Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Politico:George H.W. Bush apologizes for alleged groping incident

88Comrade2000

He's 93 and fading fast.  He was a war hero, an honorable public servant for decades, and a good man by the standards of the world he grew up in.  

I don't want to downplay sexual harassment, but people in that situation get a lot of leeway from me.   

And this is how tolerance and giving abusers a pass is perpetuated. Who do you give this pass to? A specific person, a group of people, where does it start and stop?

Zero tolerance is the only way to get a handle on it.

The guy who's on Morning Joe got called out, as he should be. He's been suspended from the network. They acted pretty quickly too, after finding out, as far as we know.  Unlike Faux News.

5 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

And this is how tolerance and giving abusers a pass is perpetuated. Who do you give this pass to? A specific person, a group of people, where does it start and stop?

Zero tolerance is the only way to get a handle on it.

The guy who's on Morning Joe got called out, as he should be. He's been suspended from the network. They acted pretty quickly too, after finding out, as far as we know.  Unlike Faux News.

Please let me clarify. 

I give a pass to 93 year old people who are losing their faculties, rotting away in a wheelchair, and who do not (as far as I know) have a history of sexual harassment.   When my grandfather was 93, he was no longer the man he was when he had all his faculties.  In many ways, he reverted to being a child in his thinking, judgment and temperament.  

And I'm not saying it was ok.  I'm saying that extremely elderly people, and mentally challenged people, don't warrant the same level of approbation for doing inappropriate things, even if what they do is wrong.  

That's somewhat true, in that it would be hard to prosecute someone that old. Just publicizing it it shameful enough.

There are some individual situations, but mostly this needs to end.

On FB, I have seen pretty much every woman post Me To, as they have been subjected to sexual harassment, catcalling, sexual assault at some time in their lives, whether at work (huge numbers), or out socializing, or just walking down the street.

It's endemic. 

FB_IMG_1508514866062.jpg

I know tons of women who have been harassed (and molested and raped).  I know several people who are harassers.

I'm giving a pass to this particular elderly person.  I don't think he is the same person he once was.

Someday when I'm feeble and I'm lying in a nursing home bed with my mind almost completely gone, living almost entirely inside my own memories, I hope someone gives me a pass if I say or do something inappropriate.  

Just now, Predicto said:

Someday when I'm feeble and I'm lying in a nursing home bed with my mind almost completely gone, living almost entirely inside my own memories, I hope someone gives me a pass if I say or do something inappropriate.  

Will you even care at that point?

People with deep pockets can persuade people to level all sorts of charges to lessen the spotlight on themselves. And people with DEEEP pockets are in trouble for all of this. Weinstein perpetuated his crimes by using his power to silence, discredit, and intimidate his victims and witnesses into silence. Setting up smokescreens would be a tactic i would believe he would do.
The more 'ridiculous' claims are made the less the real ones are tolerated.  People get sick of it and begin to question all of it. The more claims that get knocked down, the deeper into hiding it forces real victims afraid of not being believed.

Bush is an easy target.. famous, easily politicized and basically helpless to defend himself.

I don't doubt Bush's explanation at all.

~Bang

Allowing this is BS.  So because you are old and wheelcheer bound you can walk around and grope woman saying, "My favorite book is David Cop-A-Feel!"... 

What a creep. 

Who the heck says, "I patted a woman's rear in a good-natured manner." 

Yes, good natured, un-consensual manner....  maybe 10 or 15 years ago when half the workplace didn't get indoctrinated with sexual harassment training this was --- not even "okay" but "excusable -- but this is textbook sexual harassment. 

3 woman have come forward and said they were not comfortable with the way it was done, with the third saying his handlers asked them to be discrete about it.

4 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Allowing this is BS.  So because you are old and wheelcheer bound you can walk around and grope woman saying, "My favorite book is David Cop-A-Feel!"...

If the women feel that way they should file sexual assault charges.

Sexual harassment law does not apply in this since it is not a workplace issue.....btw, he hasn't been in the workplace for decades.

Man up ladies.

10 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

His actions may have been deemed appropriate during his time, but even slapping a woman's butt is consider sexual harassment. I don't think it was his intent but the women he slapped felt otherwise.

Based on the way things are presented in the article, I don't see how you can say it wasn't his intent.

My wife works at a nursing home and I'm sympathetic to Predicto's point, but this seems like such a completely avoidable situation.  President Bush doesn't need to put his hands on anybody's waist for the photo ops. He can just keep his arms in his lap or on the wheelchair. The excuse that he tries to put his hand at their waist but at his age it falls down, so he makes light of it, pats their rear, and tells a dirty joke is weak sauce.  Even if Bush can't do better, the people around him can.

(Granted, the security guard supposedly did warn at least one woman about the whole issue.)

On the other hand, I'm not sure you can convince a 93-year-old to do (or not do) much of anything.  I really don't know exactly how to weigh each piece of this, but I can't really say I'm okay with it.  It seems avoidable.

Lot of harassment in the news lately honestly scum like this should be outed regardless of statute of limitations. I would never even think of groping fellow employees! 

56 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Tough for me to get too riled up about this when you here the rumors coming out of Nickolodeon right now.

What is going on there 

Not Victoria Justice??? ?

Lot of harassment in the news lately honestly scum like this should be outed regardless of statute of limitations. I would never even think of groping fellow employees! 

The new flavor of the media day.  Well, at least we have moved on from 200 irrelevant white supremicast dorks invading and taking over the country.  We were on gun control for a short while, table that.  Global warming has shown a remarkable resiliancy, popping up for 3 day segments at least twice a year.  Houstons been forgotten, puerto rico is hanging on for dear life.  

Lets start a pool for the next big thing that will last 4 days.  I say... cat abuse.  

I wish the next big thing was money in politics, and how that all ties back to the media.  That will never happen though

As for sexual abuse and harassment, glad its getting some brief attention.  What I hope this shines a light on is not necessarily the abuse itself, which is a symptom... but rather, how many raging sociopaths we have in positions of power across the country.  Sociopaths always have the advantage... most of us dont recognize it, and most of us dont even really know what a sociopath is.  Odds are, that person sitting atop your company or organization is one.

9 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Wait is that really what his 'joke' was? 

First, ima do this to my GF daily (dont worry, she literally asks for it) 

But that is a creep ass move. That should tell you, though, how sick these rich dudes are. He basically told her ima grab that ass and there is nothing you can do about it. Here is a bad joke for your troubles. 

He should totally be brought down for this. You cant tell me you can remember that joke and cant remember thats its not ok to grab a chicks ass. Either he doesnt care or he did it so much in the past that it seems right. 

10 minutes ago, Llevron said:

He should totally be brought down for this. You cant tell me you can remember that joke and cant remember thats its not ok to grab a chicks ass. Either he doesnt care or he did it so much in the past that it seems right. 

I'd put money on a diminished capacity defense winning the day.

What say you Predicto?

I give free legal advice to make his eye twitch. :ols:

Just now, twa said:

I'd put money on a diminished capacity defense winning the day.

What say you Predicto?

I give free legal advice to make his eye twitch. :ols:

Real live even if thats the best defense they can come up with he wont get any time for it. We all know that. Flash in the pan type of deal here. 

Archived