Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Football Outsiders: 1991 Redskins best team in the past 30 years.

ExoDus84

Football outsiders article on the very best teams of the best 30 years. Not a surprise to us, but your 1991 Washington Redskins were ranked #1 overall.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/page/Outsiders30OverallTeams/football-outsiders-30-best-nfl-teams-30-years-2017

If you don't have ESPN insider, John Keim did a writeup as well.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/31726/redskins-1991-team-deserving-of-top-billing-over-last-three-decades

They lacked a catchy moniker -- the Hogs were still around, but going on 10 years -- or a player who grabbed everyone's attention for his greatness. There was no Joe Montana or Tom Brady; so the 1991 Washington Redskins sometimes get shorted when it comes to recognition.

They shouldn't be overlooked and Football Outsiders shows why. In fact, they even called it an easy decision in naming them the best teamInsider over the past three decades. After all, only this Redskins team produced an offense, defense and special teams that were ranked among the 30 best over the past 30 years. Two years ago, USA Today called the '91 Redskins the best Super Bowl team ever.

Best team of the Super Bowl era, bar none. HTTR.

Not only was that team incredible, the East was insanely good. Not just going by their records, but the style of football being played was easily the best I can remember. We went to 4 straight SBs and the eagles had the best defense in history IMO. 

10 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Not only was that team incredible, the East was insanely good. Not just going by their records, but the style of football being played was easily the best I can remember. We went to 4 straight SBs and the eagles had the best defense in history IMO. 

Actually, starting with the 1980 season through the 1996 season, the NFC was represent in the SB by either an NFC East team or the 49ers, with one exception, the Bears for the '85 season.  That is a hell of a run. 

10 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

And think about how much better the East would've been in 1991 if Randall Cunningham hadn't gotten hurt and if Bill Parcells (who would've in all likelihood started Phil Simms that season) hadn't retired.

4 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

Actually, starting with the 1980 season through the 1996 season, the NFC was represent in the SB by either an NFC East team or the 49ers, with one exception, the Bears for the '85 season.  That is a hell of a run. 

I know. It was absolutely amazing. Think about how great that 49ers team had to be, just to be competitive against the East, too. 

1 minute ago, hail2skins said:

And think about how much better the East would've been in 1991 if Randall Cunningham hadn't gotten hurt and if Bill Parcells (who would've in all likelihood started Phil Simms that season) hadn't retired.

If the 91 eagles could have fielded any kind of offense, they'd be talked about like the 85 bears and might have gone to the SB in 91. That defense was incredible. 

Now I'm sad. I was born in 73. Became a fan in 79/80. It was great just knowing you were going to be great every year and if you didnt win it all, it was because another great team faught just a little bit harder and you could hang your hat on a tough loss.

Now we generally suck and if we do well, you know it was a fluke and we're going to suck again the next year.

love this team is starting to get the respect it deserves.  But also this team always did seem a bit better than the sum of it's parts.

I me we had great starters on O and some great ones on D.  But our great depth was mainly only at certain positions.  OL, RB, TE, LB.  At WR Sanders was out number 3 but we'd shifted from the two TE regular offense to 3 WRs most of the time.  Our backups at WR were Joe Johnson, Wlater Stanley and Stephen Hobbs.  At DL we were Charles Mann and a bunch of guys who never started before, Eric Williams wouldn't regularly again.  At DB it was Darell Green and the Plan B free agents.  Our backups were AJ and Sidney Johnson and Alvoid Mays. Now I liked AJ, and thought he should start over Mayhew, though I don't remember why(probably something I read at the time) but these guys were the DBs who had to play all three run & shoot teams in the NFL five times that year

Not only was it a great team, but it demolished the AFC champion which fielded several future HOF'ers (QB, RB, WR, DE, HC) and had a bunch of other stars on the roster, and which had its own dominant run during that era.  Unlike the '87 Broncos, the '91 Bills had no holes other than the ones we kicked in them.  Yeah, that '91 Skins team could win any way a football team could win.  The '83 team, as much fun as it was for a 15/16 y.o. to watch, surrendered points on a regular basis.

21 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

Sigh, I could read this all day every day.  Can't wait until we're debating between whatever current powerhouse we eventually have and the 1991 team.

Can't happen in today's salary cap era. The closest anyone has come is the Pats, and as a team they don't compare to the '91 Redskins (better QB though).

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I know. It was absolutely amazing. Think about how great that 49ers team had to be, just to be competitive against the East, too. 

If the 91 eagles could have fielded any kind of offense, they'd be talked about like the 85 bears and might have gone to the SB in 91. That defense was incredible. 

That is until they played us lol.  

2 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Not only was it a great team, but it demolished the AFC champion which fielded several future HOF'ers (QB, RB, WR, DE, HC) and had a bunch of other stars on the roster, and which had its own dominant run during that era.  Unlike the '87 Broncos, the '91 Bills had no holes other than the ones we kicked in them.  Yeah, that '91 Skins team could win any way a football team could win.  The '83 team, as much fun as it was for a 15/16 y.o. to watch, surrendered points on a regular basis.

Yeah. I will agree that the defense was better on the 91 team. But the 83 defense forced 47 turnovers and scored 4 return TD's. And Riggins and that offensive line werer just monsters during that 83 season. The Skins opponent knew EXACTLY what play they were going to run on first down and simply could not stop it. 

I've always felt the '91 'Skins team was the most dominant team I have watched in my lifetime, and that includes the '85 Bears because that Bears team domination was mostly via defense where the 'Skins dominated both sides of the ball.

I think what hurt their all-time rankings are the common stuff, 

--Lack of HOF QB

--Tail end of Joe Gibbs 1.0 era

--Sandwiched in between the 49ers Dynasty and the Cowboys Dynasty

--Cowboys domination over the next handful of seasons quickly made a lot of people forget how dominant the '91 'Skins team was.

4 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Yeah, that '91 Skins team could win any way a football team could win.  The '83 team, as much fun as it was for a 15/16 y.o. to watch, surrendered points on a regular basis.

The '83 team beat the Raiders in the regular season by sheer good fortune, if I remember correctly.  I very much did not want the Raiders as our opponent in the Super Bowl.  They worried me greatly, and for good reason as it turned out. 

4 hours ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

The '83 team beat the Raiders in the regular season by sheer good fortune, if I remember correctly.  I very much did not want the Raiders as our opponent in the Super Bowl.  They worried me greatly, and for good reason as it turned out. 

That friggin' regular season game!  Entering the 4th and down by 15 or so, my dad decided to take me out for driver ed. lessons.  We go to the parking lot off Backlick road, he put the radio on, and we listened to the comeback.  I never touched the wheel.  :chair:

On 6/22/2017 at 5:47 PM, Riggo'sRangers said:

It was magic and I saw every game; every second of every single game.  It was the best of times....hail

Same here, except for the playoff game against the Falcons.  

The girl who sold us our tickets that season promised us that if we bought the first divisional game, that she would sell us the NFC Championship game.

We bought the Falcons for $250.00, sold 'em for $500.00     We paid $250.00 for the  NFC Championship game,  so we pocketed $250.00 and watched the Skins crush Detroit.   

Great times!

15 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

And to think, we shut the Eagles out in 91' on a MNF game. Held them to under 100 yds of offense. That was a statement game. Hec, in the 2 games we played them, albeit the last game was mainly starters for a lot of it, still put up something like 52 points against them.  Not too shabby against that defense.

All these anecdotes are awesome guys. I wish I could contribute. Alas, I was 7 at the time. My only fleeting memories of that run is listening to one of my uncle's roar with delight time after time when Rypien was letting it fly on play action bombs. 

Archived