Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

44 minutes ago, Destino said:

People forget how good Nash was when he found a coach that set him free.  This is the entire list of 50-40-90 club members:   Kevin Durant, Mark Price, Reggie Miller, Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, Larry Bird, and Stephen Curry.  Seven players.  Here is the list of guys that did it more than once: Steve Nash and Larry Bird.  Nash did it four times.  He'd be a stand out star in any era, including today, and certainly wouldn't be the only star point guard that teams had to hide on defense.   

I will agree with Steve that the NBA is spectacularly rich on point guards right now.  There are several point guards playing right now that can dominate a basketball game in multiple ways.  So many that guys like Dame Lillard and Mike Conly, two very good PGs, can't make an allstar game.  Plus, I think we're under appreciating CP3, who has to be considered one of the best point guards to ever play the game.  Here's one of my favorite stats about the PointGod: he's averaged more steals per game than turnovers in five different seasons.  With the amount of time he has the ball, that's an incredible feat.  

Nash would still be a great offensive player but he'd be a tier below Paul, Curry, Westbrook, Harden, and Wall.  The issue for him is that he can't score like they can.  He's a great outside shooter and great pulling up on the PnR from the elbows but, despite all his tricks, he wouldn't be able to score inside.  He didn't have the speed or strength to do it.

I remember it was a novelty in 2011 when Derrick Rose was taking pick and rolls to the cup and finishing over the defense.  Point guards were supposed to dish to finishers, and he was the first one to be a primary finisher.  Now every great PG finishes at the cup with tremendous efficiency.  Today's transcendent PGs get to the FT line and score inside with the efficiency of the dominant bigs of old.

Harden is basically the rich man's version of Nash.  That is who you have to compare him to, and Nash comes up really short.  Nash benefited from playing in one of the worst PG eras in league history, he wouldn't make All NBA teams and the thought of him winning an MVP in this era is laughable.

As for CP3, as far as I'm concerned, he's already the third greatest PG in NBA history behind Magic and Oscar.  Until Curry eventually passes him.

Boston can easily get back in to this with the 3 ball. I remember that game where they were just unconscious from 3 against us in Boston. Just gotta stay disciplined on defense and keep doing what you are doing on offense.

and please keep playing IT on Wall :)

Edited by SuperBash