Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins: Keyshoen Jarrett S Virginia Tech

TSO

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/players/jarrett_kyshoen.html

Pronounced KY-shawn

2013 Coaches Third-Team All-ACC

2013 All-ACC honorable mention

2014-15: Played in all 13 games, starting 12 of them … Logged 924 plays, 854 at rover and 70 on special teams … Led the team with 88 tackles, including three for loss and half a sack … Also had three interceptions, a forced fumble and five pass breakups … Made four tackles, and also returned two punts for 25 yards, in the season opener against William & Mary … Intercepted two passes and returned them for 35 yards and added five tackles and a break up in the win over Ohio State … Named Nagurski National Defensive Player and ACC co-Defensive Back of the Week after his performance against Ohio State … Broke up a pass and made six tackles against East Carolina … Had five tackles against Georgia Tech … Made eight tackles and added a breakup against Western Michigan … Had three tackles at North Carolina … Made seven tackles, including one for a loss, at Pitt … Had nine tackles against Miami … Made 11 tackles against Boston College … Led the team with 13 tackles and also forced a fumble and broke up a pass at Duke … Made seven tackles at Wake Forest … Had an interception and eight tackles in the win over Virginia … Recorded a pair of tackles in Tech’s Military Bowl win over Cincinnati.

2013-14: A third-team All-ACC choice by the coaches and an honorable mention All-ACC selection by ACSMA … Started all 13 games … Was in on 911 plays, 801 on defense and 110 on special teams … Made 71 tackles and two interceptions, adding a pair of hurries and breakups … Returned 26 punts for 139 yards … Tallied four tackles and two hurries on defense, also returning two punts for 42 yards in the season opener against Alabama … Returned a career-high five punts, while adding seven tackles on defense against Western Carolina … Made five tackles at East Carolina … Made his first career interception late in the fourth quarter and added eight tackles in the triple overtime win over Marshall … Had two tackles at Georgia Tech … Returned his second interception of the year 13 yards and added nine tackles in the win over North Carolina … Made five tackles on defense, while also returning six punts for 41 yards in the win over Pittsburgh … Made a tackle against Duke … Totaled 11 tackles at Boston College … Made four tackles including one for loss at Miami … Had four tackles against Maryland … Made seven solo tackles in the win at Virginia … Tallied four tackles in the Sun Bowl against UCLA … Had off-season left labrum surgery in January and missed all of spring practice.

Great story about his brother.  Definitely worth a read.  Welcome to the B&G, sir!  Hail.

I like the "type" of player (what gets called "high-character") these picks seem to be at early (and very casual for me at this point) inspection--along with liking the big in most positions and and tough and nasty at all positions. These are patterns I'd like to see permeate the team as opposed to other ones of the past. Good dependable over-achieving big-effort competitive guys who are going to knock you on your ass and hand you defeat, or at least a beating and hold a grudge until they can even it up next time.

I like the "type" of player (what gets called "high-character") these picks seem to be at early (and very casual for me at this point) inspection--along with liking the big in most positions and and tough and nasty at all positions. These are patterns I'd like to see permeate the team as opposed to other ones of the past. Good dependable over-achieving big-effort competitive guys who are going to knock you on your ass and hand you defeat, or at least a beating and hold a grudge until they can even it up next time.

I feel like I've been asking "when was the last time somebody called the Redskins OVERachievers?", for years, now.

(Maybe decades).

BOTTOM LINE

Productive, yet limited, three-year starter with a nose for the ball and a willingness to play a physical brand of football. He can be a liability in coverage and will have to be covered up by scheme, but he's an absolute bulldog around the line of scrimmage and can play on special teams right away

Bam, there's the key right there.

He's versatile. Played the linebacker style rover role and spent a lot of time as the single deep safety. Lots of single coverages in the slot too and he held his own even though it's not his strength. He has a flair for the big, game saving play and he's a headhunter that is very physical in his coverage. Good open field tackler that is flexible and strong.

I'm higher on him than most. He's not a clean prospect. He's the type that doesn't seem like he'd be that good but is more than the sum of his parts and forces his way onto the field. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up starting.

I think our rookies might actually kill other back-ups in preseason action this year....we're putting together a squad with really aggressive developmental depth.

Gonna have a few early fan favorites come out of the late rounds this year, just from preseason action.

I think our rookies might actually kill other back-ups in preseason action this year....we're putting together a squad with really aggressive developmental depth.

Gonna have a few early fan favorites come out of the late rounds this year, just from preseason action.

Calm down. I have a feeling that- like most years-  our rookie draft crushes get supremely punked by the likes of Kedric Golston, Anthony Armstrong, or whatever NFL journeyman you'd like to insert. I recall the hype surrounding Selvish Capers. Foolishly, i bought in to that hype. Never again. 

Calm down. I have a feeling that- like most years-  our rookie draft crushes get supremely punked by the likes of Kedric Golston, Anthony Armstrong, or whatever NFL journeyman you'd like to insert. I recall the hype surrounding Selvish Capers. Foolishly, i bought in to that hype. Never again.

You must not remember last year. It took about two practices for Breeland and Grant to become fan favorites, just from the twitter coverage. Our fans love try hard rookies who never quit. This class takes that to the extreme, and we should all be expecting some big hits in meaningless second half preseason action. Fans love that stuff.

There's nothing to "calm down" about. You think I'm wrong, get back to me after preseason. I didn't predict they'd be great players, but that our fans would eat it up in preseason because they're all aggressive, high motor guys.

Guess that happens to everyone, I used to get fooled also.

Nonetheless, I wish for our rookies to push every one forward. To force every Vet to do a bit more to keep their job if they want to. I want our training camp to be real training camps and not camp holidays for vets that punks rookies. Feels like there's a different attitude ongoing with our new boss. If you want a place in the #53 you have to earn it and remain worth it come season time.

If our rookies makes it, great! If they don't, that's how it is. I still know quite a few of them won't make the team, sadly for them.

But we can cheer for them to make it!

Welcome to the team Kyshoen!

You must not remember last year. It took about two practices for Breeland and Grant to become fan favorites, just from the twitter coverage. Our fans love try hard rookies who never quit. This class takes that to the extreme, and we should all be expecting some big hits in meaningless second half preseason action. Fans love that stuff.

There's nothing to "calm down" about. You think I'm wrong, get back to me after preseason. I didn't predict they'd be great players, but that our fans would eat it up in preseason because they're all aggressive, high motor guys.

Perhaps my post came off as more aggressive than i intended, but my point was less about ensuring you "calm down" than about pointing out previous ES man crushes don't have a particularly high success rate. I do remember last year, especially since the infatuation was well deserved in the end- Breeland had very good year, and Grant made active roster and looked competent in limited appearances. So no I don't' think you're wrong, and I look forward to the prospects ES is enamored with this training camp. 

But seriously, you need to calm down. :)

Perhaps my post came off as more aggressive than i intended, but my point was less about ensuring you "calm down" than about pointing out previous ES man crushes don't have a particularly high success rate. I do remember last year, especially since the infatuation was well deserved in the end- Breeland had very good year, and Grant made active roster and looked competent in limited appearances. So no I don't' think you're wrong, and I look forward to the prospects ES is enamored with this training camp. 

But seriously, you need to calm down. :)

You're attributing things to my post I never said. Never said anything about the success rate of ES mancrushes....just predicted that this class would spawn many such mancrushes just from preseason. I think you're looking to have a conversation different from the one you're in, because I don't think you're wrong. It's just not what I was talking about.

He's going to start of special teams, and I won't get my hopes too high, but at least we know that if he develops to the point that he's getting starting time (or is pressed into service), he's not afraid to lay a massive, bone jarring hit on a guy.

That Devin Street hit is one players remember.  It's like when a boxer lands their big right for the first time, and it carries more weight than anticipated.  You remember that.  It influences you.  If Jarrett becomes good enough to start games, and he lands hits like that on a WR, you can bet the next time that WR is targeted he's going to double check that Jarrett isn't 2 feet away from him waiting to land a massive hit.

First sentence in the highlight compilation about him is "I find him to be reckless as a player," (followed by some stuff about respect in the NFL or whatever).

Good start.  I'll take it.

Now get out there on special teams and do some work.

I had the impression that he was more of a strong safety than a free safety, more of a hitter than a coverage guy.  However, this thread leads me to believe he could be a free safety.  Seems like he has ball skills.  Has Gruden given any indication on which role Jarret is more likely to fill?

It's like when a boxer lands their big right for the first time, and it carries more weight than anticipated. You remember that.

If last night's fight was the first I'd seen, I'd have no idea what you were talking about here.

Archived