Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is Chris Culliver

Brokenstriker

Odds and ends about the latest FA signing, Chris Culliver ...

(2011 draft info)

6' 0.5" tall

199 lbs

4.38 40 yd dash

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1273272

Overview

A 2009 second-team All-SEC free safety, Culliver made a successful transition to cornerback, starting the first seven games of the 2010 season before a torn pectoral muscle ended his senior season.

Scouts are confident that the athletic Culliver can make the jump to the NFL. He signed with South Carolina as a wide receiver and even started one game (Tennessee, 2007) early in his career on offense. His next 24 starts came at free safety for the Game****s, and he averaged 61 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss and 7.5 pass breakups per season as a defensive back.

Culliver's lanky frame and good speed make him an intriguing candidate as a press corner or potential option to be moved back to free safety. Either way, his versatility and return skills (South Carolina's career leader with 2,476 kick return yards) should result in a mid round selection, if he's able to reassure teams of his health.

Analysis

Positives: Showed good instincts as a free safety. While aggressive, Culliver was rarely out of position and showed the discipline to stay home on trick plays and misdirection. Reads the eyes of the quarterback and gets a good break on the ball. Normal acceleration with a late burst to close. Quick, active hands in press coverage. Understands zone concepts and due to his experience at free safety and cornerback, understands the role of each member of the secondary. Has quick feet to stop, pivot and accelerate quickly. Competes for the jump ball well, showing an explosive vertical and good timing. Shows a late burst to close. Has natural return skills. Prefers to cut the legs out from under the ball-carrier for his tackles, but is more than willing to lower his pads and lead with the shoulder.

Negatives: Flashes good hands for the press, but gets off-balance and can allow the receiver too easy of a release. Loses a step as he turns to run. A bit grabby with his hands in man coverage. Backpedal is high and choppy. Generally a reliable open-field tackler, but can get out of control in his pursuit and leave cutback lanes. Questionable ball skills despite being a returner and former receiver. Has only intercepted three of 14 passes broken up over his career, including zero of his 11 opportunities the past two years.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/681054-chris-culliver-to-san-francisco-49ers-2011-nfl-draft-scouting-report#articles/681054-chris-culliver-to-san-francisco-49ers-2011-nfl-draft-scouting-report

Culliver was more than impressive at the combine, posting a 38-inch vertical jump and a 4.36 40-yard dash time. He finished his career at South Carolina as the Game****s' all-time leader in kickoff returns and return yards.

Culliver has tremendous speed, an athletic frame, and fluid movement that allows him to recover well to double moves from receivers.

He also has experience at free and strong safety, and has occasionally been given free reign on defense, racking up four sacks out of the defensive backfield in his career.

Culliver's main setback is likely his durability. He missed games every season at South Carolina, including five last season after tearing his pectoral muscle. Culliver also underwent shoulder surgery in early 2010 and missed most of the Game****s' spring practice.

From ESPN.com:

Good athleticism and fluidity. Changes directions well. Easily flips hips when breaking off the hash. Can be a bit tight when having to make sudden 180-degree turns though. Overall ball skills are good. Attacks the ball. Natural hands and pulls in most routine catches.

Overall instincts and awareness are still developing. Anticipation and route recognition skills are adequate-to-good but can get caught peeking into the backfield making him susceptible to play-action.

http://www.draftinsider.net/reports/2011/S/Chris-Culliver

Bio: Three-year [sEC & ranked team] starter at both safety and cornerback. Senior totals included 34 tackles with two passes broken up in seven games. Missed the second half of the season with a torn pectoral muscle. All- Conference selection as a junior with 62 tackles. Experienced kick returner.
Positive: Versatile defensive back with adequate size. Breaks down well, displays effective footwork in all directions of the field, and plays with good quickness. Effective facing the action and displays good recognition of routes in zone coverage. Physical, fights hard to defend the throw, and shows aggressiveness in run defense. Displays a good burst of straight line speed and quickly closes to the action.
Negative: Struggled at cornerback last season, reacting slowly to receivers moves' off the line and struggling to stay downfield with them. Does not always play to his timed speed. Not a strong or sturdy defensive back. Struggles getting off blocks to make plays. Coming off an injury.
Analysis: When healthy and at the top of his game, Culliver can be a productive defensive back who is best lined up in a zone system facing the action and can help in the return game. He must get back to full health but is worth developing for the future.

Culliver has 7 interceptions in three NFL seasons. He missed the 2013 season with a torn ACL.

Culliver has unresolved legal issues in San Francisco. He was charged with felony possession of brass knuckles during the 2014 offseason, and faces two misdemeanor charges in connection with a hit-and-run incident. A police report states that Culliver struck a bicyclist then fled the scene.

In Washington, Culliver will play alongside Hall, David Amerson and Bashaud Breeland. The team has to decide whether to keep Tracy Porter, who is under contract for 2015 but wasn't a contributor in 2014.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/30/chris-culliver-49ers-cornerback-gay-players-not-welcome-in-nfl_n_2584762.html

A player for the Super Bowl-bound San Francisco 49ers gave a controversial, anti-gay interview just days ahead of the NFL's championship game.  Speaking with shock jock Artie Lange, cornerback Chris Culliver said he's not OK with gay players in the NFL or on his team.  "I don't do the gay guys man," Culliver said, according to Yahoo. "I don't do that. No, we don't got no gay people on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do."  Culliver went on to say that gays would not be welcomed in the locker room, but if they remained closeted, he might be all right with them playing.  "Yeah, come out 10 years later," he said.

I wonder if the fact that he also used to play safety added to his appeal.  Versatility in the secondary is a definite plus in my book, especially considering how thin we are.  Id love it if they could get a few more guys in the draft who have the potential to fill in a few different spots or rotate like Harris or Shaq Thompson.  Combine that with D hall at CB/some reps at FS and we could be decent.  Also helps cover your butt when injuries hit

Why am I not surprised that this is the first response?

because it is potentially a glaring problem?

glad we signed this guy, if anything for his masculine view and the courage to speak the truth

this... is utterly hilarious :) 

macho dude...macho!!

Why am I not surprised that this is the first response?

What is your point with this post here? 

It reads like you're demeaning bantu's response as though it's whack.

The response seems quite appropriate if the story is true.

Now if all you meant was bantu is likely gonna **** (or troll) no matter what, I get it.

It's hard for me to see the comments (and putting them out there in that situation) attributed there in any other form than one of concern, or at least wariness. I'm hoping this stuff was carefully considered in the decision. 

A homophobe, apparently. Hopefully, immaturity is to blame.

Seems like he was clowning (immaturely) on a comedian's show (Artie Lange, man, not like he was on Charlie Rose.  Speaking of which does anyone watch ol' Charlie anymore?)  

Not overly concerned about it, other than he should probably pipe down.  But if he ever wants to make a serious statement that isn't popular in the contemporary sociopolitical environment, I'd support his right to do it even if it sounds absurd.

Also, just because everyone thinks they know what's what today doesn't mean 200 years from now, people won't be laughing at you. (Think of what later generations/civilizations thought of some ancient Greek or Roman practices.  it's interesting because most of them would probably still be considered homophobes regardless of those practices)  

(disclosure: I wouldn't mind playing on a team with an openly gay teammate and don't agree with his statement if he meant it.  But I don't mind humor that offends, either, or even isn't very good.)

glad we signed this guy, if anything for his masculine view and the courage to speak the truth

"Courage to speak the truth"? 

What "truth" is that?

"I don't do the gay guys man."

Is that the truth that was so courageously spoken?

Or maybe:

"No, we don't got no gay people on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do."

Was that it?

He's just expressing - very poorly, I might add - his thoughts. Where am I missing his Norma Rae-esque, courageous proclamations of "the truth"? 

Doesn't like gays. Involved in a hit and run. Other charges he hasn't ironed out yet. 

Wow, sounds like a great addition. 

Man, we can't have choir boys at every spot.  The NFL is loaded with men from rough backgrounds.  It's not like he murdered dogs, murdered humans, knocks girls out, abuses kids, etc..  Hopefully he's matured and won't do anything controversial in the future. 

What is your point with this post here?

It reads like you're demeaning bantu's response as though it's whack.

The response seems quite appropriate if the story is true.

Now if all you meant was bantu is likely gonna **** (or troll) no matter what, I get it.

It's hard for me to see the comments (and putting them out there in that situation) attributed there in any other form than one of concern, or at least wariness. I'm hoping this stuff was carefully considered in the decision.

Haha, not trolling. Funny thing is, this kid can play and is built like a Richard Sherman-long armed type. In McCloughan I trust.

I pretty much agree with Nibbs & War Paint's comments, but would add this:

Someone holding and projecting blatant racism or bigotry like that (if he wasn't joking), unless he's recanted or reformed his attitude, could certainly keep a guy off my team if I was in charge. It troubles me as to how you credibly talk of the importance of "character" in your players and give a "oh well, we can use him" pass to that kind of bigotry, unless bone-deep hypocrisy is a comfort zone.

"Tony's a great WR, he just thinks the Mexicans are taking over our country and not even learning the language and he doesn't like it."

And glossing over matters of principle based on how socially popular some concept is or isn't at a given time is full of pitfalls. Slavery of all stripes or deciding of human worth by gender/race/sexuality/ethnicity (i.e. women as property or secondary status) was quite popular for most of human history to date and still is in many minds and places. That doesn't make it ok in principle.

I was on Spartacus' side even when he was taking a socially unpopular position.

OTOH, if he's serious but has mellowed on it or just keeps his mouth shut (just re: the bigoted talk) and behaves well to others, and everyone else in the org is fine with it, and he helps us win, I'll wear my own Mr. Hypocrisy t-shirt while he believes whatever he wants to believe.  :o  :D

Football-wise, I thought it was a good get, and this doesn't send me into serious concern, but I think these are matters worth noting.  :)

Archived