Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Ringer's Kevin Clark says Washington is one of 4 teams that are all in for 2016

Jim Bob

Really? Going by that logic then, the entire team is a hole. /facepalm

To your remark at DL, we have 6 guys that can play DE, and have been productive in the NFL. As for NT, the best NT on the squad is out starting RDE and then we have a rookie 5th round draft choice and...Goldston (who is a 43 DT)? You call that a hole. It wasn't good last year.

I'll requote your previous post:

NT is a question mark.

Both ILBs are a question mark.

RB is a question mark

Safety is a question mark.

C and LG are a question mark.

There was some Irony in my post, because yes, you're questionning almost the whole team.

If ILB are a question mark because you're not sure Foster and Compton can get the job done (that is to assume they'll be the starting line up), then I'll answer you that, yes, put the freaking damn QB in the question mark area because there's absolutely no guarantee he'll have another season like last year. And tbh, his stats will go down, much like Reed probably.

C? Right now it's Licht. no ? here. LG? Lauvao, no ? here. RB? Jones again. So you're putting ? where they don't really exist. Do they have the talent to play? Then, you can throw that question to anyone, will Scherff and Moses hit a wall? Is Moses a one year wonder? How will Norman evolve in his new tenure here? How penalties will Reed costs us? and so on...

Then, what makes you think that Billings would have addressed the NT position more than Baker or Ioannidis, Golston, or whoever?

The fact that he's noted as a NT drafted by a 4-3 team should tell you a few things no?

Also it's one thing to have 3 guys go down and have issues, but another to have no one go down and have issues. Injuries will turn a strength into a weakness, but a opening day weakness is a hole.

Seriously? Was about to post something else, but I'll refrain.

So, you think we're going to win the SB this year. No HOPE, but willing to say we are the favorites? Since that is what this thread was about (are we going all in to win it all this year), are you going to put money on it?

There's a difference between thinking we're gonna win it, and have an opportunity to win it. Panthers won't go 15-1 again, Cards are old, GB, Seattle, maybe, Vikings? Who knows. Why not the Redskins. Winning SB is about being healthy in January.

Now if at the beginning of the season you don't play it like you can win it, step out of the field man, you don't belong there.

Give it a rest. We might not even win the division. We might not even make the playoffs. We just might have a loosing record.

Yeah, we might not even win the division and we might have a loosing record. But we can also go 16-0. Will it happen? not likely. Now I wish luck to the Giants, Eagles and Cowboys to get the division title. Three teams that have tons of holes as well, some that are ven doing some head scratching drafting in the first round (if not the 3) while we're questioning a 4th or 5th round choice by our GM? And we're likely to be less eaten by the injury bug next year.

We may win the Superbowl, as any of the other 31 teams. Will we win it? That remains to be played. But if you don't intend on winning it, don't step on the field, because you're not gonna put that little extra effort that will make the difference between a 1st or a 4th down.

I think he made it pretty clear in his last sentence what he implied, that we were pushing our chips toward a SB run this year. I disagree, we're still building, and have a couple of holes that we could have filled this year, and didn't.

I agree with you. Nothing says going all-in for next year like drafting a position of strength in the first round!!  :rolleyes:

If the Doctson picks shows anything, it's that we are planning for the future departure of Garcon and/or Jackson. 

I'll requote your previous post:

There was some Irony in my post, because yes, you're questionning almost the whole team.

If ILB are a question mark because you're not sure Foster and Compton can get the job done (that is to assume they'll be the starting line up), then I'll answer you that, yes, put the freaking damn QB in the question mark area because there's absolutely no guarantee he'll have another season like last year. And tbh, his stats will go down, much like Reed probably.

C? Right now it's Licht. no ? here. LG? Lauvao, no ? here. RB? Jones again. So you're putting ? where they don't really exist. Do they have the talent to play? Then, you can throw that question to anyone, will Scherff and Moses hit a wall? Is Moses a one year wonder? How will Norman evolve in his new tenure here? How penalties will Reed costs us? and so on...

Then, what makes you think that Billings would have addressed the NT position more than Baker or Ioannidis, Golston, or whoever?

The fact that he's noted as a NT drafted by a 4-3 team should tell you a few things no?

We may win the Superbowl, as any of the other 31 teams. Will we win it? That remains to be played. But if you don't intend on winning it, don't step on the field, because you're not gonna put that little extra effort that will make the difference between a 1st or a 4th down.

Ok, since you're having difficulties understanding simple concepts, I'll explain them to you.

ILB is a question mark because: Opening day starters were both benched, and 1 was cut. Our year ending starters starters were not good last year, we had a guy we thought could help get hurt and he's never seen a snap in the NFL, and we have a rookie.

C is a question mark because: Lich is average when healthy, and he has not be recently and depth there has not performed well.

LG is a question mark because: Lavaro was not good 2 years ago, was really nice for 2 games and has had both knee and ankle surgeries last year and was done for the year. Depth was ok in Pass Pro, but bad in run blocking.

S is a question mark because: Our starting FS is a corner coming off a 2nd Achilles tear, and we don't know who our starting SS is. Might be a rookie that played mostly LB in college, or a guy that is coming off a season ending injury and didn't play a snap for us.

RB is a question mark because: Our most productive RB is gone, our "starter" doesn't have a lot a snaps and had a problem holding on to the football and has a history of getting hurt, our 3rd down guy also has a injury history and we have a rookie that missed almost 2 years to knee injuries.

To the point: the term "question mark" is being used where either production was "bad", there is an injury in which they might not regain form or there is no history for them at an NFL level. It is not being used in a "maybe they will get worse for no reason" senario. Got it?

To Billings. First, while still a question mark, he had been very productive in college as a NT. He may or may not work out, but there is history. I like Baker at NT. but, and I stress HE DOES NOT WANT TO PLAY THERE IN OUR BASE PACKAGE, and is in fact our starting LDE. Golston has been pretty poor there in the past, he is a natural 4-3 DT and at his best, has been no more than depth and is getting up there in age. Ioannidis has played some NT, but was more of a 3 and a 5 tech in college, and he also undersized a bit. So, he's a rookie that would have to learn the position and add weight. And we cut the other guy that might have had a chance to help there yesterday. So, while Billings is not a sure fire answer, he was another possible one, and had shown the ability to do the job very well at some level. And better and anyone outside of Baker.

It's funny. All this because some dip**** said we are all in for this year and you disagreed with me that we weren't. /facepalm

He actually made a very good point on their podcast that we are fringe super bowl contenders after the Doctson pick. Said we can now pass and defend the pass and get after the QB and could be one of those teams that takes the next step.

That's kind of where I thought this was headed

Oh god...please no. I can't handle those types of expectations

This is cool & all, and hope we do well this year.  Maybe we are set up for success, maybe not.  Time, development, chemistry, injuries, everything will tell. I don't (honestly) expect a Super Bowl.  I just want to move forward inch by inch.  Glorious if this year.  Just make the playoffs and and win a game.  "Brick by brick my citizens, brick by brick" -- Emperor Hadrian of Rome

For me, the problem I have with the article is not whether they think we are good enough to challenge for a SB (I think we all know we are not), it's the implication that we have thrown caution to the wind and have once again (like the Vinnie days) mortgaged our future for the sake of trying to win now. That is complete bull****! But of course we will try to win! The difference between a good team and a bad team in the NFL is not really that much. A good run at the right time and you never know what can happen. The stupid gnats won 2 SBs with barely above .500 records!

Before anyone starts to have a cow, I am in no way saying I think we are SB bound! I believe we are a few seasons away from making a real push. But if it happens I would not complain!

But more important, they did no real research into our CAP situation yet trashed it. They just assumed since we gave Norman a pretty big contract that it would make it difficult next year. My point above is that even with Normans $20M cap hit next year we have $48M in cap space. Yes, we have some high profile players to sign. But there is a whole team including Bruce Allen who's entire job it is to keep us out of CAP hell.

As someone else pointed out, you don't draft Josh Doctson in the 1st round if this year is SB or bust. We are built for the long haul, not a quick fix. Norman has been the anomaly, not the norm under Scot. But when you see a true talent become available and you can make it work, it's in the teams best interest to do so.

But even that contract is fairly team friendly. if he is a bust, after next year he can be released with only a $9M dead cap hit. I know that sounds like a lot, but the cap will be close to $180M by then, maybe higher. $9M is not a huge burden.

Again the guy is just running at the mouth and has not clue as to what he is talking about.

So what about $50 mill in cap space next year and almost solely drafting players who are expected to contribute NEXT year, and not this year, says all in?

This was just plain lazy.  Goes to show you anyone can get overpaid to do anything.  Talking heads make me shake mine...

What crap reasoning in this article...Cowgirls are nowhere near a Super Bowl push, Skins are at least a season or two away from a push, KC well...Andy Reid.  However, there is an argument to be made for the Cardinals.

If they stay healthy, yes they are.  Very much.

That's kind of where I thought this was headed

We always are...that's why we're die-hard fans. We never give up.

So when Falcons people say "RGIII this, or Robert that", I always answer with "And your last playoff game was....?"

I think Mac did the very best he could, we got 4 on defense *that were desperately needed for the future*, and we filled some backup needs on offense.

I, for one, am most pleased that we finally got a GM.

Now, let's keep everyone hydrated & healthy. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

We always are...that's why we're die-hard fans. We never give up.

So when Falcons people say "RGIII this, or Robert that", I always answer with "And your last playoff game was....?"

I think Mac did the very best he could, we got 4 on defense *that were desperately needed for the future*, and we filled some backup needs on offense.

I, for one, am most pleased that we finally got a GM.

Now, let's keep everyone hydrated & healthy. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Amen, Mary. We used the draft to support our future not plug immediate needs.

We do have several big offensive player makers on one year deals but we have the money to take care of our guys too which the author neglected to research it seems

Ok, since you're having difficulties understanding simple concepts, I'll explain them to you.

blah blah blah arguments that I shorten to quibken things out and complies rules.

To the point: the term "question mark" is being used where either production was "bad", there is an injury in which they might not regain form or there is no history for them at an NFL level. It is not being used in a "maybe they will get worse for no reason" senario. Got it?

shortening things a bit...

It's funny. All this because some dip**** said we are all in for this year and you disagreed with me that we weren't. /facepalm

Thank you for the explanations, that I already understood from the beginning. But yeah, then I believe that well, considering the part in bold, hell yes, I was a bit short with putting QB in the ? area, since well, I hate to break it to you, but considering this part, then both OLBs, the whole Right side of the line, CB depth, the whole TE group, and even the whole QB group are a question mark too!

Here's why:

- OLB:

- Galette is coming off a serious Season ending Injury, and noboy knows how he'll come back. Still you don't think it's a question mark, because, well, it's Galette, and he's supposed to rock no?

- Kerrigan: Well, he wasn't that good last year frankly, he was a real liability in Run D. But well, that's Kerrigan, so it's OK if he sucks here, let's blame someone else for his mistake.

- Preston Smith: A rookie that had some nice impact in pass rush but isn't great in Run D and who knows if he can go from part time job to full time job?

But yeah OLB is not a ? according to you.

- TE:

- Jason Reed has a freaking huge history of injury, and mind you, we're talking about resigning him next year. Well that is if the guy doesn't suffer another concussion that would put an end to his career.

- Niles Paul: Another fan favorite, that his coming another season ending injury. And was a WR converted TE, that we really don't know if he's that good, besides some coach speak.

- Vernon Davis, a vet on the downside of his career, that we bring in mostly for blocking duty.

- Logan Paulsen another one coming of a season ending injury.

- Derek Carrier, will most probably spend the season on the PUP list.

But yeah, TE is not a question mark...

CB Depth:

- Quinton Dunbar: Guy was an interesting stoy being converting from WR to CB last year that had a few good plays until he got torched by Aaron Rodgers in Playoffs. That sample is small to believe he can transition into anything than an average CB.

- Kyshoen Jarrett: great first season as a rookie playing nickel CB or SS, if he ever sees the field again....

But CB depth isn't a ?.

The Right side of the line:

- Right Tackle: Morgan Moses. Guy had two years for the Redskins One injured, as a Rookie and didn't look that great when he played prior to it. And was great last year. But since you called Lauvao for being a ? because he sucked two years ago (in a different system than the one from last year)then Moses is one also, and well he's got injuries.

- Right Guard: Brandon Scherff, you know that guy did broke his leg when in College? That's no small injury. In was good last year, but can he do it again? Big ? to me.

But apparently, the Right side of the line is fine to you.

The QB Group:

- Nate Sudfeld: a Rookie with awful mechanics, that you need to stash on the PS for a year before doing something interesting with him.

- Colt McCoy: The ideal backup. Can manage a team that is leading, and even make a surprise comeback here and there. But he's got a noodle arm also, and got some injuries too.

- Kirk Cousins: Using the Lauvao argument here again: That guy was neched two years ago for mental breakdowns and throwing interceptions spree that made Tony romoSUCKS blush! And besides that, he was average the first half of the year before going into some killing spree by the end of the year. Which kind of Cousins are we getting this year? Everyone hope for the one we saw by the end of the season... But it's not a given.

But, once again, you didn't labeled QB group as a ? either.

I could go on, because using your logic finally, the only points we are good at is Punter and Long Snapper. Not including Kicker, because the sample of the guy is still short...

What you don't get, is that every team as ? all over the roster, even the Patriots at QB with the "Is this the year when age will start to show on Brady? What's he's backup worth?". Heck, the Broncos won a SB with a huge ? at QB, the Panthers went there with huge ? on O besides QB...

Having holes and ? doesn't mean you can't make a try as a SB.

So, once again, my flawed logic is done talking with you.

I stopped worrying about the cap long ago.. 

The NFL adds to the cap, and no one knows how much it will be every year, bt it is typically a significant amount.

The Redskins signed a big money guy. Everyone knew prior to the signing that D-Jax and Garcon were up for next year and maneuvering would need to be done,, but no more than normal. The Redskins are not "all in or bust" because of them.

Drafting Doctson pretty much proves that. If you're "all in " for this year, he isn't the pick. he's a pick for future consideration.. he's a pick that looks way past this year.

~Bang

Seriously, I wish non-team employees would stop whining about the salary cap.  There are many people, smarter than us, that crunch those numbers as their job. They have much more information than we do, so anybody complaining about the salary cap is complaining about something they have limited information on.  As a fan, the money is totally irrelevant to me.  It's not my money.  I want the best players and best coaches possible.  So what if we spent $20MM this year on a QB and gave a big contract to a CB.  Is our team better with or without them?  That's the only question/answer I honestly care about.

It also makes me laugh when I hear people say "just cut DJax/Garcon next year and insert player XYZ."  Umm, you know how hard it is to find a stud like DJax and a tough as nails guy like Pierre?  Players of their caliber don't grow on trees and not many teams have a dynamic player like DJax that can torch anybody in the league on command. 

But like Bang said, our cap and contract maneuvering will be no different than any other year.  There's so many tricks those guys have up their sleeves when it comes to restructuring current deals.  I trust the team implicitly for once to make the correct decisions on the construction of the roster.  

Final note - take anything you read from the national media with a grain of salt.  They aren't around the team every day and just are not in the know.  It's always speculation on their part. 

Archived