Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is your favorite Godfather film?

Ron78

What is your favorite Godfather film?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Godfather film?

• The Godfather
    • The Godfarther Part II
    • The Godfather Part III
  2. 2. Should Coppola make a Godfather Part IV?

• Yes
    • No

I got the Godfather Epic on my DVR. IMO, every Godfather fan should watch it. It's a 7 hour movie with all the deleted scenes added.

For this poll, I chose The Godfather. Godfather II was close, but the tiebreaker for me was Marlon Brando.

12 minutes ago, Bang said:

the first is a masterpiece, the seond is even better. it's just so well done, and the casting in both films has never been topped.

~Bang

This is how I feel.  The original Godfather was fantastic, but Godfather II was where we got to see Michael get revenge on his enemies.  There was a certain satisfaction in that.

Godfather Part III gets due criticism for a lot of reasons, but I actually have a unique perspective on it because I saw it before I saw the first two Godfather films.  As a standalone movie, Godfather III was actually a pretty solid gangster film.  In the context of the other two films it sucked because Robert Duvall was absent and Al Pacino acted like Al Pacino instead of Michael Corleone.

As far as a part IV goes, I would be on board if it was done right.  It might make up for Part III.

Godfather III should have been made in 1979, the year it takes place. I had read that Tom Hagen was supposed to have a major role in Godfather III, but by the time 1990 roles around, Duvall was a bigger star and wanted more money and was dropped.

Plus, by the time Godfather III was released, Al Pacino was a totally different actor. 

It's obviously a tough decision between 1 and 2, but did vote for 2 mainly for the intertwining of the storylines. 

On 3, it's not as bad a movie as it reputation gets. When compared to the first two, it's not quite on par. However, it's a very good movie and enjoyable. I'm open to a fourth Godfather, but maybe too much time has passed.

4 hours ago, DM72 said:

Godfather III should have been made in 1979, the year it takes place. I had read that Tom Hagen was supposed to have a major role in Godfather III, but by the time 1990 roles around, Duvall was a bigger star and wanted more money and was dropped.

Plus, by the time Godfather III was released, Al Pacino was a totally different actor. 

I was told that they couldn't budget Robert Duvall because they had to pay Diane Keaton.  Given the choice between those two, I would have kept Duvall and dropped Keaton.

2 hours ago, DM72 said:

Just in case no one knows, there's a Godfather prequel called "The Family Corleone" planned.

My understanding is that a fourth Godfather installment would include flashback scenes from the "The Family Corleone" and then present day scenes with Andy Garcia as the don.

11 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

This is a tough call, because I actually think the first one is the better film overall, but I believe the flashback scenes with De Niro as a young Vito was the best part of both films.

Agreed 1000%.

By the way, the premise for 4 when it was discussed was with Andy Garcia as head of the family, but with flashbacks of young Sonny.

On 2/20/2017 at 8:49 AM, Riggo-toni said:

Agreed 1000%.

By the way, the premise for 4 when it was discussed was with Andy Garcia as head of the family, but with flashbacks of young Sonny.

Casting would be very important for the flashbacks.  There was talk about casting Leonardo DiCaprio as Sunny, which would have been awful. 

Godfather Part I.  Though Part II is tied with The Empire Strikes Back as the greatest sequel ever made.  And both had the unenviable task of following one of the greatest movie of all time, but managed to be great in it of itself, simultaneously making its predecessor even better.

8 hours ago, Bishop Hammer said:

Godfather Part I.  Though Part II is tied with The Empire Strikes Back as the greatest sequel ever made.  And both had the unenviable task of following one of the greatest movie of all time, but managed to be great in it of itself, simultaneously making its predecessor even better.

Let's be honest.  Star Wars is not the masterpiece that The Godfather is.  The Godfather is a work of art in every aspect.

The first one is perfectly paced, I also liked the dynamic of having Sonny as the hot-headed brother. Lack of Caan hurt.

Huge fan of the second, good editing and juxaposition of Michael/ Vito's ascension in power.

Gotta go with the first when all is said and done. 

If anyone is a film nerd and wants to check out this lengthy breakdown I wrote some years back here it is:

http://roccocaz.squarespace.com/the-godfather/

They're the two greatest films ever made and two of my personal favorites as well. 

Id go with Part 1 simply because the transformation of Michael is an incredible arc to follow and Brando is amazing. Brando in part 1 and Pacino in part 2 are two of the best acting performances ever put to screen. 

I think part two is an easier watch though for related viewings because the flashbacks help move things along better though the first time it can be confusing since there is a lot going on and connections that aren't explained. Part 2 would have been even better had Clemenza been in the Pentangeli role as planned. It would have meant more to have both of Vito's top Lietuenants betray Michael as he grew further and further ejat Vito had built 

part 3 is still a very good movie but pales in comparison to the other 2.

no way should they make a 4th. Absolutely not  

I can't pick between 1 and 2. They are both amazing. 3 which is always looked down upon is also very good. It wraps it up nicely. Therefore, no, there should be no official Godfather 4 (even tho theoretically there was one. It was called The Last Don)

Archived