Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Official All 22 Coaches Film Thread - Nothing But All 22 Questions and Observations

gortiz

This is almost mind boggling if I'm analyzing it right. Play was 3rd Q, 10:22. There are seemingly FIVE guys open on this play, but Robert pulls the ball down and heads out of the pocket? What i am seeing more and more is a habit of breaking the pocket really early and not letting routes play out.

post-148852-0-90004700-1416358157_thumb.jpg

At this point, I'm not even sure if Compton is better than Polumbus

(Whispers) which is why he was backing up Polumbus for 3 years....

But the difference is, Compton has shown some flashes, and played well against Minn. you know what you (don't) have in Polumbus.

Now you can see what you have in Compton.

It's going to really freaking stink, however, if the team spent a 3rd on a tackle (Moses) who they want to play RT but can only play LT. When you already have a top 5 LT.

This is almost mind boggling if I'm analyzing it right. Play was 3rd Q, 10:22. There are seemingly FIVE guys open on this play, but Robert pulls the ball down and heads out of the pocket? What i am seeing more and more is a habit of breaking the pocket really early and not letting routes play out.

image.jpg

He doesn't trust the OL, blitz pickup, or his eyes. He trusts his legs.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Holy crap! There's no words.

Some of his ardent supporters will tell you he never has time or open receivers to throw it to. I wonder how the practices are run and how he does with the same plays in practice. This type of QBing is amateur at best and definitely not NFL material.

One play alone.. Robert held the ball, took off out of a solid pocket to right after a count of two...  Moved towards the sidelines for a count of 8 total, then ran back to the center of the field where pressure was and a incompletion ensued..  Just one of the many plays if you watch the film that shows Robert has let his legs run him into trouble.

One play alone.. Robert held the ball, took off out of a solid pocket to right after a count of two...  Moved towards the sidelines for a count of 8 total, then ran back to the center of the field where pressure was and a incompletion ensued..  Just one of the many plays if you watch the film that shows Robert has let his legs run him into trouble.

Im not trying to nitpick, but its so striking how quickly he bails on the pocket when you rewatch.

Yeah, that was the corners against Cover 2 Zone that Baldinger showed yesterday.  Literally threw up in my mouth when I saw this.  Then he rolls right and throws to the most covered check down.

This is the one play right here where I don't know what to say.  Clean pocket and literally everyone is wide open.  Not sure what he was thinking.

He doesn't know how to play in a drop back game and Gruden can't make it any simpler.  No one can.  He's used his legs at every level up until know to get him out of trouble and he can't at this level. 

Do you guys think he will accept coaching cause this film sucks really bad?

Fixed it for you. 

Good question though.

Here is a pretty crucial play that I went back and looked at.

It was 3rd and 13 with seven seconds in the third quarter. I for the life of me cannot explain why Ryan Clark literally went 10 to 15 yards (arrow) away from Mike Evans leaving him with one on one coverage? At the time he already had over 100 yards.

Also Tracy Porter and Brandon Merriweather (yellow circles) doubled Louis Murphy who at the time of this play had a grand total of zero catches for zero yards?

post-148852-0-45579300-1416363618_thumb.jpg

Anybody get any feedback back on our young corners played?

I don't know that the coverage was bad for any of them.  They got beat a couple of teams but they were covering a basketball team.

I didn't mind the defensive gameplan so much.  Some of the third down nonsense was over thought but I think both the corners would get a B- or thereabouts from me.

Didn't get a ton of help from the pass rush so they were in coverage for a while.

Think the only explanation for that play by Robert is right now we have a QB with 0 confidence in anything he is doing. Pretty sad. Was constantly saying during the game why aren't we giving him some easy throws. Doesn't get much easier than that.

Yeah, that's what I got on Kyle about.  DG would have some great discussion threads last year about opening scripts, I think outside of the Vikings game (where, shocker, we started strong) Kyle didn't really take the opportunity to get Rob into a rhythm.

But Jay quite literally can't make it any easier, which has made me the green sour patch kid, lol.

God this game film is awful. Watching the coaches film makes this loss MUCH worse. I don't think I'm going to make it through the 2nd half tonight.

It was so bad that KDawg is gonna have to get drunk before he can get the nerve to watch it. :)

I know the film is gross, but what would you guys suggest that we could do to help Griff out?  I think some no huddle would make sense, push tempo, allow him more time at the line to diagnose things pre-snap.  Whatever we do, I hope we do it quick.  Aldon Smith is back and looking for blood.

It was so bad that KDawg is gonna have to get drunk before he can get the nerve to watch it. :)

I know the film is gross, but what would you guys suggest that we could do to help Griff out?  I think some no huddle would make sense, push tempo, allow him more time at the line to diagnose things pre-snap.  Whatever we do, I hope we do it quick.  Aldon Smith is back and looking for blood.

Not sure if you heard Cooley's film breakdown today. But basically at one point he said if I'm Jay Gruden I have zero clue what I can do and zero clue what I can prepare Robert based off last game. That was pretty scary.

At this point, I would do a carbon copy of his first game in this league against New Orleans.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I bet the teams that are going to study our film are going laugh their arses off.

I know the film is gross, but what would you guys suggest that we could do to help Griff out?

The dude needs to be stuck in a room somewhere watching every snap that Colt and Cousins took because he obviously has seen none of it. Then reminded as well than the Redskins actually WON 2 straight before his return.

On top of that he needs to be locked into a room watching 3-4 seasons worth of Rodgers and Manning just for bringing up their names and on each play Gruden can point out how those guys didn't run out of the pocket to get sacked with up to 5 receivers wide open down field.

Then after that RG3 should be holding the clipboard for Gruden for the rest of the year because he just doesn't get it and as simple as his game was I don't see how he is going to start getting it anytime soon. He doesn't even get it that he was by far the biggest problem on offense.

Calling out the ENTIRE ROSTER with condescending quotes such as "We all played bad" "Every guys got to look himself in the mirror and say that to himself" "right now we have no pro bowl players. we don't" "the lines not playing that way, the receivers are not playing that way, our backs aren't playing that way, our defense isn't playing that way, our special teams isn't playing that way and we all know that. coach has reiterated that many times and guys have to accept that"  etc. etc.

Those receivers were WIDE OPEN! D Jax and Garcon, Roberts, Reed, not a single receiver had a catchable ball thrown to them past 10 yards the entire game. With every single completed pass in the game being a Check Down Special. Defense gave up a whole 3 points in the first half as well. We get our 1 TD vs the end of the half prevent on a dump off that Helu took to the house.

Is it any wonder that Gruden went off on RG3 in that press release yesterday? I bet it's going to get UGLY from here on out if RG3 is starting because the players have to be totally pissed off.

First play of the 2nd quarter. Man coverage, single high safey.

Q21424routes.jpg

RG3 has to pick up on the fact that there will be one rusher unaccounted for since Helu is heading to flat. With one safety deep and 2 routes to occupy, he has to know that Roberts on the cross or Helu for the dump off are his best options.

Q21424blitz.jpg

Griffin feels the pressure on the right side but rather than throw it to Roberts who has his man beat inside, Helu for the check down in the flat which would have been a big gain, or even Reed on the post, he hesitates and takes the sack. 

Q21424CV.jpg

He had a clear throwing lane, can see Roberts had the inside, and knowing that pressure was coming this ball should have come out at the top of his drop. Instead it's a sack.

Q21424.jpg

First play of the 2nd quarter. Man coverage, single high safey.

Q21424routes.jpg

RG3 has to pick up on the fact that there will be one rusher unaccounted for since Helu is heading to flat. With one safety deep and 2 routes to occupy, he has to know that Roberts on the cross or Helu for the dump off are his best options.

Q21424blitz.jpg

Griffin feels the pressure on the right side but rather than throw it to Roberts who has his man beat inside, Helu for the check down in the flat which would have been a big gain, or even Reed on the post, he hesitates and takes the sack. 

Q21424CV.jpg

He had a clear throwing lane, can see Roberts had the inside, and knowing that pressure was coming this ball should have come out at the top of his drop. Instead it's a sack.

Q21424.jpg

He has to make a decision to throw the ball here, but he just can't pull the trigger.  He did this all day.  The only time I saw him drop back and throw the ball on time and in rhythm was on screen passes.    

qAd_ZC4N.gif

It's even worse with moving pictures.

Robert hesitates again. There is no reason for the pump fake.  His first option is Reed, but the blitzing corner is also Griffin's responsibility.  He should know that the corner just vacated a space and throw into that area.  Instead of throwing to his first option who may or may not have been open, throwing the ball into the void left by the corner, he hesitated again.  This happened all day.       

Archived