Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Rotoworld - Raiders waive 2011 third rd pick (T) Barksdale

hail2redskns

The real questions are why was he 1) cut so fast? 2) a 3rd round pick? and 3) not able to crack the Raider's line up?

He can't be any worse than Black and I'm fine with taking a look as long as it's for depth.

But the pragmatist in me thinks he screams the 3rd round version of Andre Johnson.

The book on him is that he has a lack of aggression and doesn't move laterally very well. At 325 pounds, he's not a great zone fit if he's that size without mobility.

He's got good arm length and plays with balance, but he's not a great fit for this team.

I'd prefer Compton over him.

Remember that Oakland also runs a primarily zone scheme. In 2011 Oakland may have still been running a man scheme before the recent regime change. Obviously our guys will perform due dilligence but I wouldn't expect a signing to be imminent.

Exactly. Oakland was running more of a power scheme when he was drafted, but they've moved to zone blocking now. He definitely wouldn't fit with us.

Remember that Oakland also runs a primarily zone scheme. In 2011 Oakland may have still been running a man scheme before the recent regime change. Obviously our guys will perform due dilligence but I wouldn't expect a signing to be imminent.

Really? I thought Tom Cable was a ZBS guy (rumored to be coming here before accepting another job and the Skins went with Foerrester). Regardless I agree with most everyone else seems like a poor zone scheme fit.

The book on him is that he has a lack of aggression and doesn't move laterally very well. At 325 pounds, he's not a great zone fit if he's that size without mobility.

He's got good arm length and plays with balance, but he's not a great fit for this team.

I'd prefer Compton over him.

Given our OL situation would you still give him a look?

Beggars can't be choosers, you know...

I thought it was Tony Bergstrom... I almost had a heart attack. I was so pissed when they drafted him right before we picked.

EDIT: Here is the pre-draft write up on Barksdale

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2011jbarksdale.php

Joseph Barksdale Scouting Report

By Matt McGuire

Strengths:

Solid size and frame to add bulk

Long arms

Very light on his feet

Fluid, smooth athlete

Outstanding technician

A natural knee bender and keeps pads low

Love his balance and body control

Patient pass protector; sits in his stance, not over-aggressive

Displays explosiveness

Nice range and can be isolated 1v1

Reacts quickly to counter moves; good instincts

Understands angles

Comfortable in space

Starter in SEC since sophomore year

Terrific hand punch; keeps hands inside

Fantastic agility

Gets solid arm extension

Moves to second level with ease

Heavy hands

Highly consistent in pass protection

Huge upside and potential

Durable

Great skill set for an NFL left tackle

Weaknesses:

Doesn't always finish his blocks

Not the most powerful run blocker

A little finesse; might lack a mean streak

Could get more push in run game

Occasionally misses assignments

Lacks some vision and awareness

Summary: I don't understand why Barksdale isn't more well regarded as a 2011 NFL Draft prospect nationally, but I really don't care. I have watched a lot of tape on the most lauded 2010 NFL Draft tackle prospects, and Barksdale's games are easily the best. He has a very high upside and has the raw talent to be an elite left tackle in the NFL with the prototype technique to boot. He needs to prove he can man the blind side as a senior at LSU, but I think when it's all said and done, he will at least go in the first two rounds.

I have questions with Barksdale (pure speculation on my part) because he seems to miss a block or two per game, and I'm slightly concerned about his intelligence. That said, I'm giving Barksdale a first-round grade to start the 2010 season and he's my No. 1 offensive tackle prospect for the 2011 NFL Draft.

Player Comparison: Joe Staley. Staley and Barksdale both have the raw athleticism and high level of technique you look for in left tackles, but they are both finesse pass protectors who aren't very powerful in the run game.

EDIT II:

Also, keep 2 things in mind.

1) The Raiders took Willie Smith away from us and cut this guy

2) They and the Texans both run the same offense that we do... so if they took Smith over him, then we will likely not like him more than we liked Smith.

But as of right now, I already like him more than I like Jordan Black.

Given our OL situation would you still give him a look?

Beggars can't be choosers, you know...

Maybe a PS look with a call up to Tom "Straight Outta" (See, GHH, he has the nickname now) Compton.

But, I'd evaluate him first and figure out why he was released.

Maybe a PS look with a call up to Tom "Straight Outta" (See, GHH, he has the nickname now) Compton.

But, I'd evaluate him first and figure out why he was released.

I'd be interested to get your take on this:

Also, keep 2 things in mind.

1) The Raiders took Willie Smith away from us and cut this guy

2) They and the Texans both run the same offense that we do... so if they took Smith over him, then we will likely not like him more than we liked Smith.

But as of right now, I already like him more than I like Jordan Black.

I'd be interested to get your take on this:

In total agreement.

Frank Pollack is Oakland's offensive line coach. He comes from Houston. He's a big ZBS guy.

If they cut him, we won't want him. But again, I'd take a look at his film and evaluate first. Sometimes another man's trash is another man's treasure.

My full diagnosis: Do your due diligence via film. If you like it, work him out. If he looks okay, sign to PS.

Archived