Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Kirk Cousins Open to Being Traded

Smurf85

I hate when people use this lazy argument or variations of it.  Sure, KC might not have taken as many sacks as RGIII did in those games he played and may not have been "running for his life".  But the O-line's incompetency manifested itself in other ways with KC at quarterback.  Namely, the fact that he threw 7 interceptions in 3 and a half games because he was trying to force throws given the limited time he had to get the ball out.  Extrapolated over a full season (16 games), that's 32 interceptions for the season.  That's 5 interceptions more than ELI MANNING had last season in what was one of the most pathetic seasons at QB I have seen for a long time, and mostly because of (you guessed it) his terrible offensive line.

So don't act like just because Cousins was sacked less than RGIII, that the O-line has somehow been vindicated and KC is somehow better at stepping up in the (non-existent) pocket than RGIII is.  The O-line's incompetency just manifested itself in different ways with two different QBs using two different styles of dealing with poor O-line play.

It's much more lazy to blame the offensive line for Griffin's issues last year then what it really was. To be honest the offensive line wasn't nearly as piss poor that you make it out to be. The problem with Griffin last year have been discussed in great length...he wasn't physically ready to play, he was recovering from an injury, he didn't have the threat to run, he had bad receiver play, he lost some playmakers, he played timid, and on and on and on. It's pointless to me to continue to dissect Griffin '13 year but some of you can't seem to leave that topic alone.

This is a topic about KC and his value. To me you might be the type of person to drive around with nothing but low rent liability insurance, or you might be like me who even though his cars are paid off likes the peace of mind having a low deductible full coverage insurance. That's the difference between a KC and a Colt McCoy. How much insurance do you want?

If you are a look on the bright side of things kinda guy and never expect the worse to ever happen to you and you want to save a buck or two then some sort of middle round draft pick and Colt McCoy sounds good to your ears. There are lots of people like this out there.

If your a realist and think hey it happened to them, why couldn't it happen to me? And want to be covered as much as you can then talk about 3rd, 4th, 5th or later draft picks for KC sounds like a load of cow spit. Griffin blew out a knee twice why would anyone actually think that it couldn't happen a 3rd time? IF chances are that could happen again then a quality starting QB backing him up at all times no matter this year, next year, or 5 years from now is a must for you.

I get that some people just have the hardest time with this concept but it's really simple. If you believe that there is no chance that you will ever see Griffin blowup another knee then there is no reason to believe that a quality guy like Cousins is needed ever and this team should move him and take whatever they can get while they can. If on the other hand you believe that lightening can strike three times then letting KC go for anything less then a 2nd round can't miss pick is the only answer. That's where I fall. Every man has a price, but the peace of mind that I have right now knowing that should the worst happen to the Redskins that they still have KC can't be lost cheap. I would rather have that peace of mind for the next two seasons then let him go for nothing then to let him go early and potentially screw this team for the next 4 years.

It's much more lazy to blame the offensive line for Griffin's issues last year then what it really was. To be honest the offensive line wasn't nearly as piss poor that you make it out to be. The problem with Griffin last year have been discussed in great length...he wasn't physically ready to play, he was recovering from an injury, he didn't have the threat to run, he had bad receiver play, he lost some playmakers, he played timid, and on and on and on. It's pointless to me to continue to dissect Griffin '13 year but some of you can't seem to leave that topic alone.

When did I say the offensive line was the sole reason for Griffin's struggles last year?  I was responding to your post, in which you were implying that the O-line looked much better with Cousins playing QB, which just wasn't the case.

As for the rest of your post:  The question you have to ask yourself is "If RGIII goes down for the season, do you believe Kirk Cousins can lead this team to a Superbowl this year?"  I'm sorry to say, but my answer is a resounding NO.  If he can't do that, why would we not entertain offers of a 3rd round pick to get a player like Jordan Reed who CAN contribute to our chances of winning the Superbowl either this year or in the future?

If the coaches and GM are smart, and I believe they are, they can see that the only way we're getting to the SB over SF, SEA, NO etc. is if RGIII is leading the team at QB.  If RGIII goes down, we might be hovering around .500 with Cousins, but that's probably our ceiling.  Why would we pass on picking up a good player in a deep 3rd round for the chance to be .500?

And the reason Cousins was not starting in week one and did not really play in the preseason was because he was ... fishing ?, dining out ?, otherwise occupied ? Oh no it was because he was hurt. Any QB can get hurt it is not RGIII alone who can get hurt...

And I am sorry but the same offensive line arguement would only stack up if we were calling the same offensive plays and the play calling definatly changed between RGIII and Cousins. Right now Cousins is no more familiar with the play book than Colt McCoy.

The point is if Cousins had no trade value then fine keep him, he is a valuble back up, but if the Browns for example might be looking at offering up a 3rd or 4th for him we would be dumb not to take it. The only reason the Browns may be tempted down that road is if they think they can get a young QB who their OC has some rapor.

I don't think there is another back up on the team i that you would get that type of value from. You would not get anything from Hankerson trade especially comming off injury.

Of course there is the other option. If Cousins is better than RGIII then trade RGIII and let Cousins start.

After giving up 3 first round picks and a 2nd round pick to get Griffin there is absolutely no way in hell that would ever happen even if KC was the better player unless the guy was a Ryan Leaf kind of failure. And yes I know they got back one number one draft pick for those picks...point is you don't do that unless you know for certain the guy is garbage. Now I'm not saying that KC is better then Griffin, I don't think he is but that doesn't mean I think that won't ever happen someday. Fact is this team has made its bed with Griffin and should see that experiment through no matter what, hell or high water. However the expectation has to be understood...What does the team need to know for certain? The strongest most meaningful question out there today is What type of QB will Griffin be in this league?

I can't help but to see the scoreboard like this with Griffin....1 Good season and 1 Bad season. It's 1 to 1 in my eyes. Anyone really saying otherwise in my opinion is fooling themselves. If this was any other team the questions you would have about Griffin would be endless. It's the Redskins and we are the extreme fans so this gets lost. Excuses simply do not erase an entirely bad season. It was a bad season for Griffin and while you can come up with 100 reasons why it was, it was. 

So what Griffin shows up the next 2 years? The good Griffin or the bad Griffin? I hope that the good Griffin is what this team gets. That's the reason they gave up so many picks to get him here. I hope they are right and I hope that he starts the next 8 seasons every game here and wins them all. But hope in one hand and spit in the other right? However you slice it today the score card is still 1 to 1. So with the question unanswered hanging over this man how could this team or anyone abandon the insurance plan so soon without a definite answer?

When did I say the offensive line was the sole reason for Griffin's struggles last year?  I was responding to your post, in which you were implying that the O-line looked much better with Cousins playing QB, which just wasn't the case.

As for the rest of your post:  The question you have to ask yourself is "If RGIII goes down for the season, do you believe Kirk Cousins can lead this team to a Superbowl this year?"  I'm sorry to say, but my answer is a resounding NO.  If he can't do that, why would we not entertain offers of a 3rd round pick to get a player like Jordan Reed who CAN contribute to our chances of winning the Superbowl either this year or in the future?

Explain to me since you insist on getting off topic how you can even say that the Oline wasn't playing better with KC under center? In case you missed it in the first two games he started of the three he was sacked only one time between them. One sack in two starts. You can't put those INT's on the Oline unless your watching every play and can see that the rush was why he threw them. I don't see how you can say that the Oline played worse with KC then Griffin so please enlighten me.

As for your question, it happened to make me laugh. Would anyone have thought that in September 2012 that a barely known guy named Colin Kaepernick would be taking his team to the Superbowl that year? Or here's a more recent one...In September of 2013 would anyone have known that a bad looking rookie QB the year before would have gone on to replace the starter and have one of the best TD to INT seasons of all time? Oh here's another one...who would have guessed that Russell Wilson would be the QB from the 2012 draft to win a Superbowl first? Did anyone think that Joe Flacco would have led his team not only to the Superbowl but a playoff win in each of his first 5 NFL seasons after he was drafted in 2008? So many times people are just proven wrong when making these types of guesses. Point is that if you think you know, you don't really know.

Explain to me since you insist on getting off topic how you can even say that the Oline wasn't playing better with KC under center? In case you missed it in the first two games he started of the three he was sacked only one time between them. One sack in two starts. You can't put those INT's on the Oline unless your watching every play and can see that the rush was why he threw them. I don't see how you can say that the Oline played worse with KC then Griffin so please enlighten me.

As for your question, it happened to make me laugh. Would anyone have thought that in September 2012 that a barely known guy named Colin Kaepernick would be taking his team to the Superbowl that year? Or here's a more recent one...In September of 2013 would anyone have known that a bad looking rookie QB the year before would have gone on to replace the starter and have one of the best TD to INT seasons of all time? Oh here's another one...who would have guessed that Russell Wilson would be the QB from the 2012 draft to win a Superbowl first? Did anyone think that Joe Flacco would have led his team not only to the Superbowl but a playoff win in each of his first 5 NFL seasons after he was drafted in 2008? So many times people are just proven wrong when making these types of guesses. Point is that if you think you know, you don't really know.

Are you serious?  There is a difference between QBs playing with all-time great defenses and the situation we would be in with KC.  Those other QBs (except for Flacco, who was a 5 year vet before he won) have not had to elevate the team around them like Kirk would have to do if we want to go deep in the playoffs.  Do you see us having an all-time great defense any time soon?  Didn't think so. 

As to your first point, I watched the games, and most of Cousins' mistakes, whether it was interceptions or fumbles came from making the wrong decisions under pressure.  And Cousins was actually sacked 4 times in the last 3 games of the season, so I don't even know where this notion of him never getting sacked comes from.

Hank, I appreciate your effort to stick to realism as well as your penchant for analogies.

What I never, ever, EVER think is good form is comparing quarterbacks on completely different teams.  That's just silly.  The quarterback isn't the only player, and if you didn't think that Baltimore was a perrenial contender, then I don't know what to tell you.  If you can't recognize Seattle's defense, then it's the same.thing.  I don't know what the hell to tell you about Foles, though.  Here's hoping he's a one-year wonder.

I also don't get your defense of the offensive line.  They're god awful.  Polumbus is a failure every single game, including 2012.  Montgomery was just abused this year, and with no help on either side, anyone at RG would be screwed.

I think that you make a very strong effort to be objective, and I appreciate that, but sometimes it can seem that you're disregarding facts and emphasizing others, and that's not what you're about.  Keep it up though, I enjoy reading your opinions even if I don't agree. :)

Trade him to Cleveland for one of their 3rd round picks then draft Shayne Skov who could start at middle linebacker day one and become the future defensive quarterback.

Have to think more long term. Cousins won't start as long as RG3 can limp onto the field. After this year Cousins value starts going down and then he can walk.

A starting middle linebacker now with good future potential.....or a bench warming quarterback security blanket?

Trade him. To Cleveland. Because I would personally like to see what Cousins can do when given a chance. Too nice of a guy to ruin his career

I heard their GM on NFL Insiders today saying they don't expect a rookie QB to come in right away and perform at a high level.  If Shanny believes in Cousins, they should expect him to come in and perform in his offense better than a rookie could.  If Cleveland is smart they'd go Watkins at 4, OL at 26, defense in the 2nd, and trade their 3rd for Cousins.

Umm that same offensive line was there when KC was starting, didn't see the same mechanic issues when he was in that plagued Griffin in '13. Was KC running for his life too? I didn't see that. Also let me ask you a few questions, seems asking someone on both sides of this issue can be helped by asking questions...even if the team was to draft an offensive linemen with that KC pick do you know

1. They will be any good? Our recent history says otherwise

2. That the addition will mean that Griffin doesn't sustain another injury? Seems highly unlikely to me and injury issues with Griffin will be there the rest of his career, they won't just disappear even with 5 new offensive linemen.

And last one for you.

Should the absolute worst possible thing happen and Griffin were to tear up his knee again, what then? Who takes over, did we just lose the entire next two seasons because they gave up KC too soon and Griffin isn't the future and now find themselves looking again to picking up another QB and possibly spend hugely again to get that new guy when that QB in waiting would have been on the team already?

Curious to know what you think of this as it's at the root of my cheerleading for KC to remain on this team.

So we couldn't get one at the 34th pick in the draft?

Yea, you're right, why are we even trying? We should just trade all our draft picks because there's no chance that we'll roll the dice in the 3rd round and hit and get a Jordan Reed or in the 6th round and hit and get an Alfred Morris or hit in the 4th and get a Perry Riley or hit in the 2nd and get a David Amerson? That's not possible because terrible teams stay terrible forever..............

Yea you're right we'll always be losers so why don't we just keep Kirk Cousins and not take the draft picks to attempt to improve the roste? even though Kirk Cousins started 3 games for us and lost all 3 looking absolutely HORRIBLE in the Giants game....... 

RGIII won't have to run if we give him talent, he's been running trying to make things happen because the talent he had sucked.Again did you watch the San Fran game? Did you see how the offensive line was abused? Did you watch how the Eagles horrible defense destroyed our offensive line?

On your last point, so lets say RGIII doesn't get hurt and Kirk Cousins sits on the bench getting splinters in his butt? Then we kept Kirk on the roster for no reason? Stop being paranoid that RGIII is going to get hurt, we need to build a team around RGIII so he can actually win. Do you think he wants to stay in Washington if we continue to get 3-13 seasons? When other franchises like the colts/seattle/san fran are willing to build around their star QB.  

People automatically assume RGIII is going to want to be a redskin forever. Champ Bailey also demanded a trade because we were not focused on winning and he was sick of it. We need to start winning or this kid will go to a franchise who wants to win and he'll make us pay. 

Are you serious? There is a difference between QBs playing with all-time great defenses and the situation we would be in with KC. Those other QBs (except for Flacco, who was a 5 year vet before he won) have not had to elevate the team around them like Kirk would have to do if we want to go deep in the playoffs. Do you see us having an all-time great defense any time soon? Didn't think so.

As to your first point, I watched the games, and most of Cousins' mistakes, whether it was interceptions or fumbles came from making the wrong decisions under pressure. And Cousins was actually sacked 4 times in the last 3 games of the season, so I don't even know where this notion of him never getting sacked comes from.

Two things, first the Eagles did not have an all time great defense last year. Second I mentioned his sacks the first two games and intentionally left out that rain soaked mess in NY as everyone was affected by the weather that game

Two things, first the Eagles did not have an all time great defense last year. Second I mentioned his sacks the first two games and intentionally left out that rain soaked mess in NY as everyone was affected by the weather that game

It's nice to leave it out because it doesn't suit your argument, but the weather is not a good enough reason to leave out the fact he was sacked 3 times.  I could see if the game was as bad as the Philly-Detroit game in the snow, but the weather conditions in the NYG-Wash game wasn't even close to bad enough to toss out statistics like they never happened.  Hell, it wasn't even close to the conditions in the Wash-Kansas City game. 

Also, if we include just the two games against the Cowboys and Atlanta, you're including two teams who are desperately looking for a D-lineman in the first round this year.  Not exactly a fair comparison when we're comparing his sacks to the D-lines RGIII faced like the Niners, Lions, Vikings and Broncos.  The only D-lineman worth a damn between the Falcons and Cowboys last year was Jason Hatcher.

And I didn't include Foles because he hasn't won anything of significance like those other guys.  Flacco won a SB, Wilson won an SB, Kaep has been to an SB and 2 NFC Championship Games.  If Foles was on those teams, he likely would have accomplished just as much as those guys.  Maybe Kirk would have too.  That's not the point.  The point is Kirk wouldn't have the defense to carry him to a championship like those other guys if RGIII goes down.

OK, lets play the scenario out.

Cousins gets traded, and we use that pick and snag a TE or RB.

The kid does well; very well.

Then its the same thing all over again; " hey, lets trade him for a draft pick" " we already have Morris/Reed ". We need draft picks, we need to trade him asap.

Going by that logic, the FO and coaches should start every single 3rd-5th draft pick, practice squad guys, so they can protect the actual starters from being injured.  Why bother playing the game at all?

Every player who walks on the field risks being injured, short term or long term; its the nature of the game, the physical pounding they take on a daily basis eventually wears a player down. Even, especially at the QB position; Griffin has a target on his back; you know it and I know it. Every defensive player wants to light him up. 2013 was butt ugly, and against the 9ers, the nut shot Griffin took should give you an idea of how he will be treated on field.

If the Redskins want to bother with trying to get to the playoffs, much less a Superbowl, they need to have back-ups or players to spot others for a down or 2 to give them a rest; the QB position is different in that aspect, but the risk of injury is glaring, and if they're in contention for the division, and Griffin goes down, would you want some rookie QB who isn't familiar with the players or would you want someone who the team knows and has some experience in stepping in?

I get the draft pick thing, but at this juncture its just too early to do it; Cousins is much more valuable now on the team as insurance than trading away for an unknown draft pick who may or may not even make the team.

OK, lets play the scenario out.

Cousins gets traded, and we use that pick and snag a TE or RB.

The kid does well; very well.

Then its the same thing all over again; " hey, lets trade him for a draft pick" " we already have Morris/Reed ". We need draft picks, we need to trade him asap.

Going by that logic, the FO and coaches should start every single 3rd-5th draft pick, practice squad guys, so they can protect the actual starters from being injured.  Why bother playing the game at all?

You do know that more than one TE can be in the game at once, right?  Same with RB.  QB is the only position where trading players for a draft pick makes sense unless an RB, TE, or another position just doesn't fit into your system.

if they're in contention for the division, and Griffin goes down, would you want some rookie QB who isn't familiar with the players or would you want someone who the team knows and has some experience in stepping in?

Well, in 2012 we were in contention, Griff (a rookie) went down, and Cousins (another rookie) helped out. Would you say that Cousins was unfamiliar with the team when he played the Browns game? By your logic Grossman should have started behind RG3.

Obviously experience is good, but when it comes to Kirk, I'm not so certain he is vastly better than some rookie we sign. If Griffin goes down, our chances fall off a cliff, regardless of who steps in (a fact true for nearly every team). If we were able to get a third round pick for him -- a situation I highly doubt arises -- then I'd say we go for it.

To be honest I don't really see all that much of a drop off between Cousins and McCoy. McCoy isn't all that good of a QB, he is pretty mediocre. However, Cousins really hasn't shown me anything at this point for me to consider him anything other than mediocre as well. Now I'm certainly not saying he can't or won't become a good QB, but at this point he hasn't shown it. 

As HTTRDynasty said: "If RGIII goes down for the season, do you believe Kirk Cousins can lead this team to a Superbowl this year?". I agree with his answer: I don't believe so, no. So if RG3 goes down, I don't think we're going all the way with whatever backup we have. That being said, if you do good scouting and can nab a good player with a 3rd round pick you get for Cousins then why not? I'd rather have a potential starting ILB or RT, RG than a guy who isn't even playing, but if he did it probably wouldn't really matter that much.

As HTTRDynasty said: "If RGIII goes down for the season, do you believe Kirk Cousins can lead this team to a Superbowl this year?". I agree with his answer: I don't believe so, no. So if RG3 goes down, I don't think we're going all the way with whatever backup we have.

1.  are you saying you believe RG3 can lead this team to a super bowl this year?  because if not then you're setting a higher bar for cousins than for griffin.

2.  how many teams in the league have superbowl-calibre backup quarterbacks?

seems like an insanely high bar for a backup quarterback.

Hank, I appreciate your effort to stick to realism as well as your penchant for analogies.

What I never, ever, EVER think is good form is comparing quarterbacks on completely different teams.  That's just silly.  The quarterback isn't the only player, and if you didn't think that Baltimore was a perrenial contender, then I don't know what to tell you.  If you can't recognize Seattle's defense, then it's the same.thing.  I don't know what the hell to tell you about Foles, though.  Here's hoping he's a one-year wonder.

I also don't get your defense of the offensive line.  They're god awful.  Polumbus is a failure every single game, including 2012.  Montgomery was just abused this year, and with no help on either side, anyone at RG would be screwed.

I think that you make a very strong effort to be objective, and I appreciate that, but sometimes it can seem that you're disregarding facts and emphasizing others, and that's not what you're about.  Keep it up though, I enjoy reading your opinions even if I don't agree. :)

Thank you for the kind words I appreciate them.

The reason I mentioned other QB's here is that there is one side of this issue that seems to think that KC isn't ever going to wind up producing anything of value in this league and I can't help but see the many recent examples of exactly that...QB's not thought of to do anything in the NFL who have gone on to have unexpected success. I mention those surprising players because it helps to keep a firm reality grasp on what we think we know...and what is reality.

I am a possibilities kinda guy, I see a possibility and think what are the chances of it happening? When the Redskins smashed and I mean smashed Foles twice in '12 I thought the possibility existed he could go on to have a good career was still there, but the chances of it happening to be extremely extremely small and like everyone else I was wrong about that. Joe Flacco winning a playoff game every year he was in the league until he won the Superbowl wasn't only about his defense, this really isn't 2001, but the chances that he was able to do that would have been extremely small as no other QB had ever done that in the history of the Superbowl league (Otto Graham went to the Championship game every single year he was in the league but that was a different time).

Again the possibility was there for Flacco but the chances were highly unlikely. Russell Wilson joined a Seahawks team who had just plunked down 20 million bucks for it's new starting QB and he was a surprising 3rd round pick that most fans were not happy with at the time. He came from the "best QB class" we were told in decades and won the Superbowl his second season in the league. Regardless of his Defense the chances of that happening and any one predicting it is small beyond small. No one thought that was going to happen

I say this to those who believe that KC won't ever amount to a good QB in this league to look at the numerous examples of players recently defying the odds and bucking the common thought of the day and remember that when the possibility exists there is always a chance. I never got into into comparing skill sets, I was strictly speaking about how in recent days there are tons of examples of QB's surprising. And I look at things like Cousin's starting 4 total games in his career and how 2 of those were passing for over 300 yards and think the chances of him being a good starting QB in this league pretty high

As for the offensive line performance with Griffin or Cousins in the game I believe that sacks are usually caused by

1. Offensive players missing blocking assignments

2. Coverage being such that there is no where to go with the ball

3. The QB holding onto the ball too long

4. General mistakes and errors

The game before Griffin was sat down for KC he had 6 sacks on him against the Chiefs. In the game before that one he had 5 sacks on him against the Giants. The game before that he had 6 sacks against him against the 49ers. The last three games he played in '13 he was sacked 17 times. In the next two games against much weaker opponents the team gave up a single sack. Some of that has to be on Griffin and Cousins.  I'm not saying that the O line is any good, I just believe that different QB's bring different things to the table when they play and that can cause for an increase, or a decrease in sacks. And the Giants game was a rain soaked mess, unlike anything this team has had to play in for years and years and I throw that out.

To be honest I don't really see all that much of a drop off between Cousins and McCoy. McCoy isn't all that good of a QB, he is pretty mediocre. However, Cousins really hasn't shown me anything at this point for me to consider him anything other than mediocre as well. Now I'm certainly not saying he can't or won't become a good QB, but at this point he hasn't shown it. 

As HTTRDynasty said: "If RGIII goes down for the season, do you believe Kirk Cousins can lead this team to a Superbowl this year?". I agree with his answer: I don't believe so, no. So if RG3 goes down, I don't think we're going all the way with whatever backup we have. That being said, if you do good scouting and can nab a good player with a 3rd round pick you get for Cousins then why not? I'd rather have a potential starting ILB or RT, RG than a guy who isn't even playing, but if he did it probably wouldn't really matter that much.

Pretty sad to me that you can't see any value in KC when he's done things that Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and so many Hall of Fame QB's never did in just 4 starts in the league. I'm really unsure what more you want from a guy who's started 4 games

300 yard passing - Check (2ce in 4 starts)

3 TD passes in a game - Check

Limits getting hit and sacked - Check

Produces with his playmakers - Check (Garcon's best game in DC have come with KC not Griff)

Season high QB passing yards - Check

Late game comeback victory - Check

High scoring offense - Check (Has lead the team to offensive scores of 23, 26, and 38 points)

Keeps his team in the game - Check (2 of his losses have come by 1 point each)

I can grasp people saying don't make a big deal about limited stats like these, but for some people to outright ignore them confuses me. What exactly would you have wanted to see in 4 starts to not see him as mediocre? I know that's a retorical question and the answer is likely he would have had to win those games he started this year but go down that rabbit hole and see what your really asking

If KC had won the last three games of the year...

More people demanding he be the starter over Griffin

Worse draft position

And since those games were against bad teams - Falcons, Cowboys, Giants - I bet people who don't like KC would have just used that as an excuse to discredit what he did. The best thing that KC could have done he did - He looked like a starting NFL QB and at the same time his team lost meaningless games.

1.  are you saying you believe RG3 can lead this team to a super bowl this year?  because if not then you're setting a higher bar for cousins than for griffin.

2.  how many teams in the league have superbowl-calibre backup quarterbacks?

seems like an insanely high bar for a backup quarterback.

The point is that Griffin gives us a MUCH better chance to win the SB than Cousins does.  And if Griffin gets hurt, and Cousins comes in, whatever SB chances we had pretty much go down the drain.  Our team is not constructed like teams such as the 49ers and Seahawks, who mostly rely on their elite defenses to get them to a SB.  This team's chances to get there largely rest on the shoulders of the offense, and Griffin is the biggest part of that. 

It comes down to this.  Do you want to increase your chances of winning a Superbowl?  Or do you want to increase your chances of remaining relevant if Griffin goes down?

If you're more in the camp of increasing our chances to win a SB, then you should have no problem trading Cousins away to draft a player that could have an equal or greater impact on either offense or defense that Jordan Reed had last year.  If you're more in the camp of staying relevant and staying at around .500 if Griffin goes down, then keeping Cousins is more attractive to you.

I don't care about being relevant.  I care about winning Superbowls.

Pretty sad to me that you can't see any value in KC when he's done things that Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and so many Hall of Fame QB's never did in just 4 starts in the league. I'm really unsure what more you want from a guy who's started 4 games

300 yard passing - Check (2ce in 4 starts)

3 TD passes in a game - Check

Limits getting hit and sacked - Check

Produces with his playmakers - Check (Garcon's best game in DC have come with KC not Griff)

Season high QB passing yards - Check

Late game comeback victory - Check

High scoring offense - Check (Has lead the team to offensive scores of 23, 26, and 38 points)

Keeps his team in the game - Check (2 of his losses have come by 1 point each)

I can grasp people saying don't make a big deal about limited stats like these, but for some people to outright ignore them confuses me. What exactly would you have wanted to see in 4 starts to not see him as mediocre? I know that's a retorical question and the answer is likely he would have had to win those games he started this year but go down that rabbit hole and see what your really asking

If KC had won the last three games of the year...

More people demanding he be the starter over Griffin

Worse draft position

And since those games were against bad teams - Falcons, Cowboys, Giants - I bet people who don't like KC would have just used that as an excuse to discredit what he did. The best thing that KC could have done he did - He looked like a starting NFL QB and at the same time his team lost meaningless games.

holy crap. That's one crazy reach. Are you saying KC is on the level of them or better than Griff? I don't get it.

Archived