Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bill Callahan should be promoted

robotfire

With Sean McVay leaving, the Redskins need stability for the offense.  Callahan was already heavily involved in the game planning, and McVay will probably try to take him unless he is promoted in Washington.  Callahan has been an offensive coordinator before, leading the Raiders to top five offenses in multiple years.  He also knows how to run the ball, which was McVay's biggest weakness.

Here's a good article about Bill Callahan, and hopefully they will take care of this as soon as possible:

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/redskins-offensive-coordinator-resume-bill-callahan

1 hour ago, robotfire said:

Callahan has been an offensive coordinator before, leading the Raiders to top five defenses in multiple years.  

I know everybody exaggerates at job interviews and stuff, but surely claiming that as OC he was responsible for multiple top 5 Defenses is a bit of a stretch :rofl89:

1 minute ago, UKskins said:

I know everybody exaggerates at job interviews and stuff, but surely claiming that as OC he was responsible for multiple top 5 Defenses is a bit of a stretch :rofl89:

Lol, meant top five OFFENSES (as offensive coordinator), my bad!

If you think about it, we are one dynamic running back away from being a great offense.  You could make an argument for needing another guard opposite of Scherff as well, but, bring in or draft a stud RB and this offense goes to the next level.  Bill Callahan likes to run the ball and has good experience as OC.  Would have zero issues with it.

For the record, I like Rob Kelly but am not completely sold on him or Matt Jones.

9 minutes ago, Rskins06 said:

If you think about it, we are one dynamic running back away from being a great offense.  You could make an argument for needing another guard opposite of Scherff as well, but, bring in or draft a stud RB and this offense goes to the next level.  Bill Callahan likes to run the ball and has good experience as OC.  Would have zero issues with it.

For the record, I like Rob Kelly but am not completely sold on him or Matt Jones.

I'm with you.   I love Rob Kelly too, what a story.   But when compared to the other 31 starting backs he is clearly below average, just does not have the burst.   But you can win with Kelly, I see the need to upgrade LG as more pressing.  On the offensive side of the ball anyway.

Agreed, I think if you improve the Guard position, you could win with him and/or Matt Jones.  Of course, imagine Chris Thompson running behind a dominant OL?  What would that look like?   I love his speed, dude is just fast and runs smooth, can't teach speed.

1 hour ago, robotfire said:

Can the Rams not steal him as offensive coordinator?

29 minutes ago, FrFan said:

I believe they can hire him if they give him a promotion

The NFL has classified coaches as either assistant coaches or Head Coach's, with assistant coaches being any position outside the Head Coach. So no team can take Bill Callahan unless the Redskins give them permission or they offer him a Head Coaching position.

There is some question about Callahan as a play caller. He lost those duties in dallast - one o the reasons I think he left. Not because he lost the paly calling, but the public manner in which it happened. I have heard mumblings that Callahan does not really want to be OC. That he is quite happy being the Oline coach. I do not have anything to verify but I have heard it here and there. Finally, he is very well paid.

I think Wes Phillips has a better chance. He would be my choice. He is a bit younger, is on his way up and he will still have Callahan's help. Maybe Matt Cavanaugh - but like Callahan, I believe he is happy as a QBs coach.

1 hour ago, Rskins06 said:

No, it really doesn't. It's our OL that has been the problem, the same group that Callahan is coaching. Run blocking has been a serious issues the last couple of years, especially anything anything that requires our guys to out-muscle the opposing D. While they pass block quite well (and Cousins is quick to get rid of the ball on average) their run blocking is, at best, very average. I don't know how many runs where Fat Rob for 2-4 yards last year where he should have lost yardage due to the defense blowing our guys backwards. Nope, you absolutely have to pin our running woes on the OL. Rob Kelly might not be a top 5 back, but for a guy that is 225, he's got great quickness and runs bigger than 225, and while not blazing, he's fast enough.

2 hours ago, Rskins06 said:

Agreed, I think if you improve the Guard position, you could win with him and/or Matt Jones.  Of course, imagine Chris Thompson running behind a dominant OL?  What would that look like?   I love his speed, dude is just fast and runs smooth, can't teach speed.

It seems like Matt Jones is no longer a part of this team's future. I wouldn't be surprised if McCloughan drafts a RB to compete with Fat Rob and Thompson.  Chris Thompson is a legit weapon in the NFL but should not be relied on for 20-25 touches a game.  Rob Kelley has great instinct at the RB position but lacks that elite quickness and speed.  I could see the Skins drafting someone like Brian Hill out of Wyoming to compete with Fat Rob.

You could do certainly do worse than Callahan.

He, to me, is like the offensive Wade Phillips.  Success as a coordinator, did alright but not amazing as a head coach, went back to coordinating and position coaching and was successful again.

That we have him as an OLine coach is almost a poor use of his talent.  I would be very comfortable with him being promoted, and then we could go back to fretting about the D. Coordinator.

12 minutes ago, DC9 said:

I want Jay calling plays.

It doesn't matter who the coordinator is in my opinion.

I said over the weekend, Gruden is essentially going to be our OC in all but title, with the others in supporting roles. That's the way I see it anyway.

Just now, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I said over the weekend, Gruden is essentially going to be our OC in all but title, with the others in supporting roles. That's the way I see it anyway.

Yeah, basically his OC is going to be a dude who does reverse scouting and assists with the game plan.

Not sure Callahan wants that job.  Probably more suited for one of the QB coaches or WR coaches.

4 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Yeah, basically his OC is going to be a dude who does reverse scouting and assists with the game plan.

Not sure Callahan wants that job.  Probably more suited for one of the QB coaches or WR coaches.

Agreed which is evident in Cav being the supposed favourite.

Archived