Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins beat last 3 superbowl champs

martin49

I have always felt like the Redskins were a team that beats the best and loses to the worst. To a degree, they even held true to that in 2012.

Beat Bmore, lose to Carolina. Beat NY, lose to St. Louis. Re-apply, rinse, repeat. We need to break one of those habits.

I was joking with people last week that I was going to put money on Baltimore because whatever team in the Super Bowl that we beat wins during the Shanahan era. It was semi-joking...but sure enough, it continued.

Would be nice if instead of that bitter sweet fact, it just ends up being US in the big game next year.

So the real superbowl champs have been sitting here this whole time?... Man aren't we all blind to not have seen this.
I would like to think with a healthy RG3 it would have been a real possibility.

---------- Post added February-3rd-2013 at 11:48 PM ----------

hmmm....thread title change?

Thread title changed !!

Anyone else find it interesting that our skins have beat the last 3 superbowl champs in their respective years. Saints,packers,giants and ravens. I bet on the Ravens for that reason this year and it paid off! I'm calling it my Redskin Rule !:ols:

I was talking about this to a friend while watching the Super Bowl. It's odd. I don't know whether to feel proud or disgusted.

I have thought about this tonight as well. Honestly, it's getting pretty ****ing annoying to say the least. The Redskins over the last 10 years or so consistently beat teams they are not supposed to, and lose to weaker opponents. What this tells me is that this team needs to put together a full season and stop ****ing around for part of it. Stop losing to inferior opponents. I'm just going to call it like it is. There is absolutely ZERO reason why it should not have been Washington playing in that game tonight. Had RG3 not been injured we had an excellent chance of being that team. This season was a great turnaround, but the franchise as a whole needs to sustain the momentum from this season and keep working toward the ultimate goal.

I'm a little testy tonight I guess...

I have always felt like the Redskins were a team that beats the best and loses to the worst. To a degree, they even held true to that in 2012.

Beat Bmore, lose to Carolina. Beat NY, lose to St. Louis. Re-apply, rinse, repeat. We need to break one of those habits.

Honestly, the only "bad" loss to me this year, was Carolina at home... and even they quietly put together a very good second half of the season. The Rams beat SF once and damn near beat them again... they're a much improved team. Now being up 21-6 and losing is a bit different but of all our losses: Bengals, Steelers, Panthers, Giants, Rams,Falcons... I really think our losses were nothing to be that ashamed over.

I actually felt like they did in the second half of the season, beating teams they should beat like the Eagles and the Browns.

Hopefully, that trend will continue into 2013 (and beyond :) ).

yeap. I think a lot of us Skins fans were thinking this during the superbowl. But we are almost there guys, IMO we were a healthy RGIII away from probably playing in this one. Even with Mara's BS (it wouldn't be a thread if someone didn't mention this SOB) we still won the division and this team came together like it did back in 2005 and 2007. This time around however we have a QB that could potentially change the game as it is played. We are way younger and about to get even better than that 7-0 run. Not to mention we are getting this way when our division rivals seem to have lost a step of two.

We'll beat the 49ers next year as well before they win it all.

---------- Post added February-4th-2013 at 08:42 AM ----------

I have thought about this tonight as well. Honestly, it's getting pretty ****ing annoying to say the least. The Redskins over the last 10 years or so consistently beat teams they are not supposed to, and lose to weaker opponents. What this tells me is that this team needs to put together a full season and stop ****ing around for part of it. Stop losing to inferior opponents. I'm just going to call it like it is. There is absolutely ZERO reason why it should not have been Washington playing in that game tonight. Had RG3 not been injured we had an excellent chance of being that team. This season was a great turnaround, but the franchise as a whole needs to sustain the momentum from this season and keep working toward the ultimate goal.

I'm a little testy tonight I guess...

That's cause we've been terrible for 10 years and good teams fall asleep and fall into the trap against us, so we've manage to beat some good teams. We're on the radar now, we're going to be getting a lot more attention from ALL teams.

We pretty much wouldve beat the saints if Suisham didnt suck so much.

And we beat the giants when they won the other superbowl in 2008

It was 2007.

There was one season, I believe it was the steelers vs. cardinals where we beat 3 of the 4 teams in the championship game and beat the losing team in the Super Bowl.

It goes deeper than the past 3 years...we've beaten a Super Bowl participant in 5 of the past 6 years (and really should be on a 6-year streak).

2007: Beat the Giants 22-10 in December.

2008: Beat the Cardinals 24-17 in September

2009: Lost to the Saints 30-33 (OT) in December

2010: Beat the Packers 16-13 (OT) in October

2011: Beat the Giants 28-14 in September and 23-10 in December

2012: Beat the Ravens 31-28 (OT) in December

The only season in the past 6 in which we didn't beat a conference champion was 2009. Not only were we horrible that year, but we really had NO dead to rights before a missed FG and game-tying drive.

---------- Post added February-4th-2013 at 09:21 AM ----------

So what do we get?

I'll tell you what. Nothing. BFD.

To me, it's not a validation of our teams (we sucked in half of those years). I just think it's an interesting footnote.

Archived