Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

real clear politics-'Black Lives Matter' Leader Wins Over Trump Supporters

grego

this story is something quite positive politically (for a change)- and unexpected. take 5 minutes to watch the video. 

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/09/20/black_lives_matter_leader_wins_over_trump_supporters_if_we_really_want_america_great_we_do_it_together.html

In this video by Now This Politics, Hank Newsome, the president of Black Lives Matter New York, wins over a crowd of skeptical Trump supporters at the 'Mother Of All Rallies,' held in Washington D.C. on Saturday. 

After initially showing up to protest against Trump, the BLM leader was invited on stage to speak by Tommy Gunn, the organizer of the rally: "So you guys know that the ‘Mother of All Rallies’ was to end the political violence," he said. "It’s about freedom of speech. It’s about celebration. So what we’re going to do is something you’re not used to, and we’re going to give you two minutes of our platform to put your message out. Whether they disagree or agree with your message is irrelevant. It’s the fact that you have the right to have the message."

He added: "It’s your right to say what you believe. And it's their right to let you know what they think about what you're saying."

Hank Newsome, the president of BLM New York, then addressed the crowd:

HANK NEWSOME: I am an American. And the beauty of America is that when you see something broke in your country, you can mobilize to fix it.

Good video.

I've been learning about some of the civil rights movement leading up to 1960s... I think it is pretty sad, but good for our country to deal with these types of issues head on.  The person yelling "He was a criminal!" is exactly the type of BS that makes my skin crawl... in fact that is exactly why there is the BLM movement -- to convince people that Black lives matter. 

Can't get over that **** though... criminals deserve to get strangled by cops...

4 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Can't get over that **** though... criminals deserve to get strangled by cops...

They are taught all of that instead of compassion. That is the problem. BLM may have its own issues (and it does) but none of that changes the fact that cops are executing people in the streets and thats not ok. 

I saw that video yesterday and planned on making a thread about it but forgot. Thanks for posting this. 

I was so happy to see the leadership for some of those groups coming to the leader of BLM and actually having a conversation, not an argument, an actual conversation. Even posing for pictures together with him and their family. Now my hope, my prayer, is months from now that encounter will stay with them and the next time a POS bad cop violates a minorities' rights they'll actually look at the victim as a person, and not immediately go to their talking points. 

8 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

This makes me happy. This is what we need more of. This is what America is meant to be...

Agreed

So many of the people that supposedly speak for us really suck at it, no matter what sector or section or group you identify with. I know that as human beings it is our birthright to be lazy and uninvolved, but we all need to get a lil more active, speak up, speak out, speak with more than at, and along the way, do some listening to what others say.

It seems that we see a lot of this actually, local clergy or activist rides along with police or goes through their shoot/don't shoot training and has an epiphany, "HEYYYY, maybe there's something to what they say afterall!" It's frustrating that we seem surprised every time. I'd like see some of the police hangout in the neighborhood sometime and get a sense of what it seen from that perspective.

When will people realize and admit that the vast majority of division in our society is caused by someone that benefits from it.

4 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

I saw that video yesterday and planned on making a thread about it but forgot. Thanks for posting this. 

I was so happy to see the leadership for some of those groups coming to the leader of BLM and actually having a conversation, not an argument, an actual conversation. Even posing for pictures together with him and their family. Now my hope, my prayer, is months from now that encounter will stay with them and the next time a POS bad cop violates a minorities' rights they'll actually look at the victim as a person, and not immediately go to their talking points. 

Thats gonna be a big step for some of them. I would be happy just for peaceful discourse. The ability to tell a group of people that dont agree with you what you think is the problem and have them actually listen to you and not hate you because of it. Thats how all this America **** starts. For the last few years we havent been able to get even that far. The change is needed. 

It's a feel-good video, but I'll be honest, I'm skeptical of how much it matters.

They basically cheered every time he said keywords like "America" and "God".  When he got real about stuff, I don't get the impression they were really on the same page.

Edit: I do agree the fact that he was invited to speak and was allowed to do so peacefully is important.  That part does matter.

16 minutes ago, zoony said:

Free exchange of ideas and the willingness to listen is always a great thing

Right. I doesn't necessarily mean its going to lead to anything. But it is encouraging. Literally, both sides of every argument ever could use more of this ****. 

Both sides. Both sides. 

Archived