Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obamacare...(new title): GOP DEATH PLAN: Don-Ryan's Express

JMS

I think what will be interesting is the impact on the fall election. Does this mean Obama cruises to reelection. The Dems retake the House and keep the Senate. Liberalism on steroids in 2013.

Or does this lead to the opposite, Romney cruises to victory, Repubs keep the House and take the Senate.

My gut says that this will give Obama his victory.

This ruling wont have any affect at all on the POTUS race. It may help mobilize some voters in right leaning districts in Congressional races, but just taking them from "likely GOP" to "Safe GOP".

So, if a company is only fined between 2000 and 4000 per employee they dont provide health insurance for, isnt that cheaper then providing health insurance?

the average total health care premium per employee for large companies is projected to be $10,475 in 2012, up from $9,792 in 2011, and $9,111 in 2010.

Source: PR Newswire (http://s.tt/1bF6N)

Is it a tax that 100% of American adults will have to pay or just some of them?

Yes... just as its always been. Except you don't really have to pay it under about a million exceptions. And if you don't qualify for an exception, you could still just not pay it.

By the way, everyone's life is the same right now as it was 30 minutes ago.

Edited by Tulane Skins Fan

Calling my congressman now. Make everyone buy a Nissan. With six standard airbags, think of all the money we'll save on vehicles that don't have such safety features.

Considering that the individual mandate was struck down under the commerce clause, this ruling should specifically prevent goverment mandation of products such as your Nissan.

Unless you actually think this opens the door for national product specific taxes, which is ridiculous. That might have been possible had this been ruled constitutional via the commerce clause, but not now.

Roberts will probably add some very limiting language regarding commerce items for use in future decisions as a result of him upholding the mandate. Kinda a brilliant move.

Edited by The Tris

Yes... just as its always been. Except you don't really have to pay it under about a million exceptions. And if you don't qualify for an exception, you could still just not pay it.

By the way, everyone's life is the same right now as it was 30 minutes ago.

pretty much what I assumed.

You should probably do something about that. Otherwise' date=' you are going to get sick, go bankrupt, and cause the healthcare costs for the rest of us to go up.[/quote']

Damn. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks. :rolleyes:

Thank you George W. Bush, for appointing a Chief Justice that would uphold Mitt Romney's idea for a mandate!

Yep. Once again proiving that GOP appointed Justices do not toe the party line.

Shame it never happens with Dem appointed Justices.

I don't recall this being accurate, but CJ Roberts is more familiar with the procedural history than I am, obviously:

The Government advances two theories for the proposition that Congress had constitutional authority to enact the individual mandate. First, the Government argues that Congress had the power to enact the mandate under the Commerce Clause. Under that theory, Congress may order individuals to buy health insurance because the failure to do so affects interstate commerce, and could undercut the Affordable Care Act’s other reforms. Second, the Government argues that if the commerce power does not support the mandate, we should nonetheless uphold it as an exercise of Congress’s power to tax.

I don't think the media necessarily got it wrong. I could be wrong, but I think the mandate didn't stand on the grounds in the legislation, but the court said it stood on other grounds where the government does have authority (to tax). So, it's not thrown out, but the mandate is now legally considered a tax.

These rulings are bound to miss meaningful interpretation when the media is rushing to be first. I suspect Roberts joined the left on the court so he could write the opinion and thus include language that is more limiting than the other justices might have otherwise included.

We'll know more as this is further analyzed over the next hours and days.

It's an interesting decision. I'm 7 pages in - out of 193 - and I have a blinding headache and a tic has developed under my left eye.

This actually was upheld for the exact opposite reasons I thought it was. I thought the Court would rule that Congress had authority under the Commerce Clause and that this was not a tax. The ruling holds that Congress has no authority under the Commerce Clause (which strikes me as pretty important in the long run) but this IS a tax.

---------- Post added June-28th-2012 at 09:51 AM ----------

I don't think the media necessarily got it wrong. I could be wrong, but I think the mandate didn't stand on the grounds in the legislation, but the court said it stood on other grounds where the government does have authority (to tax). So, it's not thrown out, but the mandate is now legally considered a tax.

CNN got it ****ing wrong.

(I've been good about not swearing for the last month, but considering I sent an email to some colleagues based on the CNN report, I'm really angry).

Sounds like it was Roberts

It was a majority who decided to uphold 80 years of precident on broadly interpretting the commerse clause. The commerse clause thus interpreted broadly has been used to justify everything from social security, to labor standards, to civil rights. Interpretting it narrowly would have significanly changed the nation.. Coarse this court has shown it's willingness to do that with their recent rulings on money equating to freedom of speech.