Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

1 law enforcement officer killed in Florence, South Carolina, 6 others wounded

(CNN) - Seven law enforcement officers were shot, one fatally, during a standoff Wednesday in Florence, South Carolina, city police Chief Allen Heidler said.

Florence County Sheriff's deputies were executing a search warrant when a man opened fire, said Maj. Mike Nunn, a spokesman for the sheriff's office. The man then barricaded himself in the home with children during the two-hour standoff, Nunn said.

The other officers were shot as they responded to assist their fellow officers, authorities said.

"These officers went there unknowing the firepower this suspect had. ... They thought it was a random search warrant," Florence County Sheriff Kenney Boone said.
He said the suspect was in custody.

Boone said: "Fire was being shot all over. The way the suspect was positioned, his view of fire was several hundred yards. So, he had an advantage."

Click on the link for the full article

9 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

The number of guns a "alleged" criminal has seems excessive in hindsight.  130 seems excessive to me.  Is there a magic number though?  

No. The problem is those trained officers only had one gun each. The only thing that stops a bad guy with 130 guns is a good guy with 130 guns.... but only after he’s killed a cop and wounded six others.

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

No. The problem is those trained officers only had one gun each. The only thing that stops a bad guy with 130 guns is a good guy with 130 guns.... but only after he’s killed a cop and wounded six others.

Cute response.  I was serious though.  Is there a number that should set off alarms?  You know I am pro gun but I think 130 is too much.  But is there a number that a line can be drawn at?

7 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Cute response.  I was serious though.  Is there a number that should set off alarms?  You know I am pro gun but I think 130 is too much.  But is there a number that a line can be drawn at?

I dunno. It's not like having 130 guns makes you any more dangerous than having just one. I'm sure if we had a better system for vetting who is allowed to own guns, this cat would have raised several red flags though.

edit: And I'm pro-gun ownership (of the responsible variety) too... I'm also anti-stupid which is exactly what our gun laws are as is the refusal to do ANYTHING about an obvious and extreme problem except flood the country with more and more guns.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Yeah, I wonder.  Can stocking up lots of guns be a sign of something?  Obviously some people just like collecting things and trying different things and some people have hoarding issues.  Is there a way to tell if the stockpiling of guns is indicative of something else though or that the person doing it could be a danger?

Edited by visionary

Part of the problem is that the only way to set off alarms when some guy has 130 guns, is to keep track of who owns every gun.  In order to know who has 130, you have to know who owns 2.  

And, as we all know, if you keep any records at all, then within months, the government will come and take them all away, and months after that, the communist government will cancel all elections.  

In case you can't tell, I think keeping track of who owns every gun is a no brainer, responsible gun ownership, measure.  For one thing, I think it's absolutely insane that when the cops find a gun at a crime scene, they can't enter the serial number in the computer in the car, and get the name and address of the current owner.  (And who he bought it from, and when).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2018 at 10:37 PM, visionary said:

Yeah, I wonder.  Can stocking up lots of guns be a sign of something?  

Dont know. I know lots of people with lots of guns. None of them seem like they’d do anything crazy/stupid. Wouldn’t suggest going to their house uninvited though ;)

hunting can require a lot of guns. Collecting and just being a hobby shooter can too. 

I dont know how or where you draw the line. 

People do the same thing with ammo. They’ll report someone had 500 rounds.  That’s only a lot to people who don’t own guns. 

When you realize they’re tools and you see how their uses are diffferent it’s easier to accept more guns. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Dont know. I know lots of people with lots of guns. None of them seem like they’d do anything crazy/stupid. Wouldn’t suggest going to their house uninvited though ;)

hunting can require a lot of guns. Collecting and just being a hobby shooter can too. 

I dont know how or where you draw the line. 

People do the same thing with ammo. They’ll report someone had 500 rounds.  That’s only a lot to people who don’t own guns. 

When you realize they’re tools and you see how their uses are diffferent it’s easiest to accept more guns. 

I think 20 guns is a decent number to cause a trigger.  As for amount of rounds, 500 is a starter kit.  I have more than that in each caliber.

• Like 2

Arsenal of weapons found in truck of man passed out behind wheel in Florida

181025-miami-pd-arsenal-arrest-ew-1212p_

A stockpile of weapons, including loaded handguns and a semi-automatic rifle, was found in the back of a truck after Florida police found the driver passed out behind the wheel.

David Goldammer, 32, was arrested after officers found him unconscious in his pickup with the engine running and parked in front of an alley in Miami Beach around 1 a.m. ET on Thursday.

Police have not said why Goldammer, from South Dakota, had the stockpile in his car or what he was doing in the area.

Video leads to arrest of Cary man who pulled gun in road rage incident

A Cary man has been charged with pointing a gun at another man as a result of an apparent road rage incident.

Ikeem McCullough and his fiancée were driving in two cars on Maynard Road on Friday when he said Adam Rountree began tailgating her and, at one point, ran her off the road.

McCullough said all three cars pulled into a Cary parking lot, where he pulled out his phone to get a picture of Rountree’s license plate.

As McCullough tried to take the photo, his fiancée took a video of Rountree holding a gun on McCullough.

Click on the link for the full article and video

Police seize over 40 firearms, thousands of ammo rounds and silencers from home

DEVENS, Mass. - A 62-year-old Shirley man is being held without bail after state police seized dozens of unlicensed firearms, silencers and thousands of rounds of ammunition from his home.

Jeffrey Dusti was arraigned Thursday in Ayer District Court. He was held pending a dangerousness hearing scheduled for Nov. 5. The large-scale firearm bust happened Tuesday at Dusti's home in Shirley.

Dusti is charged with 47 counts of possessing a firearm without a license, 44 counts of possessing a silencer, possessing a loaded firearm without a license, possessing ammunition and possessing a sawed-off shotgun. 

11.1-SHIRLEY-AMMO-ARREST_1541106696438_13556225_ver1.0_320_240.png

“The defendant is alleged to not only have been in possession of multiple illegal firearms, but to also have been illegally modifying the guns making them all the more dangerous,” Ryan said. “Simply put, there is no reason that a person with good intentions would require a silencer. Those devices are strictly made for violent and insidious purposes."