Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Too much of a good thing? WRs and TEs

Burgold

This is a short term problem, but we may not have enough balls to go around. Prior to the draft some were wondering how a double or triple TE package with Reed, Davis, and/or Paul would flummox coordinators... Well, if you have two tight ends on the field, you probably have only two receivers out there at the same time (unless you pull the rb). What then happens? Crowder and Doctson probably sit or our tight ends do.

It's not really a bad problem to have as we have great package flexibility, but in the short term not only is Doctson competing with Garcon, Jackson, and Crowder for playing time, but he's also got to prove he's of more worth on the field than Vernon Davis and Niles Paul.

It's getting crowded out there!  In a year it may all settle out, but right now, we have a surplus of talent. With inventive coaches who are good at managing players' egos that can be a big positive, but it can also go the other way.

Let's see who makes it to the 53 first, And we can hardly blame this with all those injuries we had at TE last year...

I think it could be a problem, but it's probably a good problem to have. Really gives them incredible flexibility potentially to attack the weaknesses of defenses by choosing different personnel groupings.

On the other hand, that's a lot of bodies who might grow frustrated with playing time and touches... and I didn't even include the outsiders looking in like Ross and Grant. I hope we do keep Ross. He may be heir apparent to Jackson though he has a long way to go to be nearly as good.

If these guys want to win, they won't gripe about how many balls are coming their way.

As much as we want to be a power run team, I can see us running more empty back sets to get our strengths on the field. There's a good chance Doctson is going to get plenty of game reps going up against nickle and dime corners, and he's going to need it with the confidence boost for once he starts to move up the depth chart by default in a season or two.

From what I'm reading and seeing on Josh, he knows he has work to do and that includes getting used to a pro route tree, routing running in general (especially short and intermediate routes), and beating press coverage. He's not expected to be a starter out the gate, so really he should be glad that pressure isn't on him yet.

I think it could be a problem, but it's probably a good problem to have. Really gives them incredible flexibility potentially to attack the weaknesses of defenses by choosing different personnel groupings.

On the other hand, that's a lot of bodies who might grow frustrated with playing time and touches... and I didn't even include the outsiders looking in like Ross and Grant. I hope we do keep Ross. He may be heir apparent to Jackson though he has a long way to go to be nearly as good.

My point is that all of those guys won't probably be on the roster this season. Or we go with what 6 WR and 4 TE? or 6/5? that would be a huge portion of our roster in just one area.

We all know that Roberts will be cut when doable, now, I wouldn't rule out Garcon on DJax (most probably Garcon, even if I like him) being traded or cut.

Djax = Z, Crowder = Y, Doctson = X

My assumption is that this is Pierre's last year with us and will be let go next year.  My assumption is also that Roberts will not make the team this year.

Djax

Pierre

Crowder

Doctson

Grant

Ross

Team will keep 6 WRs, and 3 TEs (maybe 4?).

My point is that all of those guys won't probably be on the roster this season. Or we go with what 6 WR and 4 TE? or 6/5? that would be a huge portion of our roster in just one area.

We all know that Roberts will be cut when doable, now, I wouldn't rule out Garcon on DJax (most probably Garcon, even if I like him) being traded or cut.

I strongly suspect we keep both Garcon and Djax this season. I really felt that way prior to the first round. You may be right now. If we cut /trade one of them then the question is which receiver is capable/ready to be a day one starter. I'm not sure I want Doctson or Crowder there yet. Grant wasn't able to step up (and he's obviously now on the bubble too besides) Ross so far hasn't been able to solidify his role either.

The only issue I have with cutting Garcon this season is that he was pretty reliable as a possession receiver. He made some very tough catches in traffic. I understand that Doctson can get those 50/50 balls, but Garcon was so physical and really did a good job absorbing hits and hanging onto the ball. 

At some point though, Garcon and Jackson will be gone so we have to bite that bullet sooner than later (we aren't winning the Super Bowl this season, so maybe it's the right time to transition at the WR position). 

Yeah, Ross and Grant are cut candidates right now, but that would be surprising to cut them both, I believe we'll need one of them for next year.

That is if we really cut Garcon and DJax next year. That's a common thinking around here because they'll be FA, but who knows if we won't resign any on the cheap?

I pretty much disagree with the OP entirely.

We don't have too much talent currently. Sure we have known starters at each position but how talented really is Garcon? Solid, yes, gamebreaking, no. Djax has gamebreaking ability but does make major mistakes and is better suited being a complimentary receiver IMO.

You know 7-8 times a year when an opposing teams wide receiver goes nuts and we can't defend it?

We just got that guy. He posseses talent that is absent and has been absent from our roster for a long time.

I'm not concerned about playing time because Doctson is a mismatch in the end zone and we just saw Gruden's proclivity for giving snaps to a talented rookie wr (crowder). He'll get playing time due to his talent level and/or injury to staters.

And even if his playing time is limited, he will be allowed to develop while giving us some serious leverage concerning wide receiver negotiations next year.

This was a smart pick (oh and we nabbed a 6th rounder) that fits a bpa and needs based approach to the draft that will instantly make the team's offense more potent while also being a good play for the longterm.

Yeah, Ross and Grant are cut candidates right now, but that would be surprising to cut them both, I believe we'll need one of them for next year.

That is if we really cut Garcon and DJax next year. That's a common thinking around here because they'll be FA, but who knows if we won't resign any on the cheap?

I suppose Roberts could make the team over Ross, or Grant, but didn't Grant get more snaps than Roberts last year even?  I suspect Roberts is a goner.

And I doubt Pierre or Djax would be cheap signings.  Both are going to command $8-10 Mil per year or more I'd think.  Can't keep both, and I could even see a situation that Scotty McGM let's em both walk.

Garcon is getting $10 million to be a sub par #1. It's his last year with us. DJax will probably be gone too.

I'd be happy drafting Henry Hunter next. He's a Witten type. That doesn't hurt your team at all.

Then we could draft Dixon and let him win the starting RB job.

Hell, we could draft another WR. Roberts is gone. Ross hasn't done Jack.

We aren't using a FB anymore, so 6 WRs or 4 TEs or 4 RBs, doesn't matter.

I do not think we have too much WR talent and injuries will thin the heard imo. 

I do not think Scot is done drafting WRs either. If he has a WR as his top grade when the skins are up, I think he sticks with his board.

Doctson and Crowder are the only 2 WRs currently on our roster that I see holding over to next year. 

I do not think we have too much WR talent and injuries will thin the heard imo. 

It's weird. I think we may have too many players/talent this year, but might not have enough next year, but it's not just wr I'm talking about. I'm thinking about the different formations. We have a lot of wide receivers in combo with a lot of tight ends... all who should probably be on the field. I kinda like the problem, but it is at minimum a management problem.

We have Reed, Garcon, DJax, Crowder, Davis, Paul and Doctson who should all see plenty of field time. Then, we have Ross and Grant. I'll admit that I root a bit for Ross. I like his story and his effort. He had a helluva preseason and a few nice flashes, but I don't know if he'll ever be more than a fifth guy. Grant probably is history or going to be a reserve and that's okay. He was given a great opportunity and couldn't seize it. I'm assuming Roberts is cut once healthy. 

I dont think you worry about snap counts and whether there are enough to go around for the draft.

For FA, sure. Like when some people said we should consider Greg Hardy (these people were on FB), why? We have snaps for 3 starting OLBs, and we've got 3, arguably 4.

But with the draft, things are always changing on a team, draft picks are cheap, and generally, draft picks have to develop. Leaving them with the 2nd unit for an offseason isn't bad if so long as they get the offseason before they're expected to start with the 1st unit.

And that doesn't even get into how bare our WR cupboard could be within a year or two. Garcon and Djax are not going to be here too long. By 2018, gonna be Crowder, and whoever we bring in from here on out.

The simple answer is no. As long as we are winning, I think this will be a moot point. If we are losing, may be a different story.

I don't think this is going to be a losing team this year though. I havent felt this good about the Redskins in a long, long time.

I pretty much disagree with the OP entirely.

We don't have too much talent currently. Sure we have known starters at each position but how talented really is Garcon? Solid, yes, gamebreaking, no. Djax has gamebreaking ability but does make major mistakes and is better suited being a complimentary receiver IMO.

You know 7-8 times a year when an opposing teams wide receiver goes nuts and we can't defend it?

We just got that guy. He posseses talent that is absent and has been absent from our roster for a long time.

I'm not concerned about playing time because Doctson is a mismatch in the end zone and we just saw Gruden's proclivity for giving snaps to a talented rookie wr (crowder). He'll get playing time due to his talent level and/or injury to staters.

And even if his playing time is limited, he will be allowed to develop while giving us some serious leverage concerning wide receiver negotiations next year.

This was a smart pick (oh and we nabbed a 6th rounder) that fits a bpa and needs based approach to the draft that will instantly make the team's offense more potent while also being a good play for the longterm.

Agreed.. also when was the last time Jackson has been healthy all season, Reed? Did you notice how the whole offence fell off without Jackson and with limited Reed. Dactson covers both spots as a big target that can win one on one battles. He is very much a need this year and should be a true #1 by next year if all goes well.

The simple answer is no. As long as we are winning, I think this will be a moot point. If we are losing, may be a different story.

I don't think this is going to be a losing team this year though. I havent felt this good about the Redskins in a long, long time.

It's a win-win situation to me. 

If we're winning, you can't really worry about it. If we're losing, given the contract status of 11 and 88, you can probably give more reps to the kids anyway. 

You can never have enough good skill players. The more you have, the more it makes everyone else better, essentially serving as a force multiplier.

Lets say you have an offensive formation of Jackson and Doctson wide, Garcon in the slot, and Reed at TE. Who do you double team? Do you keep a safety over the top? Do you blitz? Any of those guys can beat you and beat you bad.

Get as many good players as you can and let the coaches earn their money and figure it out. I'd rather have that problem then go back to like 2010-2011 ish when our best WRs were Jabar Gaffney and 80 year old Santana Moss.

I still remember when we were "loaded" at TE with Chris Cooley, Fred Davis, and Swiss Army Niles during the 2012 offseason. Then we were "loaded" with Fred Davis, Jordan Reed, an over-performing Logan Paulsen, and Swiss Army Niles in 2013. 2014 was meh. 2015 was going to be that big year with Jordan and Niles both lighting it up. And then they didn't.

Laying aside my scrolls of the Washington Redskin Chronicles, there is never, EVER such a thing as too many good players at a skill position. Teams are always an injury, suspension, misfiled contract, or freak meteorite strike away from being completely decimated.

Archived