Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Hello There, Racists!" New Tumblr Page Outing People that Made Racist Tweets/FB Statuses After the Election

#98QBKiller

http://hellothereracists.tumblr.com/

Definitely some offensive (racist) language at that link re: President Obama being reelected.

This page is taking racist tweets & FB statuses about Obama and outing the people's names, where they work, what cities they live in, posting pictures of them, and highlighting previous tweets/FB statuses that were not set to private of them doing dumb & criminal things.

Everyone knows that privacy is something that is far from guaranteed in this age of social media. What are your thoughts on what this site is doing? Is it wrong to put people's dirty laundry out like that or did these people bring this upon themselves by acting like idiots online and assuming that they would somehow remain anonymous despite doing all of this via social media and not paying any attention to privacy settings?

My opinion is they are kind of getting what they deserve. I doubt any of them would step out into society and act like the jackasses they are online, they just felt a sense of false security, assuming that the internet would continue to provide anonymity.

I've always said that if people were somehow required to use their real names and an updated photo of themselves on message boards that everyone would be a lot nicer to each other.

I can see posting there tweets or statuses, but showing where they work, and live seems a little too far.

If they were posting addresses I would definitely agree but it looks like they are just posting what city/state they are from..although it is kind of messed up to post what companies they work for, but then again they put all of that out in the open and didn't seem to have a problem with talking big when they thought there were no consequences.

If its public on Facebook or twitter (as in can be seen by ANYONE not just one's friend) then I'm all for it. Make people think twice about posting blatantly racist and hateful stuff on the Internet.

The sad part is, those folks are probably too dumb to realize what they are saying can be seen by all.

Man, this is messed up. I know people aren't supposed to be racist or whatever, but I am firmly against "snitches", "tattle-tales", etc. This is kind of lame...

that's a pathetic attitude. Racists deserve to be called out. It takes courage to confront or otherwise stand up to injustice, and this is one form of that. This has utterly nothing to do with ratting out a neighbor for smoking pot or something. Would you consider it "snitching" if someone acted on another person abusing a kid or a woman? Letting someone get away with saying effed up things without being called out is just allowing racism itself to slide.

I've got a problem with it.

I can understand it.

But, to me, when you start publishing hateful things about people (even true things), and the person's address, and employer, and things like that, then what you're doing is encouraging somebody else to do something terribly wrong.

that's a pathetic attitude. Racists deserve to be called out. It takes courage to confront or otherwise stand up to injustice, and this is one form of that. This has utterly nothing to do with ratting out a neighbor for smoking pot or something. Would you consider it "snitching" if someone acted on another person abusing a kid or a woman? Letting someone get away with saying effed up things without being called out is just allowing racism itself to slide.

:ols: Every time somebody brings up "snitching" people want to say what about (insert crime here). Of course if somebody was getting molested, beaten, murdered, you gotta protect them.

And yes, racist people needs to be called out, but this just seems lame. For all we know, this person running the website could be a douchebag, child molesting, women/men beating, racist, but nobody is calling him out on it.

What I am trying to say is, mind your own business and let things play out.

---------- Post added November-16th-2012 at 11:44 AM ----------

Public shaming on the net is akin to a biblical stoning.

Yeah, I was going to use the good ole John 8:7 "Yet he who is without sin cast the first stone" but I didn't want to turn it to a religious thing....

And yes, racist people needs to be called out, but this just seems lame. For all we know, this person running the website could be a douchebag, child molesting, women/men beating, racist, but nobody is calling him out on it.

if you have evidence that that is the case, i'll call the cops on them for you, if you're worried about being a "snitch".

BS. racism and other evils need to be confronted, outed, and rooted out. ignoring them is what allows them to become entrenched and normalized.

This is a similar article posted closer to the election -

http://gizmodo.com/5958993/racist-teens-forced-to-answer-for-tweets-about-the-******-president?tag=election-2012&post=54144451

There was an abundance of hate speech on Twitter after Obama's reelection, with people hurling violent and racial epithets. Many of those tweeters were teenagers whose public Twitter accounts feature their real names and advertise their participation in the sports programs at their respective high schools. Calls were placed to the principals and superintendents of those schools to find out how calling the president—or any person of color, for that matter—a "******" and a "monkey" jibes with their student conduct code of ethics.

:ols: Every time somebody brings up "snitching" people want to say what about (insert crime here). Of course if somebody was getting molested, beaten, murdered, you gotta protect them.

that is a pretty weak response....

these other people *could* be doing some bad undisclosed things?? and since theoretically nobody is calling these people out on theoretical bad behavior, those other people shouldn't be called out on OBSERVED bad behavior...? really??

I'm all for this, but I do wonder if it makes sense to out minors. I'm glad to not be held accountable for some of the things I did in high school.

If it is on their profile and they are in high school they are fully capable of understanding that what they put can be seen by literally everybody. If they don't want to be outed, make your profile pr ivate or make your post private or don't post it period.

Archived