Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ABC: Curt Schilling, Ex-Red Sox Pitcher, Knocks Down Internet Trolls Who Bullied His Daughter

Zguy28

Curt Schilling, Ex-Red Sox Pitcher, Knocks Down Internet Trolls Who Bullied His Daughter

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/red-sox-pitcher-curt-schilling-knocks-internet-trolls/story?id=29351199

World Series MVP and former Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling took matters into his own hands when Twitter users started to cyberbully his teenage daughter.

The All-Star struck back at two Internet trolls in particular who made vulgar remarks, with Schilling revealing their identities and schools on his blog.

Rest at link.

Link to the blog post (Warning for crude language from Twitter quotes) -  https://38pitches.wordpress.com/2015/03/01/the-world-we-live-in-man-has-it-changed/

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/yankees-fire-employee-who-harassed-curt-schilling-about-his-daughter-184408267.html

The next chapter in Curt Schilling vs. Twitter trolls morphed into one of baseball's most familiar clashes: the Boston Red Sox vs. the New York Yankees. And again, Schilling won, dismantling one Yankees employee in particular.

On Sunday, Schilling penned a 1,700-word blog post exposing some of the Twitter trolls who had been harassing him by sending sexually explicit messages about his 17-year-old daughter, who he had publicly congratulated for getting into college. In many cases, these tweets were far, far over the line, going past your typical locker-room bro bragging and even into unacceptable talk of rape.

There's a link in the article to Schillings Blog where he posted some of the tweets sent about his daughter. People are disgusting. I'm glad he make those tweets even more public, and that people are feeling the real world ramifications of their online doucebaggery.

It's awesome.

I wish there was some sort of watchdog group that just went around outing Internet trolls to their work, school, significant others, etc. I would love to see repercussions for the brutally harassing things people post online.

Internet etiquette is something that should be tought in grade school.

In the comments section of the blog, there are people outing some of the other people who tweeted nasty things to Curt and his Daughter.

You know, I like to laugh at the Mean Tweets on Jimmy Kimmel, but what makes people do something like that. I don't even pull that on people I know, let alone a celebrity I've never met. I simply don't understand that mindset.

Zguy, i didn't notice you already had a thread started on this. I asked the mods to merge.

The two guys who wrote the most vile stuff:

-  Hollywood@primetime227 turns out to be Sean MacDonald, a recent graduate of Montclair State University, who was working part-time as a ticket seller for the New York Yankees.  He's been fired.

- "The SportsGuru@NagelsBagels is Adam Nagel, 20, of Edison, NJ had a 1-hour a week radio show on the student radio station at Brookdale Community College.  He's been banned from the station and suspended from the school.

Anonymity breeds contempt.

The internet brings out the worst in people, precisely because the anonymity means there are never any consequences for what you say/do.

I'm glad in this case these punks got exposed. Trolling is fine as long as it's fun and harmless but there is a line and if you cross it, you should be punished.

Let this be a lesson to any father in the public eye.

Don't post stuff about your kids. That's when the creeps come out and ruin everything.

If you're proud of your daughter, that's great. Nothing wrong with sharing the information with your friends and family the old fashioned way. Not every piece of information needs to be shared with the world.

Let this be a lesson to any father in the public eye.

Don't post stuff about your kids. That's when the creeps come out and ruin everything.

If you're proud of your daughter, that's great. Nothing wrong with sharing the information with your friends and family the old fashioned way. Not every piece of information needs to be shared with the world.

Agree,

But, if you want to be a 'big man' and post horrible crap about a person, I don't have any problem with you getting called out for it.

If you don't want to have someone post your personal info, don't go after their family.  Just because you suffer more after the fact doesn't make the original attacks OK.

Agree,

But, if you want to be a 'big man' and post horrible crap about a person, I don't have any problem with you getting called out for it.

If you don't want to have someone post your personal info, don't go after their family.  Just because you suffer more after the fact doesn't make the original attacks OK.

But the fact remains that the damage has been done to his daughter's psyche. There are teenage girls who commit suicide as a result of cyber-bullying.

Curt Schilling could have prevented the psychological harm this caused by refraining from posting the information in the first place. In the old way of the world, pre-social media, this would never have happened. It's Schilling's lack of foresight into the consequences of what he was posting that really should be the focus point, if you ask me. Of course it's beyond sick what those "men" posted about his daughter, but you have to know that those sickos are out there waiting to post something disgusting. Thus, the situation could have been altogether avoided. It's pretty simple.

But the fact remains that the damage has been done to his daughter's psyche. There are teenage girls who commit suicide as a result of cyber-bullying.

Curt Schilling could have prevented the psychological harm this caused by refraining from posting the information in the first place. In the old way of the world, pre-social media, this would never have happened. It's Schilling's lack of foresight into the consequences of what he was posting that really should be the focus point, if you ask me. Of course it's beyond sick what those "men" posted about his daughter, but you have to know that those sickos are out there waiting to post something disgusting. Thus, the situation could have been altogether avoided. It's pretty simple.

Again, I agree with the gist of your post.

I would never post stuff like this (hate to even put anything about my family online at all).  That being said, he SHOULD be able to post this stuff without having idiots like these guys replying with hateful stuff like they did.

Again, I agree with the gist of your post.

I would never post stuff like this (hate to even put anything about my family online at all).  That being said, he SHOULD be able to post this stuff without having idiots like these guys replying with hateful stuff like they did.

In a Utopian world we could enjoy this, but it's just not a reasonable expectation, unfortunately.

I think we all would agree that people should be much more respectful behind the anonymity of a pseudonym and computer screen.

But, people suck, and that's just an unfortunate fact..  so while i agree with you people should expect decency, they are not going to get it, so the wise move is to keep family private.

I hardly ever post anything about my wife or my kid on any social media sites, simply for the reasons we're seeing. (I will here, because i like the mods, i trust the mods, and i think as a group this site in particular handles itself very well. Kudos to everyone.)

That said, i am thankful every day that i don't have a daughter. And if my son ever behaved like any of those people, i'd whip his ass to within an inch of his life, and then send Schilling the pics to show it had been handled by another parent who cares.

~Bang

Kudos to Schilling.  Excellent work.  This seems like it would have the makings of a tv show.  "To Catch a Troll" or something, where some tv host tracks down trolls and confronts them about the things they write at people.

It's something I worry about, as a dad of two girls.  Not today.  They're only 6 and 3.  But what things will be like for them on those fronts when they're teenagers.  I guess it almost certainly will be worse, in some ways, in 10 years.

BS. You're basically saying he asked for it. It's like saying that girl should have known wearing that tight dress what could happen. That guy knew buying that nice Benz should have known what would happen....BS.

After living in China for a long time, its easy to see how their (and many other country's) way of rule by iron fist can sometimes be the better way to govern. You get caught doing this garbage, you get put down. Its pretty simple. I get that being a celebrity of sorts, posting anything ( even yourself dancing and singing some jackson) can be torn apart. But what as a society are we doing to stop it? I have been all for being anonymous on the internet. I scoffed at ESPN when they changed their message boards. But i dont think i would be opposed to that changing anymore. People will always be able to post annonomously on the internet. But there should be consequences for that. It cant be that hard to find these people. Face recognition/googlesearch software is pretty good.

He lacked foresight for posting that he was happy his daughter was going to play softball?

He lacked foresight for posting that he was happy his daughter was going to play softball?

Just don't post anything about your kids. Especially your daughter. And especially when you're a public figure with several thousand people following you. It's pretty damn simple, man.

If you've ever actually been on Twitter, or on the comments section of a YouTube video, It's incredibly naive to assume that every response to that post would be congratulatory.

Being a celebrity is a weird life.   This is a perfect example.   My daughter just got into college, and she is going to run track, and I could write about it on Facebook or tweet about it or blog about it just like millions of people do every day, and nothing bad would happen.

But if you are a celebrity, all bets are off.  It's a huge trade off for the fame and money. 

Archived