Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CONCACAF 2014 World Cup Qualification - Play resumes Sept 6!

renaissance

Some of the guys from Germany now, have never lived in the US or have very little geographical ties to the US. I don't think any of them think of themselves as American—it's just a way to play in the World Cup. Najar prob won't see as much success with Honduras as he would've with the US.

Those German guys were also courted by US Soccer. Andy never was to my knowledge. He also did not have a direct path to citizenship. So at the time he was making the decision he had no major interest fro US Soccer and it could have been a while before he was even eligible to play for us.

Way to grind out a big win last night!!!!

I have to admit, though, half of me really wanted Andy to score on that breakaway. 

Just FYI, I won't be around to update the OP for the September games, but hopefully I can get boysetsfire to take care of it for me. I'll be back in October when qualifying wraps up :)

Not me. If he doesn't want to play for the USNMT, then I hope he never plays in a World Cup. Could you imagine how much better we would be if he was running down the wing instead of Eddie Johnson? I'm still bitter...

I don't see why anyone would be bitter about him though. There was never any chance he was going to choose the US over Honduras. He didn't move here until he was 13 and he was never a US citizen.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have seen him in a US jersey, but it was never going to happen.

Not necessarily true.  US will definitely speed up citizenship for these kind of things.  Plus he's open to pick any country while in the youth system.  There are one time switch rules too.  I know Alonso is trying to switch to the US since Cuba scared him out of the country.  I didn't Najar would pick us though.  I won't ever root for a opposing player scoring on us no matter the connection though.  My country first.  If Honduras does well great. If not I won't lose sleep.  Especially after some really annoying flopping by Honduras last night.

Way to grind out a big win last night!!!!

I have to admit, though, half of me really wanted Andy to score on that breakaway. 

Just FYI, I won't be around to update the OP for the September games, but hopefully I can get boysetsfire to take care of it for me. I'll be back in October when qualifying wraps up :)

Not me. If he doesn't want to play for the USNMT, then I hope he never plays in a World Cup. Could you imagine how much better we would be if he was running down the wing instead of Eddie Johnson? I'm still bitter...

I don't see why anyone would be bitter about him though. There was never any chance he was going to choose the US over Honduras. He didn't move here until he was 13 and he was never a US citizen.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have seen him in a US jersey, but it was never going to happen.

Not necessarily true.  US will definitely speed up citizenship for these kind of things.  Plus he's open to pick any country while in the youth system.  There are one time switch rules too.  I know Alonso is trying to switch to the US since Cuba scared him out of the country.  I didn't Najar would pick us though.  I won't ever root for a opposing player scoring on us no matter the connection though.  My country first.  If Honduras does well great. If not I won't lose sleep.  Especially after some really annoying flopping by Honduras last night.

I thought he had a choice to play for the USMNT or Honduras. The catch was that he had to wait a year before he could be capped, while he could play for Honduras immediately. I understand his decision, but don't like it. I want the US to have the best team possible. He would definitely make the team better.

Not sure what the truth is, but a year is not a long time to wait. I'm not sure he's an outright starter on the USMNT right now, he's up there def but the undisputed starter? 

Well, US Soccer has been known to let talent slip through their hands by playing it too cool. If, in your heart, you're Honduran through and through, what can be done? 

Well the good thing is we're getting better at keeping talent.  Like I mentioned Aaron Johansson seemed to be going to Iceland but we refused a call up and said he wants to practice with us before the decision.  If we get him into practice its a done deal. Jozy plays alongside him at his club.  Corona was one on the fence between Mexico and US before we cap tied him.  Unfortunately we still can't lure ones who are eligible for big time soccer countries and us.  There's talented Brazilians with dual citizenship but we just can't lure them here.  There was a player mentioned a few months back who as a upcoming prospect(very talented) but we have a very little chance of luring him here from Brazil sadly.

• 2 weeks later...

It was a true beat down.  Holden looked good. Beckerman still isn't looking confident on offense.  Donovan looked good especially the volley goal (The PK was kind of weak but it worked). Gomez looked good, Wondo got his first goal,  Shea did well but I think he needs to consider getting out of stoke,  Corona still getting himself together,  Beasley looked good as ever. Diskerud had some impressive shots on goal (some dipping shots and such).

• 4 weeks later...

Now that Johannsson has chosen to play for the US, I bet we see him next month in the Bosnia friendly (if his paperworks is complete by then) and probably on the bench for the CR and MX games.  Late sub, cap tie him and get him ready for Brazil.

He goes to the head of the Fs class ahead of everyone not named Jozy.  (And Dempsey if you consider him a F)

Now that Johannsson has chosen to play for the US, I bet we see him next month in the Bosnia friendly (if his paperworks is complete by then) and probably on the bench for the CR and MX games.  Late sub, cap tie him and get him ready for Brazil.

He goes to the head of the Fs class ahead of everyone not named Jozy.  (And Dempsey if you consider him a F)

Definitely think he gets in to campy quickly and gets on the squad. I am not too worried about cap tying him at this point because he is filing the one time switch paperwork. Just as good as capping him in a official game.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump:

I was impressed with Brooks's physicality and Johannsson's touch. I think Jones had a terrible game and may lose his position on the team. I am impressed with Jozy. He was great today. If he continues to improve, they make actually make some noise at World Cup. I have always complained about him being lazy, I'm so glad to proven wrong...

Hell of a thing to fight back from 2-0 with a hostile 25,000 sell out stadium all over you. Not to mention #13 in the world.  Putting 4 unanswered goals away is  stunning thing on the road in that situation.  Jozy is on fire and Johannsson is everything we hoped so far.  Eddie needs to find consistency.  He can't be making dumb mistakes even if he scored today(which was a gift)..  Jones was baaad.  Brooks learned a few lesson about when you fall asleep on great attackers.  

• 2 weeks later...

It's hard to believe, but it appears that Omar Gonzales has lost his starting spot.  I had him inked into the starting 11 for the next 6 years.

And wait, we have another "foreign born" American CB whose name escapes me right now, that will be in the rotation soon.

I want to see this-

Howard

Evans Brooks Besler Johnson

Donovan Bradley Mix Dempsey

Jozy Aron

But I bet we see-

Howard

Evans Brooks Besler Beasley

Donovan Bradley Jones F Johnson

Dempsey

Jozy

Archived