Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who do you want OFF this team?

paloffs

Danny Smith

The Redskins' special teams has gone through many punters and kickers over the last 7 or so years. I think the only playing position that has had more turnover is QB. Yet, one constant remains - Danny Smith. The two blocked kicks in the first two games was just another reason to throw Danny Smith's name out there for the chopping block.

Jim Haslett

Our team, for I don't remember how long, has been known as a power team. We run the ball well and play hard defense. Haslett replaced Gregg Blache, whom had a "bend, don't break" mentality. Haslett was also in charge of converting our defense from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Our defense struggled early under Haslett, but many gave him a pass because he didn't have 3-4 players. Through the draft and free agency, we collected many of those pieces. Now, in year 3, Haslett's defense is one of the worst in the league. His unit is plagued with injuries, which results in backups starting... so should he still get a pass?

The above names are obvious picks for many. I'm going to call out someone we don't hear much about, but I think is an important person that needs to be replaced.

Ray Wright (Strength and Conditioning coach)

I know every team has injuries. I know some players are more susceptible to injuries than others. But why does it seem that whomever we play, their key players are always there and healthy. And if they're not entirely healthy, they sure LOOK healthy when playing against us?

We have NINE players on injured reserve, three of which are starters (IMO, Helu would've started if he were healthy). The nine players on injured reserve doesn't Jammal Brown, whom we can't seem to get healthy. Sundberg isn't included either... but that was a freak accident.

We also have Garcon, our prized free agent, missing games because somebody stepped on him? And Meriweather hasn't played a regular season snap yet.

Our players seem to get hurt too easily and re-injure themselves. I know Ray Wright can't prevent all injuries (like Sundberg and Garcon), but how about rehabbing our players correctly so they don't re-injure themselves (Orakpo and Helu can't seem to stay healthy). I'm terrified that Jenkins will be the next man down.

Am I overreacting to our players' injuries? Do you guys have another person you want off the team?

Just curious - how is someone stepping on someone's body part fault of the strength and conditioning coach? Or Orakpo hurting himself again trying to tackle someone?

I didn't mean to say Garcon getting stepped on his the SC coach's fault. But why is he missing so many games over it? I'm not suggested he be rushed back or anything so that he gets injured worse... but he just got stepped on...

Orakpo getting injured trying to tackle someone indicates he wasn't fully healthy or his body's not ready for playing football. It's the SC coach's job to get our players ready for the football grind.

As for Haslett...

I didn't want him here in the first place. I remember saying, "Really?" when they hired him to begin with. I just never saw him as a special guy in regards to building great defenses. However, I thought he did a real good job here in DC.

Now that everyone else wants his head, I sort of feel like Haz is getting a raw deal in the personnel area. Our secondary is a mess and I truly think it's because we took such a drastic drop in talent there after Landry and Atogwe departed. Not to mention we have a brand new defensive backs coach. There's got to be some adaptation time with a new position coach and I think we'd have needed that time even if our 2 safeties from last year had stayed. This isn't a condemnation of Raheem Morris at all. It's just a statement about how any unit has to make the transition to a new coach's style and we may be experiencing that change in a more negative fashion due to new personnel as well.

Anyway, back to Haslett. I have never regarded him as a great coach but he did "overachieve" last season in my opinion. I don't necessarily want him gone, but I don't think we'd do any worse with any other experienced DC in the league. I'm just on the fence about him. He deserves more games to get it together because of the success he had here last year.

I'm in full agreement about Danny Smith though. Our special teams play has been sub-par to awful for 10 years. I have no idea how he survives so many regime changes. He must be a heck of a personality.

Danny Smith- for the reasons I have laid out for two straight years now.

Brandon Banks- before one or more of his fumbles start bouncing to the other team. I've never seen a more lucky player in terms of his own fumbles bouncing right back into his hands.

since i believe that long returns are a product of blocks and not specific returner talent... cut his butterfingers before they cost us a game.

That's it.

~Bang

"ES forum"

"Lets cut this dude named Arthur Monk!!!

He can't catch, he talks too much and has no strength to handle bump & run"

"We need to cut him for this guy we got named Malcolm Kelly. Now this guy is as durable as there is. He has longevity written all over him"!

lol

sorry...this is my snaz sarcasm of the Brandon Banks posts about to hit...lol

:ols::ols::ols:

If this were 1986, half this board would go nuts (bad nuts) that we were starting a 5'9" WR with a 4.6 - 40 time.

Exactly...Spot on!

So many Redskin members here, almost always want the wrong guys gone...lol

There were people here wanting Gibbs 2.0 fired

There were people here livid we drafted Sean Taylor ("ah..not another damn safety") lol

But Taylor Jacobs?

He was gonna make Charlie Taylor look like a rookie.

:D:D

"ES forum"

"Lets cut this dude named Arthur Monk!!!

He can't catch, he talks too much and has no strength to handle bump & run"

"We need to cut him for this guy we got named Malcolm Kelly. Now this guy is as durable as there is. He has longevity written all over him"!

lol

sorry...this is my snaz sarcasm of the Brandon Banks posts about to hit...lol

:ols::ols::ols:

did Art Monk fumble practically every single game?

Banks does.

Fumblers = got to go.

~Bang

Exactly...Spot on!

There were people here livid we drafted Sean Taylor ("ah..not another damn safety") lol

But Taylor Jacobs?

I didn't see people livid when Sean Taylor was drafted by us.

Exactly...Spot on!

But Taylor Jacobs?

How the heck would you know about all that given your join date?

You've seriously been lurking regularly on here since 2003, and only decided to sign up so you could join in EIGHT years later?

Forgive me when I say I smell a rat.

Hail.

I'll just throw this out there, what is the deal with Fred Davis? Is he having a down year? I only get to watch the games at a local sports bar, so I miss all the announcers' talk and a more in-depth view of the game, but it seems like he has been kinda quiet I don't think it will pain us too much if we let him walk this year. Has he been getting open but just not been getting the looks from RG3? Is his blocking okay? I honestly don't know, but I just don't hear much about him.

I didn't see people livid when Sean Taylor was drafted by us.

Me either, and if they did they quickly crawled under their respective rocks because I never heard or saw a negative word typed about ST on this forum.

BTW, RIP Sean. His loss definitely set this team back a few years. Imagine if he was still back there? He'd make haz look like a genius :ols:

I know every team has injuries. I know some players are more susceptible to injuries than others. But why does it seem that whomever we play, their key players are always there and healthy. And if they're not entirely healthy, they sure LOOK healthy when playing against us?

We have NINE players on injured reserve, three of which are starters (IMO, Helu would've started if he were healthy). The nine players on injured reserve doesn't Jammal Brown, whom we can't seem to get healthy. Sundberg isn't included either... but that was a freak accident.

We also have Garcon, our prized free agent, missing games because somebody stepped on him? And Meriweather hasn't played a regular season snap yet.

Our players seem to get hurt too easily and re-injure themselves. I know Ray Wright can't prevent all injuries (like Sundberg and Garcon), but how about rehabbing our players correctly so they don't re-injure themselves (Orakpo and Helu can't seem to stay healthy). I'm terrified that Jenkins will be the next man down.

Am I overreacting to our players' injuries? Do you guys have another person you want off the team?

Yes, you're overreacting.

The Bengals were without their starting guard, their starting center, their second tight end, their starting outside linebacker, and Leon Hall. They have 9 people on IR and one on PUP. The reason why it always seemed like we were behind is because we lacked any sort of depth compared to the teams we were facing. Injuries are a part of the NFL. They suck. Seems like the Giants have a dozen people end up on IR. The Packers in their Super Bowl year had a ton of injuries themselves.

Injuries happen. What doomed us before was that we'd get a couple injuries here and there and then we'd be totally screwed because our depth was so horrible. Now we're a little bit better.

I'll just throw this out there, what is the deal with Fred Davis? Is he having a down year? I only get to watch the games at a local sports bar, so I miss all the announcers' talk and a more in-depth view of the game, but it seems like he has been kinda quiet I don't think it will pain us too much if we let him walk this year. Has he been getting open but just not been getting the looks from RG3? Is his blocking okay? I honestly don't know, but I just don't hear much about him.

He was sort of invisble vs the Saints, but since then he's our top receiver.

11 receptions for 142 so far.

Funny how perceptions are.. a lot of folks feel he's been having a bit of a down year, and i think it's because he's had a couple of drops, and he's not the only big threat out there anymore. Last year when we needed a play, it was pretty much him or nothing.

Now we've got a lot of exciting players on offense, especially at QB.

might be rubbing a bit off of Sleepy's shine.

~Bang

Danny Smith

The Redskins' special teams has gone through many punters and kickers over the last 7 or so years. I think the only playing position that has had more turnover is QB. Yet, one constant remains - Danny Smith. The two blocked kicks in the first two games was just another reason to throw Danny Smith's name out there for the chopping block.

Jim Haslett

Our team, for I don't remember how long, has been known as a power team. We run the ball well and play hard defense. Haslett replaced Gregg Blache, whom had a "bend, don't break" mentality. Haslett was also in charge of converting our defense from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Our defense struggled early under Haslett, but many gave him a pass because he didn't have 3-4 players. Through the draft and free agency, we collected many of those pieces. Now, in year 3, Haslett's defense is one of the worst in the league. His unit is plagued with injuries, which results in backups starting... so should he still get a pass?

The above names are obvious picks for many. I'm going to call out someone we don't hear much about, but I think is an important person that needs to be replaced.

I agree with Haslett and Danny Smith. I think Haslett has really gotten to predictable. I dont think our talent on defense dictates 31st in the NFL. Danny Smith has always been not that great. We havent had a a top special teams unit in quite a while and the coaching just doesnt seem to be there.

Wright I havent really thought about, but i think our training staff is more to blame as the minor injuries always seem to come back as soon as the player comes back and i attribute that to 1 of these 2 things. The rehab program from the injury was not good or the training staff rushed them back before they are ready to go. Seems to me that recurring injuries are a big problem.

Me either, and if they did they quickly crawled under their respective rocks because I never heard or saw a negative word typed about ST on this forum.

BTW, RIP Sean. His loss definitely set this team back a few years. Imagine if he was still back there? He'd make haz look like a genius :ols:

Honestly our defense and team have yet to fully recover from that loss. It's not often you stumble onto a player with once in a generation talent who has the potential to rewrite how his position is played. Players like that take you places. He was the only guy we've had in decades who was truly a game changer. RG3 looks like he'll be the next one. I can't think of any others we've had in a long, long time.

So far, the team has six fumbles...two by Banks.

The other four by RG3...oh well...I guess we better send him packing.

Banks also had a muffed punt.

RG3 also touches the ball much more than Banks. I wonder how the percentages would look on how many plays they have the ball.

Archived