Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins 2014 MVP - Tress Way

Dan T.

Redskins punter Tress Way is currently leading the NFL in punting average at 53 yards per kick.  His 77 yard punt against the Giants is the longest in the NFL so far this year.  Despite shaky special teams, he's 7th in the NFL in net average at 43.1 yards.  He's taken over for Kai "Lightfoot" Forbath on kickoffs, and has 9 touchbacks in 18 kicks.

Tress Way is the Redskins' MVP for the first four games of 2014.  To me, he came out of nowhere and landed in our laps.  So who is Tress Way?

250px-Tress_Way_(15171046507).jpg

He's a 24 year old left footer who attended the University of Oklahoma., where he finished as the Sooners' all time leader in punt average at 44 yards per. He also did kickoffs and some place kicking at OSU.  He's 6'1" and 215 pounds.  He was born in Tulsa and went to Union High School there.  Here is the Union High School logo:
Union-Football-LOGO.jpg

Yes, the Washington Redskins are the second team named "Redskins" that Tress Way has played for.  Before every game he and his Union High School Redskins teammates would chant "All my life, I wanted to be a Redskin! Work, work, baby, work, work!” Then they would run out of a smoke-filled tepee and onto the field.  

Oh the irony.

He was signed out of college by the Chicago Bears as an UDFA in April 2013.  They kept veteran Adam Podlesh and waived Tress in August.  He was back in Bears camp in 2014, but they waived him again on August 18. (They kept Pat O'Donnell, a punter they spent a 6th round draft pick on.) The Redskins, to my eternal gratitude, snapped him up on August 20 to replace over-the-hill Sav Rocca.  He's been kicking the **** out of the ball ever since.

His brother Cole was a punter at Tulsa before signing with the Kansas City Royals system as a pitcher, even though he hadn't played baseball since high school.  BTW, brother Cole is 6'11", 235 pounds(!)  Tress is married to Brianna, a former softball and soccer player.  

Tress Way, Thunderfoot. Glad we got him.

1409614152000-USATSI-8051205.jpg

Yes Tress is one of the only bright spots so far in this young season. By the way his wife is smoking hot. How do I know this? Just look at his twitter page. Yes I follow about every Redskin on Twitter, even the punter.

Tress and Brianna:

IMG_4836.JPG

I really wanted to mount a serious argument against this, but sadly I could not. Don't get me wrong, I like the kid and am glad we have him. He is doing a great job. However, something is horribly wrong with your football team when the punter is the MVP! 

Yea, that type of MVP screams 'we suck'.

Maybe its just my past experiences, and not to offend her or Way in any way [ no pun intended ], but she appears, to me, to have a little 'psychotic look' in her eyes.  I know the look very well; my ex g/f had that very same look, and I believe caused her shrink to quit his job and started flipping burgers.

Note to Way; if her eye starts twitching, run like hell and don't look back.

Yea, that type of MVP screams 'we suck'.

Maybe its just my past experiences, and not to offend her or Way in any way [ no pun intended ], but she appears, to me, to have a little 'psychotic look' in her eyes.  I know the look very well; my ex g/f had that very same look, and I believe caused her shrink to quit his job and started flipping burgers.

Note to Way; if her eye starts twitching, run like hell and don't look back.

In the photo, you can't see the butcher's knife in her left hand.

Seriously, though, I don't see "the look" that you do. Maybe you're projecting. ;)

And it makes it even funnier that Bruce was driving in his convertible and saw Tress sitting at the bus stop waiting for his ride to the local Food Lion for his grocery bagging job, stopped and asked "Hey, need a job?" And now we have the best punter in the league.  :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tress Way averaged 45.3 yards on three punts Sunday in Minnesota.  His 51 yard punt came from deep in Redskins territory, helping avoid really bad field position.

He still leads the league with a 49.4 average.  Get this... if that average were to hold up through the season, he would have the 8th best single season punting average IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL.  Here are the all-time single season leaders:

1. Sammy Baugh 51.4 1940 WAS
2. Shane Lechler 51.1 2009 OAK
3. Andy Lee 50.9 2011 SFO
4. Shane Lechler 50.8 2011 OAK
5. Brandon Fields 50.2 2012 MIA
6. Thomas Morstead 50.1 2012 NOR
7. Donnie Jones 50.0 2008 STL
8. Tress Way 49.4 2014 WAS

His 77 yard punt earlier this season is still the longest so far in 2014.  His net average, dependent on his shaky coverage team,  ranks 7th in the league at 41.5.

At this point in the season, he deserves a Pro Bowl trip.

Archived