Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do the Skins keep the read option with RG3 or scrap it?

PigskinPhat

Shame that RG3 is one of the best deep throwers in the league, but a concussion and a knee injury on a couple of runs in the read option in his rookie season is ominous. Hope and pray that he returns heathy, but it seems like the offense needs to change to keep him upright!

Thoughts?

Maybe we should also stop lining up in shotgun as a low snap caused him to collapse the knee in the first place. :silly:

In all seriousness though, and I might be the minority on this, I believe we should still keep the read-option, as it's very effective with a healthy RG3. He just needs to learn to run AWAY from the pursuit rather than INTO the pursuit.

You need to keep Pistol apart of this team unless you plan on upgrading this line. Read option was one of the reasons why many of the OL line problems weren't shown. This team will not be able to protect RG3 in the pocket with this line if we run a traditional offense.

I vote to scrap it. Roll him out and do bootlegs. Let him use his legs to run to buy time to throw or to run if absolutely necessary. But I would not call any more designed running plays for him. We cannot eliminate the possibility of him getting seriously injured, but we can minimize it.

I'm all about the Read Option. I personally think that actually is as safe, if not safer, for him than a "traditional" drop back. It causes hesitation in defenders, resulting in a great number of plays where he doesn't even seem to get touched. Indeed, the majority of hits I remember him taking on passing plays were in more "traditional" plays than on the actual read option plays.

What I'd prefer to see us use FAR more sparingly going forward would be the traditional run-option that we've ran a few times this year. The Begnals game, with the "triple" variation of it, is kind of what I mean. The plays that are made to be clear designed runs for Robert that have the option of a pitch man. That needs to be MASSIVELY reduced, because that's unnecessary extra risk. However, the ones where it's read option where he can either hand-off to morris, pull up and throw, or tear off to the edge are fine. I'd rather see the ones where he reads to determine to hand-off or take it himself be kept to a relative minimum.

Do we want RG3 healthy? Absolutely. Do I think he can be a very good "standard" QB? Absolutely. Do I think that he could be a elite QB with a top 5 offense by continuing to integrate the Pistol formation and Read-Option into the standard Shanahan Offense? ABSOLUTELY.

I think that Griffin, and the coaching staff, will learn from this season and get better at being smart in terms of getting down, reducing unnecessary risks, yet still keeping the dynamic aspects of this offense.

I say we take any football play out of our playbook that could further risk injury to Robert. No more read options because he might run with the ball. No more shotguns because the snap is too risky. Shouldn't let him scramble either, just throw the ball away. I'm thinking something along the likes of only allowing runs. Runs from the I formation only though. Single back and offset I are definitely out of the question!

While we are at it, we should probably show Kyle Shanahan the door as well because his innovative play calling is much to risky for a fragile player like Robert.

Look, since the 1970's the league has been all about protecting the qb. There are 5 linemen whose primary purpose is to protect the QB. We have a Bugatti in a demolition derby. The Skins will be better served if Robert becomes primarily a drop-back passer ala Aaron Rodgers. Each time he runs is a recipe for disaster and the read option is a designed option for him to run. I'd rather see him back there passing bombs than having Ngata or Witherspoon or some fat@$$ backer blowing him up as he runs and seeing him suffer another concussion or injury. Bottom line, RG3 has more built in protections as a drop- back passer than a runner. Besides Shanny is famous for developing RBs, RG3 NEED NOT RUN!!!

Shame that RG3 is one of the best deep throwers in the league, but a concussion and a knee injury on a couple of runs in the read option in his rookie season is ominous. Hope and pray that he returns heathy, but it seems like the offense needs to change to keep him upright!

Thoughts?

Griffin is gonna have to be smarter about getting down. For me that's the bottom line. Griffin simply does not need to expose himself to most of the hits he takes. He has the option to gain yards and get down before contact. Regardless of what plays the coaches call the onus is on Griffin to be less reckless with his body.

RG3 needs to learn the baseball slide. Simple as that. Has nothing to do with playcalling. The Ngata hit was definitely a fluke, but he's still got to limit the potential for injuries. Sliding would reduce his vulnerability. Forget the extra couple of yards and live to play another down.

RG3 needs to learn the baseball slide. Simple as that. Has nothing to do with playcalling. The Ngata hit was definitely a fluke, but he's still got to limit the potential for injuries. Sliding would reduce his vulnerability. Forget the extra couple of yards and live to play another down.

this.

The read option makes AlMo and the receivers a threat. We don't have any explosiveness without it. Offense will need to be tweaked a little more, guys will have to be better at protecting and holding your blocks downfield, and most of all RG3 will have to learn to get out of bounds or slide when necessary

he just needs to get down before guys are right on top of him. Seen many times he does try to slide but a guy is already two feet away from him laying out for the hit and to make it worse....it wont draw a flag. Dont let them get close

Yeah though, his "slides" this year usually result in him rolling and flipping around alot, exposing limbs to freak hits.

I'm glad that people get it. It's not really about the read option. It's about Robert Griffin protecting himself. On both of his injuries (Falcons and Ravens) he had plenty of time to get out of bounds and avoid contact. He didn't and is dealing with the consequences. It won't matter what play you call if the QB doesn't protect himself. There is already an inherent danger playing the QB position. He's actually more vulnerable in the pocket. He's safer when he becomes a runner since he should be more aware of the folks around him and be able to protect himself by going out of bounds or sliding. He made two horrible decisions by cutting back into the middle of the field and sliding late.

The only play call that I hate when it comes to putting Robert in danger is the triple option. That does nothing but amount to a free hit on the QB.

I realize he was not hurt on a read option play this year. However, it's all about how many times he is exposed to possible injury. I think the key is to cut his runs down in general. I don't think we should do away with the read option altogether. I don't think it should be such a big staple of our offense anymore though. If his ACL is torn again he can ill afford another one to that same knee. You don't want to walk on eggshells. But I think we should make a concerted effort going forward to reduce his exposure to contact and ugly hits. It's just a damn shame this happened in year 1 of his career.

None of the injuries came on the read option.

Concussion and Ngata hit were on scrambles when the play broke down.

Two knee re-aggrivations against Seattle were non-contact.

That may be true. But I dont think running RG3 in the option is going to be a smart move next season.

I realize he was not hurt on a read option play this year. However, it's all about how many times he is exposed to possible injury. I think the key is to cut his runs down in general. I don't think we should do away with the read option altogether. I don't think it should be such a big staple of our offense anymore though. If his ACL is torn again he can ill afford another one to that same knee. You don't want to walk on eggshells. But I think we should make a concerted effort going forward to reduce his exposure to contact and ugly hits. It's just a damn shame this happened in year 1 of his career.

Its a damn shame it happened at all. But I agree with your post.

Is it time to bring Jim Zorn back with his slide? :silly:

Archived