Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC:Three teenage burglars shot dead in US

Riggo-toni

Three teenagers who broke into a home in Oklahoma were killed by the homeowner's son firing an assault-style AR-15, say police.

"They were dressed in black, all had masks on, and all had gloves on," Deputy Nick Mahoney told reporters.

The intruders - who police say were armed with brass knuckles and a knife - were shot by a 23-year-old man in an act of "self-defence", officers said.

The son may not face charges due to so-called stand your ground laws.

"This may be a case of 'stand-your-ground,' however, it's still too early to say for sure, and we're still looking into all aspects of this," Mr Mahoney told local media.

https://news.google.com/news/amp?caurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Famp%2F39413376#pt0-115195

I don't get how they even need stand your ground to justify this - they broke into his home wearing masks for hell's sake. I only wish this guy could have been protecting Sean Taylor's house.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Agreed.  Isn't there an every man's home is his castle doctrine?  If you don't want to get killed, then don't break into someone's house to steal their stuff.

Depends on the state. With castle law states, if someone breaks into your home they are basically fair game. In states without castle law, one has an obligation to retreat and use force as an absolute last resort (ie holed up in a bathroom, yelling that you have a gun, then if the assailant tries to break down the door you are justified in shooting at them). 

3 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Depends on the state. With castle law states, if someone breaks into your home they are basically fair game. In states without castle law, one has an obligation to retreat and use force as an absolute last resort (ie holed up in a bathroom, yelling that you have a gun, then if the assailant tries to break down the door you are justified in shooting at them). 

So shoot them as they approach the house, drag them inside to the door of the bathroom.  Fire a few rounds through the bathroom door.  Then drag the carcass back out to the front yard and call the cops.  Voila!

I love this law...

The fatal shootings could be viewed by prosecutors as falling under Oklahoma’s “Make My Day” law, which says a resident has the right to use deadly force if an intruder has entered or is in the process of entering the resident’s home.

http://m.tulsaworld.com/communities/wagoner/news/update-woman-arrested-after-broken-arrow-area-man-fatally-shoots/article_55328216-4dda-5991-838c-1db99e20014e.html?mode=jqm

Thank you Clint Eastwood.

And the getaway driver is facing 3 counts of felony murder.  That might be a bit harsh.

First reaction was to how young the buglers were.  Too young to all just go out like that, done, life over.  I doubt this will be a deterrent, and no doubt in my mind it will happen again.  Were there even warning shots?  I'm not trying to be too sympathetic, but damn.

9 minutes ago, twa said:

Why?

He obviously brought them to be killed.

I can't stand laws that irrationally assign blame like that.  Either you killed people or you didn't, if you think there isn't a difference ask yourself if you'd rather be locked in a room with a killer or his getaway driver.  Deciding that anyone involved is guilty for the actions of someone else isn't justice.  It's just damned convenient for prosecutors. 

1 minute ago, LD0506 said:

Having a hard time ginning up any compassion here, they broke in, armed and disguised, what do ya think, they were going to wake the residents and see if they wanted to play Canasta? They chose, they lost, move on

The three teens who went in got what they deserved. The teen who was a getaway driver shouldn't be charged with murder is all I'm saying. 

9 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Whenever given the chance to legally execute a teenager carrying brass knuckles, you should take it.  That's the American way!  And pay no attention to that unarmed 17 year old in the driveway...he's old enough to know better.

#whatwouldjesusdo?

That's the thing with breaking in to someone's house, there's just never enough time to hammer out the details before someone gets emotional.  

I hear ya, and she is obviously a major dumbass both for being involved and then giving herself up that way, but I doubt she is charged/convicted of that. The initial splash demands some Big Bang charges to grab attention. There will be a deal.

17 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Nothing makes those pre-church family breakfasts more enriching than reminiscing about the time the kitchen was littered with corpses and splattered with gray matter.  That's why warning shots are overrated.

All due respect, I am confused by your sarcasm. By all accounts the homeowner's son was protecting himself during an act of a crime in which the intruders were dressed in black, wearing masks, and armed with a knife. Sounds pretty "cut and dry" to me(pardon the pun).  

27 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

The three teens who went in got what they deserved. The teen who was a getaway driver shouldn't be charged with murder is all I'm saying. 

She put them in position to die....willingly it seems.

Not much different than intentionally driving off a cliff with them.

I do think burglary charges are excessive

6 minutes ago, MEANDWARF said:

All due respect, I am confused by your sarcasm. By all accounts the homeowner's son was protecting himself during an act of a crime in which the intruders were dressed in black, wearing masks, and armed with a knife. Sounds pretty "cut and dry" to me(pardon the pun).  

Just a little "Devils advocate".  A viewpoint wherein alternate methods of dealing with a B&E are considered.  Methods that don't leave a pile of corpses in the kitchen.  The methods that many an Iraqi citizen likely might've considered around 2005 or so.

See what I'm saying?  Life isn't a movie and goofballs teenagers with a kitchen knife will surely scatter when presented with overwhelmingly lethal force.

Archived