Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN980: Could Jay Really Be One-and-Done?

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Click to read the rest

http://www.espn980.com/includes/blog/index.php?action=blog&blog_id=8&post_id=21381

This shouldn't be a surprise to anybody. The Redskins are a bad football team and completely submerged in chaos. 

Every day and every way. If it's not a fringe hall of fame linebacker who over-stayed his welcome pummelling Jim Haslett from out-of-nowhere, it's multiple stories about whether the Jay Gruden era will last beyond the NHL's Winter Classic at Nationals Park in the district. 

Something makes me wonder if the Redskins will do the unthinkable (until about a month ago) and purposely upstage the Capitals & to some degree Nationals during one of the best sporting events of the year. 

Ehh, I am sure they will do something. 

The bigger point is that - for the 2nd January in a row - there could be complete upheaval at Redskins Park. None of it will matter of course, because the franchise will never change until their philosophy and way of doing business changes.

why not?  This is seemingly a separate article, why not give it a separate post.

I fail to see how the Redskins are classless.  I also think that London Fletcher is disconnected from the Redskins organization now so making  claims he somehow represents them is inappropriate.  And saying he overstayed his welcome on the team, a team that always lacks leadership, is pretty classless itself

Also last January wasn't a complete upheaval.  A surprising amount of stuff stuck around and stayed the same

What coach with any talent, would want to coach under Snyder???

Danny will make someone rich, and all they will have to do is disagree, or defy Snyder publically or otherwise, to be the next 1 and done...and there will not be so much as a blemish on their coaching résumé,,, because the entire league knows - what an absolute buffoon Snyder is!!

What coach with any talent, would want to coach under Snyder???

Danny will make someone rich, and all they will have to do is disagree, or defy Snyder publically or otherwise, to be the next 1 and done...and there will not be so much as a blemish on their coaching résumé,,, because the entire league knows - what an absolute buffoon Snyder is!!

so what if the league disrespects him?  Hell after the cap debacle hearing the res of the league owner hate him just ups my opinion of him

It isn't as easy as firing Jay, sure, that may seem like an answer, but there is no way any quality coach would want to come here. It would have to be a yes man. Not to mention, you fire Jay, you must clean house of any / all potential distractions that may remain next year. New DC, New OC, New QB, New GM (if they hire one), complete rebuild from top to bottom.

I am of the mindset you keep Jay, give him this offseason, the draft, etc. to try and correct this ship. It starts with a new DC and there has to be moves made to illiminate potential distractions.

It isn't as easy as firing Jay, sure, that may seem like an answer, but there is no way any quality coach would want to come here. It would have to be a yes man. Not to mention, you fire Jay, you must clean house of any / all potential distractions that may remain next year. New DC, New OC, New QB, New GM (if they hire one), complete rebuild from top to bottom.

I am of the mindset you keep Jay, give him this offseason, the draft, etc. to try and correct this ship. It starts with a new DC and there has to be moves made to illiminate potential distractions.

I cant understand this mindset.

He is showing to be a bad coach. This team has not improved. It has not gotten better and he is being outcoached. He talks too much to the media and just looks lost and over his head. This offense has actually gotten worse. He is a bad coach.

I usually dont support firing a coach after one season, but this is an exception. He really is a bad coach. Why keep someone that is obviously failing around?

He is showing to be a bad coach. This team has not improved. It has not gotten better and he is being outcoached. He talks too much to the media and just looks lost and over his head. This offense has actually gotten worse. He is a bad coach.

I usually dont support firing a coach after one season, but this is an exception. He really is a bad coach. Why keep someone that is obviously failing around?

So you fire him after 1 year? Like I said, that is the easy answer, however, that in itself will not be enough. If you Fire Jay, then you had better trade / release RG3, if not, the locker room is more fractured than it is. The perception (perception is reality) is you have a QB (who is not very good) who is a coach killer and has too much power within the organization, what quality coach will want to come here? What player will want to support RG3? Please don't give me the "Players are paid to play and it shouldn't matter" because we all know that is not true.

If you read my whole post, you would have seen where I said you have to do a complete rebuild, from top to bottom. That is the only way I would support Firing Jay.

yeah, maybe in another city the whole honestly thing he's got going on would work, but it's not working here.  Especially since everyone keeps reading into it for more, even though they think he's being honest

RG3 has no future here!  Sure he's the backup and Jay has just shown that he's willing to put him in games.  But that's just because Kirk's been so bad.  Except now he's saying he could play him again too. 

And I really don't know that the average poster here has any idea as to an NFL coach's actual mindset.  If the league owners really have no respect for Snyder, which we also don't know and would be foolish due to his increase of the Skins worth, then why would they hold being fired quickly by Snyder against a coach?

So you fire him after 1 year?

YES! Its exactly what I said.

If you Fire Jay, then you had better trade / release RG3, if not, the locker room is more fractured than it is. The perception (perception is reality) is you have a QB (who is not very good) who is a coach killer and has too much power within the organization, what quality coach will want to come here? What player will want to support RG3? Please don't give me the "Players are paid to play and it shouldn't matter" because we all know that is not true.

If you read my whole post, you would have seen where I said you have to do a complete rebuild, from top to bottom. That is the only way I would support Firing Jay.

I dont care about RG3. RG3 has no role in this. He can stay or go. Its completely independent to what I see with Gruden.

Stop looking at perception and focus on what is happening on the field. Gruden is a bad coach. He is actually at Zorn levels. Stop supporting someone because you care about how everyone else looks.

YES! Its exactly what I said.

I dont care about RG3. RG3 has no role in this. He can stay or go. Its completely independent to what I see with Gruden.

Stop looking at perception and focus on what is happening on the field. Gruden is a bad coach. He is actually at Zorn levels. Stop supporting someone because you care about how everyone else looks.

RG3 ABSOLUTELY has a role in this! Don't kid yourself into thinking he plays no part. If there is truth in reference to Snyder and Allen wanting RG3 to remain but Gruden does not want RG3 here and would seem to prefer him to be gone, do you think for a second the story won't be RG3 got a 2nd HC fired? However, I believe at this point, even if Jay stays, RG3 needs to be gone anyway.

Also, if you read my entire post (instead of putting it in quotes), you would have seen where I stated if you fire Jay, you completely clean house from top to bottom. I am not in support of firing Jay this year, I would like to see him get one more year, HOWEVER, if you do fire Jay, you completely clean house.

That is quote worthy. Why do people feel like everything has to be tied to RG3?

Gruden has shown zilch. RG3 doesn't help coach the team. Gruden has made his bed, and now he must piss in it.

Well, its possible. Highly unlikely, but possible.

But I think they know if they can him, no decent coach would even think about coming here, regardless if its 1 of 32 jobs in the world.

Coaches have morals and standards, our FO doesn't.

That's why this is a huge decision for Snyder/Allen, but moreso Snyder.

Do you stick with Jay another year and risk another disaster like this and alienating even more fans with the constant disappointment?

or

Do you let Allen/Gruden walk and risk no coach wanting to come here?

This really is a franchise defining move for Snyder. I on the Fire Gruden train, but can see how this isn't an easy decision. But you have to seriously look at everything an wonder if this current structure is going to work going forward. If there is any doubt, I think you have to move on. It would be different if we were showing some signs of progress or improvement under Gruden. But these last few weeks have been a disaster, minus the 49ers game. 3 of the last 4 weeks have been some of the worst games this team has played. That's not a good sign for a 1st year HC. Think we all expected it to take a few weeks for the team to really get Gruden's system going. But, we're 13 games in and it's not getting better. Look at other rookie HCs like Pettine and O'Brien. Both of them are sitting at 7-6 right now. Gruden is 3-10.

The problem with firing Gruden is going to be, who comes here next? Think the only way you can get a decent HC is to bring in a GM that is well respected. Allen can't stay around and choose another coach. Allen hasn't shown 1) He knows how to pick coaches and 2) He knows how to pick players. So getting the right GM could help make the coaching search a little better.

The Drums should be beating for Allen as much as or more than anyone else.

He brought in a Tusker with no NFL head coaching experience. That coach has seemingly lost the team in less than 1 year. Its never too early to cut losses. There are PLENTY of potential rookie head coaches that would come here, and I don't think we would miss a beat since it seems our team is actually regressing.

Which few would have thought was even possible.

The Drums should be beating for Allen as much as or more than anyone else.

He brought in a Tusker with no NFL head coaching experience. That coach has seemingly lost the team in less than 1 year. Its never too early to cut losses. There are PLENTY of potential rookie head coaches that would come here, and I don't think we would miss a beat since it seems our team is actually regressing.

Which few would have thought was even possible.

Regressing is the key word. With a rookie HC, you are looking for progress, especially late in the season. The Texans are seeing it, the Browns are seeing. We're not seeing it here with the Redskins. 3 of the last 4 games this team has played are arguably 3 of the worst games they've played all season. This team should be getting comfortable in Gruden's system right now, not regressing. Gruden himself hasn't helped the cause by constantly swapping QBs.

Folks, we don't know the locker room.  Look at the RG3 punting alone bit.  It leads to comments on how the locker room must be a lonely place for him.  The theorizing within just shows how much is guess work.  For all we know it's the exact opposite.  The locker room could be all backslaps and you'll work it outs.  And sometimes when you're frustrated or pissed at yourself  you want to be allowed to feel that way.

I just wish people would stop acting like they knew things.  Admit that we're guessing here folks

Archived