Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-17 Washington Capitals Thread - Thanks for Everything, Ovi. It's Time to Move on.. #Firesale

DC9

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Nothing in this sport makes any semblance of sense.

Sure it does – Pittsburgh's stars were the best players of the playoffs and their goaltending was top notch and yet again, they won the Stanley Cup. Our goaltender was inconsistent and one of our stars was unacceptably subpar to go along with nobody stepping up in the clutch – and we exited early ... again.

In the end Crosby/Malkin >>>>>>>>> Ovechkin/Backstrom

Can't go into next season with Ovechkin and Backstrom together, they cannot be on the same line anymore, and it needs to stay that way for good.

19 hours ago, c slag said:

Wonder if the Capitals will have to open the regular season in Pittsburgh again and watch another banner celebration 

I hope they do. Make Ovechkin pull the rope to reveal the banner.?

Pittsburgh Penguins - 5 Stanley Cups

Washington Losers - 0 Stanley Cups

Sidney Crosby - 3 Time Cup winner

Alex "over-rated eight" Ovechkin - 0

Still my team, but my passion is gone for this group. They'll never win one. Just the way it is.

15 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Sure it does – Pittsburgh's stars were the best players of the playoffs and their goaltending was top notch and yet again, they won the Stanley Cup. Our goaltender was inconsistent and one of our stars was unacceptably subpar to go along with nobody stepping up in the clutch – and we exited early ... again.

In the end Crosby/Malkin >>>>>>>>> Ovechkin/Backstrom

Can't go into next season with Ovechkin and Backstrom together, they cannot be on the same line anymore, and it needs to stay that way for good.

They..have...no...DEFENCE. FOR THE SECOND YEAR IN A ROW. They had a slew of injuries. They should have NOT gotten far, let alone win the Cup again.

The OP was right. Nothing in the sport makes any semblance of sense. Should Nashville have gotten to the Finals? Should Ottawa have made it to the Conference Finals? As beautiful and as fast paced the game of hockey is to watch, the results are often baffling, and I'm getting tired of the pure randomness of the sport. 

1 hour ago, Keith Huddleston said:

They..have...no...DEFENCE. FOR THE SECOND YEAR IN A ROW. They had a slew of injuries. They should have NOT gotten far, let alone win the Cup again.

The OP was right. Nothing in the sport makes any semblance of sense. Should Nashville have gotten to the Finals? Should Ottawa have made it to the Conference Finals? As beautiful and as fast paced the game of hockey is to watch, the results are often baffling, and I'm getting tired of the pure randomness of the sport. 

Three teams with the best records since 2007 in the regular season are Caps, Pens, Blackhawks - two of those teams have 6 Cups and one has 0. The outlier is this loser organization.

The conclusion I've come to is that Hockey requires a level of mental toughness to win that no other sport does. The games are just so much closer and the nature of the sport itself means luck plays a bigger part than anything else(bouncy puck, stick deflections, etc.), that talent differential almost doesn't even matter come playoff time when you play the same team over and over and no longer have to deal with back to backs or any of the regular season shenanigans.

The Penguins are just tough, the cliche "they know how to win." Its ingrained into the culture of their team. Same reason Tiger Woods won a million majors before Phil Mickelson could even win one.

29 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The conclusion I've come to is that Hockey requires a level of mental toughness to win that no other sport does. The games are just so much closer and the nature of the sport itself means luck plays a bigger part than anything else(bouncy puck, stick deflections, etc.), that talent differential almost doesn't even matter come playoff time when you play the same team over and over and no longer have to deal with back to backs or any of the regular season shenanigans.

The Penguins are just tough, the cliche "they know how to win." Its ingrained into the culture of their team. Same reason Tiger Woods won a million majors before Phil Mickelson could even win one.

I don't buy that "culture thing." Until 18 months ago, the consensus around the league was that the Pens had utterly wasted the careers of Crosby and Malkin. They were a soft group of chokers. And now they are odds-on favorites to three-peat with a loaded team.

I don't know what the specific issue with the Caps, but it just seems like they don't score in the playoffs. I have to think its roster construction and an inability to deal with the fact that you rarely get beautiful tic-tac-toe goals in the playoffs.

Of course, not even that makes a lot of sense, based on the fact that the Pens were badly outshot against Nashville and just scored beautiful goal after beautiful goal on their rare shots (the series winning goal being an exception).

I actually think one of the biggest differences is that the Caps never seem to have that X factor rookie player that becomes a scorer in the playoffs. Look at the contributions the Pens have gotten from a rookie each of the last two years. It's insane. If the Caps had a player like that, they would get to the Cup or more likely just find another way to lose....but a guy can dream. 

55 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I don't buy that "culture thing." Until 18 months ago, the consensus around the league was that the Pens had utterly wasted the careers of Crosby and Malkin. They were a soft group of chokers. And now they are odds-on favorites to three-peat with a loaded team.

I don't know what the specific issue with the Caps, but it just seems like they don't score in the playoffs. I have to think its roster construction and an inability to deal with the fact that you rarely get beautiful tic-tac-toe goals in the playoffs.

Of course, not even that makes a lot of sense, based on the fact that the Pens were badly outshot against Nashville and just scored beautiful goal after beautiful goal on their rare shots (the series winning goal being an exception).

What? Nobody was referring to them as chokers. They had already won a Cup and made one other Cup final.

I do agree with you on the lack of scoring though. We overpass and we never have guys crashing the net for ugly goals.

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

What? Nobody was referring to them as chokers. They had already won a Cup and made one other Cup final.

I do agree with you on the lack of scoring though. We overpass and we never have guys crashing the net for ugly goals.

They had one title. And then did nothing for half a decade. I honestly feel like I'm the only person who reads the news here.

Just because they ruin the Caps' season every year doesn't mean they were doing anything special.

This article was written prior to 2015-2016 and was actually a little more optimistic than most on the prospects for the Pens going forward:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/penguins-stanley-cup-window-is-still-open-with-crosby-malkin-for-now/

This article prior to 2015-2016 was the 978th version of the "Pens need to trade Malkin in order to fix their top-heavy lineup" article.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/penguins-gm-evgeni-malkin-is-not-available-in-trade-talks/

Here is the then-annual "How do we fix the screwed-up Pens" article from the end of the 2014-2015 season.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/crosby-malkin-are-not-responsible-for-penguins-salary-cap-problems/

Crosby is a bad leader story from local paper in 2014 that talks about who is responsible for wasting Crosby's prime. The writer blames Crosby.

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/6101920-74/crosby-penguins-game

The Sycophants' excuses never end. They'll tell you the Penguins have wasted the past four years of Crosby's career.

That's a lie. The Penguins had Cup-capable rosters in 2010, '12 and '13 and were certainly as good as the Rangers or Canadiens this year. If their best player hadn't failed them, they'd be playing another flawed team in the Canadiens right now.

Here is a National Post story from 2014 about how Crosby has wasted the prime of his career.

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/pittsburgh-penguins-window-to-win-multiple-stanley-cups-is-closing-fast

Once again, the Penguins had been the favourites to win the Cup. And once again, they came up short. For the second time in four years, they blew a 3-1 series lead. In the process, the Penguins wasted an MVP season from Crosby, who is wasting the prime years of his career, while Jonathan Toews continues to build acn argument that he might now be the best player in the world.

Another article from 2014 on wasting Crosby's prime.

Once again, the Penguins had been the favourites to win the Cup. And once again, they came up short. For the second time in four years, they blew a 3-1 series lead. In the process, the Penguins wasted an MVP season from Crosby, who is wasting the prime years of his career, while Jonathan Toews continues to build acn argument that he might now be the best player in the world.

Well, for one, their top scorer scores 75% of his goals from one spot on the ice that requires he be set up for.  It's no surprise that he disappears in the playoffs when the play is tighter and there isn't much room for a set up.

He needs to let himself lose 20 lbs and work on some of the other skills of the game.  I'm just not certain that he has the drive to change.  We will see.

Later this month, we will see if Las Vegas takes anyone from our team and who we protect.

5 hours ago, Springfield said:

He needs to let himself lose 20 lbs and work on some of the other skills of the game.  I'm just not certain that he has the drive to change.  We will see.

Looking at his leg for about 20 seconds had me totally disregarding breakfast.  Post it everywhere, Mrs. Ovechkin.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2017 at 0:48 PM, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Until 18 months ago, the consensus around the league was that the Pens had utterly wasted the careers of Crosby and Malkin. They were a soft group of chokers. And now they are odds-on favorites to three-peat with a loaded team.

I don't see how that can be the case as the Penguins made the finals in 2008 and won the cup in 2009 with both Crosby and Malkin.

I am a Caps Season Ticket Holder. 

I stood behind like a row of people to see the last two Caps Red Carpets. 

You'll see a bunch of players walk by, sign autographs, pose for pictures, and what not. But you will not see anyone do what Nate Schmidt did. 

Nate was out there during those events wearing his sunglasses, biggest smile on his face ever, posing with all the fans. I still have the pictures I took with the dslr, I will try to find them on my hard drive later. 

That was why Nate was such a fan favorite. Nate always embraced his role as a Cap. He loved being a Caps player and he was just a very effusive and energetic guy in general. 

During the Caps renewal sweepstakes last season, Nate was also featured prominently on the scoreboard, dressed as a game show host in hilarious pre-recorded segments. "Come on down!" Further evidence of what a great personality the guy has, combined with his grit as a hockey player. He is one figure that will be missed around the Caps locker room, I can tell you that for sure. 

Archived