Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Chalk Talk Discussion: Greatest Redskin Linebackers of All Time

KDawg

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

With the 80th Anniversary team being announced, I thought it would be interesting for ES to take it's own poll on who we think the greatest linebackers of all time are. Due to the influx of the 3-4 defense, and not wanting to exclude anyone, I figured we could pick the top four (in a public poll) and see who has the most votes at the end of this thing.

Some of the old timers I had a hard time getting statistics for, but I don't want to do a whole lot of talking in the OP, just some numbers and then I'll let everyone else take over. I'm going to hold my vote for a bit myself to see if anyone else has some solid reasoning, but I definitely have four I'd pick right now :)

LaVar Arrington (2000-2005) 78 G, 22.5 sacks, 3 INT, 6 FF, 7 FR, 321 tackles

Monte Coleman (1979-1994) 215 G, 43.5 sacks, 17 INT, 2 FF, 14 FR, 999 tackles

Chuck Drazenovich (1950-1959) 113 G, 15 INT, 9 FR

Chris Hanburger (1965-1978) 187 G, 19 INT, 17 FR

Ken Harvey (1994-1998) 74 G, 41.5 sacks, 1 INT, 13 FF, 6 FR, 326 tackles

Sam Huff (1964-1969) 66 G, 12 INT, 6 FR

Wilber Marshall (1988-1992) 80G, 24.5 sacks, 12 INT, 13 FF, 7 FR, 621 tackles

Harold McLinton (1969-1978) 127 G, 4 INT, 6 FR

Neal Olkewicz (1979-1989) 150 G, 12 sacks, 6 INT, 15 FR

Rusty Tillman (1970-1977) 107 G

London Fletcher (2007-current) 89 G, 7.5 sacks, 8 INT, 8 FF, 5 FR, 517 tackles

Andre Collins (1990-1994) 75 G, 18.5 sacks, 8 INT, 3 FF, 2 FR, 579 tackles

Kurt Gouveia (1987-1994, 1999) 130 G, 3.5 sacks, 7 INT, 0 FF, 1 FR, 573 tackles

Marvcus Patton (1995-1998) 64 G, 11.5 sacks, 6 INT, 6 FF, 2 FR, 403 tackles

Make sure to respond and create discussion. I'm tired about talking about the current product and its state. Let's have some fun with guys who did great things for us!

Chris Hanburger's accolades are insane. He's considered one of the best pass rushing linebackers of all time, too bad he didn't play in an era where they recorded sacks. But just a quick copy pasta...

- Elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2011

- 9× Pro Bowl selection (1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976)

- 4× First-team All-Pro selection (1972, 1973, 1975, 1976)

- 2× Second-team All-Pro selection (1969, 1974)

- 8× First-team All-Conference (1968, 1969, 1970, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976)

- 1972 NFL 101 NFC Defensive Player of the Year

I'm also not positive, but I think he was responsible for making the clothesline sack illegal in the NFL. That was his signature takedown move.

I'm learning that many don't follow the spirit of the thread :ols:

You're supposed to choose four (many have chosen one) AND you're supposed to reply with why! Come on! Make this fun instead of a silly poll :)

---------- Post added November-8th-2012 at 10:28 AM ----------

Chris Hanburger's accolades are insane. He's considered one of the best pass rushing linebackers of all time, too bad he didn't play in an era where they recorded sacks. But just a quick copy pasta...

- Elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2011

- 9× Pro Bowl selection (1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976)

- 4× First-team All-Pro selection (1972, 1973, 1975, 1976)

- 2× Second-team All-Pro selection (1969, 1974)

- 8× First-team All-Conference (1968, 1969, 1970, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976)

- 1972 NFL 101 NFC Defensive Player of the Year

Thank you for the post AZ!! Hanburger was an absolute monster. I've seen bits and pieces of him on TV and in DVDs on the 'Skins and I always came away extremely impressed with his field presence and his ability to play the game.

Monte Coleman was a class act, my dad met him one time at the airport and was a total gentleman. I was too young too appreciate the man's career, but it appears others were not. :)

I do recall being 10 years old and Monte's last season was Norv Turner's rookie season as Head Coach, and that was the year we lost every single home game. Good one Norv.

Hanburger for the obvious stats posted above. I said Ken Harvey because despite being on some bad teams, he was the best player on defense for us. I chose Wilbur Marshall. The reason I did was because despite him not being a Redskin for a long time, his immediate impact for the time he was here was shown. He could flat out play and I would nominate him as the best "free agent" pickup of all time. I was torn between Fletcher, Huff and Coleman as my last choice. I chose Fletcher because up until this year, he's played at the top of his game. When Huff got here, he was not considered elite and his career was on the downswing. I didn't choose Coleman only because he was a part time player for alot of his career.

So mine are:

Hanburger

Harvey

Marshall

Fletcher

Not that I would do it, but no one is looking at Andre Collins #'s and realizing he was actually more productive than London Fletcher in a lot of ways?

I KNOW Collins didn't have the leadership ability that London has, and that certainly counts. But just curious as to why he seems to be getting the shaft :)

Coleman, Hanburger, Huff and Fletcher- all for their production on the field but the other intangibles they brought to the team and game as well.

That's the four I settled on too. I ended up going with Hanburger. He did it at a super high level for a long time for us. You can't get better than that. Coleman's longevity is amazing, but I think Hanburger's peak was higher.

Huff didn't play enough games for us to really overtake those two IMO. Probably the greatest linebacker to ever play as a Redskin, but no the greatest Redskins linebacker--if that makes sense.

I kind of penalize Fletcher for the same. Though he enjoyed the best individual years of his career with us, he made a lot of his bones in St. Louis and Buffalo.

It's hard to believe Fletcher has already played in more games than Lavar though. For one thing, the time with Fletcher has flown by, it's unfortunate he had to be on some of our worst teams ever. It also seemed like Lavar was here forever, but looking back, he really flamed out quick. Maybe not noticing how long a guy has been here is a sign of great play.

Not that I would do it, but no one is looking at Andre Collins #'s and realizing he was actually more productive than London Fletcher in a lot of ways?

I KNOW Collins didn't have the leadership ability that London has, and that certainly counts. But just curious as to why he seems to be getting the shaft :)

I think because of his quiet demeanor on and off he field. He had a short career and although his stats look productive from a tackling perspective he was not known as an impact player. I'm not sure, that's all I got.

I'm suprised alot of people are picking Sam Huff. He was a better player with the Giants and was starting to regress with us.

Awesome thread--I went only with players I actually watched--so Marshall, Fletcher, Harvey Coleman. I loved, loved, loved watching Ken Harvey play. All you could see behind his face mask were the whites of his eyes. He used to feast on the QB during our division games against the Cardinals. Great LB.

---------- Post added November-8th-2012 at 11:56 AM ----------

I think because of his quiet demeanor on and off he field. He had a short career and although his stats look productive from a tackling perspective he was not known as an impact player. I'm not sure, that's all I got.

I'm suprised alot of people are picking Sam Huff. He was a better player with the Giants and was starting to regress with us.

I don't think many of us saw him play, so most people are probably picking him based on his HOF status.

I chose Harvey (the best pass rushing linebacker I ever saw as a Redskins and the classiest player I ever met), Colemon (A true Redskin, he was all about the team during the Gibbs years), Hanburger(very underrated throughout his career and a well deserved trip to the HOF) & Olkewicz(another underrrated player who brought it on every play, a rock in the middle).

Hanburger, Huff, Marshall, and Fletcher

Coleman and Harvey honorable mention

Hanburger finally got HOF, Huff is in HOF and has stayed w/ Redskins through commentating, Marshall was a beast for us and played on the 85 Bears, great at tackling and coverage, Fletcher is amazing with the consecutive games streak and has been a top player at his position through most, if not all, of his career.

I chose Coleman, Harvey, Marshall and Collins:

Here's why: Collins and Fletcher was a tough decision for me. But ultimately, I decided London is going to wind up being the guy I pick down the road, so I chose Collins to throw the guy a bone. He doesn't get much recognition so I thought I'd give him some in a minute, tiny way.

Harvey and Marshall. Tenacious. Destructive. Nasty. Fun to watch. They personify what the word linebacker means.

Coleman: Ridiculous longevity. Essentially 1,000 tackles (second only to Darrell Green in Redskin history).

As stupid as this sounds, I didn't vote Hanburger because of how many votes he was getting. I figured a guy like Collins deserved some love.

My list is a little different. I select Kurt Gouveia, Neal Olkewicz, Mel Kaufman, and Monte Coleman to the All-Time-Come-From-Nowhere Team. These guys were really good linebackers, and though they may not be at the very top of the list of all time greats, they came from lower football pedigrees and made the most of their chances. I like to root for the NFL guys who come from relatively humble football origins and build stellar NFL careers.

Gouveia was a Redskins' 8th round pick out of BYU in 1886, the 213th player selected. He lasted 13 years in the NFL, including 8 with the Redskins. He was on two Redskins Super Bowl winning teams.

Neal Olkewicz was signed in 1979 as an undrafted free agent out of the University of Maryland who played his entire 11 year NFL career with the 'Skins. Olky won two Super Bowls with the Skins.

Mel Kaufman was another Bobby Beathard find, signed as an undrafted free agent from Cal-Poly in 1981. He played his entire 8 year career with the 'Skins, started 78 of 91 games, and played in three Super Bowls, winning two.

Monte Coleman played at tiny University of Central Arkansas, then an NAIA school. He was the 289th player picked in the 1979 NFL draft, in the 11th round by the Redskins. He played 16 seasons in the NFL, all with the Redskins, and is 2nd to Darrell Green all-time for most games played for the franchise. He was a great cover backer.

So, two undrafted free agents, an 8th round pick, and an 11th round pick managed to carve out stellar NFL Super Bowl-winning careers as Redskins linebackers. Combined, these four guys played a whopping 48 years in the NFL.

Boss_Hog,

Any reasoning as to why you chose those four? (I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices, to be honest!) Just curious :)

Chris Hanburger:

-first-team All-NFL four times in a five-season span.

-Named All-Eastern Conference in 1968 and 1969

-All-NFC six times in seven seasons (1970-76)

-Nine Pro Bowls

-19 career interceptions

Sam Huff

-First-team All-Pro selection in four seasons

-Second-team All-Pro selection twice

-All Conference player twice

-5 Pro Bowls

Ken Harvey

-89 sacks in 164 games

-4 Pro Bowls

-Always played at a high level despite playing for some horrible teams (Cardinals, Redskins)

-All Madden Team (Yes I went there :))

London Fletcher

-Ageless wonder (save 2012 :()

-Most tackles from 2000-2009 (1,244)

-3 Pro Bowls

-19 Career interceptions

-Bart Starr Man of the Year Award (2012)

Archived