Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Andy Reid close to Chiefs deal(He's now the Chiefs new Head Coach)

DCranon21

It's not Arizona, it's Kansas City

The Kansas City Chiefs are on the verge of a deal to make Andy Reid their next head coach, according to league sources.

There still are minor details to work out but after nine hours of meetings Wednesday, one source involved in the talks said "the major issues have been discussed and agreed upon."

One source close to Reid said this morning, "This is going to happen fast."

The two sides spent the day Wednesday meeting at a private airport in the Philadelphia area. Reid had been scheduled to fly to Arizona to speak to Cardinals officials about their head coaching opening, but talks progressed with the Chiefs to the point where no hangups are expected.

The Chiefs' contingent of officials included owner Clark Hunt, general manager Scott Pioli, executive Ryan Petkoff and president Mark Donovan, who used to work in Philadelphia with Reid.

By the end of the day, the expectation amongst the parties in attendance was that a deal would be wrapped up.

One assistant coach aligned with Reid even texted Thursday morning that he is going to Kansas City, not Arizona.

Once the deal is finalized, the next question in Kansas City will shift to the future of Pioli. Reid is expected to want to bring his own personnel men to Kansas City, which does not bode well for the future of Pioli. Reid worked in Philadelphia with former Browns general manager Tom Heckert, who is expected to be one candidate. Reid also is best friends with Packers director of football operations John Dorsey, who has interviewed for other general managers in the past.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8809040/andy-reid-verge-agreement-kansas-city-chiefs-sources

edit:

Just seen an alert on my phone come across. Waiting for the article to come up. Pioli and Chiefs part ways as well.

Scott Pioli, Chiefs agree to part ways

The Kansas City Chiefs and general manager Scott Pioli mutually agreed to part ways after four seasons.

Pioli's deparature comes with the Chiefs on the verge of hiring Andy Reid as their new coach. The Chiefs will hold a meeting with the coaching staff Friday morning, presumably to talk about Kansas City's job search and ongoing talks with Reid, according to sources.

A team source told ESPN, however, that Pioli's departure does not mean a deal has been finalized with Reid.

"After several productive conversations, we made the difficult decision to part ways with Scott Pioli and allow him to pursue other opportunities," Chiefs chairman and CEO Clark Hunt said in a statement. "Scott has been an invaluable member of the Chiefs family since joining us in 2009, and we sincerely appreciate his tremendous contributions over the last four years.

"I know that this was a difficult decision for Scott as well. He has a great deal of appreciation for the history of this franchise, for our players, coaches and employees, and especially our great fans."

Pioli, 47, joined the Chiefs in 2009 after nine seasons with the Patriots, where he helped to build New England's dynasty. But he failed to turn around the Chiefs, who were 23-39 in his four seasons, including a woeful 2-14 in 2012 under Romeo Crennel. Crennel was hired to replace Todd Haley during the 2011 season but was fired after this season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8812387/scott-pioli-general-manager-kansas-city-chiefs

Here is the article about Reid becoming the new coach for the Chiefs

Andy Reid to be new Chiefs coach

Andy Reid has reached an agreement to become the next coach of the Kansas City Chiefs, according to league sources. The contract is now being reviewed by attorneys and is expected to be finalized Friday.

Reid's deal comes shortly after the Chiefs and general manager Scott Pioli mutually agreed to part ways after four seasons.

The Chiefs held a meeting with the coaching staff Friday morning, presumably to talk about Kansas City's job search and ongoing talks with Reid, according to sources.

Reid spent 1999-2012 as Philadelphia's coach, leading the Eagles to the playoffs nine times during that period. He won 130 regular-season games and 10 playoff games. The Chiefs, meanwhile, had 98 wins, three postseason appearances and no postseason wins under five different head coaches, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Pioli, 47, joined the Chiefs in 2009 after nine seasons with the Patriots, where he helped to build New England's dynasty. But he failed to turn around the Chiefs, who were 23-39 in his four seasons, including a woeful 2-14 in 2012 under Romeo Crennel, who was hired to replace Todd Haley during the 2011 season. Crennel was fired Monday.

"I would like to thank Norma, Clark and the Hunt family for the opportunity that they gave me four years ago," Pioli said. "I'd also like to thank the players, coaches, scouts and countless other employees, throughout the organization and at Arrowhead Stadium that have worked so hard during my time here. I would also like to genuinely thank Chiefs fans.

"The bottom line is that I did not accomplish all of what I set out to do. To the Hunt family to the great fans of the Kansas City Chiefs to the players, all employees and alumni, I truly apologize for not getting the job done."

The Chiefs' season was marred by a tragic murder-suicide -- linebacker Jovan Belcher killed his girlfriend, Kasandra Perkins, and then took his own life in the parking lot of Arrowhead Stadium after thanking Pioli and Crennel for everything they had done for him.

One of Pioli's first significant moves in 2009 was trading for quarterback Matt Cassel, who'd been impressive as a fill-in for injured Patriots starter. Pioli proceeded to sign Cassel to a six-year, $63 million deal. Cassel didn't live up to his contract in Kansas City, however, and lost his starting job to Brady Quinn in 2012.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8812387/andy-reid-reaches-agreement-next-coach-kansas-city-chiefs

The Chiefs have pretty good talent to work with, with the big exception of QB. On paper Id argue their o-line is as talented as any unit out there. Similarly their defense, again on paper, is pretty darn good. Not sure if they will ditch the 3-4 since Reid has always been a 4-3 guy but I guess we'll see (though i think Dorsey and Jackson can play DT in a 4-3 pretty effecively moreso Dorsey).

One thing to note is that Reid works wonders with mediocre QBs. He made Kolb look awesome, McNabb was still playing at a high level in Philly and then went to Wash and Minn and sucked. Cassel could be passable short term in his system.

---------- Post added January-3rd-2013 at 12:06 PM ----------

Somewhat of a punk move IMO. The roster is mostly built they just need a QB and he will get that with the number 1 pick

Much tougher to go to Arizona. So he doesn't even go talk to them

Seriously doubt they go QB #1. Not much value there this year.

Wow, I thought for sure he would go to Arizona. I heard that his wife is from the Phoenix area, there's a QB there that he drafted and it's kind of close to the west coast. Yes, he'll have the 1st pick in the draft with KC, but I don't think there's an elite quality QB in this year's draft.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000121552/article/andy-reid-tells-chiefs-he-and-tom-heckert-a-package-deal

Andy Reid tells Chiefs he and Tom Heckert a package deal

Andy Reid has told the Kansas City Chiefs that he's a package deal with former Cleveland Browns general manager Tom Heckert, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported, citing a source with knowledge of Reid's pitch.

If Reid is hired and brings along Heckert as he hopes, it would almost certainly mean the end of current GM Scott Pioli's tenure with the Chiefs.

Reid and Heckert previously worked together with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Reid also plans on interviewing with the Cards and Chargers.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000121544/article/andy-reid-plans-to-interview-with-cardinals-chargers

Going to be interesting to see if Reid wanting Heckert will be a dealbreaker for the Chiefs, or if they choose to toss Pioli. I think the Cards and Chargers would be more willing to take on Heckert.

Somewhat of a punk move IMO. The roster is mostly built they just need a QB and he will get that with the number 1 pick

Much tougher to go to Arizona. So he doesn't even go talk to them

Really? I kind of feel the same way about Arizona - that they are basically only missing a QB.

They drafted an RB this year and they still have Fitz and the rookie from ND at WR. Their D is pretty good.

I would think Arizona is closer to competiting than KC. KC is a mess.

Reid also plans on interviewing with the Cards and Chargers.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000121544/article/andy-reid-plans-to-interview-with-cardinals-chargers

Going to be interesting to see if Reid wanting Heckert will be a dealbreaker for the Chiefs, or if they choose to toss Pioli. I think the Cards and Chargers would be more willing to take on Heckert.

@JasonLaCanfora: Reid will not be traveling to San Diego or Arizona. Issues of staff and structure were hashed out today.

---------- Post added January-3rd-2013 at 01:41 PM ----------

@JasonLaCanfora: sorry, my bad here- deal between Chiefs and Andy Reid is NOW imminent. As in will be finalized likely by end of day

What a strange choice. No QB to speak of.

Maybe he wants to draft his own.

Might speak volumes for how he sees the potential of his former QB (Kolb).

There are some available though and with the first pick he could trade down and add some other skill players easily. I don't know but I bet he feels a lot better than when he was in Philly about turning the team around.

Feels like a pretty good move for Reid and I fully expect the Cheifs to show marked improvement next year. Let's face it, Romeo Crennel is an awful coach.

An awful head coach to be sure. He's the defensive version of Norv Turner perhaps. The Patriots improved under him from 2001-2004, the Jets improved under him 97-98, he's a good D-Coordinator, not a good head coach.

Archived