Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tony Romo Hanging up the Cleats

ExoDus84

Looks like Romo is calling it a career. Exchanging the cleats for a suit and microphone. If true, tip of the hat to him. He was pretty much always a top 10 QB, and the horror stories of him running around the pocket, buying time, and nailing a dart when playing the Skins still haunts my dreams. Classy QB who brought it all on game day, and was, from all accounts, a very nice person off the field. He may never have had playoff success, but was still a pretty damn good QB.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19073822/dallas-cowboys-qb-tony-romo-leaving-football-broadcast-career

Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo is leaving football and going into broadcasting with CBS, league sources told ESPN.

Romo has reached a verbal agreement with CBS to be its No. 1 color commentator -- replacing former NFL quarterback Phil Simms -- alongside play-by-play veteran Jim Nantz, sources confirmed to ESPN. He also had drawn interest from Fox and NBC. The Sports Business Journal first reported Romo's agreement with CBS.

The Cowboys are planning to release him Tuesday.

12 minutes ago, Redd said:

I would've sat on the bench and collected my checks.  Tony Romo is a far better person than me.

I seriously doubt Romo needs the money at this point. Besides, when the cowboys cut him, he'll be collecting monster checks for a couple years.

I'd say there's still a chance he could play for Houston/Denver next season. He hasn't officially signed a contract with CBS yet. His health has to be weighing on him though. I'm sure his family doesn't want him to end up in a wheelchair.

I get that he is the QB of the Cowboys, and he had a way of extending plays but I don't get the hate.  The guy seemed like one of the most genuine players in the league today.  When I heard the story of how he helped a lady change her tire, my opinion of his was lifted. 

Literally the opposite of Haynesworth who punched a guy. 

1 hour ago, Cliffmark1 said:

I get that he is the QB of the Cowboys, and he had a way of extending plays but I don't get the hate.  The guy seemed like one of the most genuine players in the league today.  When I heard the story of how he helped a lady change her tire, my opinion of his was lifted. 

Literally the opposite of Haynesworth who punched a guy. 

Dude may be a nice guy, but it doesn't change the fact that he was a choker in the biggest games yet some are trying to make out like he is a HOFer.  I think a lot of the "hate" is more of annoyance how the media and some fans are making his retirement out to be bigger than Peyton Manning's.

On 4/4/2017 at 10:50 AM, TheGreatBuzz said:

What is the benefit of the Cowboys releasing him instead of putting him on the retired list?  Seems like the latter would be smarter for them.

I wonder if they did that so that if he changed his mind and came back he'd be free to choose his team.

Archived