Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

6 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Was Wall vs. the Hawks this year the most dominant performance by a DC superstar in the playoffs in a really long time? 

I don't think Ovechkin has ever put the Capitals on his back like that.

Yeah, I don't remember him doing that either.

In fact, after what's happening to Caps at the moment, I don't ever want to hear Ovi compared to John.

• Like 1

Watching the Wizards and Caps is such a stark contrast. The Caps under Ovechkin will probably go down as one of the most mentally soft choking teams in sports history. 

I really think this is the year the Wizards make it to the ECF. Man only if Ernie was a better GM and Durant wasn't such a ho. This Wizards team with KD would have clowned the Cavs.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Watching the Wizards and Caps is such a stark contrast. The Caps under Ovechkin will probably go down as one of the most mentally soft choking teams in sports history. 

I really think this is the year the Wizards make it to the ECF. Man only if Ernie was a better GM and Durant wasn't such a ho. This Wizards team with KD would have clowned the Cavs.

You can just tell by looking at their faces and body language.

Wall comes in late in games with a strut. He knows he's going to win the game. He's got that athletic arrogance. He's not afraid of the moment. He's going to shove his nuts in your mouth and you'll like it.

You look at Ovie, Backstrom, etc. on the Caps. They look like nervous nellies.

Wall has that champion's attitude. The only thing going against him is that its tough for a PG to be the superstar player on a championship team. It can be done(see Curry, and going back to original Isiah Thomas on the 80s PIstons)but its rare. That and he still has to deal with Lebron in his conference who is a superfreak.

• Like 1

I get the impression that Wall lives for this stuff.  He's like a thrill seeker that needs to get at that sensation.  That feeling that only trying to rip the hearts out of opponents on the biggest stage can bring him.  Watch him, he's out there talking **** one minute and crashing to the ground with a huge grin on his face.  

Beal is much more controlled.  I think he has to be.  While Wall rides an emotional wave, I think Beal fights to keep his from getting out of control.  Beal does that micro expression thing, where his smile cracks and his eyes glow for an instant before you notice him breathing and fixing a smile back on his face.  If I had to bet, Beal's got anger issues that he's worked long and hard to channel them.  The more they come at him, they more energy he seems to find. 

Which reminds me, the Wizards are at their best when they are playing just angry enough not to get themselves thrown out of the game or foul out.  So maybe not double MMA, but like 1.5 MMA. 

• Like 4

Point guards run the league right now.  Especially if you consider LeBron a de facto point guard.

To say that there isn't much of a history of dominant PGs leading championship teams ignores the fact that there really haven't been many dominant PGs in the history of the NBA before now.

To be frank, Magic and Oscar are the only PGs in the history of the game who were as good or better than the great PGs in the league right now.  Magic wasn't even a real PG either, he was a sort of positionless hybrid guard/forward like LeBron.  CP3, Curry, Westbrook, Harden, and yes Wall are all so much better than the likes of Jason Kidd, Clyde Frazier, John Stockton, Steve Nash, and Isiah Thomas.  Those guys wouldn't be **** if they were in their prime and playing in the league today.  Maybe Penny Hardaway could have been something new and special but injuries ruined his career.  This generation of point guards is the first group of transcendent players at the position since Oscar and Magic.

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Wall will abuse Thomas, but the bench vs. bench matchup worries me. Horford could also do to us what Millsapp did.

Still I'm going with Wizards in 7.

Can't take anything you say seriously because if we lose 1 game you'll be calling for a sweep. Troll. Anyway I'm actually confident against Boston. I'll go with us in 6. Split the first 2 in Boston, split in dc and we win the last 2.

While I'm all for the comps, Steve Nash most definitely would have a place in the league. He was a 5 time 50-40-90 player that could give any bum an open shot. He was automatic from everywhere, and contact ( the thing that ended his career) is almost nonexistent now, unless you initiate it. 

• Like 1

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

My man McQueen throwing Jason Kidd and Zeke under the bus.  

PLAYOFF MODE!

Isiah Thomas would have made three All Star teams if he were playing in the current era.  His third, fourth, and fifth seasons would have been the only ones good enough to get him in.  I'd say he's one of the most overrated All Timers in the history of the league, but then Steve Nash won back to back MVPs.

3 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

While I'm all for the comps, Steve Nash most definitely would have a place in the league. He was a 5 time 50-40-90 player that could give any bum an open shot. He was automatic from everywhere, and contact ( the thing that ended his career) is almost nonexistent now, unless you initiate it. 

He'd have had a place in the league, as maybe the seventh or eighth best guy at the position.

Plop Damian Lillard or Kyrie Irving down in the league in 2001 and let them go against a bunch of tiny scrubs like Mike Bibby and Darrell Armstrong and Kenny Anderson and Brevin Knight and they'd have been perennial first team All NBA.

• Like 1

People forget how good Nash was when he found a coach that set him free.  This is the entire list of 50-40-90 club members:   Kevin Durant, Mark Price, Reggie Miller, Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, Larry Bird, and Stephen Curry.  Seven players.  Here is the list of guys that did it more than once: Steve Nash and Larry Bird.  Nash did it four times.  He'd be a stand out star in any era, including today, and certainly wouldn't be the only star point guard that teams had to hide on defense.   

I will agree with Steve that the NBA is spectacularly rich on point guards right now.  There are several point guards playing right now that can dominate a basketball game in multiple ways.  So many that guys like Dame Lillard and Mike Conly, two very good PGs, can't make an allstar game.  Plus, I think we're under appreciating CP3, who has to be considered one of the best point guards to ever play the game.  Here's one of my favorite stats about the PointGod: he's averaged more steals per game than turnovers in five different seasons.  With the amount of time he has the ball, that's an incredible feat.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

If Bill Russell were playing today, and I do mean today, Jason Smith would dunk in his grille repeatedly.  Robert Parrish could also get terminated if he liked.

I AM HYPE!

Russell, with his height and leanness would fit right in.  He'd have to do more on offense but I always got the impression that Russell was more about defense, rebounds and overall team ball and really only scored when he had to. 

Robert Parrish was pretty mean, IIRC.  No one would **** with him.

Anyway, excited for this matchup.  I don't think any other sport out there right now is like this, where you can ignore a good chunk of the regular season only because the playoffs elevate everyone and are WAY more exciting than anything the regular season has to offer.

I think this series goes 6 or 7.  Wizards eek it out, but I am biased.  Go WIZ!

• Like 1

I also think it's hilarious that you guys are talking like Steve Nash played in the 60s.  He's not that far removed from the game.  And I agree with Destino, anyone that's a 50-40-90 guy will be able to play anytime, anywhere.  Dude could pass, too.  Would he be the best PG in the game right now?  Not sure.  Probably not with the lack of defense, but what he meant to a team was incredible.

No love for my man Gary Payton in here.  I'd love to see GP get in Steph Curry's soft ass self and lock him down for a playoff series.  Different rules back then but I think GP would still be a great defender.  

• Like 3