Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Logan Paulsen out for year/ TE concerns

Darrel2828

Yeah at this point we count on Reed either.

Not sure what there going to do at this point.

Hope Hamm can emerge, Compton can convert or that McCloughan finds someone on the scrapheap or waiver wire who is good. Mind you, there seems to be a bunch of tight ends dropping and not just on the 'skins.

May be a good year to be creative.

The thought is occurring to me that the fact that we haven't brought anybody in, tells me something. 

It tells me that our GM believes that there is nobody out there, who's better than what we've already got in camp.  (Well, nobody who he's willing to pay, what it would cost, to get them.) 

Assume that we'll be watching the waiver wires, in three weeks.  And we'll be playing the cards we've got, for at least the first few games. 

Hope Hamm can emerge, Compton can convert or that McCloughan finds someone on the scrapheap or waiver wire who is good. Mind you, there seems to be a bunch of tight ends dropping and not just on the 'skins.

May be a good year to be creative.

Yeah, if Compton can be a "blocking TE", that might really help.  (Especially since I assume our plan for dealing with Suh, Week 1, involves running wide, a lot.) 

If Compton can learn how to seal the edge, so Morris can turn the corner, (a skill which I assume OTs already practice, since they don't always have a TE), that might be a really big help. 

Any football experts, out there?  (I know.  Compared to me, everybody is.) 

How much different is it, between being an OT when there's no TE next to you (or when the TE is running a route), and being the TE, when you're not running a route?  To me, it seems like they might be similar jobs.  (At least in that one aspect.)  Seems to me like, either way, you're "the guy on the end of the OL". 

Bryce Quigley (3rd/4th string Guard) played some Tight End in his younger days too, caught a pass in the Aztecs bowl game on a tackle eligible play. But I can't imagine you're going to get better play out of a part-time Oline convert than we will from either the TE's we have on the roster now, or from guys off the street who played TE their entire college career.

If we can't find a decent replacement we're probably better off using formation to get around it, more 3 receiver 2 back sets, some 6 linemen stuff etc. Maybe a couple of  3-back backfield plays (Morris, Young & Jones). Go old school! :)

The problem with Compton is that everyone will know that you aren't going to pass to him. You want the defense to have to at least respect the TE as a potential check down.

I think the GM is going to wait to see whether any TES are cut from teams for the 53 man roster.

Compton needs to start working with the jugs machine, and lose 20-30 lbs.

Or we can see what becomes available in a few weeks.

Damn shame about Niles. The guy stuffed his face and hit the gym to create himself a spot.

Heal well and come back soon!!

The problem with Compton is that everyone will know that you aren't going to pass to him. You want the defense to have to at least respect the TE as a potential check down.

I think the GM is going to wait to see whether any TES are cut from teams for the 53 man roster.

And that's when we have them. Remember the game Donnie Warren caught twelve passes when the Redskins realized that Parcels and the Giants never bothered to cover him!

Playing off of that point, also Compton in the game will likely tip off for example that a run is coming.  It's part of the reason why having a TE who could do a little bit of both -- catch the ball and block -- is valuable not just in their role but also helping the overall offense by keeping the defense guessing. 

Playing off of that point, also Compton in the game will likely tip off for example that a run is coming.  It's part of the reason why having a TE who could do a little bit of both -- catch the ball and block -- is valuable not just in their role but also helping the overall offense by keeping the defense guessing.

But does it really do that? (I'm not arguing. More like asking a potentially dumb question).

I thought that the two-TE set was also referred to as "max protect", and indicated possibly a deep pass attempt.

But does it really do that? (I'm not arguing. More like asking a potentially dumb question).

I thought that the two-TE set was also referred to as "max protect", and indicated possibly a deep pass attempt.

Whether it tips off pass or run, same idea though. Not sure how Jay will use the personnel but from watching last year, its not terribly hard to predict the upcoming play via the personnel-formation. For example when D. Young was in the game it predicted a run was coming most of the time. To your point, Gibbs liked to use TEs more in protecting schemes. Jay didn't seem to go with two TE schemes much last year. Not a lot of 12 personnel. But we saw it some this preseason.

I'd presume he'd use one dimensional TEs in more predictable ways than a TE like Paul who can do it all. He liked using 11 personnel a lot last year, sometimes with Reed in that mix, and they most often passed from that personnel group. With Reed not in on the play and a pure blocker in instead, yeah it could be max protect or run but I suspect Jay who has his patterns (like most O coordinators) will use him mostly for one thing or the other -- whatever that one thing is. And that one thing ultimately could be zeroed in on. Plus makes it easier to defend the pass when the safety or lb doesnt have to worry at all about the te, easier to play cover 2 or simply double team the real passing threats.

Cooley was old and slow his last year here. He's probably older and slower. Can we stop living in the past (as Redskin fans just love to do) and move on?

Reported Zach Miller is recovering from ankle surgery and may not be ready.

I'd trade a conditional pick to SF for Vernon Davis.

What about Zach Miller out of seattle? Or trading for Vernon Davis?

The 49ers have lost half there team. The ownership and fans know this is going to be a tough year

They won't make things worst by trading away a fan favorite and I for one don't want to give up picks for a postion that should've been addressed already.

Why no love for Chase Dixon? He's tall, can jump, Has big soft hands with a very reliable catch history. Although less than ideal weight (6'5" 240) for his height, reports are that is a "willing" blocker. I'll be watching his progress in hopes that we have an answer in-house.

Why no love for Chase Dixon? He's tall, can jump, Has big soft hands with a very reliable catch history. Although less than ideal weight (6'5" 240) for his height, reports are that is a "willing" blocker. I'll be watching his progress in hopes that we have an answer in-house.

Part of me is wondering if maybe part of the reason our FO doesn't seem to be in panic mode, is because we think we've already got people who at least don't suck. 

I hope that's the case. 

Sure would be nice. 

Part of me is wondering if maybe part of the reason our FO doesn't seem to be in panic mode, is because we think we've already got people who at least don't suck. 

I hope that's the case. 

Sure would be nice. 

This was in the twitter thread. There's room for hope here. Perhaps some time after practice with OL coach Callahan can bring this young'ens along. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/injuries-breed-opportunity-for-trio-of-young-redskins-tight-end-hopefuls/2015/08/15/8c639278-429f-11e5-846d-02792f854297_story.html?wprss=rss_redskins-page-shell&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

All three of those in development are about 20 pounds lighter than Paulsen. Dixon probably has the better hands over Mahina.

Archived