Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Baltimore Orioles Thread - We suck again!

MattFancy

This is the Manny I've always wanted to see, but I want to see him do it for an entire season. 

He wants to get that mega payday, he needs to be the straw that stirs the drink. He can't be just another good player. 

If Manny played like this for the entire year, he'd be the MVP without question. I really don't think the O's will trade him in the off-season nor do I think he signs and extension, but if they were going to trade him, this helps bring a kinds ransom for him. 

BRITTON HAVING MRI ON HIS LEFT KNEE. 

Good gracious. 

BRITTON HAVING MRI ON HIS LEFT KNEE. 

Good gracious. 

I knew it.  We missed the chance to sell high on Britton.  I love the guy, but we lost a great opportunity here.  The market for closers and relievers was insanely hot, we might never see anything like that again for a closer.

I'd love to see Manny hit like this for an entire season, too.  He'll be entering his prime soon and I think we can see a few 40 homer seasons from him.  Hopefully, they're in an Orioles uniform.

He's had some legit seasons already.  2 seasons in the top 10 WAR for offense, three seasons of top 10 defensive WAR including a #1 spot.  Finished top 5 in the MVP voting each of the last 4 years.  He's putting up an absolutely hell of a finish to what was turning into a nightmare of a season for him.  One of you guys posted it a little while back, but he stands to finish with a stat line that's right in line with his career averages so far.  Considering how awful he was to start the season, that's a monumental feat.  

I'm not sure how much he's worth, but he's gonna get a ton of money from someone.  It's gonna be a sad, sad day if he gets it somewhere else.  Even sadder because we probably gave a good chunk of what could be his to Davis and Trumbo.

The Trumbo contract will have no impact on Manny's deal. I don't see how the O's actually sign him long term. Manny is going to have to take a little less money to stay in Baltimore. 

BTW, as good as Manny has played recently and his stats look better, I was noticing Trout's stats since the O's just played the Angels. That guy is on a level by himself. He makes $33 million per year. 

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I knew it.  We missed the chance to sell high on Britton.  I love the guy, but we lost a great opportunity here.  The market for closers and relievers was insanely hot, we might never see anything like that again for a closer.

Do you mean last year?  I hear you, but I think you're speaking with the benefit of hindsight.  We were a playoff team and the window for this club to compete was still open.  Management decided to buy for a fading team at this year's deadline.  Just imagine the hard-on they had for the team at last year's deadline, when we were a competitive club heading towards the postseason.  And there's no way they could have traded him last year and sold that to the fanbase, regardless of how much sense it made long-term.

Or do you mean this year?  From everything I've heard, the offers for Britton were piss poor because nobody wanted to give up their best prospects.  F them.  It's bad enough teams lose their best players to the Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs, and Yankees in free agency.  Now we're supposed to give away our best players under contract for marginal returns? 

Yes, we lost an incredible opportunity to completely restock the farm with a single trade last year, but the situation didn't allow for it.  Perhaps it would've been better had we had a crap season last year and finished with 75 wins but Zach was still on a run.  But even then I'm not sure DD would've had the foresight or blessing from ownership to deal him.

12 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Do you mean last year?  I hear you, but I think you're speaking with the benefit of hindsight.  We were a playoff team and the window for this club to compete was still open.  Management decided to buy for a fading team at this year's deadline.  Just imagine the hard-on they had for the team at last year's deadline, when we were a competitive club heading towards the postseason.  And there's no way they could have traded him last year and sold that to the fanbase, regardless of how much sense it made long-term.

Or do you mean this year?  From everything I've heard, the offers for Britton were piss poor because nobody wanted to give up their best prospects.  F them.  It's bad enough teams lose their best players to the Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs, and Yankees in free agency.  Now we're supposed to give away our best players under contract for marginal returns? 

Yes, we lost an incredible opportunity to completely restock the farm with a single trade last year, but the situation didn't allow for it.  Perhaps it would've been better had we had a crap season last year and finished with 75 wins but Zach was still on a run.  But even then I'm not sure DD would've had the foresight or blessing from ownership to deal him.

Yep, last year.  We might have been a playoff team last year but I don't think anyone was figuring us for a legit WS contender.  Having Britton on the playoff roster didn't even matter.  Yes, Buck, looking at you.

I'm not sure what the returns were but if they were being compared to last year then of course they probably weren't as good.  But the market was over inflated for a closer, that probably won't happen again.  I still think we could have netted some good pieces for Britton this year

Zach Britton on his knee.

“Gosh, I’ve probably had it since 2014,” Britton explained. “I got my cleats stuck one time in Toronto in their turf. And it is something that was kind of bothering me. I think I’ve pitched through it the last three or four years. He kind of wants to me to get it checked out. The doctor, Dr. (Michael) Jacobs. I was kind of pushing it off but they said, ‘Let’s just look at it.’ It is not something that is going to prevent me from going to Boston with the team."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2017/08/zach-britton-on-his-left-knee-and-other-clubhouse-quotes.html

Archived