that off.  We should not be complaining about the refs when they gave us the call of the game. That was not defensive holding but they gave us a first down when we needed it desperately, the Redskins should have been punting and the Giants with all the momentum would have had the ball in a tie game.  

The game plan early had me screaming at the TV for Jay to stop playing so chicken ( I believe I used a different word here).  I understood the injuries but I got so sick of those short patterns on every pass play.  Sure they took a few sacks but the also showed they could move the ball if they just threw a few down field.  That little dump off crap should be used as a change of pace, not your entire passing game.  The Giants saw it coming and killed those plays.  Welcome back, J. Crowder.  This is what we expected all season, he must have been hurt.  

I have no idea who that guy was who was staring at ILB for my team in a division game.  Not sure I have ever used those words before.  Who exactly thinks it's OK to grab a punt and run into your own end zone?  My wife and I looked at each other and said "I think that's a touch back but I'm not sure, I've never seen anyone do that before".

But we did win and our season is still alive, sort of.  Suddenly the Chargers don't look like such an easy game.  

1 hour ago, armstrong001 said:

It is agonizing to sit and watch game after game where these guys shoot themselves in the foot over and over again.  My daughter was watching the game with me, and when I was upset with the way they were playing, she asked me why I was upset when the redskins were leading 10-3.  Then almost immediately after the pick 6 happens, and I told her "This is why I can't be happy about any lead less than three touchdowns".  They seemingly weekly find ways to keep the other team in the game.  

I'm willing to chalk this one up to a short week with injuries to recover from and a division rival as the reason why the team struggled so much.  But I will tell you I was relieved when the last field goal was kicked to go up by 10.  I had visions of a blocked fg for a touchdown or a miss followed by Eli making one perfect pass to tie it up followed by a complete collapse from the team.  I hate not ever being able to sit back and enjoy a comfortable win.  Just one time to finish out this season, I would like to not have a game get "interesting" with a lead.

I feel ya, even before the fg my brother was saying we won but I had to put the kabash on that idea, I said we haven't made it yet and even if we do we left 2+ minutes on the clock, remember this is the Redskins. It wasnt until the final kneel down did I breath a sigh of relief.

11 minutes ago, Bang said:

Shoot.. i ain't apologizing..   this team is destroyed, and stays competitive. 

Can't wait to see what they can do if they manage to stay even moderately healthy for a change.

~Bang

This is what has my mouth watering.  Injury riddled and we were capable of manhandling one of the best offenses in football (at the respective time of the matchup) for 3+ quarters, and been good enough to win against 2 other top teams... Despite the depth chart positions, we've been the better team for long enough to be in a position to win.  

17 minutes ago, skinsfan35yrs. said:

I feel ya, even before the fg my brother was saying we won but I had to put the kabash on that idea, I said we haven't made it yet and even if we do we left 2+ minutes on the clock, remember this is the Redskins. It wasnt until the final kneel down did I breath a sigh of relief.

My uncle texted me when we punted to New Orleans and said "Less than 6 minutes to go... I feel pretty good about this" to which I responded, "ask me again in 6 minutes."     :hitfan:

Archived