Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brandon Meriweather- Suspension Looming?

Yeen80

We've already got Brandon Marshall whining about it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-chicago-bears-brandon-meriweather-20131020,0,5875030.story

I actually do think he runs the risk of getting a 1 game ban....not exactly what we need in Denver following Reed's conussion. When is this guy going to learn?

I will say, he's the closest thing we've had to Sean Taylor back there, with about 1/2 the skills

1merriweather1.gif

2merriweather2.gif

The hit on Jeffery will probably be a fine. The hit on Marshall is just whining on his part, he hit him with a shoulder.

I have been in the minority, and I will continue to be in the minority when it comes to BMeriweather. I think he gets another fine, but I have no problem with the way he hits. I'm glad to have somebody back there willing to bring the wood.

The hit on Jeffery will probably be a fine. The hit on Marshall is just whining on his part, he hit him with a shoulder.

I have been in the minority, and I will continue to be in the minority when it comes to BMeriweather. I think he gets another fine, but I have no problem with the way he hits. I'm glad to have somebody back there willing to bring the wood.

I agree. Hit #1 on Jeffrey was a definite late hit. I didnt agree with the Marshall hit in the end zone. I think Marshall was just upset he got his bell rung

Personally im so sick of the "defenseless receiver" interpretation. Put some damn flags on em already. A db's #1 job is to seperate the receiver from the ball, its damn near impossible w all the rules and judgement calls by refs

As long as the rules prohibit certain hits, our players need to be smart enough to honor those rules. I'm actually a little disappointed that there has been no internal repercussions. Of not for the safety aspect, then at least for the selfishness of taking penalties.

I don't care if he is the best safety on the team, he needs to be gone. He's dirty and a danger to himself and other players and we don't need that crap.

I have to agree with you. If he was on any other team, I would hate how dirty he is. Next year, we really need to get a good fast, strong-tackling free safety from our first pick.

As long as the rules prohibit certain hits, our players need to be smart enough to honor those rules. I'm actually a little disappointed that there has been no internal repercussions. Of not for the safety aspect, then at least for the selfishness of taking penalties.

I like the he's physical but he hurts the team when he ignores the rules.

For every big hit he has he misses 5 other tackles.  Give me a safety who knows how to wrap up and can cover.  Merriweather can do neither.

I see here and I saw in the game thread a lot of comments like "he lead with his shoulder". My understanding of the rules is that any hit to the head, be it with a shoulder or other body part, is prohibited on a defenseless receiver. Likewise "lead with" is meaningless in that it does not matter what hits first, only that the helmet is hit. Essentially if he contacts the shoulder before hitting the receivers facemask with his own helmet, it's still a flag.

Am I wrong?

Edit: I want to point out that I hate the "defenseless receiver" rules because receivers duck their heads and I can't see how the heck a defender coming at full speed can be expected to anticipate and avoid that.

Edit: I want to point out that I hate the "defenseless receiver" rules because receivers duck their heads and I can't see how the heck a defender coming at full speed can be expected to anticipate and avoid that.

Basically Any good hard hit to the chest area is gonna cause helmet to helmet contact as the impact causes the wr's head to whip downward

I remember when we used to cheer when a defensive player made a solid hit......now we are upset about 15 yards. I think this is more because we know our team may not be good enough to overcome the penalty.

“The last two, three weeks, I tried everything possible,” Meriweather said after the game. “I lowered my target. As y’all could see, I lowered my target. I stopped using my head. I’m using my shoulder. No matter what I do, honestly I feel like I’m gonna be in the wrong. If I hit you with my shoulder and I slide up, they’re gonna say it’s head to head. If I hit them too low, I think somebody just got flagged for hitting somebody too low. So I think it all depends on who’s watching. I don’t think we can be right.”

Meriweather addressed his hits Sunday and his interactions with the league at length with reporters.

“I don’t know,” he said. “I think that’s a rule based on who’s watching. One ref said it was good. One ref said it was bad. I think it’s gonna be just like that with the NFL. I think one person will look at it in slow motion and say, ‘He could have did this. He could have did that.’ One person will be like, ‘Look, man, going full speed you have no time to think about that and it’s a good hit.’ So I think it all depends on who’s watching.”

Meriweather said repeatedly he does not believe he is being unfairly singled out by the league.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/10/20/meriweather-likely-faces-suspension-or-hefty-fine-after-two-penalties-sunday-for-illegal-hits/

The shot on Marshall is not even a penalty 2 years ago.

If you hit a man in the chest, your head is going to make contact with part of his helmet.. it's almost impossible to not have it happen.

If you duck even further, you run a serious risk of injuring your own spine and neck when contact occurs. See what you hit. It's taught from day one, and it's taught to prevent major spinal injuries.
(I think on the Orakpo personal foul on the QB,, the color guy called it "Facemask in the chest, and that will draw the flag"..   and that is exactly how every one of these players has been taught to hit to protect themselves.

He hit Marshall in the chest with his forearms and shoulder, and Marshall ducked his own head into the blow while he was already sliding down to begin with.

Clean hit.

Clean hit that draws a flag. (they do these days.)

Clean hits have always drawn fines.. the NFL really doesn't like hitting.

A suspension for the hit on Marshall would be completely unwarranted, but that is not to say it won't happen, because if the NFL had their way, NO defensive players would be on the field.

i really liked the officiating yesterday,, I thought the crew did an excellent job of calling the game without getting in the way.

It is practically impossible to actually play football and be within the rules these days. On any given play, the refs are presented with judgment calls that they can make on a variety of things.. many of which are penalties devised within the last five years.

they are killing the game, and frankly,,    the fact this thread even exists to discuss a suspension for what was so recently known as 'good football'.. the fact that some of you are saying "YES", and "HE SHOULD BE"..    it just drives home the fact that this game is being legislated to death, and before long it will not actually be football anymore.

~Bang

Archived