Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins AT Eagles History, Anecdotes, and Fan Memories

kleese

I miss the "Defense" days of the '00s too. For the longest, that was the only thing this team was capable of doing at a high level. Every game was a slugfest. Even if we lost, you'd take satisfaction in knowing that the opposition scratched and clawed for every yard.

I remember that '07 game on MNF, where we showcased 'Area 51" on a national stage. ST was clocking dudes left and right (had a monster hit on Reggie Brown) and Landry dislodged the ball on another hit at the goal line that preserved the W.

As for last year, I knew it would be a fight. I think it was Reid's last home game... They had literally NOTHING to play for other than sending Reid off victorious, while we had playoff/division hopes on the line. I'm sure Griffin hobbled and everyone looking forward to the SNF showdown the following week with Dallas was really all they needed though. Griffin threw probably his best pass to date as a Skin. I think he got pressured in the pocket, threw off his back foot (IIRC) and hit a strike to Santana in the corner of the endzone with a toe tap finish.

I don't think he could hit that throw right now, and he did it last year with one leg. The team definitely earned that W.

I miss the "Defense" days of the '00s too. For the longest, that was the only thing this team was capable of doing at a high level. Every game was a slugfest. Even if we lost, you'd take satisfaction in knowing that the opposition scratched and clawed for every yard.

I think one of the more memorable games last decade was the '04 one at FedEx.  That was the year the Eagles had T.O. and eventually made it to the Super Bowl, but we fought them tooth and nail. ST #21 made Todd Pinkston have alligator arms, and we were in position to tie it up at the end to send to OT, but Ramsey tried a throw into the corner of the end zone that was intercepted, and we lost 17-14.

1990 Wilcard Game: Back in Philly with a chance for redemption. After a slow start, we got a huge reversal on an Earnest Byner reviewed fumble that seemed to swing momentum in our favor. A TD to Monk gave us a 7-6 lead and we never looked back. Our defense exacted some revenge for our offense, swarming Randall Cunnigham and dominating the second half of the game completey. The final of 20-6 really wasn't indicitive of exactly how badly we dominated that game after a slow start. It all boiled down to the fact that there was no way Buddy Ryan was going to get the best of Gibbs twice...Joe was a far superior coach and he proved it in every way that day. That game was the first playoff game of the year that year on a Saturday....made for a very nice weekend. One of the most satisfying wins in my Redskins fan history.

Still gives me goosebumps to read this account by Richard Justice (formerly of the Washington Post).  Wish I could have been a fly in that locker room the week before this game.....

Joe Gibbs was mad. Sputtering mad. Red-faced mad. Punch-the-wall mad. The subject was Philadelphia Eagles Coach Buddy Ryan, and the more Gibbs talked about him, the madder he got. The words came in angry bursts, as if Gibbs were ready to deck the questioner, as if he hoped that Ryan would feel the punch in Philadelphia.

"I live to play a game like this one," Gibbs said. "I live to play this guy."

It was the first week of 1991, and the Redskins were facing a playoff game against the Eagles. While the Redskins had missed the playoffs the two previous seasons, Gibbs had lost none of his magic, especially in motivating his team. To help get the Redskins ready for the Eagles, he had taunted his players, saying:

"If you lose this game, Buddy Ryan is going to call you a bunch of fat asses like he did last time. If you don't mind being called a bunch of fat asses, that's your business."

Now it was two days before kickoff. In the parking lot at Redskin Park, Gibbs' car was still covered with snow that had fallen four days earlier. He had arrived for work late Sunday night after a meaningless December 30 victory over Buffalo to end the regular season, had spent New Year's Eve there and still had not left. During a break in a late-night meeting with his coaches, he encountered a reporter he knew well, and he finally let loose with thoughts and emotions he had long been holding back from the public.

Rest of the story is on below link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/book/pages/172.htm

• 10 months later...

I was at last year's game and it just seemed like the Skins were still deflated from blowing the game against Minnesota 10 days earlier. They basically didn't show up for the first three quarters at the Linc last season and only got back into it because the Philly D fell asleep. Leaving the stadium that day convinced me that Shanahan had to go.

I'll be back up there Sunday for what may be truly the first start of the Kirk Cousins era........

You forgot the 07 game. That one was pretty memorable. We were up a TD late but McNabb drove them to the red zone before we held them. Carlos Rogers chest bumped Joe Gibbs after it was over and it nearly knocked him out. :D That game got us to 2-0. I think that was the game where the "I'm sorry the ass kicking you guys are about to receive" thread originated from on Around the NFL.

Archived