Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Rob Jackson make Orakpo expendable?

authentic

Jackson_Rob_TD.jpg

I know some may kill me for this, others (the minority) may agree. But thats besides the point... But, since last season, up until Sunday's game, I've been wrestling with the thought that if Jackson continues to play like he did this past week vs Cincy, does it make Orakpo expendable. Thus a candidate for a possible trade in the offseason..

From what i understand Orakpo is due to be a FA after the 2013 season. And even after a padestrian 2011 and a short, injury plagued 2012 season, he may still look for top dollar for his position... Look i love Orakpo (Hence the sig :ols:), but IMO he has been a bit overrated as one 2 best players on defense. Actually, he's our 3rd best LB with obviously Fletch, being #1 and Kerrigan quickly shooting up to #2. After Rak's rookie season, which he had 11 sacks, most of us thought that he was on his way to being a star pass rusher, in the mode of Demarcus Ware and Terrell Suggs. Unfortunately, it appears that he has regressed since then, mostly due to having a small repertoire of moves, which he has claimed to have finally worked on this past offseason. But to be fair to him, who knows how his offseason work would have manifested on the field over the course of this season.

Nevertheless, my overall point is, if Rob Jackson (who has a small sample size of PT during the Reg Season) continues to play as he did as he did on Sunday or at other point in his career. Does it make a Orakpo expendable (i.e. explore trade options in the off season)? do we pay him top dollar after next season? Is it a big drop off in production between Rak and RJax?... what do you think?

I think so. Rak hasn't been the player I thought he should be. Now he has been a good player, but not great. I think its something the FO has to think about

As much as I hate to get rid of players that we drafted only to see them go somewhere else to do something big. It is a tough call. If he does get injured again next year entering his FA year, I think you may have to hold on to him since he can't command big money

http://prod.static.redskins.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/WAS/centerpieces/home-page-centerpieces/Jackson_Rob_TD.jpg

I know some may kill me for this, others (the minority) may agree. But thats besides the point... But, since last season, up until Sunday's game, I've been wrestling with the thought that if Jackson continues to play like he did this past week vs Cincy, does it make Orakpo expendable. Thus a candidate for a possible trade in the offseason..

From what i understand Orakpo is due to be a FA after the 2013 season. And even after a padestrian 2011 and a short, injury plagued 2012 season, he may still look for top dollar for his position... Look i love Orakpo (Hence the sig :ols:), but IMO he has been a bit overrated as one 2 best players on defense. Actually, he's our 3rd best LB with obviously Fletch, being #1 and Kerrigan quickly shooting up to #2. After Rak's rookie season, which he had 11 sacks, most of us thought that he was on his way to being a star pass rusher, in the mode of Demarcus Ware and Terrell Suggs. Unfortunately, it appears that he has regressed since then, mostly due to having a small repertoire of moves, which he has claimed to have finally worked on this past offseason. But to be fair to him, who knows how his offseason work would have manifested on the field over the course of this season.

Nevertheless, my overall point is, if Rob Jackson (who has a small sample size of PT during the Reg Season) continues to play as he did as he did on Sunday or at other point in his career. Does it make a Orakpo expendable (i.e. explore trade options in the off season)? do we pay him top dollar after next season? Is it a big drop off in production between Rak and RJax?... what do you think?

Let me break it down for you, Dr.-Jack-style...one the other hand, let's not do that.

To answer your question...NO!!!!!!!!!!! (I'll probably be back later in order to :beatdeadhorse:)

Interesting thought. It depends on what you could get for him I would think. It seems to me that Orakpo is pretty highly regarded, so if you could get a top 10 DB, or RT, I'd go for it. We are too thin at these positions to have the luxury of 2 strong OLBs. I think the other part of this is how does Kerrigan play the rest of the season? Should be interesting to watch.

Unfortunately with his recurring pec injury, he's damaged goods. I suspect his trade value has plummeted with the injury risk factor. That helps the Redskins in contract negotiations with him - he's going to have to realize that he won't be able to command top dollar given his injury history and future risk.

I've been a Rob Jackson fan since his first year here as a DE. He looked like the real deal, and he's clearly made a smooth transition to linebacker. Let's hope he keeps the production up as he settles in as a starter for a whole season.

After Rob Jackson caught that interception for a TD, I told my brother we should trade Orakpo next season. I was only half joking.

If RJax can get to the QB on a consistent bases, and prove he's better in coverage....then trading Rak could be an option (especially if we can get back a 1st or even a 2nd for him).

I'm not saying we should do it, unless Rob J goes all ape shat on us and has 18 sacks and 4 ints.

I think so. Rak hasn't been the player I thought he should be. Now he has been a good player, but not great. I think its something the FO has to think about

Are you being serious? Sarcasm desn't come through very well on a message board. One interception does not an All-Pro make.Remember Chis Horton anyone? The OP said it himself that Jackson (Who I'd love to see excel) has had a small sample size. He might prove himself to be a serviceable (hopefully better) Linebacker, but lets not get carried away about trading Orakpo...At least not yet.

As good as I think Rob Jackson is for us (and he actually is quite good), I don't think his sample size in game is large enough for us to make this leap. He had a few outstanding plays for us, I agree. But to say he's better than Rak at this point is a bit premature. Rak does a lot more than people realize he does :)

Any idea what the trade value would be for a young Pro Bowl LB coming off a non-career threatening injury might be? Do we have any recent trades to benchmark it to? Alternatively, could we reasonably expect a 3rd round compensatory pick to be allotted to us if we keep Orakpo next year but let another team sign him to bookoo bucks as a FA?

IMO, I always felt like Chris Wilson was a better pass rusher than Orakpo. Wilson and Orakpo both have a limited set of moves, but Wilson's primary move seems to be better than Orakpo's (assuming the refs continue to not enforce the obvious holding calls). I think, especially after the RG3 trade, I'd rather see us get a mid-rounder for Orakpo and get by with a combination of Rob Jackson, Chris Wilson, and Lorenzo Alexander than pay Orakpo top 5 linebacker money.

Are you being serious? Sarcasm desn't come through very well on a message board. One interception does not an All-Pro make.Remember Chis Horton anyone? The OP said it himself that Jackson (Who I'd love to see excel) has had a small sample size. He might prove himself to be a serviceable (hopefully better) Linebacker, but lets not get carried away about trading Orakpo...At least not yet.

Yeah, i'm trying to be as objective as possible, and hold everything in its proper context. All i'm saying is that

1. through his first 3 full seasons, Rak has not lived up to his full potential as a game-changing, top tier OLB/pass rusher.

2. "IF" RJax continues to produce as he did vs Cincy, IMO, we should explore our options with Rak in the offseason.. Actually we probably should regardless.

As good as I think Rob Jackson is for us (and he actually is quite good), I don't think his sample size in game is large enough for us to make this leap. He had a few outstanding plays for us, I agree. But to say he's better than Rak at this point is a bit premature. Rak does a lot more than people realize he does :)

I completely agree. He looks promising though. Hate to say it, but converting 'Rak to a 3-4 OLB is looking similar to Andre Carter.

I hope my post didn't come across as implying that. If it did, my bad. but no, i don't think that Jackson is a better player than Rak. But, from a bang-for-your-buck perspective, is it out of the realm of possibility that we explore our options with Rak if Jackson is able to make an impact as a starter for a full 13 games this season.

After Rak's rookie season, which he had 11 sacks, most of us thought that he was on his way to being a star pass rusher, in the mode of Demarcus Ware and Terrell Suggs. Unfortunately, it appears that he has regressed since then, mostly due to having a small repertoire of moves, which he has claimed to have finally worked on this past offseason. But to be fair to him, who knows how his offseason work would have manifested on the field over the course of this season.

First three seasons:

Demarcus Ware: 33.5 sacks

Terrell Suggs: 30.5

Brian Orakpo: 28.5

I'd say he's already in that class.

For further reference:

Jared Allen: 27.5

Clay Matthews: 29.5

Lamar Woodley: 29

Orakpo is doing just fine. Fans just seem to have unrealistic expectations of what an elite pass rusher is.

I completely agree. He looks promising though. Hate to say it, but converting 'Rak to a 3-4 OLB is looking similar to Andre Carter.

Perhaps Rak may be better served as a 43 DE, but i don't think he's as bad as Carter in the transition. AC was literally like a fish out of water... true definition of the (square peg / round hole) theory.. :ols:

I say keep them both. I love rack and love Ron especially since some of my friends went to school with him in Stratford, ct. And friend was his teacher lol but hey having depth at this position is key. Rob had 1 good game guy take it easy. Let's see him get some sacks now.

And rack I wanna see how he does after surgery... I do believe he had surgery last year on the same issue so it will be interesting to see how he handles it both himsel and his body.

Really? A 7th rounder who just had one good game and we want to replace Rak?

I think Jackson has more penalties then he does sacks.

Is he good depth? yes....

possible starter? (We'll have to see more)

Replace Rak? NO!

Also to add on to the info on Rak's first 3 years

Year 1 - 4-3 with Carter (11 Sacks)

Year 2 - 3-4 New system, and with Carter (who did not fit the system) (8.5 sacks)

Year 3 - 3-4 without an Off Season (9 sacks)

Year 4 - 3-4 Played 2 games, but really he only played like 3 Quarters? = 1 Sack

Ugh. Another damn case of "OMG the back up played good, screw the proven player". My goodness, Rob Jackson has a solid game, and your willing to try and talk about getting rid of a player who has one good game.

Also "Pedestrian" 2011? When is 9 sacks and 3 forced fumbles "Pedestrian"?

And if Kerrigan only has 9 sacks and 3 forced fumbles this year, will you create a thread about getting rid of him for an unproven player.

Sorry to pick on you, just frustrated everyone wants to get rid of young, proven, talent, for young unproven talent.

First three seasons:

Demarcus Ware: 33.5 sacks

Terrell Suggs: 30.5

I'd say he's already in that class.

For further reference:

Jared Allen: 27.5

Clay Matthews: 29.5

Lamar Woodley: 29

Orakpo is doing just fine. Fans just seem to have unrealistic expectations of what an elite pass rusher is.

I think this needs context.. because the numbers suggest that he's top-tier. But i think the difference is in determining "when" in the game those plays are made. How many times can we recall where Rak has made a game changing or game ending sack or FF? Not saying that he doesn't possess the talent or the work ethic to become that. But the players above, IMO, are in another class.

Perhaps Rak may be better served as a 43 DE, but i don't think he's as bad as Carter in the transition. AC was literally like a fish out of water... true definition of the (square peg / round hole) theory.. :ols:

Yeah he was. I should've been more clear. "rak is better suited as a 4-3 end IMO. Which Carter was also.

Archived