Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guilty or not? (Suicide case)

RichmondRedskin88

So my legal/criminal justice background has me watching this case closely. Is she guilty of man slaughter in your opinion? Full texts are in the third link. Guilty or not I find it sick to push someone to kill themselves IMO.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4582386/amp/Woman-urged-teen-kill-said-s-fault.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/tasneemnashrulla/michelle-carter-trial-opening-arguments

http://deadstate.org/here-are-the-disturbing-texts-from-michelle-carter-pressuring-her-boyfriend-to-commit-suicide/

Is she a despicable psychopath ****?

Um, duh....

Is she guilty of manslaughter...I'm not so sure.  Ultimately the dude killed himself. Beyotch needs to go to jail, but I'm thinking more along the lines of reckless endangerment. Not that I'd be bothered if she ends up nailed for more - she deserves to rot in a dungeon, but I think it's a potentially slippery slope if we start jailing people when someone close commits suicide.

29 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Is she a despicable psychopath ****?

Um, duh....

Is she guilty of manslaughter...I'm not so sure.  Ultimately the dude killed himself. Beyotch needs to go to jail, but I'm thinking more along the lines of reckless endangerment. Not that I'd be bothered if she ends up nailed for more - she deserves to rot in a dungeon, but I think it's a potentially slippery slope if we start jailing people when someone close commits suicide.

This is where I am. When you talk about murder there's intent. When manslaughter it's simply you contributed to the death. That's the simple terms. But if we break it down not to actions but words what line do we draw? At what level does some teen telling another teen you are worthless and you should go kill your self cross the line into legal actions if they do? Or do we create levels? Such as the texts about telling how to do it and insisting they do when they have second thoughts. Is that enough to say you are accountable vs if someone tells you mad after say a game you are trash or damn you suck and that sends you off the ledge? It's a slippery slope because you don't know how close to the ledge they are and what may push them. This particular case it's calculated and honestly shocking how far a person went to make sure someone ends their life.

There was a case a few years back at Rutgers University where some guy's roommate surreptitiously webcast him kissing another dude. When the guy was thus forced out of the closet, he killed himself. LGBT groups and the guy's family were banging their fists for murder or manslaughter charges. Unlike this ****, I don't think the roommate was necessarily evil as much as immature, but there was such a public outcry that a trial became inevitable, and the guy's life was ruined. 

When I was around 19, there was a friend of mine who threatened to kill herself. Looking back, I realize she was just desperate for attention and made me spend miserable hours trying to talk her out of it. She tried pulling the same stuff on a mutual friend and his response was "go ahead, and you'll spend the rest of eternity in hell." She never brought it up with him again. Now imagine if she had done it...would he be guilty of manslaughter?  What if the same verbal exchange were done by texting? Granted, there are light years between that scenario and the blatantly malicious intent psycho b.f.h. put on display here, but I still worry about a slippery slope.

I have no idea how the law is written and I'm not a lawyer so I can't speak to legal guilt.  Guilty, in common use of the word, certainly fits though. I think there is a world of difference between unintended consequences of being mean to someone and repeatedly pressuring someone specifically into killing themselves.  This person hanmered at a depressed person she knew was vulnerable repeatedly and over an extended period of time, demanding that he kill himself.  There is also evidence that she wanted to hide her involvement which signals that she knew her actions were wrong.  

She's guilty of manslaughter.. and frankly, i am not sure of the separation of degree, but she showed completely callous disregard for his life, she encouraged him to follow through after he tried to stop, and she hid her actions.

Hit her with the hardest thing they can charge her with.

~Bang

14 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Whatever.  

Where's the Tailgate I know and love?  Girl looks like a fun time if you get my drift.  

Maybe he could have manipulated the bit better..."I would off myself, but I don't want to die while that a-hole Tony has gotten the most blowjobs of anyone in my class.  I just need another 25 to catch up..."

Most people prefer trial by jury, since a smart lawyer can confuse or arouse sympathies from at least one or two knuckleheads out of the 12. My guess is that she waived that because her case is simple on an emotional level (guilty!), but complex legally (free speech versus complicity), which might make a judge wary of setting a precedent.

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

What kind of parents raise a person to act like this?

'

Is it the nurturing or her nature?

Some folk are wired different imo

4 hours ago, Bang said:

She's guilty of manslaughter.. and frankly, i am not sure of the separation of degree, but she showed completely callous disregard for his life, she encouraged him to follow through after he tried to stop, and she hid her actions.

Hit her with the hardest thing they can charge her with.

~Bang

Exactly where I'm at. The little psychopathic **** needs to do some serious time for the **** she did. She deserves to rot based on her callous disregard for the man's life.

I think guilty.  Just reading over all those text messages with her constantly encouraging that poor kid to go through with it, regardless of how many times it appeared that he was avoiding it.  Who wants their significant other to commit suicide?  

The fact that she apparently texted other friends two days before saying he had already done it and was craving the attention, just sickening.  If I'm not mistaken though, didn't one of the articles say that she was on anti-depressant drugs during the texting up through his suicide?  I wonder if they will use that to try and get an insanity ruling from the judge where she is committed and not tossed in prison.

Archived