Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What players return for 2013-14 season?

DeadExField

Was watching the ESPN post-game segment, and they were discussing what a bright future we have here for the players and as fans. Got me thinking about a lot of the FA acquisitions we made this past year on both sides of the ball, and our interesting cap situation.

What players return next year? Who do we let skip town and possibly cut?

I'm sure plenty of fans want FS Williams gone on the first thing flying, but I'm not sure that'll happen so swiftly with. A lot of players I LOVE, but the business side is a friend to no one, similar to age.

That's a really good question actually...

The BIG questions I think...

Fletcher? Retire or no?

Moss? One more year or no?

Hall? Cap casualty?

Kedric? Casualty of increased youth depth?

Cooley? Retire or lost to the numbers game and effectively retires?

Polumbus? Does he stay for depth if we upgrade in the off season or do we cut ties?

In terms of the Safeties...

Doughty? Casualty of youth depth?

Williams? Casualty of new starters + youth depth?

Meriweather? Able to stay healthy during TC next year?

Jackson? Do we bring him back for depth at the beginning of the season?

I think Grossman is gone next year. I think Banks is gone next year. I think Helu or Royster could potentially see the walking papers if we find some promising young shanny RB in the draft.

---------- Post added January-6th-2013 at 09:22 PM ----------

Jackson is suspended until opening day I believe

Fletcher

Doughty

Williams

Grossman

Merriweather

Jackson

Never thought I'd say this, but after today I'm hoping Doughty stays on. Dude played his heart out today, had the game of his life. He's proven to be at least good depth after all these years. You gotta beleive Fletcher has at least 1 more season left in him, we'll probably draft his replacement in this draft. Grossman no longer serves a purpose and will likely want a backup job somewhere. Meriweather hopefully is fully healthy and ready to go. He's not too old and should be a valuable stop-gap starter at safety at least. Jackson will probably be back for training camp at least, but I think we'll draft some young DB's that could make him expendable.

Fletcher? Retire or no?

Hall? Cap casualty?

Polumbus? Does he stay for depth if we upgrade in the off season or do we cut ties?

Free Agent Wild Cards...

What happens with Rob Jackson? Do we resign? If so, how much are we going to pay? Is there room for him and Rak on the squad payroll wise?

What happens with Fred Davis? Do we cut bait? Franchise again? Try and sign for a reasonable price given his baggage?

I think Grossman is gone next year. I think Banks is gone next year. I think Helu or Royster could potentially see the walking papers if we find some promising young shanny RB in the draft.

Jackson is suspended until opening day I believe Fax

Fletcher? Retire or no?

Hall? Cap casualty?

Thank you for your post, it's much more in depth than mine but speaks to everything I was thinking, do you mind if I include it in the OP?

Guys I figure are certainly gone:

Cooley (thanks for the good years, Cap)

Banks

M. Williams

I don't see Fletcher or Moss retiring, not right when this team is getting good. Both had strong years, so there's no reason to think that they'll become casualties. Reed proved down the stretch that he's good depth, and I think both of those safeties will be onboard next year. Can't wait to get Merriweather back--he looked great in the 3 quarters he played!

He's not a player but may I recommend we cut Danny Smith? When was the last time we blocked a FG, punt, ran back a punt or TD? During the 7 game streak, I rarely saw him chawing his gum in Shanny's face on the sidelines-and we won. For the first time in a long time I see him in a playoff game!

Absolutely no way Helu is going anywhere. He is the perfect 3rd down and change of pace back for this offense. He's fast as hell, plays almost as tough as Morris and is a threat to take it the distance after the catch. People have forgotten all about how good he was last year because we didn't get to see him this year. I don't see Royster going anywhere either but certainly not Helu. I'm very excited to see what he can add to our offense next year. He may see plenty of time not only as the 3rd down back but also in the pistol with RGIII and Morris.

Also, just posted in another thread that I want Madieu Williams gone tonight. Wrote quite a bit about how I was embarrassed to have him on our team considering just how many mental mistakes he made and cost our team all year despite being a damn veteran. The fact that he put on a Skins jersey let alone started this year pisses me off.

Fletcher? Retire or no?

Hall? Cap casualty?

I think Fletcher and Moss are back (the team has too much potential to give up on).

How crazy is our safety situation? Meriweather, Williams, Doughty, Gomes, Bernstine, Pugh, Jackson (and the future's contract dude). We don't have a single FS or SS that we can rely on (as a starter) for the start of next season. Doughty might be the closest one, and (no offense Reed) that is pathetic. Injuries, suspensions, contracts ended and talent problems. At least it can't get much worse, right?

Williams? Ahh.. I don't know. Without knowing Jackson's status til late August, Williams is our best free safety (actually, was it a one year deal for him?). Until we have two more viable options back there, I wouldn't mind keeping him. I mean I would mind, but it'd make some sort of sense.

Meriweather stays. Though maybe he's put on the PUP?

I feel like Hall stays. He's owed a lot, but he's not that easy to replace.

I think Golston is gone, assuming Worthington and Baker are kept and Nield gets healthy.

I agree about Banks and Grossman. Thanks for the memories. Cooley... Great player for us. Hope he retires.

C. Griffin is another one for us I believe (1 yr deal). Not sure what they do there (he faces a year-long suspension if busted again, right? We saw how well that worked for Jackson, though we may have slightly better insurance at corner with Crawford and Minnifield.

I am really looking forward to seeing what pieces the team adds/changes because we do have a great nucleus of young guys and solid vets.

Moss one more year for sure:

Davis we need him, but his injury needs to be evaluated correctly because its a nasty injury

Fletcher, one more year for sure

Hall, played great in the stretch but he needs to restructure or he is gone.

Cooley gone

The two safeties, we bring them back for sure, Merriweather especially is a huge upgrade to what we have, hopefully he is healthy.

Banks - gone

Jackson, we need him bad. I know its going to cost but if anything playing relief for Rak and or Kerrigan would be awesome.

Talk about Kerrigan, I love the kid don't get me wrong but think about this. We could have had AJ Hawk for Kerrigan and Hankerson. Yesterday with AJ Hawk we probably win that game. he is that special.

What we got is an ok performance from Kerrigan, and Hankerson whiffing on a must have 3rd down pass.

Can the Redskins please get rid of 41.The guy is lost.Slap around Hall so he keeps his temper.Get a center that can snap the damn ball.Somebody that can punt better then 38 yards.Other then that Congrats Redskins on a good year.Beating Dallas twice makes it easy to enjoy the days off until next season.

M. Williams should be way gone.

Hankerson is a 50/50 in my book, did not show a whole lot during the year.

Josh Morgan should be on the scout team. The dude looked like he was scared of contact all year.

He had one good game that I remember, and had one out of bounds catch yesterday.

Get some secondary help, get another threat at reciever, and get a frigging decent field to play on.

Hankerson is a 50/50 in my book, did not show a whole lot during the year.

No offense but lets compare Hankerson's season to our other WR's. Hankerson caught 38 passes (of 57 thrown his way,) for 543 yard & 3 td's, which was good enough for 3rd on the team in terms of yards. Garcon caught 44 balls, and Moss caught 41. So to say Hank showed nothing is more than a bit rediculous. I think he is exactly where you want to see a developing WR be at and I would be completely shocked if our starting WRs next year aren't Garcon & Hankerson.

Everyone is just sour on him because of the 1 missed grab on the 3rd down, but to say he didn't have a good year is crazy talk.

Fletcher 1 more year.

Moss 1 more year

Hall becomes a cap casualty or restructures contract. He played well down the stretch and if he can continue that, then I'm ok with having him.

Golston is a cap casualty due to increased youth and depth

Cooley retires

Polumbus stays as depth

Doughty stays

Williams is gone

Merriweather will be available by training camp

Jackson will be brought back as he was invaluable this season down the stretch when they started using him properly.

Archived