Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins AT Eagles History, Anecdotes, and Fan Memories

kleese

Just like with the other threads involving our division opponents, this ONLY applies to games played AT Philadelphia starting in 1937. Bolded text is info updated from last year's thread.

--Redskins are 37-37-3 all time at Philadelphia in the regular season

--Redskins are 1-0 all time at Philadelphia in the playoffs

--Redskins were 16-17 all time at Veterans Stadium

--Redskins are 5-6 all time at Lincoln Fianancial Field

--Redskins longest winning streak in Philadelphia is 7 games (1968-1974)

--Redskins longest losing streak in Philadelphia is 5 games (1945-1950)

My Memories:

1986: Pretty vague, I think I remember it because of the VHS 1986 highlight tape I owned more so than my actual memory of the game...we got down 14-0 early and it stayed that way until the 4th quarter when we came to life and rattled off 21 points to win by a TD.

1990: The infamous Body Bag game. I still enjoy Monday Night games, but when I was a kid I lived for them....I would be so excited at school all day and I'd rush home, get set up and watch every second of pregame I could find. I was jazzed that day as usual, and when gametime rolled around, I went to my customary spot in my gameroom with my tiny little TV and settled in. Decent first half, tied 7-7. Then, the wheels fell off....pretty much literally. Our guys started dropping like flies as the Philly defense started to swarm. Stan Humphries and Jeff Rutledge both left with inuries and Brian Mitchell was called on to play QB at the end of the day...he did lead us to a garbage time TD....that game was a brutal, physical beating and I remember thinking at the time that maybe we weren't tough enough to handle Buddy Ryan's Eagles. Then.....

1990 Wilcard Game: Back in Philly with a chance for redemption. After a slow start, we got a huge reversal on an Earnest Byner reviewed fumble that seemed to swing momentum in our favor. A TD to Monk gave us a 7-6 lead and we never looked back. Our defense exacted some revenge for our offense, swarming Randall Cunnigham and dominating the second half of the game completey. The final of 20-6 really wasn't indicitive of exactly how badly we dominated that game after a slow start. It all boiled down to the fact that there was no way Buddy Ryan was going to get the best of Gibbs twice...Joe was a far superior coach and he proved it in every way that day. That game was the first playoff game of the year that year on a Saturday....made for a very nice weekend. One of the most satisfying wins in my Redskins fan history.

1991: Late afternoon start on the last day of the season....game had no meaning for either team. We had long wrapped up the top seed and the Eagles were already out of it despite having a solid 9-6 record at the time. I had my Mom drop me off at the sportsbar anyway...couldn't resist that 1991 team. We got a big early lead, Eagles came back, and eventually won it 24-22 on a last second FG. It was no big deal, but I've always wondered if going 15-1 instead of 14-2 would have gotten that team a bit more respect.

1992: Felt like a playoff game...the winner controlled their own destiny, the loser needed help. Very intense game...watching from our family room in Tulsa. I will never forget Eric Allen defending a pass on 4th down to seal the win for Philly as he celebrated. Rypien led a long drive and it looked like we might do it, but that last play fell a bit short...intended for Clark...I can still see him on the turf of the Vet looking dejected. Heartbreaking loss at the time, but we wound up getting the help we needed to get in anyway...and that loss actually woud up being a blessing as we went to Minnesota instead of New Orleans, which would have been a much tougher game for us.

1993: The day the music died for me. We were 1-1, the Eagles were 2-0 and we had pretty much owned them in games that mattered under Gibbs. At that time I still felt Petitbone was going to be great for us and that we'd just continue the party. Wonderful game...back and forth all day...Reggie Brooks had an 85 yard run to give us a 31-24 lead and things looked good. But the Eagles cut it to 31-27 and got the ball one last time to try and win it. Randall led them on a methodical drive....I can't remember if the final play was on 4th down or if the time was just running out, but I remember thinking we were one play away....but Randall came through with a TD to Calvin Williams....crushing, crushing loss. And I knew right there that things were different. It only got worse.....One personal sidenote...we moved to Houston in the summer of 1993 and I didn't have many friends...went to a sportsbar by our house that I'd never been to before....another kid about my age was there rooting for the Redskins...we struck up a conversation and quickly became good friends. We are still very close to this day and actually attended the Redskins-Giants game in the Meadowlands this year along with another friend of ours who we also met in Houston. I didn't enjoy my three years living there very much, but I did make two great friends...one of which directly through my Redskin fanhood.

1994: Ah, the desperation. I was still coming to grips with the fact that we were rebuilding. I kept thinking that any week, we'd just explode and be back to the Gibbs era football I knew growing up. This was a Sunday Night game at the Vet and we were big underdogs. We played well that night. Heath was bad as always, but he did throw two long TD passes...both to Tydus Winans. Who? Yes, that was back when I was so desperate for any glimmer of hope that I'd get all giddy when a young guy did something decent. Winans was either a rookie or in his second year in 1994, and I thought he had a future. He did not. We held a lead in the 4th, but Eagles scored a TD and won 21-17.

1995: Flew up to Philly from Houston and met several of our extended family for a little mini reunion. About 15 or so of us went to the Vet that day...I was the only skins fan. Beautiful day... I'd heard stories about the Vet, but actually didn't have any real problems that day....we had horrible seats in the upper end zone, but everyone had a good time. I saw a few other Redskins fans getting the business from Eagles morons, but nothing really directed at me....I did see a dude light a Redskins hat on fire though. Another fantastic game that ended in heartbreak. Back and forth, very little defense....somewhat typcial of the early Norv years. We rallied from 10 down and a Henry Ellard TD followed by a FG sent the game into OT...of course we couldn't get a stop and lost 37-34. Great day with family though.

1996: The infamous "Fu$& Yeah Mom" Game....well, infamous if you know me at least....Freshmen year at OU..lucky enough to be in dorms with several friends I'd known since childhood along with several others we'd met that year. The game that day was on local TV so I didn't need to go to the bar. It was a huge game for us....after a 7-1 start, we'd dropped two ugly games in a row, including the also infamous Boomer Esiason 520 yard passing game. Things did not appear to be looking good for us going to the Vet that day. I knew if we'd won we'd be OK, but that a loss might destory us. I was very nervous and pumped for that game. Very few of my friends have a dog in the fight in the NFL. They all love it, but few have a rooting interest. So, knowing how much it means to me, they all get a real kick rooting against the Redskins and reveling in my misery. That day, for whatever reason, I wound up with about 7 of them in my dorm room watching. They knew it was getting under my skin, so they started rooting for the Eagles like they were all born and bred in Philly...chants, smack talk, etc... all the while I could hear them giggling as I did my best to ignore them. I didn't respond to their comments and cheers, knowing that what they were looking for was an explosion from me. I more or less kept my cool and didn't play their game. We had the game somewhat in control, but Philly stayed close enough and got to within 5 late with the ball. I had a sinking feeling and the guys behind me were eating it up. It was intense. Finally, we made the stop and won the game. I let a huge yell then I turned to my 7 friends and did something they'd been looking for all day...

I looked and pointed at each one of them individually and went down the line...."F you, and F you, and F you, and F you, and F, and F you, and F you!" As they started to crack up, the phone rang...I answered...it was my Mom calling to "congratulate" me on the win. I'll never know exactly why I did this, but I immediately screamed.. "Fu$^ Yeah, Mom! Fu$^ Yeah!" Conversation was short...It has become legendary among our group of friends. To this day I will get texts after the Redskins win that just say "F yeah Mom!" Absolutely one of my most memorable personal games ever. And of course, the Redskins blew the season anyway....

2000: McNabb gives us a gift...after an ugly game that wound up tied at 14 very late, McNabb was a poor decision on a throw in his own territory...picked off by Green, who returns it down the sideline and sets up and easy game winning FG. One of those Norv games that was more escape than victory.

2001: Part of our 5 wins in a row after starting 0-5. But God, was it boring. Just a brutal game under dark skies at the Vet. We won 13-3 and you had to feel good about where we were headed. But it was so ugly. I'm one of the few who has no regrets letting Marty go. 2001 was a crap season contrary to some odd belief around here and I don't think we would have gotten significantly better.

2005: Late afternoon, last game of season, watching with my wife from our house outside of Tulsa. I did my best to explain to her what that day meant...a "win and in" game that would complete our divison sweep and end our improbable run with a playoff berth. It was shaky early...got down 17-7 and I was antsy. We kicked a FG before half which made me feel better and I was real confident once we tied it. But we did find ourselves down again before the Sean
Taylor fumble return TD sealed it for us....that play is an all time favorite of mine and my favorite ST memory. I was so incredibly happy after that and was on cloud 9 all day and all week leading up to the Tampa game. Portis was a beast that day, but he and Brunell had nothing left after that. Anyway, it is certainly one of the better moments of the past 20 years.

2008: Was a little apprehensive about taking my pregnant wife to a football game with Philly fans, but I found the Linc to be a perfectly fine venue with normal amounts of ribbing from the home fans...we didn't encounter an ugliness that day at all...more of just Philly fans mad at their own. The night before, we were eating at Pat's, and I noticed a guy wearing skins gear...we got to talking and it turned out he was an ES member (Stags) and he recognized my name. He and his girlfriend were incredibly friendly and we had a good time chatting. The next day we are settling into our seats pretty early and out of nowhere I see Stags waving at me...he waves me down and tells me he has two extra seats...second row, 50 yard line right behind Eagles bench. Invites my wife and I to sit with them...no charge. After a lousy start, we slowly clawed back...in the second half we took control and held on to win somewhat easily. This was the fourth game of our four game win streak and I really thought we were good...all of those wins were legit and I thought that Zorn had tapped into something within JC. Sigh...I was there again the next week vs the Rams when it all came crashing down. But for that day....man, it felt good. It was an absolutely perfect fall day on the east coast. My wife and I walked the tree-lined streets where we staying in south Jersey and got pizza that night. Great, great day and I will always remember Stags and his genorosity.

2012: I just wanted that game to end...the minute it started. I knew it was all going to come down to that Cowboys game, but we had to get there first. I also knew the Eagles sucked, but was nervous due to the "you never know" factor. I'm short on details of this one because I really did just want it to end and was relieved once it did.

2013: So disgusted with our performance up to that point in the year that this was a very rare instance where I turned the game off. I do give props to RG3 for gutting this game out-- he kept us in it and kept fighting. The end of course got a lot of attention-- it was a horrible decision by RG no doubt, but he was the only reason we had a prayer late in that game. Eagles just turned off the ignition too early. It was the last game of last season where I still went in really caring.

Wasn't really a memorable game on our end, but that game in '04 stands out for some reason. I had been a big fan of TO's up to that point, and it was weird as hell seeing in that uniform, as the sworn enemy, for the first time. They were also rolling, and were like 7-0 or 6-1 at that point. I think the game was fairly close for awhile, put they ended up pulling away and hammering us in the end.

Also, McNabb took a huge hit from Joe Salave'a when he did one of those classic scrambles, and got flattened from behind in like the 2nd quarter.

The 2005 seasons reminds me a lot of our current situation (but of course better). Furthermore, I went to that game (Eagles, Jan 1) and I remember when Sean Taylor scored, I jumped up in joy to celebrate. Next thing I knew, the classy Philadelphia fans were throwing their beers all over me and my friends. Good times and I'm going back there this weekend in hopes of beating the Eagles. It should also be noted that at that game, McNabb didn't start, just as Vick wont start this weekend.

2001 - Back in the 90s I was just a casual fan; this was the first @Philly game I saw as a die-hard. After getting off to an UGLY 0-5 start we clawed back, and found ourselves at 4-5. Philly's D was tough, but it was susceptible to the run, and we pounded them with Stephen Davis while our D contained the then-overrated McNabb. Tony Banks threw two 3rd-down strikes on our final possession which I think resulted in a FG, giving us a 2-score edge late in the 4th, icing the game. This game got us back to 0.500. Our losses to Dallas that year really sucked; I don't remember who the wild cards were that year, but those Dallas games might've been what cost us a chance at playoffs.

Most memorable AT Eagles game for me was the '82 season opener won in overtime, 37-34, I believe. Moseley hit a long (48 yarder?) to tie it in regulation, then won it in overtime. I was watching it at the beach. That was the only time I was able to hit some waves after savoring a Redskins victory.

That "**** Yeah Mom" story has to be one of the best I've read on here. Hahaha, that's great Kleese.

Not a lot of great memories with the Eagles. The games have normally be pretty close.

One in particular was pretty cool, though. I think it was 2007. I know I was in Iraq, and it was either Sunday Night Football or Monday Night Football. The game was kind of even though the first half or so and then right before half time we lined up for a field goal. Andy Reid called a timeout to ice Suisham... so Gibbs sent the offense back out on the field and I believe it was Campbell who threw a TD pass to Cooley right before the break.

I had this really annoying kid who was assigned to me during that deployment. He was born and raised in Richmond, VA... but rooted for the Eagles because of "family reasons." In any case, he was there with me and I gave him the buisiness throughout the game. This one came down to the final drive, when LaRon Landry made his first big play knocking the ball out on 4th and goal and preventing the Eagles from winning.

I literally punched a hole in the wall of our ready room after this. Of course, I later fixed it, but I was so pumped after that. I thought that JCam had finally turned the corner and that our defense was playing so well that we may have a shot.

Was born in the DC area and became a Skins fan at 6 years old, but moved to enemy territory of the South Jersey suburbs of Philly when I was 9, so the Eagles have been my main divisional rival, and have seen my fair share of games in person at the Vet and Linc. Some memories:

1978: Skins got off to a 6-0 start, but their first loss of the season was a blowout at Philly. Depressed watching it on TV, and the team would stagger to an 8-8 finish.

1982: first ever live NFL regular season for me was the season opener at the Vet. Thrilling finish to go to OT and win, start of a magical season.

1983: this was the second game of the season, after we had blown a 23-3 halftime lead and lost to the Cowboys. Was again at the Vet and it was a tight game after three quarters and I thought we were going to drop to 0-2. But Skins pulled away in the 4th.

1984: was also at the Vet for this one as we dropped it to fall to 7-5 and left me with a miserable feeling as I made the bus ride up to college that evening. But afterwards Gibbs would go on his typical end-of-season streak, winning the last four to finish 11-5 and win the East.

1989: this was the first game after the embarrassing loss to the then-winless Cowboys on SNF. Was at the Vet again, and we managed to win an ugly low scoring game.

Early 1991 playoff game: was not in attendance, but, as Kleese said, one of the most satisfying Skins wins outside of the Super Bowls.

1996: there for this one too and the Skins seemed to have righted the ship, pulling it out to go to 8-3 for the season after losing a couple straight. Left the stadium thinking there was no way we were missing the playoffs......was I ever wrong!

1997: had tickets for the Os playoff game in Baltimore, so left this one at halftime and drove down to see the baseball game. Eagles dominated in first half and held on to win.

1998: both teams 0-5 going into this. Eagles win. Dreadful game to see live.

1999: Want to say we started the game with a reverse to James Thrash that gained like 25 yards and I stood up and yelled "Yeah!' prompting someone around 15-20 rows back to yell some choice things my way and the people sitting directly behind me to please refrain from standing for fear that objects would start coming at me. McNabb's first ever start and, IIRC, we had a late INT that was negated by a defensive hold that kept the game-winning Eagles drive alive. Was really upset leaving the stadium that day.

2000: remember Deion fumbling a punt return, our FG at the time (Husted?) being god awful and missing a few early to kick one at the end to win, as Kleese said set up by Darrell Green INT.

2003: first game I saw at the new Linc, sat in the club level and was impressed. Also was the first game after Rush Limbaugh had made some controversial comments about McNabb. Tight game throughout, Ramsey threw a 30 yard dart at the end of regulation to bring us with 2, but we couldn't convert. We pretty much went down the toilet that season after the game.

2004: Back to the Linc, tight game in the first half but the Eagles pull away to win 28-6. Leaving the stadium after the game overhear some dude talking on his cell phone saying "Well, he was an idiot for coming back..." and I thought he was referring to Gibbs. Grrrrrrrr.............

2005: New Years Day, was back at the Linc and thought we were going to blow our playoff shot to a depleted Philly team as we were losing early. But came back and game was punctuated by Taylor's dive into the end zone with the fumble return at the end. Went down to Atlantic City after the game and played craps with some Skins fans.

2007: last game I've been to at the Linc, Monday night early season game. Saw Phil Daniels' wife outside the stadium before the game and I asked if he was playing (I knew he was questionable) and she told me no. Remember at the end of the half when we were deep in Eagles territory, but had committed some penalties, and it was like 2nd or 3rd down but still plenty of time left to run another play, and when Gibbs brought out the FG unit I exploded.....was screaming, asking what are you DOING??, and was generally going ballistic......the Eagles fans sitting around me must've thought I was nuts. But Reid called a timeout and Gibbs brought the O back on the field, and JC threw a TD to Cooley. Good win to take us to 2-0.

Remember one of those late 90s games where Brian Mitchell was absolutely torching the Eagles on kickoff returns early, and it got to the point where the Eagles just decided to kick it out of bounds rather than deal with B-Mitch.

Which game was it when McNabb tried to replicate the "Marino fake spike" play and got clobbered (I think by Marcus Washington)?

That was maybe the 2007 game in Philly?

---------- Post added December-21st-2012 at 10:13 AM ----------

I remember the 2 games from 1990 vividly. I also remember having to listen to the 1996 game on the radio on the ride back to college (it must have been on Thanksgiving weekend). Once we took that game I assumed we had locked up a playoff slot.

That was maybe the 2007 game in Philly?

---------- Post added December-21st-2012 at 10:13 AM ----------

I remember the 2 games from 1990 vividly. I also remember having to listen to the 1996 game on the radio on the ride back to college (it must have been on Thanksgiving weekend). Once we took that game I assumed we had locked up a playoff slot.

No, it was 2005 at FedEx.

New Years Day in 2005 was amazing. I was a Freshman in high school at the time, so the next day classes started back up. I saw my Law teacher in the hallway eary in the day, who was a gigantic 'Skins fan, and all he said to me was "Come here my Redskin brotha" and gave me the biggest hug ever. I had his class for the last period of the day. He had gotten hoagies for the two of us and I was exempt from doing whatever assignment the rest of the class was doing. The Iggles fans were so upset, and it was awesome.

:eaglesuck

I was at the New Year's Day game in 2005, too. I knew all of the stories about Philly fans but had no idea what I'd gotten myself into. I expected to get cursed at and heckled, but I ended up not going to the bathroom for the entire game because I was afraid of being beaten up. When ST21 scored, I screamed and jumped up and down and ended up moving closer to other fans just to feel a little safer b/c by that time, beers were flying around and the Philly fans were drunk and mad. I took all of the swearing, taunting, and trash talk until the end of the game...and that's when I started saying, "Well, good luck in the playoffs! Oh wait, you're not going are you? Well, guess the 'Skins will have a good time in the playoffs!" That did not improve the situation but it sure made me feel better.

2007: last game I've been to at the Linc, Monday night early season game. Saw Phil Daniels' wife outside the stadium before the game and I asked if he was playing (I knew he was questionable) and she told me no. Remember at the end of the half when we were deep in Eagles territory, but had committed some penalties, and it was like 2nd or 3rd down but still plenty of time left to run another play, and when Gibbs brought out the FG unit I exploded.....was screaming, asking what are you DOING??, and was generally going ballistic......the Eagles fans sitting around me must've thought I was nuts. But Reid called a timeout and Gibbs brought the O back on the field, and JC threw a TD to Cooley. Good win to take us to 2-0.

I was at that 2007 game. Great tailagte with another Skins fan and 2 Iggs fans. I remember late in the game and we had secured the win & my iggs friends looked at me and said:

"Dude..if you want to make it home alive you might want to run out of here!"

I can remember running through the lots while trying to avoid the verbal abuse I was getting. Best part was getting out of lots, rolling down the windows, screaming Hail to the Redskins, while blowing my horn all the way out of there!"

• 10 months later...

Watching that video of the 2005 playoff-clinching game makes me miss that defense. Back then I wanted a great offense! I think it's been long enough for our fans that it's OK to be greedy and want both.

Last year's win in Philly was great. We had to battle and seemingly built a comfortable lead (on a picture perfect TD to Moss). Foles brought them back within 7 and then had them knocking on the door again before a game-ending intentional grounding. Phew!

I still love our 1996 win up there too. It gave us our 8th win in November and in year 3 under Turner it felt like we were back on the rise just a few years removed from our golden age. That was a fun, young team to root for until things stagnated over the next couple years.

I have vague memories of the bodybag game happening but I never realized its true impact until I watched the "America's Game" on the '91 team.  They basically said that the '90 team was talented but had no character.  That game (and the ensuing playoff win in Philly) gave the Redskins the edge/character they needed to win the following year.  So in a way, that low was the first building block to winning the Super Bowl a year later.

I'm not sure I'm in a position to agree or disagree but I always thought it was an interesting take.

My biggest memories of playing at Philly was a game in the mid-90s where the whole team basically stank, except Brian Mitchell somehow played out of his mind got the game to a 30-30 tie after 4 quarters.  The Redskins lost in OT though :(  [Was that the 1995 game?]

Watching that video of the 2005 playoff-clinching game makes me miss that defense. Back then I wanted a great offense! I think it's been long enough for our fans that it's OK to be greedy and want both.

Last year's win in Philly was great. We had to battle and seemingly built a comfortable lead (on a picture perfect TD to Moss). Foles brought them back within 7 and then had them knocking on the door again before a game-ending intentional grounding. Phew!

I still love our 1996 win up there too. It gave us our 8th win in November and in year 3 under Turner it felt like we were back on the rise just a few years removed from our golden age. That was a fun, young team to root for until things stagnated over the next couple years.

I was always more comfortable back in those days, oddly enough.  Because I always felt that going into a game, if we got to 21 we were probably going to win and if we got to 24 it was almost a lock.  There always seemed to be "time" to get stuff done.

Now, if we don't score on every possession we get behind the proverbial 8 ball.

I can't believe I'm just remembering how I was with that game just now, but --- That was one of the greatest wins I never watched because I was flying back to Alaska from being home for a few days and I got all of the updates on my cell phone from my mom when I landed.  I remember the ritual well... I turned on my phone and instantly received about 40 text messages. ( I remember cheating and receiving one in the air somehow and it said we were winning or close in the 3rd quarter... and I could barely breath the rest of the flight.) 

So when I got off the plane I walked calmly into the first bathroom I could in the Anchorage Airport, because if I "didn't know" the outcome in my mind we still had a shot and I wanted to live with that for a couple of more moments.  And then I opened my phone with the intent of just scrolling immediately to the top and reading the updates as they happened, but the first thing I saw under my mom's name was part of the text that said "Skins win" and I lost my ****, lol. 

As an aside, my mom was always very good at sending me text updates (and now my wife is too).  They wouldn't just be "Redskins are winning" or "Redskins 24 Eagles 17".  They would be "17-7 Redskins, Eagles Ball, 1st and 10 on own 35. 10 mins 3qtr."

For that I am always thankful. :)

I was always more comfortable back in those days, oddly enough. Because I always felt that going into a game, if we got to 21 we were probably going to win and if we got to 24 it was almost a lock. There always seemed to be "time" to get stuff done.

Now, if we don't score on every possession we get behind the proverbial 8 ball.

I can't believe I'm just remembering how I was with that game just now, but --- That was one of the greatest wins I never watched because I was flying back to Alaska from being home for a few days and I got all of the updates on my cell phone from my mom when I landed. I remember the ritual well... I turned on my phone and instantly received about 40 text messages. ( I remember cheating and receiving one in the air somehow and it said we were winning or close in the 3rd quarter... and I could barely breath the rest of the flight.)

So when I got off the plane I walked calmly into the first bathroom I could in the Anchorage Airport, because if I "didn't know" the outcome in my mind we still had a shot and I wanted to live with that for a couple of more moments. And then I opened my phone with the intent of just scrolling immediately to the top and reading the updates as they happened, but the first thing I saw under my mom's name was part of the text that said "Skins win" and I lost my ****, lol.

As an aside, my mom was always very good at sending me text updates (and now my wife is too). They wouldn't just be "Redskins are winning" or "Redskins 24 Eagles 17". They would be "17-7 Redskins, Eagles Ball, 1st and 10 on own 35. 10 mins 3qtr."

For that I am always thankful. :)

Yupp, my dad and I text eachother during every game, cause I'm at college on Long Island and he's in Virginia. Plus my brother and I text sometimes back and forth about games. It's fun :)

Archived